Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

dieselfruit posted:

Things that Fable did that were really cool:
-Your body would slowly change as you skilled up. If you were a swordman you'd get all muscley, if you focused ranged you'd get tall and wirey, if you used a lot of magic you'd get neat glowy tattoos.
-Unparalleled rotten food mechanics. You could really just chow down on flaccid carrots and off tofu all day.
-

It really cracked me up when Mass Effect 2 went full-blown Fable, making "renegade" options change your skin to have more fiery, glowing, evil cracks.

Supposedly MGSV also makes Snake's "horn" get bigger and gnarlier if you kill people, but I've never killed anyone in any MGS series*

*In MGS3 there was one soldier who I knocked out and drowned by accident, but it didn't count against me. In MGSV there's a mission to defeat a helicopter squad and AFAIK there's no non-lethal way to take down a chopper in those missions, but the game doesn't count it as a kill, presumably yet another feature lost by releasing a half-finished game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Khanstant posted:

Supposedly MGSV also makes Snake's "horn" get bigger and gnarlier if you kill people, but I've never killed anyone in any MGS series*

If you get to a certain point, the blood no longer washes off you.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Dreadwroth2 posted:

I'm super tickled that some people in this thread have apparently never looked into proper flight sims, those are the most expensive games made if you want everything. Just check out Eagle Dynamics' prices for DCS modules.
Like if you want just the F16 it will run you $80 alone for just the jet, and it can get way crazier with all the peripheral controller things like a yoke, pedals, usb instrument panels and so on.

The joystick I want is almost $1500 and doesn't even come with the joystick part:

I wish someone still made cheap force feedback joysticks, but they don't. I'm gonna be a sad little man when my G940 finally dies

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Foo Diddley posted:

The joystick I want is almost $1500 and doesn't even come with the joystick part:

I wish someone still made cheap force feedback joysticks, but they don't. I'm gonna be a sad little man when my G940 finally dies

CIG have a deal for you on a HOTAS.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

The Rabbi T. White posted:

CIG have a deal for you on a HOTAS.

Oh yeah, I should get two of 'em so I can play Star Citizen. With their super-advanced flight model I'm sure that force feedback will be a must

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Foo Diddley posted:

It's dumb that they stopped making sidewinder 2s, microsoft could just start making them again with new plugs and people would buy them.

Sricero
Nov 7, 2010

I Teach Yoga you son of a bitch.

trucutru posted:

Ok, first you need to open two tabs. On the first tab you go to the first post you haven't read and on the second tab you go the the last page of the thread -7 (So right now it would be page 903). Then you read seven pages on the first tab and all seven pages on the second. When you are done, on the second tab you jump 7n * (i+1) pages back, where i is the number of iterations of this simple algorithm you have completed. Since you have completed but one iteration then you have to jump 14 pages back. And you continue to do this, alternating between the tabs every seven pages until you finish reading the thread.

SIMPLE! Famous game developers, blog posters, and something awful founders vouch for this system

I wish I had seen this before reading every single page. My brain is SC mush.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Khanstant posted:

It really cracked me up when Mass Effect 2 went full-blown Fable, making "renegade" options change your skin to have more fiery, glowing, evil cracks.

Bioware's KotoR did it too, and that predates Fable.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, but with Star Wars it kind of makes sense. Darth Vader and the Emperor are both monster-men. Mass Effect was just like "hey if you get mad your cybernetic implants get hot enough to glow orange, this was somehow not a design flaw"

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

They are not mutually exclusive. If the resolution somehow affects available cargo space, though, that might be their best bug yet.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

dieselfruit posted:

Things that Fable did that were really cool:
-Your body would slowly change as you skilled up. If you were a swordman you'd get all muscley, if you focused ranged you'd get tall and wirey, if you used a lot of magic you'd get neat glowy tattoos.
-Unparalleled rotten food mechanics. You could really just chow down on flaccid carrots and off tofu all day.
-

Kenshi does the body change based on stats, to the point where characters can get wide enough to barely fit through doors (may require going over the normal caps)

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

Some of the submarine games back in the days of keyboard overlays were kinda cool too. Since Chris thinks space battles are both Star Wars WWII dogfights but also simultaneously "shh they'll hear us" submarine tactics in space, has anyone competent ever made a space game where the combat simulated the latter? I can't think of one.

Elite actually does a passable job at this, check out the classic Isinona Flight Assist Off videos, like this part in particular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZfE4XGPQO8&t=867s

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Thank you all. I'm doing better. I'm home again and trying to keep myself staying sane despite the crazy amount of things I can't do now. But I am keeping on going! <3

Great to hear man. Get even better!

