Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ponzi posted:

Joe Blobers is back!

I'm glad his enthusiasm isn't waning.

LOL, free form cutting tool got removed already. So much for new gameplay.

E: Taxxe, angry catte attacking FUDsters

Sanya Juutilainen fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

HiroProtagonist posted:

i must be too internet-poisoned but wtf is "IK"?

Thoatse posted:

Inverse Kinematics unless you obviously don't understand anything about game development in which case it's Idiot King

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVHM4spXuOM

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

So standard development upsets you? Perhaps you might want to check out until it is done, then? Just a thought. The flight system won't be finished until all the types of planets that they plan to release are done. If that sounds unrelated, you aren't following the development close enough.

quote:

Having done this for over 20 years, this is better than most projects, but still quite typical (excluding the current circumstance). But my claim is only anecdotal, but I can point out that Brian Chambers and Tony Zurovec have reputations for leaving projects that don't have clear vision and direction. So as long as both those leads are a part of the project, I'm satisfied that it is in good hands.

quote:

Old reputations that are over a decade in the past. Erin has a current reputation for completing projects on time (which is why he is the head of the project), so that counters your points. THEN you have Brian and Tony. The evidence is clearly still on the side of CIG, even if everything you said is true today.

quote:

Chris has done the "impossible" before. Remember:

All the possible has been done.
All the impossible has YET to be done.

Not being able to imagine the final product doesn't mean it won't happen, just that you might lack the imagination

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

All the possible has been done.
All the impossible has YET to be done.

This is dumb even for SC zealot standards.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/CloudImperium/status/1289267189183180801

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Oh, this is going to go well.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

AbstractNapper posted:

Oh, this is going to go well.

Just gotta plug the AI into the graphics! Game almost done!

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Nyast posted:

These numbers don't even make sense. Like, let's assume this chart is correct:

The surface of a sphere is 4.pi.r^2

If you sum up the surface area for all these moons ( excluding Crusader, which is a gas giant and has no surface ) you get about 47 millions sq. Km.

Even if you add Crusader ( 700 millions sq. Km ) you're "barely" at 750 millions sq. Km.

I'm not sure how you can even reach 1.6 quadrillion sq. km. Counting the "empty space" ? But there's no surface area there, volume would make more sense, but that's not what the guy said. Also, extrapolating a surface area from 2^64 bits ? That literally makes no sense: floating point numbers aren't linear, and even if they were, you still have to define what a unit means ( 1.0 = one meter ? one kilometer ? one millimeter ? ). And even after all of that, a single number only defines a dimension, not a surface. These people are completley clueless.

... while I'am still not over the fact they called a loving planet 'Microtech'.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

Yep. Most of us that have been here for a long time realize that CIG always gets quiet around this time of year. Literally every year. They get quiet, then we usually get some cool surprises and fun stuff from CitizenCon / Anniversary Stream and so on.

I remember years ago when we first learned about procedural planets. My goodness, there was NO indication they were working on that. They didn't even tease anything, it was just silence and then suddenly "Oh and also take a look at this..." drops bombshell

People take for granted a lot of the stuff we've had delivered on purely surprise, no prior notice, over the years. CIG is really good at hiding stuff they want to surprise us with, and an excess of silence to me is not a problem so much as an indication that they're trying to set up a reveal.

quote:

Criticism is needed, but make sure you have a good reason for doing it. Keep in mind that a LARGE amount of criticism has been leveled at CIG for a long time now by people who have no intent to make it constructive, but are instead trying to damage CIG (which will no longer work) or damage the community that follows Star Citizen, all of us (which absolutely IS working sadly).

If you want to put out criticism, you need to be careful how you approach doing so or you will be lumped in with the trolls and haters. For good reason - you're adding fuel to the fire they've built, whether you actually agree with them or not.

Acting ignorant that there are trolls and haters, or that you're fueling the fire they built and continue to fuel, is not going to win you any points from those of us who want to fight those fires.

quote:

quote:

You really want to see a generic Carrack screenshot for the 100th time?
Yes. Because that's a positive thing.

Another thread with people upset that they haven't heard exactly what they want to hear about SQ42 is completely unnecessary. If there's no news, there's nothing to talk about, so stop talking about no-news. Its literally being negative just to spread negativity even further, to drag the whole community down!

If there's not much going on, then the subreddit will have to fall back on good old player content like screenshots, videos, stories we share, discussions on how we think upcoming things might work, etc. etc..

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Mirificus posted:

Yes. Because that's a positive thing.

Another thread with people upset that they haven't heard exactly what they want to hear about SQ42 is completely unnecessary. If there's no news, there's nothing to talk about, so stop talking about no-news. Its literally being negative just to spread negativity even further, to drag the whole community down!

