Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Can't wait till this gets VR support

SC has no VR support promise right? lol

E: Also can you imagine what the MS Flight Sim budget is compared to SC? LOLOLOL

Star Citizen is VR really, all they have to do is flip the switch to turn it on.

https://uploadvr.com/star-citizen-will-still-get-vr-support-chris-roberts-confirms/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS6FpCpt5m4&t=1560s

Renfield fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

Zaphod42 posted:

god drat this is pathetic

30 minutes of trying to make excuses and dismiss all criticism as illegitimate

"lets be real, those aren't the real fans"

"lets be real, you've never played the game"

Just goddamn

For somebody who has absolutely no say or input in anything about the development of this game, he sure says "we" a lot.

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

I don't know when the last time they said "soon," but somebody ask him when SQ54 is going into beta, cuz I remember them saying something about Q3 2020, and we are in Q3 2020 and I don't see no SQ54 beta. OR maybe ask him if we are really going to get Crusader and Orison at the end of the year, cross your heart and hope to die.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

Ehh... SC's direct budget probably dwarf's FS2020's direct budget. But if we add in the "secondary" budget that makes FL2020 possible, such as all that goes into Bing Maps(like satellite data), Azure AI, weather radar feeds, and flight tracking and we are easily talking about mega billions. Asobo Studio is using the tools of a tech giant and the infrastructure of the aviation industry to make FS2020 happen.

What nonsense is this? Like of course? But Bing Maps and Azure AI are all profitable on their own right; they don't need FL2020 to stay afloat. This is crazy talk dude.

By that same metric we'd have to include all of the Crysis/Lumberyard cost as part of SC? And include all the billions of dollars in transistor research that made computers even possible..... like wtf?

No dude you compare the two products' against each other. FS2020 vs SC is david vs goliath in cost, and yet david kicks goliath's rear end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

"The game is already built for VR, because the UI is diagetic"

FUUUUUUCK no Chris. Lmao. Your animations and camera system alone are 100% incompatible with a VR game.

Dude loves talking out his rear end.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Zaphod42 posted:

"The game is already built for VR, because the UI is diagetic"

FUUUUUUCK no Chris. Lmao. Your animations and camera system alone are 100% incompatible with a VR game.

Dude loves talking out his rear end.

Once in a while you hear about some guy who fakes his own death. Chris Roberts is one of those rare guys who faked his own life.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

8 years of building tool chains and core features into StarEngine really has paid off. The content development is really beginning to pick up the pace. I wouldn't be surprised if it all just comes together quickly once server meshing launches. They can then add more districts to cities by just incrementing a number in their procedural tech.

I love that the space is designed into an amphitheater also. It'll be cool to be at an event that has 100s of players all there to watch a live release of new tech in a virtual world. Lets hope all their engineering work going into server meshing pays off

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

Ben, Lando and Tyler all walked different paths but ended up in the same place — embarrassed to talk about the games they once hyped...

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/1288195982878896128

Is "23 weeks of trek" a threat? Sure seems so

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Zaphod42 posted:

This is gold right here. Wow.

Also this link from the comments is just full of amazing quotes :allears:

https://imgur.com/a/P9PZSNw

My favorite reply to that album

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

Zaphod42 posted:

What nonsense is this? Like of course? But Bing Maps and Azure AI are all profitable on their own right; they don't need FL2020 to stay afloat. This is crazy talk dude.

By that same metric we'd have to include all of the Crysis/Lumberyard cost as part of SC? And include all the billions of dollars in transistor research that made computers even possible..... like wtf?

No dude you compare the two products' against each other. FS2020 vs SC is david vs goliath in cost, and yet david kicks goliath's rear end.

