Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
*$250m with $60+ million in known investments, plus tens of millions in tax breaks*

why does everyone hate on this small indie game star citizen????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

When CIg does put out ships that look decent, they often gently caress it up by fudging the details and not thinking things through.

For example, the Vanguard: punches above its weight

Or the Carrack: punches above its weight

PS: Still can't believe *noone* figured out beforehand that the Freelancer's top turret punches above its weight

Hmmm. I see the connection.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Top headline this hour: why is wagner james au such a dipshit?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

no_recall posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO8mbKZHFSc

I was watching several DCS tutorial videos cause the in game tutorials suck when this suddenly started playing. So there you have it the Javelin! Its non playable AI operated Destroyer that you must, absolutely must have in your fleet.

They're sold out.

Good thing I invested wisely and I've got 42 of them. :smuggo:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
:lol: I want it to release.

Yeah, succeed if it could be possible. But it isn't. It just is not.

In which case, I'm happy if they "release" it or dump it on the faces of backers before the fall of CI~G for the laughs.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
By the way, did we get the SQ42 progress video already?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Quavers posted:

:shepspends: If the scope were smaller, I wouldn't be invested in the project.

:homebrew: I am a veteran and I disagree. Enlisted Jul 7, 2014 The scope is not too big. If the scope were smaller I would not support the game to the degree that I do.[/i]

It really is true- there are certain consumers that are absolutely warning signs that your product is going to fail. It's these guys, right here.

"If it was possible I wouldn't support it!"

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beexoffel posted:

I don't think I did, but I gladly will: Derek called it.

:bravo::iceburn::master::bravo:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

AbstractNapper posted:

By the way, did we get the SQ42 progress video already?

Video progress is up 20%!

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Time_pants posted:

Okay... what?!

I don't have the clip, but it was some Japanese show talking about obesity in America. One of the clips was of Disneyland (I think) where just by chance Ben Lesnick happened to be caught on camera. Unsurprisingly the hosts were amazed by Ben's size, even in America where obesity is common, Ben stands out.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Viscous Soda posted:

I don't have the clip, but it was some Japanese show talking about obesity in America. One of the clips was of Disneyland (I think) where just by chance Ben Lesnick happened to be caught on camera. Unsurprisingly the hosts were amazed by Ben's size, even in America where obesity is common, Ben stands out.

Holy poo poo this is new to me. Incredible.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Mr. article writer, Crobblers is a portmanteau for Chris Roberts who cobbles things together. It feels nicer on the tongue than Crobbers.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Scruffpuff posted:

How have you not seen this?
Ben and Alyx were spotted grazing, they put comedy tuba music on it and poo poo, it was insane

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

The real question on everyone's mind, what is Chris Robert's onomatopoeia?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

It is truly one of those glitch in the Matrix coincidences.

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

The Titanic posted:

But unless that style appeals to you, you basically won't feel inclined to play in that game world as a whole.

With CIG, you can have the halo drop ship, some weird alien ship, something like the dropships from Alien, and also something big and chunky and something neat and sleek, all of which look like they come from different universes you are familiar with and will appeal to you.

So by CIG not adhering to your design guidelines, I'm pretty sure that helped them to be "ever to you always wanted!" to everybody simultaneously. It has definitely helped their sales.

Don't forget Final Fantasy ship, or the EVE online ship!

vs

and

Star Citizen has a thing of stealing designs and given light re-texture. Is there a Harmony Gold of spaceships? I would enjoy seeing the fireworks of CIG stealing a design from a Harmony Gold type company.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

XK posted:

Mr. article writer, Crobblers is a portmanteau for Chris Roberts who cobbles things together. It feels nicer on the tongue than Crobbers.

…also, Crobber, for obvious reasons.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

I never really understood the space forklift thing. It's a space forklift. EVE wasn't exactly breaking new aesthetic ground here. One might say Crobbler has the advantage when it comes to space construction equipment.

The Titanic posted:

Hmmm. I see the connection.

Some definite opportunities here for text replacer plugins.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
if there is one thing you def need in zero g it's a massive forklift

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

peter gabriel posted:

if there is one thing you def need in zero g it's a massive forklift

I'm still waiting for CR to put in the crowning creative achievement of his life in the game; the space bulldozer. I'd friggen buy a space bulldozer!

