Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«805 »
Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

I'm sorry, I don't mean to hate on anyone's ship crush, but to me this is the most boring generic ArtStation resume portfolio filler that I've ever seen. To me it has no soul, no story, and the the design doesn't really look like it makes any kind of mechanical or engineering sense, even within the "laws" of the universe. But I understand design/art development even less than I understand game development. Maybe someone can help explain to me why I find this SC design unappealing while I find this...

... to be awesome? I've heard people say that the art/design department of CIG is there best department, but I don't really get it. None of their ships really stand out to me. None of them are like, "Man! I really want to fly that!". The Mole and Starfarer are alright I guess.

I think it's because everything in Star Citizen is stolen a tribute to other concepts so it all ends up being watered down and generic. If you Google "Sci-fi dropship" you'll get loads of art and renders that look almost exactly like it; it's so generic that looking at the posted JPG I immediately realized it was the dropship CIG sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

It would be a sad error in judgement to mistake me for a corpse.

Clapping Larry

And just like in real life, money won't buy respect.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

It would be a sad error in judgement to mistake me for a corpse.

Clapping Larry

Quavers posted:

Top post on the subreddit right now:

Happy Birthday, Citizen One!

Happy birthday Chris! o7

Sucks that the photo posted is from that awful Forbes character-attack article tho, those "journalists" hosed over Chris and Sandi nastily

The image path is Forbesimg.com. Crobear will be happy that the Forbes article is rising up the Google rankings for him and Star Citizen

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattpe...e-ready-to-play

That is the face of a man wracked with pain as he desperately holds his leg so as to sit like an indian, his knees threate ing to explode from the phsyical strain of the maneuver

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

Invoking fairy dust is not a crime.

I mean, in what other game can you get experiences like this:

quote:

Well I was able to get past the character creator, and spent a couple minutes making a guy.

Got into game to try and see the expo for once. Tried to rent a ship for 0 credits but it kept timing out. Did this for all the ships I tried.

Then I figured I'd go do a delivery mission but stopped to eat since I was "hungry"... Took nearly a minute for the burrito to show up in hand, but then discovered I couldn't put my helmet back on, or modify any of my gear further for that matter. Killing myself caused me to respawn with an MRE in hand that I tried to buy like 20 minutes prior but didn't seem to register. Still couldn't put on my helmet.

Logged out and tried a different server in AUS this time in hopes of wearing a helmet. Forced me to make a character again. Then got infinite load.

Meh. I'm out.

BDSSE!

trucutru fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 28, 2020

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

If I push this button, you will both be dangerously transported into my main brain game frame, where it is very dangerous.

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

I'm sorry, I don't mean to hate on anyone's ship crush, but to me this is the most boring generic ArtStation resume portfolio filler that I've ever seen. To me it has no soul, no story, and the the design doesn't really look like it makes any kind of mechanical or engineering sense, even within the "laws" of the universe. But I understand design/art development even less than I understand game development. Maybe someone can help explain to me why I find this SC design unappealing while I find this...

... to be awesome? I've heard people say that the art/design department of CIG is there best department, but I don't really get it. None of their ships really stand out to me. None of them are like, "Man! I really want to fly that!". The Mole and Starfarer are alright I guess.

Yeah I'm not going to defend Star Citizen's art, I think most of it is reheated Olive Garden blandness, I just kind of like the Redeemer because the studio obviously dislikes it so much and I am fond of that kind of game ephemera.

The main reason I find Star Citizen's art uninspiring is because it has no core tenet. Do ships need engines in space? Do they need wings? Thrusters? What is the principle of motion that they operate by? What are the design principles that spring from having cheap-as-in-free artificial gravity? What is the risk, structurally, of windows vs internal view screens? Is it safe to attach cargo outside your ship or does it all need to be safely contained during quantum flight? Star Citizen has no answer to any of these. For any principle you set out, you're going to find other ships that violate it. Chunky ships, sleek ships, windowed ships, ships that are clearly built for lift, ships that don't are about lift, big engine intakes, no engine intakes, cargo inside, cargo outside. It's just "Whatever, whenever."

Lacking any constraints, the art becomes extremely boring. It's clear that it is more a case of meeting Chris's design sense with every individual piece instead of trying to position it within a wider world.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

If I push this button, you will both be dangerously transported into my main brain game frame, where it is very dangerous.

Like, thinking about Elite. Let's list some principles that you can sort of use as guidelines for their ship art:

* Ships get around real space via big thruster arrays, and rotate/orient in real time through extra thrusters dotted around the ship. All ships need these and display these prominently.

* Ships do not need to be aerodynamic because their extra thrusters will produce enough lift in most situations. You'll see ships of all kinds of wildly un-flightworthy geometric shapes, and you'll also notice that some ships have a lot of trouble on planets when you turn so that not enough thrusters can push you off the ground.

* Ships have a need to radiate heat, and every ship will display prominent radiators when spooling up QT or otherwise doing hot stuff.

* Ships always land on a single 2D surface with gravity, be it a pad or a planet, so all ships have deployable landing gear and fit within certain pad sizes.

* Ships have hardpoints for attaching utilities and weapons, these tend to be retractable so they can be stowed for QT and landing

* Ships have a standardized set of pilot HUDs such that every cockpit is going to be broadly similar with at most a different layout for the same instruments

And so on and so forth. You can still produce a huge variety of ships! But suddenly when you see something like the mamba:

or the cobra:

it's easy to get the impression that they're from the same body of ships, the same universe, because they obey all of the design points mentioned above.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Goon Top-Secret Deep State False Flag Operations Commander

Viscous Soda posted:

I think it's because everything in Star Citizen is stolen a tribute to other concepts so it all ends up being watered down and generic. If you Google "Sci-fi dropship" you'll get loads of art and renders that look almost exactly like it; it's so generic that looking at the posted JPG I immediately realized it was the dropship CIG sold.

I canít say any of the ships are amazing original artwork, but for the most part I think they at least look cool. CIG is really good at marketing and designing them in a way that lets you project all of your space nerd fantasies on them, especially since you can walk through them in first person. Of course none of it works or will ever work in any gameplay sense, but I can see allure of them at least back in the days before it became blatantly obvious that the game would never be finished.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

I think most of the ship designs in CIG are overdesigned as gently caress, or look like they're from a totally different game.
Seb, your continuing adventures in this pile is making me want to reinstall this thing and see if it even bothers to run.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

I bet almost anyone here can identify the sounds alone of the X-Wing, Tie Fighter, and Millenium Falcon. Just the sound. These were dreamed up in the 70s and are in use to this day.

Chris Roberts believes he's in that creative camp, and all his stolen and/or uninspired hack designs are an equivalent IP. That alone says everything about this project.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

I bet almost anyone here can identify the sounds alone of the X-Wing, Tie Fighter, and Millenium Falcon. Just the sound. These were dreamed up in the 70s and are in use to this day.

Chris Roberts believes he's in that creative camp, and all his stolen and/or uninspired hack designs are an equivalent IP. That alone says everything about this project.

To be fair, imagine being an artist working under him. The man has no clear cut aesthetic and changes what the gently caress he wants multiple times a day.

I'd just wing it for a paycheck and do my own portfolio work for when I get inevitably fired.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Full Burn is better than John Williams

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

To be fair, imagine being an artist working under him. The man has no clear cut aesthetic and changes what the gently caress he wants multiple times a day.

I'd just wing it for a paycheck and do my own portfolio work for when I get inevitably fired.

Full Burn is better than John Williams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm loathe to say it but I feel like we need to do an ARGcast. This poo poo is wild.

Perhaps you also feel hollow, like death?

«805 »