Bringing up computers and game engines doesn't make sense to me, because both games use computers and game engines, so that's a wash. Sure, Bing Maps and Azure AI and the aviation industry are profitable on their own. So what? That doesn't change the fact Asobo Studios is using these tools innovatively to bring their game to life. Bing Maps and Azure AI, in particular, are Microsoft specific tools that Asobo has access to/is using because Asobo is working on a Microsoft flagship product. So I don't think comparing budgets between the two is that straight forward, when one company has access to an OG tech giant's war chest and the infrastructure of the aviation industry to make their game. These are tools and resources CIG doesn't have access too, and 300 million dollars doesn't come close to compensating for. Both games are sims, and that's why we compare them, but it's still space sim vs flight sim, so comparisons are going to be a bit apples vs oranges.

TheBombPhilosopher fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 2, 2020

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

quote:

and before anyone comes along and white knights against this

Do not put words in my mouth.

First and foremost: I am not here to defend CIG. They need no defending. They will continue to make their game and they will be just fine with ZERO intervention on my part.

I am here for the community. I'm here for the people who are being mislead and misinformed by the negativity and, in some cases, troll and hate behavior by some people around here. I am speaking to hopefully help them. I might even be trying to help YOU.

quote:

saying that CIG had to re-work everything due to SC's huge success

I don't know why they like to re-work things this much. Perhaps it is the most efficient way to do things. Sometimes, you have to make stuff, even if you're not sure how it will be used down the line. You do your best to plan for it but sometimes you make things that have to be changed to fit the altered plans you've enacted later. So re-works allow a large part of the work to be done beforehand and then fixed later, but at the cost of some additional time spent on that work.

Simply put, if the work wasted by sitting around doing nothing is greater than the additional work added later, it may be better to actually take that time and re-work things later. Better as in more efficient or effective.

quote:

how come everyone doesnt CLEARLY know this?

Well some people don't want to know. And when you don't want to know something, even when presented with clear explanations for it, even when told directly by the people doing it, if you don't want to know or hear something you may STILL find yourself acting as if it were not so.

Let me say that again: if you don't wanna hear it, you very well might hear everything about it and still not change your mind. That's pretty common on the internet in fact. I imagine you can appreciate how prevalent it is on the internet.

quote:

How come we see all these lies instead of understandable reasons?

Hold on, lies? I still don't see any lies. A lie requires them to intentionally tell us something that they know not to be true, to mislead us and manipulate us. I see far more lies coming from members of this community than I do from CIG. Often, the real issue is that some people are misinformed.

If you're sure they've lied, I'd like to see the lies and the proof of their being lies. I would be greatly affected by this, as someone who is a fan of CIG's work. I don't believe they'd lie to us, and at the very least I believe that anyone actively lying from the company to the fans and community here would likely have their employment terminated.

A lot of the time the bandwagon is a big problem. Maybe you've heard they lied several times from someone who you have seen to be reliable, and so you trust that they're not themselves misleading you and that they're correct. But they may not be. Or maybe you have a reason you'd like to believe they're lying, because it makes more sense to fit what you otherwise observe or believe about them. Are either of those the case?

quote:

It all comes down to CIG's terrible communication (vs great marketing).

I freely admit they're not as good at communicating some thing as I would like. However, there's a big difference between a bunch of friends being open and honest with each other, of holding nothing back, and a game development company making a 300+ million dollar game. They're very, very, very open and communicative considering. I mean no offense to the fans of Star Citizen, but in general we are something like spoiled brats, demanding more when we've already been given some of the deepest insights in the entire industry.

Personally, I choose to step back and let them decide how much to reveal and how much to hold back. They've done alright so far, and they reveal things when they're ready. (I am of the opinion a few bugs and glitches during a real demo, not a pre-recorded one, are actually a good thing as they keep us a bit more grounded in reality.)

quote:

I can only assume that lies of this scale were made before they really had any clue about what they were doing, ie before proper dev actually began.

These are not lies... these are their intentions. I'm not sure how you got those two things confused. OP has stated they are drinking, so I'm kinda ignoring that whole post in general and prefer not to criticize them for it.

quote:

Sure, now, during assumedly proper dev, we still have delays and cut features but they are nothing like the gargantuan scale of under estimation found in that CitCon presentation.