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

Don't forget Final Fantasy ship, or the EVE online ship!

vs

and

Star Citizen has a thing of stealing designs and given light re-texture. Is there a Harmony Gold of spaceships? I would enjoy seeing the fireworks of CIG stealing a design from a Harmony Gold type company.

Isn't Harmony Gold the Harmony Gold of spaceships? Actually, I wonder if any CI(G) ships are close enough to an F-14 for HG to get involved in the comedy.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

If that is a "what the gently caress" then we could tell you stuff about this project that would blow your mind. Ticklers in black, feminist pedophiles, hair excess, amazed Japanese TV hosts, and so much stuff that has been lost to time.

I don't remember the bit about amazed Japanese TV hosts. What was that about?

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Viscous Soda posted:

Holy poo poo

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Ben, fat??

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

It's really something when the saucer-centric design from the original 60s Star Trek managed to come up with something not "aerodynamic with wings" because they understood at least the very fundamentals of how a vacuum eliminates the need for wings, and even went as far as to point out that the ships themselves are space-bound and built in space shipyards.

I think the original Enterprise design also had the nacelles (?) so far from the rest of the ship because the designer(s) figured they might be dangerous to have too close to the actual crew areas.

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

I'm sorry, I don't mean to hate on anyone's ship crush, but to me this is the most boring generic ArtStation resume portfolio filler that I've ever seen. To me it has no soul, no story, and the the design doesn't really look like it makes any kind of mechanical or engineering sense, even within the "laws" of the universe. But I understand design/art development even less than I understand game development. Maybe someone can help explain to me why I find this SC design unappealing while I find this...

... to be awesome? I've heard people say that the art/design department of CIG is there best department, but I don't really get it. None of their ships really stand out to me. None of them are like, "Man! I really want to fly that!". The Mole and Starfarer are alright I guess.

Need a B5 game so I can fly a destroyer, or something

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Viscous Soda posted:

In so many ways, I really hate that I am so morbidly fascinated by this trainwreck. For one thing, I cannot share it with anyone else. Anytime I try, either there is just so, so, so much that it sounds like I'm just making poo poo up, or the complexity and interconnectedness of the ineptitude and corruption is so loving staggering that it quickly turns into an interminable chain of "well, first I have to tell you this story so I can tell you this other story so I can tell you another story so I can tell you that story so I can actually get to the original point I was trying to make 15 minutes ago."

There's just so much. One doomed project helmed by a moron suspended indefinitely in a hideous state of un-life by a cult of brainwashed maniacs in hopes that it might one day barf up a magic elixir to finally free them from the sweaty, flabby prison of their own lives.

How do you even explain that to a person who isn't so broken and stupid as to waste 6 irreplaceable years on a dead, gay message board following what can only be charitably described as "the ongoing situation" that somehow spun out of something so mundane as a Kickstarter campaign for a spiritual successor to some idiot space shooter computer game series from the 90s? Where the gently caress do you even begin? How do you tell them that the fact that the social contract isn't real and--get this--you can just... get $350 million by asking for it in exchange for drawings of spaceships? And somehow that's one of the least galling things about the whole loving epic poem that has somehow been penned in the margins of what we thought was supposed to be an account of a civilized world? What do you even say??? Buy an Idris.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Viscous Soda posted:

:eyepop:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Frog Act posted:

i went and looked up the initial constellation trailer and lmao. are these little caveman aliens part of the lore? do people just regularly find new planets and land on them willy nilly in this universe? has nobody heard of drones or sensors? by whose authority are these ship people doing this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok_JC-ClscY

Notice how everything in Star Citizen is about feeling superior to somebody else. It's the expensive yacht you can wow people with, or the exploration ship to lord over the savage cave aliens. The dirty aliens in loincloths represent console gamers, who will be wowed by the overwhelming technological superiority of a PC game.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

How have you not seen this?
Ben and Alyx were spotted grazing, they put comedy tuba music on it and poo poo, it was insane

I honestly thought I'd earned my PhD on this debacle - I think this is enough to take away my degree. Back to 101 for me.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
star citizen just had its largest funding day ever. like ever, in the history of the project. no anniversary sale or citcon sale single day can begin to match it. its almost as large as the original SC kickstarter ( which was $2.5m~)