If there's not much going on, then the subreddit will have to fall back on good old player content like screenshots, videos, stories we share, discussions on how we think upcoming things might work, etc. etc..
[/quote]

They do get quiet around this time every year.

Because they spend almost half the year trying to make something that looks impressive for Citcon and the anniversary sale, only to toss all that work in the trash with the Sandiworm to be forgotten...

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Nyast posted:

Also, extrapolating a surface area from 2^64 bits ? That literally makes no sense

How did he come up with that number? Simple. He put 2 grains of rice on the square of a chessboard. Chris Roberts said, with your support I will double the amount of rice on each subsequent square. They said it couldn't be done. They said it was impossible. But with your support, we can make this dream a reality!!!

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

L. Ron Hoover posted:

How did he come up with that number? Simple. He put 2 grains of rice on the square of a chessboard. Chris Roberts said, with your support I will double the amount of rice on each subsequent square. They said it couldn't be done. They said it was impossible. But with your support, we can make this dream a reality!!!

Except with Star Citizen, there is no rice and there is no chessboard.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
more like

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/subvegio/status/1288992225347674112
https://twitter.com/subvegio/status/1289315335724818433

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Mirificus posted:

quote:

So standard development upsets you? Perhaps you might want to check out until it is done, then? Just a thought. The flight system won't be finished until all the types of planets that they plan to release are done. If that sounds unrelated, you aren't following the development close enough.

drat...

*ding dong* "Hello?"

"Are you god?"

"...yeah?"

"Universe made a new planet"

"so?"

"You have to adjust physics....again....I'm sorry"

"Argh....if I only would have done this right the first time....and it's a loving sunday...."

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Actually, we can't even take the discussion of a game as being part of the offering. In fact he owes us nothing!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

monkeytek posted:

Actually, we can't even take the discussion of a game as being part of the offering. In fact he owes us nothing!

Can we just clear this up once and for all? People seem to be having trouble with this concept. You are entitled to nothing posted:

You are entitled to nothing.

This game has not been released yet. It is not polished. It is not finished. It is in development. Things may change. It may break tomorrow and not come back for a while.
If you don't like this arrangement, then don't give CIG your money. That's how this works. It's as simple as that. Did you read all the little words that popped up before you gave some stranger on the internet your money? Who gives some stranger on the internet their money without first reading to see what the terms would be? If you gave this stranger on the internet your money, you did it so that he could make the video game that he really, really wanted to make. You did not do it to be handed a finished product. If you did, not only are you doing it wrong, but I have a game to sell you...I think you'll really like it. ;)

Why are people having so much trouble with this concept? If you're not comfortable with handing over your money for something that may or may not ever materialize, come back when the game is released. We'll be happy to have you. But until then, just remember that you are entitled to nothing.

quote:

Except it's not a right. We don't have a right to be included or listened to or anything. It's a privilege and a blessing and I'm grateful for it.

But it says right in the two little boxes we have to check before Chris lets us give him our money:

quote:

You acknowledge that the game is currently in development. Parts of the game are made available in alpha versions for your testing and feedback. Naturally, alpha releases will have bugs and other deficiencies. We encourage community feedback but the final game design decisions rest solely with us as developer. Any deficiencies of alpha releases, or any game design decisions may not be considered a breach of our obligations, and will not entitle you to a refund.

By placing your order, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and accepted our Terms of Service in particular, section Fundraising & Pledges.

I cannot reiterate this enough. For the privilege of giving Chris our money, we are entitled to nothing. He is obligated to give us nothing.

I believe he will give us something amazing. And I believe that most of us believe he will give us something amazing with our help. But nobody is entitled to his vision for even one minute.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Instead of asking why people still give Star Citizen money they should be asking why no other studio was able to release something better.
????

What can you „do“/play in the SC PTU that you can’t in other games, exactly?

1.) Walking in your „crafted“spaceship
2.)....

That was it?
All other space games have ships flying, space combat, exploring, planets etc?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Lol Squadron 42 really must be really close to Beta.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Store Citizen: For the privilege of giving Chris money

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Mr.PayDay posted:

Instead of asking why people still give Star Citizen money they should be asking why no other studio was able to release something better.
????

2.)....

That was it?

UUUH, what other game exactly has 617 TRILLION square miles of play area, hmm?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

colonelwest posted:

Lol Squadron 42 really must be really close to Beta.

Ben Lesnick played through the whole thing in grey box about 5 years ago. It was incredible, he said.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

I call that a quality post/username combo

Is that character assassination? :ohdear:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
The great thing with the success of the crowd funding is that we now actually need a lot less of this money, which means that the investors will have a much smaller share of the company and thus less say in the long term business decisions of the company (which are different than the creative decisions made building Star Citizen).

