Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Yes, but did she have fake tattoos while writing/directing this short film?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

G0RF posted:

CIG Board member, Roberts family estate owner, and seemingly former VP of Marketing :sandance: wrote and directed a short film last year called “Sonny”. Maybe it was already discussed but I don’t recall seen mention of it...

Plot is kinda interesting...

That sounds like a Sandiesque plot alright... sneering derision for working class schlubs, and for husbands in ill-fitting clothing + solidarity with wives who married beneath their object value...

Was it The Agent who said Sandi’s got her own production company now and that she’d be cranking out socially-minded films and entertainment down the road? If this is an early entry, I look forward to seeing what else she cranks out down the road... She’s definitely got her finger on the pulse of Santa Monica trophy wife grievances.

Hard earned space ship pictures at work.

Id be interested to know if :sandance: cast herself in the movie.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

DigitalPenny posted:

Of course she did.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11686196/

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/TG0nRni.gifv

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Hahaha Sandi as Randi!

And just to show you how nepotism runs in the family .....

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
At first I was tickled to see a film from this great Hollywood-bound director. She has managed to shave off all the parts of the movie normally wasted by a large production company and deliver a script that punches above its weight. You might see its low review score and be worried, but that's just because critics don't understand film development. In the end even if the movie doesn't do well I'm glad I was along for the ride.

1/10 stars

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Kosumo posted:

Sandi just trying to mooch star power off the most famous and talented actress Skye Roberts.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Please tell me that IMDB is all fiction these days

Sonny

it has a cast of 5 people, (2 crobblers)

it has 5 film makers and crew, of which only 3 were not in the cast.

For 7 minutes of film

Budget:$15,000 (estimated)

.... 2.1 Million dollars a minute for film by sandi Gardner.

Also when i try to click the IMDBpro thing it shows that Sandi Gardiner is most known for her role in Squadron 42 .... LOL

EDIT: I retract my previous comments, i misread 15k for 15M

DigitalPenny fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 6, 2020

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

The Titanic posted:

No idea.

I'm in a hospital, trying to recover. These tiny posts are all my strength.

Star Citizen well probably be in development longer than I'll be alive at this point it feels.
Get well soon. Think of all idrises you can buy.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Writers: Sandi Gardiner, Michael Stone
Taglines: Sonny proves that even when violence seems like the only solution, it's never the best solution.

Is this story of her own self-reflection? Won't she strangle anyone anymore?

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

The Titanic posted:

No idea.

Star Citizen well probably be in development longer than I'll be alive at this point it feels.

Get well soon,

I still have faith you are unsinkable

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DigitalPenny posted:

Imagine if she got cut from her own movie :lol:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kosumo posted:

What happened? ..... You know, you where there - they tried to drive a rover up the ramp and the wheels literally came off.

Taintrunner posted:

I saw this live and I remember it like it was yesterday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DCbvu-uF4o&t=5883s

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

DigitalPenny posted:

While the market value is absurd at least i can understand it, people feel that Tesla is going to be the next big thing and shake up the car industry and at least Tesla actually does something and sell products. I mean you can complain about the products and the CEO or what ever but right now you can sell you Tesla stock and get your money back.

SC on the other hand is just pile of napkins with concepts drawn all over them and some one claiming this is a product when it comes to tax time.

If CR ran Tesla they would still be doing cup holder development and claiming the cars will start pumping out the factory as soon as they work out how to make there new fancy fabric cup holder liquid not dissolve after coming into contact with liquids, but every one will fall over them selves for this never been done before cup holder !! and If you wanted your money back you can drive pas CR's mansion and just feel remorse.

the investor class is the stupidest group of people on the planet

stem degree holders are the next stupidest

giving silicon valley money to stem people was the dumbest thing anyone ever did

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Kosumo posted:

Hahaha Sandi as Randi!

Both Sandi and her daughters biographies were written by the same person - Nicole Gonzalez, who hasn't written any other biographies

I wonder who Nicole Gonzalez is?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

:five: :five: :five:

That is still so fucken funny 3 years on.