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Taintrunner posted:

Janitor’s mop and bucket

Don't spread FUD, it's the Deluxe version for that price which includes denim bib & brace and a monocle.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Herb Dington posted:

Elite actually does a passable job at this, check out the classic Isinona Flight Assist Off videos, like this part in particular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZfE4XGPQO8&t=867s

Silent Running in ED is actually a well developed stealth mechanic.

One thing I didn't like about ED's implementation is that they kind of simplified the radar a bit too much. Another sim, DCS has some amazing radar tech, in ED you can really lock things from 10-15 KM away maximum. While in DCS a hornet from the 1980's can scan and lock a target from 60 nautical miles (~110 KM). Considering how big Elites ships are and how advanced the "tech" supposed to be, its disappointing that everyone's signature strength is pretty much copy/paste in the game more so the range of the weapons.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The problem with elite is there isn’t really any point to going stealthy. Or to do anything in the game at all for that matter.

If I ever thought SCs 90% npc universe was going to be engaging ED definitely showed me it won’t be.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Flannelette posted:

It's dumb that they stopped making sidewinder 2s, microsoft could just start making them again with new plugs and people would buy them.

Agreed.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Happy 14th, let them free!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
All hail those born on this, the holiest day!

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

no_recall posted:

Silent Running in ED is actually a well developed stealth mechanic.

One thing I didn't like about ED's implementation is that they kind of simplified the radar a bit too much. Another sim, DCS has some amazing radar tech, in ED you can really lock things from 10-15 KM away maximum. While in DCS a hornet from the 1980's can scan and lock a target from 60 nautical miles (~110 KM). Considering how big Elites ships are and how advanced the "tech" supposed to be, its disappointing that everyone's signature strength is pretty much copy/paste in the game more so the range of the weapons.

If Elite's weapons had realistic ranges, you'd never see another ship in combat, aside of maybe capital ships as tiny dots in distance. You'd only explode randomly (or fire lots of weapons into distance).

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

HiroProtagonist posted:

but that's like, not "stock" it's either "available" or not. there's not some warehouse with shelves filled with a certain quantity of spaceships or a dealership storage lot with only a certain number of spaceships of a certain type.

I dunno why in the sea of stard cistern incongruities that i find that particular detail to be the most bizarre but still lol anyway

They've ran out of Space Leather for the Sport Trim

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Happy deskeletonization day fuckos!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Torquemada posted:

All hail those born on this, the holiest day!

Looking forward to my Civil Meat ration

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

If Elite's weapons had realistic ranges, you'd never see another ship in combat, aside of maybe capital ships as tiny dots in distance. You'd only explode randomly (or fire lots of weapons into distance).

Me in college, reading Heinlein: *Chuckles* "Someone make this game!"

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

The Rabbi T. White posted:

How do I get game pass for free then?

Microsoft reward points. I have my game pass ultimate payed up through March 2023

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!

Inacio posted:

premium bedding. good deal actually

:stare:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!

:hmmyes:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I think what this thread needs on this special day is a Stimpire themed Bond poster.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
_.---._
.' `.
:) (:
\ (@) (@) /
\ A /
) (
\"""""/
`._.'
.=.
.---._.-.=.-._.---.
/ ':-(_.-: :-._)-:` \
/ /' (__.-: :-.__) `\ \
/ / (___.-` '-.___) \ \
/ / (___.-'^`-.___) \ \
/ / (___.-'=`-.___) \ \
/ / (____.'=`.____) \ \
/ / (___.'=`.___) \ \
(_.; `---'.=.`---' ;._)
;|| __ _.=._ __ ||;
;|| ( `.-.=.-.' ) ||;
;|| \ `.=.' / ||;
;|| \ .=. / ||;
;|| .-`.`-._.-'.'-. ||;
.:::\ ( ,): O O :(, ) /:::.
|||| ` / /'`--'--'`\ \ ' ||||
'''' / / \ \ ''''
/ / \ \
/ / \ \
/ / \ \
/ / \ \
/ / \ \
/.' `.\
(_)' `(_)
\\. .//
\\. .//
\\. .//
\\. .//
\\. .//
\\. .//
jgs \\. .//
///) (\\\
,///' `\\\,
///' `\\\
""' '""

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm not even gonna try to fix that

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Yeah that's the main issue with wanting a "realistic" vision of future space wars. Due to the distances involved and technology-driven changes in tactics, future war is probably going to be heavy on cyberattacks, radar jamming, and long-range lasers or missiles, and probably not involve much infantry.