Chris Robbers, February 2013

https://archive.is/q4dxU

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

Mr.PayDay posted:

????

2.)....

That was it?

I think it's pretty simple:
Other games don't have purchasable ships for thousands of dollars. There are no imaginary space ship manufacturers with brand image, commercials and such in those normal games. Can't afford a Jaguar in real life? A 890 jump will do. Also, by buying ships you support the development (*cough* *cough*) and it brings you the kindness of other backers. We all know the situation: The car needs repair, investing excess money would be wiser, but you couldn't help but buying this one shiny ship that will bring you thousands of hours of fun with your org-buddies. Sure, it might get you into trouble with your wife, but we Citizens know that problem, right? We all understand.

It's really not about the game and the player numbers indicate this. It is about being in a community with people as stupid as yourself and getting confirmation there. It's about sunk cost, it's about imaginary status within the 'Verse that's linearly dependent to the amount of money spent.
Remember Ascent? They completed Molten Core first after 154 days. Remember Boxer? He was the korean godfather of StarCraft using unorthodox tactics. Remember Thresh? He won John Carmacks Ferrari in a Quake Tournament.
Guilds or single people that played a game to perfection, making a name for themselves, but started under the same conditions as everyone else. In the SC-world it doesn't matter, there are no game mechanics or anything meaningful to do. The only thing you can do to get recognized in that hosed up community is spending insane amounts of money.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Ben Lesnick played through the whole thing in grey box about 5 years ago. It was incredible, he said.

It was not Lesnick who played the „first SQ42“ (lol).
He just referred to the INN Session July 22th 2016, and it’s another hilarious read of lies and dodging questions.

http://staging.imperialnews.network/2016/07/reverse-the-verse-episode-104-summary/

Q: Have you been able to play through a mission in SQ42 yet?

Disco has been able to, but has chosen not to.
Tyler has played through every mission because he comes from QA, and it was his job to to so.

yeah, sure

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

ggangensis posted:

The only thing you can do to get recognized in that hosed up community is spending insane amounts of money.
...to play in a technically outdated and empty non-feature-locked pre Alpha space sandbox where standard gaming development best practice does not even work in countless areas.

And it only required 300+ Million Dollars and 2800 days.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So what's the most popular topic today at the :reddit:

Nothing to see here.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Mr.PayDay posted:

He just referred to the INN Session July 22th 2016, and it’s another hilarious read of lies and dodging questions.

http://staging.imperialnews.network/2016/07/reverse-the-verse-episode-104-summary/

Tyler has played through every mission because he comes from QA, and it was his job to to so.

yeah, sure

Talking about Lesnick, was there a list somewhere of his main posts in the forum showing how he was at the forefront of the community turning into a toxic beast?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

trucutru posted:

So what's the most popular topic today at the :reddit:

Nothing to see here.

So much to see here XD

quote:

I’m so happy I sold all of my ships and my account... paid for a trip to Greece.

quote:

I've tried to sell mine but no bites, and I'm offering it for hundreds cheaper than its worth

quote:

In Dec 2012, Bitcoin was $13. If I bought like 5 coins for $65 instead of a game package and avenger upgrade, they'd be worth $58,000 today...

quote:

If i put my 1k into TSLA back in 2012, i would have 42k by now...

quote:

It's almost Trumpian.
Chris Roberts declared he was gonna build a big, beautiful wall space simulation and that consoles were gonna pay for it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The mocap is nearly finished.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Mr.PayDay posted:

yeah, sure

I’m sure it was one of those streams he did with his missus where he said that he had played through it all. Damned if I care enough to go looking for it, though.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
More negative stuff from YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2lQKRTn2yk

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

YongYea is covering it?

:lol:

Going mainstream.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

YongYea is a total fudster.

nice

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Straight up calls it a scam.

The comments are brutally negative.

Is this bad news for Star Citizen?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yong Yea is just so bad (and pads his stuff like no other) but I may see that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Things are looking rough for CIG they're gonna have to really turn things around and do something drastic to get the Citizens back on board. Perhaps go so far as to release a new Cutlass colour variant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Mirificus posted:

quote:

Yep. Most of us that have been here for a long time realize that CIG always gets quiet around this time of year. Literally every year. They get quiet, then we usually get some cool surprises and fun stuff from CitizenCon / Anniversary Stream and so on.
I think it's good for SQ54 and Scam Citizen that every year since early days CIG behaves exactly the same way. Especially when this pattern continues in years and months that a release was promised, or a beta in this particular case.

Yep, as long as nothing changes, things are normal.