Let me give you an example I'm sure you can understand: if I say its likely to be sunny tomorrow, you can see how that's a LOT easier to predict than my telling you it will be sunny on December 31st this year.

See what I mean?

CIG and Chris himself have literally shown that they are getting better and better with predicting this kind of thing as time goes on. They still have missteps of course. But they're not lying. They are improving, working on the game, and trying to do it all efficiently. The people responsible for telling us how far along the game is have a very difficult job, you can imagine. Ask yourself how you'd deal with your own criticisms if you were in CIGs shoes. Don't forget to take into account ALL of the possible factors, even the ones you can't guess at. (That's right, just because you can't guess what problems they might face does NOT mean they will not face them. You are not omniscient and neither are they.)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Mirificus posted:

I don't know why they like to re-work things this much. Perhaps it is the most efficient way to do things.

For sure. The shortest distance between two points is a series of spirals, reverses, detours and roundabouts in whatever direction feels right at the time.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

First and foremost: I am not here to defend CIG

A billion words defending CIG later...

quote:

See what I mean?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

G0RF posted:

For sure. The shortest distance between two points is a series of spirals, reverses, detours and roundabouts in whatever direction feels right at the time.

quote:

Lets keep it real, friend. Lets be realistic here. Please. Try to stay positive.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Bubbacub posted:

Videos of people landing midsize airliners at random airports in the preview build of FS2020 is more exciting than anything that's come out of CIG (and actually showcases genuinely groundbreaking tech).

Until my pilot walks to the bar and the bar tender welcomes me and offers me my favorite drink, I think FS2020 is still far back in second place to Chris Roberts Star Citizen.

You can't even see your hands in FS2020 - no grabby hands, no BDSSE!

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Kosumo posted:

Until my pilot walks to the bar and the bar tender welcomes me and offers me my favorite drink, I think FS2020 is still far back in second place to Chris Roberts Star Citizen.

You can't even see your hands in FS2020 - no grabby hands, no BDSSE!

- No, but FS2020 has things you can actually do with your invisible hands

- Ah, well, nevertheless

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

G0RF posted:

Ben, Lando and Tyler all walked different paths but ended up in the same place — embarrassed to talk about the games they once hyped...

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/1288195982878896128
https://twitter.com/discolando/status/1289581239284854784
https://twitter.com/CanguroGuro/status/1289606396506324992
https://twitter.com/discolando/status/1289608239328329729
Look at the guy, lowering expectations like a champ.

Nice pivot, Lando...

Lol @ Lando being being a little troll again. Yeah it’s 100% on the backers to have any expectations for the 300 million dollars they gave you, or hold you to releasing a game that you promised them 5 years ago.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
How many bartenders does FS2020 have?

Zero.

Checkmate FUDsters.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Zaphod42 posted:

SC has no VR support promise right? lol

Depends. Promise as in "did CIG promise it"? Yes, yes they did. Promise as in "promise as a VR game"? gently caress no. Even if they somehow hack VR support in, VR requires very high framerates to be physically tolerable. Stuttering, framerate drops, low framerates, camera jerking around, all those things cause intense nausea and taking camera control away from the player is a HUGE no written in 720 point letters (and the only tool in Chris's toolkit), so Star Citizen is pretty much turbo hosed as a VR game.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Der Shovel posted:

Depends. Promise as in "did CIG promise it"? Yes, yes they did. Promise as in "promise as a VR game"? gently caress no. Even if they somehow hack VR support in, VR requires very high framerates to be physically tolerable. Stuttering, framerate drops, low framerates, camera jerking around, all those things cause intense nausea and taking camera control away from the player is a HUGE no written in 720 point letters (and the only tool in Chris's toolkit), so Star Citizen is pretty much turbo hosed as a VR game.

It's true, all of it

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

Lol @ Lando being being a little troll again. Yeah it’s 100% on the backers to have any expectations for the 300 million dollars they gave you, or hold you to releasing a game that you promised them 5 years ago.

I think they should at least be thankful he's treating them exactly how he treated his publishers back in the day. Maybe when he's forcefully ejected from the project things will start to happen.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
for want of a meaningless filler sc42 video, the kingdom was lost

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
They could have but out another quick cut of ship models like they did around Christmas time and that would have been enough to quell the backers for a few more months. But instead they just decided to let it build until it leaked outside their backer bubble.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Star Citizer: Made by unobtanium

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
https://i.imgur.com/HW1dRHD.mp4

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.

*chef's kiss*

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Pixelate posted:

Star Citizer: Made by unobtanium

I love this, it's just a bunch of made up nothing. It has no meaning whatsoever and yet at the end the conclusion is supposed to be "and game good".

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Is this technology already in released games? It moves a lot like I see characters in stuff like Assassin's Creed, Witcher 3, and Naughty Dog games.

No but it's getting close. Those games use something called Animation Blending to shift between different bones in a rig to blend together their movements. For example you might animate the torso twisting and the legs and arms moving separately, then weight different parts of the animation when performing an action. Speaking of "weighting", Left 4 Dead introduced physics-based animation, where joints are influenced by the physics engine and blend with the animation. For example, when zombies lean into turns, the vector generated by the entity's momentum is (and this is where I don't know for sure) probably being added to the rotational or translational vector of the joint.

But this sort of nodal learning structure is almost definitely going to be put into the next generation of game engines, it's super exciting!

I would love to implement a learning AI into a game and engine, I think it would be really fun to be a part of that.

UnknownTarget fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 2, 2020

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

UnknownTarget posted:

No but it's getting close. Those games use something called Animation Blending to shift between different bones in a rig to blend together their movements. For example you might animate the torso twisting and the legs and arms moving separately, then weight different parts of the animation when performing an action. Speaking of "weighting", Left 4 Dead introduced physics-based animation, where joints are influenced by the physics engine and blend with the animation. For example, when zombies lean into turns, the vector generated by the entity's momentum is (and this is where I don't know for sure) probably being added to the rotational or translational vector of the joint.

But this sort of nodal learning structure is almost definitely going to be put into the next generation of game engines, it's super exciting!

I would love to implement a learning AI into a game and engine, I think it would be really fun to be a part of that.

I hear a company named Cloud Imperium is currently hiring talented AI Engineers. this could be your chance

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

You just got Event Horizoned.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Here is some free PR advice for CIG regarding the fiasco of the roadmap to the roadmap.

Tell your backers that this new roadmap will punch above it's weight. They seem to always buy that.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Popete posted:

I love this, it's just a bunch of made up nothing. It has no meaning whatsoever and yet at the end the conclusion is supposed to be "and game good".

step one: 50 players and one star system

step two: ???

step three: dynamic server meshing

step four: 50,000 players and over a hundred star systems

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

happyhippy posted:

You just got Event Horizoned.

lmao i had the same thought.

LIBERA TE TUTEMET EX INFERIS

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I really wonder what kind of system the Producers in SC use to manage their deliverables.

Kanban? Some juggernaught of an excel sheet? MS Project?

Or do they just do their hand wavium thing that CR does all the time pretending milestones are met and functionality is delivered?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

no_recall posted:

I really wonder what kind of system the Producers in SC use to manage their deliverables.

Or do they just do their hand wavium thing that CR does all the time pretending milestones are met and functionality is delivered?

They probably tell themselves its Kanban but in reality its just pure chaos and lies

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

no_recall posted:

They say that they use JIRA, but hey probably have a darts board.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
2020 has been a poo poo year for everyone, and I've had other stuff in my personal life really really go to poo poo on top of everything else.

that post laying out the roadmap for the roadmap to the roadmap has been one of the funniest things I've read in many months. a real beacon of light in these dark times.

thank you, cig

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
CIG always delivers, just not what you paid for.

Unless you paid for unexpected hilarity, and I guess most of us here at SA did that at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

raffle!