You can see these trends even nowadays. Physical confrontations and casualties have reduced significantly in recent wars — compare 57,000 American deaths in Vietnam to just 4,575 in Iraq. The move towards drone strikes, quick attacks, special night operations, etc have changed war immeasurably, and that's just in the past 50 years. We don't fight 16th century-style wars, so why would 26th century people fight 20th century-style wars?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
You say that, but part of me now wants to see Agincourt refought with modern compound bows and roided-up horses barded in Chobham armour

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

peter gabriel posted:

_.---._
.' `.
:) (:
\ (@) (@) /
\ A /
) (
\"""""/
`._.'
.=.
.---._.-.=.-._.---.
/ ':-(_.-: :-._)-:` \
/ /' (__.-: :-.__) `\ \
/ / (___.-` '-.___) \ \
/ / (___.-'^`-.___) \ \
/ / (___.-'=`-.___) \ \
/ / (____.'=`.____) \ \
/ / (___.'=`.___) \ \
(_.; `---'.=.`---' ;._)
;|| __ _.=._ __ ||;
;|| ( `.-.=.-.' ) ||;
;|| \ `.=.' / ||;
;|| \ .=. / ||;
;|| .-`.`-._.-'.'-. ||;
.:::\ ( ,): O O :(, ) /:::.
|||| ` / /'`--'--'`\ \ ' ||||
'''' / / \ \ ''''
/ / \ \
/ / \ \
/ / \ \
/ / \ \
/ / \ \
/.' `.\
(_)' `(_)
\\. .//
\\. .//
\\. .//
\\. .//
\\. .//
\\. .//
jgs \\. .//
///) (\\\
,///' `\\\,
///' `\\\
""' '""

4th Stimpire Owl after De-Skeletonization

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnbZQn6SE60&t=69s

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Wa-wa-wait HOOOLD ON!

That’s DEFFO not Admiral Bishop gary oldmans face.

Have they loving changed oldmans character and he’s no longer got oldmans likeness?

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Also why are people in the year 3000 are still making references to the 2008 Obama poster?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dynastocles posted:

Yeah that's the main issue with wanting a "realistic" vision of future space wars. Due to the distances involved and technology-driven changes in tactics, future war is probably going to be heavy on cyberattacks, radar jamming, and long-range lasers or missiles, and probably not involve much infantry.

You can see these trends even nowadays. Physical confrontations and casualties have reduced significantly in recent wars — compare 57,000 American deaths in Vietnam to just 4,575 in Iraq. The move towards drone strikes, quick attacks, special night operations, etc have changed war immeasurably, and that's just in the past 50 years. We don't fight 16th century-style wars, so why would 26th century people fight 20th century-style wars?

The main issues with space wars is they would never happen, like space is loving big there is more than enough room for everyone to exist without ever seeing each other even if they wanted to

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Dynastocles posted:

Current most realistic projection for modern space combat is going to be drones or missiles carrying shrapnel that will try to close distance at speed and shotgun into the targets or score a direct impact if armored. The only defense is launching your own and intercepting theirs with clouds of your own shrapnel from guns or what my traveller friends would appreciate, sandcasters. As neat as the expanse is, all the combat seen in that is orderd of magnitude closer than it would be, and it's already pretty far. Best weapon is a drive by vomiting of a bunch of drones.

That's something that Bobiverse got really accurate, and is likely the hardest space combat I've seen in any medium, including fringe games and other media.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
A game that plays out like a mix of combat in The Expanse/Revelation Space/Sub Sim would be interesting. You need some proper game designer input though, kind of like how Klei nailed the real essence of squad turn based stealth'em ups in Invisible Inc. Not necessarily turn based but some sort of movement/battlefield information economy that allowed for bluffs/gambits and other sneaky type game play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

jarlywarly posted:

A game that plays out like a mix of combat in The Expanse/Revelation Space/Sub Sim would be interesting. You need some proper game designer input though, kind of like how Klei nailed the real essence of squad turn based stealth'em ups in Invisible Inc. Not necessarily turn based but some sort of movement/battlefield information economy that allowed for bluffs/gambits and other sneaky type game play.

AURORA isnt what I'd call easy to deal with but it's pretty in depth. Its the hardest scifi 4x I know about at least.

Consider it the dwarf fortress of space 4x. But it doeant really have the adventure mode.