Chris Roberts giving goons a good time.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

DigitalPenny posted:

Please tell me that IMDB is all fiction these days

Sonny

it has a cast of 5 people, (2 crobblers)

it has 5 film makers and crew, of which only 3 were not in the cast.

For 7 minutes of film

Budget:$15,000 (estimated)

.... 2.1 Million dollars a minute for film by sandi Gardner.

Also when i try to click the IMDBpro thing it shows that Sandi Gardiner is most known for her role in Squadron 42 .... LOL

EDIT: I retract my previous comments, i misread 15k for 15M

Pick any person in the world (except a Crobbler) that has a phone and a PC and I will show you someone who will, on their first attempt, make a better movie than Sandi (or Chris) can, and for free.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

Pick any person in the world (except a Crobbler) that has a phone and a PC and I will show you someone who will, on their first attempt, make a better movie than Sandi (or Chris) can, and for free.

Dunno, I still remember Fuzzy Modem's "CrossOver" film (which has unfortunately been scrubbed out of the internet) and that was a thing of beauty in all the wrong ways. Not even Sandi could unimprove it.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
You know, at least she's starting small.
I think a lot of people might have assumed that she would make her directorial debut with a feature-length low budget disaster.

And think about it, it's so short her role can't possibly be cut out in editing.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

And at least she's writing about what she knows. I hope the man who plays Sonny looks like Crobber.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Spiderdrake posted:

Sandi just trying to mooch star power off the most famous and talented actress Skye Roberts.

She’s pretty good in Doom Patrol.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Nothing to see here. Just our sub posted:

quote:

exactly why i loathe that we allow these concern trolls.

quote:

"We" don't allow them. That's why there are many who actively call them out on their poo poo. The mods on the other hand...sometimes they don't allow them, most of the time they do.

quote:

idk i've gotten downvoted to oblivion from commited citizens for calling them out. About time we get this Cycle under control. (the cycle of patch-praise-lul-concern rinse and repeat) I'm just over it more than I'm over watching the interestingly complicated development of this game.

quote:

Yeah...there's also the fact that the refunds sub users brigade the crap out of us. Often it comes from the Something Aweful forums as well.

quote:

I think that there is a lot more brigading on here from refunds and SA than most realize.

quote:

It's a very small minority of people that hate on Star Citizen. They just have an unhealthy obsession which makes them very vocal. It's always the same people.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Star Citizen: The interestingly complicated development

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Is Crunch Rubbrugs still doing this poo poo?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

Imagine someone trying to defend the brainless twats that call the development of this game a scam, then proceed to try to purposefully ruin the perfectly fine fun others are having because they selfishly just NEED to see others be angry too.

Then imagine that someone comes along and calls the following things "very real concerns", such as:
  • rants
  • idiotic toxic attacks against CIGs management
  • the community
  • every other aspect of the game
with completely washed out and thousand times ripped apart dead horse "arguments" that meanwhile only qualify as spam in most cases.

Imagine such a guy having the balls to write a comment openly showing this tendency.

Amazing.

You know what qualifies as a valid concern?Something related to the gameplay progress details.
  • The new thruster mechanic is not controllable
  • The skill level is too high/too low for following purposes
  • The mining mecahnic has the following usability issues in my opinion.
  • etc.
Coming out with laughworthy bullshit attacking the devs that are hard at work on this game and the people who don't agree with your own perception and opinion makes you indeed a crow.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The complications triple every second.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

My litte /r/starcitizen "Echochamber" test results posted:

I am writing this simply because I would like to share an experience I made.

Roughly two weeks ago I started to notice a strong uplift of desctructive comments surfacing here. Hand in hand with posts that seemed to be set up as platforms for such comments.

Some of those individuals were so relentless in their rather agressive commenting, that I decided to block two of them and I was petty enough to openly say so.

Just minutes later I was rewarded with about three comments (on that nested, two days old thread) unpleasantly telling me how I am creating an "echo chamber" and that I am showing clearly that I don't value "vaild critisism" etc.

Like probably many of us, the "echochamber" attack-statement is not new - but this time I decided to actually test the validity and effect of it.