2020-05-27 Funding Total: $2,257,693

that single day of funding used to be around what the entire month of May would bring in

may 2013: $740,421
may 2014: $1,288,270
may 2015: $2,815,387
may 2016: $1,431,159
may 2017: $2,749,143
may 2018: $2,889,835
may 2019: $2,713,178
may 2020 (to date): $10,497,291

just lol

edit: at this point -- along with the other evidence presented earlier about the top gray market resellers -- I'm guessing that really, really shady Russian/Euro money laundering is going on here. there's really no other explanation that fits

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 28, 2020

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Time_pants posted:

In so many ways, I really hate that I am so morbidly fascinated by this trainwreck. For one thing, I cannot share it with anyone else. Anytime I try, either there is just so, so, so much that it sounds like I'm just making poo poo up, or the complexity and interconnectedness of the ineptitude and corruption is so loving staggering that it quickly turns into an interminable chain of "well, first I have to tell you this story so I can tell you this other story so I can tell you another story so I can tell you that story so I can actually get to the original point I was trying to make 15 minutes ago."

There's just so much. One doomed project helmed by a moron suspended indefinitely in a hideous state of un-life by a cult of brainwashed maniacs in hopes that it might one day barf up a magic elixir to finally free them from the sweaty, flabby prison of their own lives.

How do you even explain that to a person who isn't so broken and stupid as to waste 6 irreplaceable years on a dead, gay message board following what can only be charitably described as "the ongoing situation" that somehow spun out of something so mundane as a Kickstarter campaign for a spiritual successor to some idiot space shooter computer game series from the 90s? Where the gently caress do you even begin? How do you tell them that the fact that the social contract isn't real and--get this--you can just... get $350 million by asking for it in exchange for drawings of spaceships? And somehow that's one of the least galling things about the whole loving epic poem that has somehow been penned in the margins of what we thought was supposed to be an account of a civilized world? What do you even say??? Buy an Idris.

This is poetry. Someone save this for the prologue to the book.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

TheAgent posted:

star citizen just had its largest funding day ever. like ever, in the history of the project. no anniversary sale or citcon sale single day can begin to match it. its almost as large as the original SC kickstarter ( which was $2.5m~)

that single day of funding used to be around what the entire month of May would bring in

just lol

edit: at this point -- along with the other evidence presented earlier about the top gray market resellers -- I'm guessing that really, really shady Russian/Euro money laundering is going on here. there's really no other explanation that fits

Maybe a big money move before everything gets shut down? LOL maybe the feds are closing in

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So is anyone going to post a link to this Japanese guys being astounded by Ben's girth?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Sandweed posted:

Someone show this to CR. It's refactoring time baby.

https://twitter.com/skilful/status/1265875309980643329?s=20

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
Creating a fake space holiday to have a whole week of sales to launder a bunch of money is certainly not what I thought would happen in the Star Citizer story.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

TheAgent posted:

just lol

I can explain this.

Sandi Gardiner was holding the whole project back - with less Sandi and Chris Roberts appearing, the project seems more appealing and professional.

Sandi was not the greatest marketing master mind ever, responsible for bringing in hundreds of millions of nerd dollars - she in fact had been so toxic to the project so as to stop many would be backers from contributing.

Less Sandi = more money.

That's a fact.

This is a poo poo post.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

TheAgent posted:

just lol

From the spreadsheet which pulls data from the RSI website every hour:
2020-05-21: $373,271
2020-05-22: $406,152
2020-05-23: $1,008,835
2020-05-24: $579,409
2020-05-25: $977,154
2020-05-26: $396,975
2020-05-27: $2,257,693

From the RSI website:

They show different information :thunk:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

TheAgent posted:

just lol

It's certainly not outside the realm of possibility that the word has spread among bad actors that this project appears to be not only immortal, but immune to the types of audits and investigations that would normally be expected when moving these amounts of cash around. The model-viewer is a great front for the appearance of game development, and they have the perfect CEO who is inept yet arrogant enough to think the screenshots mean it's all real, so he'll defend the operation thinking he's defending his own genius. If this is true then it's something that could go on forever, until the right person decides to pull the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

TheAgent posted:

just lol

So who is in charge of investigating stuff like that? If the "game" is being used to launder money, someone ought to be looking into that right?