My basic test goal:
  • How many users do I have to block in order to no longer see overly extreme statements such as:
    • SC does not exist / is a scam
    • SQ42 does not exist / is a scam
    • CRs gross mismanagement is the main reason for the ongoing failure to deliver faster or anything good (As nobody here can judge the internal workings of the company)
    • How can backers be so dumb to still defend/believe in/support this game
  • And then to see if I truly have a loss of critical debates that I no longer see.
So every time I saw a post with such or similar content I checked the posters history to see if this is a common enough type of comment for this individual and based on that blocked him/her (or not).

I was careful to not block users who had only a bad frustrated day in order to avoid false positives.

My result:
  • I basically reached the state of no longer seeing highly agressive and provocative comments after blocking just 17 users in the last two weeks. (If I add the ones I had already in my blocked list from the last years I reach a total 25 blocked users in my list since the beginning of my reddit account)
  • I now can see far more sensibly written critical discussions that before got derailed due to me getting triggered by the disruptive posts.
Data is beautiful:
  • This subreddit has on average 1500 daily active users.
  • 17 users of that are 1.2%. (25 users are 1.67%)
My Question:
  • Do you think that blocking just 1.67% of the daily active users has created an echo-chamber for me?

-------

Info: I will not share my blocked list, so please do not ask for it.

-------

PS: Reddit has a default blocking option:
  • Just copy the persons username.
  • Go into your account at the top right to "User settings"
  • Then go to "Safety and privacy"
  • There it is

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/16/21274638/magic-leap-app-store-partnerships-update

quote:

Even if it avoids this, though, the Magic Leap that dazzled futurists looks gone for good. It made a very specific bet on consumer mixed reality, and for the foreseeable future, it’s lost that bet — whether because of the pandemic crash, specific management decisions, or just making plans that outpaced its technology. Many of its high-profile relationships and ambitious app concepts seem stalled or effectively ended. Someone might eventually realize Magic Leap’s blueprint for a world full of holograms — like Apple, which is reportedly working on its own glasses — but it almost certainly won’t be Magic Leap.

Another one bites the dust before Star Citizr.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

The Titanic posted:

No idea.

Fingers crossed for you! Rest up, heal up xx

luetm
May 10, 2019

TheAgent posted:

not gonna hello this poo poo because but hearing that 3.9 "key features" are being pushed to 4.0

btw 4.0 is being set as a RC candidate or some poo poo, I'll do a bullet point of all this poo poo later because loving poo poo a whole lots going on today. Like my fiancee might literally have covid and I might still have it after 9 weeks of upper respiratory distress

cant get a loving test kit to save my life tho lol

Found that looking through your posts to see if I missed a "hello". Hope everything turned out OK!

So with all the shady stuff going on on the grey market and considering that Star Citizen rarely makes the gaming news nowadays, is it fair to assume that the ever growing pledge numbers are due to money laundering? I don't see CR + his trusty Cayman islands lawyer having much qualms.

There's only so much whale milk out there...

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Fidelitious posted:

You know, at least she's starting small.
I think a lot of people might have assumed that she would make her directorial debut with a feature-length low budget disaster.

And think about it, it's so short her role can't possibly be cut out in editing.

No film is so short that it can't be improved by removing Sandi's scenes.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

No film is so short that it can't be improved by removing Sandi's scenes.

That's not fair. The Mae Demming/Tickler in Black scene is a classic.

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020
Speaking of films, the SQ54 video is something like 50 days delayed. Over "editorial" concerns. What are they doing over there? Editing a trilogy? Most open development ever! I, for one, really appreciate how CIG is treating its backers like publishers in this scenario. Promise to deliver something, fail to deliver something, give a one sentence excuse for not making the deadline, stone wall for the next month and a half, rake in record millions. Why do game studios even need to crowd source when publishers are so understanding and forgiving? Or maybe CIG is finding out the less than say and the less they make the more money they get, like backers are attempting to bribe them for breadcrumbs. None of us should be surprised in 5 years from now when CIG breaks the billion mark and CIG hasn't been heard from at all in year and the game hasn't been updated in two years. Fracking whales with nerd chariot jpegs is played out. Fracking whales in macro amounts for micro updates and slivers of news is the new hotness.

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020
I like how on Spectrum some backers are defending the lack of a SQ54 video by saying that the newsletter updates covered everything that would be in the video anyway. If I WAS a backer I would be saying I backed a VIDEO game, not a novel, and I want to watch a VIDEO about my VIDEO game, not read about it. I would also say the video vs newsletter debate is besides the point. The point is that if CIG can't even make a video about making a game in a timely fashion on a self-given deadline, then how can it be expected for CIG to actually MAKE A GAME?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Not seen them shared here yet, but on :reddit:StarCitizen_Refunds someone is smashing out meme after meme. The gimmick? CIG's own words :ohdear:

:v: All Of This Has Happened Before, And Will Happen Again

:v: Are you hyped? 100+ player servers in 2018, and Server Meshing in 2019!

:v: LOL stop spreading FUD, of course CIG will have many star systems completed in four years' time

:v: Look, it took years to build the devteam to AAA size, real development only started in 2016

:v: My favorite CR quote, he's such a visionary

:v: Standing on chairs and T-posing is a choice

:v: Salvaging is Hard, Space Shipbreaker gameplay is fun

:v: Real estate is a stable investment in your life's Chronicles. Thinking Of Elyria in Ohio? It has beautiful parks and reservations

:v: There's a huge galaxy to explore and immerse yourself in

:v: My hangar filled with the ships and fluff I bought is awesome, do you want to visit it?

:aaaaa:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
car citizen is a real thing now https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/2/21311332/bmw-in-car-purchase-heated-seats-software-over-the-air-updates

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
Tane

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Paying an extra monthly fee to access features in your car that came installed and fully functional from the factory, somehow makes buying pictures of spaceships seem quaint.

Though, I guess we are pretty quickly converging on Star Citizen’s lore of a human race lorded over by a dystopian authoritarian plutocracy controlled by mega-corporations. But, it’s all good because we are tearing down a few statues and slathering on another layer political correctness to give it all a shiny progressive veneer.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 6, 2020

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

G0RF posted:

CIG Board member, Roberts family estate owner, and seemingly former VP of Marketing :sandance: wrote and directed a short film last year called “Sonny”. Maybe it was already discussed but I don’t recall seen mention of it...

Plot is kinda interesting...

That sounds like a Sandiesque plot alright... sneering derision for working class schlubs, and for husbands in ill-fitting clothing + solidarity with wives who married beneath their object value...

Was it The Agent who said Sandi’s got her own production company now and that she’d be cranking out socially-minded films and entertainment down the road? If this is an early entry, I look forward to seeing what else she cranks out down the road... She’s definitely got her finger on the pulse of Santa Monica trophy wife grievances.

So Sandi directed a short film for 15k with a cast of five people? Let's ignore the fact that these 15k probably came from SC backers one way or another, but geez', when just starting out directing this strikes me as ... reasonable. And reasonable is a word I normally don't use in anything Chris Roberts-related. She might have learnt from her (ex-)husbands (maybe Chris didn't take it so well being 'Sonny') mistakes and does what every sane person would do: Start out small, gather experience, then build upon it.

Just because I feel like it:
- Crobbies first gig as a director after having only done FMV-cutscenes in the early 90s: Wing Commander, a 30 million dollar disaster
- Last game Crobs (presumably) took part in developing without being booted: Wing Commander IV for DOS PCs. 20 years later, he directs a 300 million dollar AAAA-game. I'm sure the industry hasn't changed one bit since then, just go full steam ahead.

You know what, I wish Sandi success with her films. There are a lot of nice short films out there and it's for once a change from all this Megalomania present in everything Roberts. Also, I would have a good laugh if she ends up being a better director than Chris simply because she gathers experience in small productions. And maybe she can even use some jpeg money to hire Kevin Costner for a guest appearance in one of her movies. Would be the only time backer money has been well spent.

ggangensis fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

Not seen them shared here yet, but on :reddit:StarCitizen_Refunds someone is smashing out meme after meme. The gimmick? CIG's own words :ohdear:

These are great :allears: