Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
1. Can't reach even menu screen because of 16k error
2. Finally I reached menu screen
3. Wake up ~ Take off
4. Forced Autopilot
5. While autopiloting, my ship hits an invisible wall and blows up
6. It took me back to menu screen instead of bed
7. Press go back button
8. Press quit game button

@Star Gambit@Hawker75

Yesterday at 7:37 pm

Watch a tutorial on the departure path guidance. It is easy. If the autopilot comes on, you were not flying where you should have been.

@Kazuuk@Kazuuk

Yesterday at 7:38 pm

or they desyncd, bugged out, lagged, etc. Heck, the splines don't even lead to or from the hanger. It's just overall a very piss poor design.

@Star Gambit@Hawker75

Yesterday at 8:03 pm

No, it is not. It is a tier zero design That just needs a few small tweaks to make it awesome

@Kazuuk@Kazuuk

Yesterday at 8:04 pm

Lol

@Star Gambit@Hawker75

Yesterday at 8:05 pm

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

oh no

ohhhhhh nooooooooooooooo

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Fidelitious posted:

Oh, well that sounds very promising doesn't it.
So once they put in server meshing server instability will get even worse. I mean I get it, you have to plan for servers crashing and how to recover from it, it's going to inevitably happen. But this is really making it sound like "limit the collateral damage of a crash and spin up a recovery" is the cornerstone of their server stability efforts.

How will server meshing handle visibility between servers?
How will server meshing handle physics interactions between entities on different servers?
How will server meshing handle migrating between servers (on foot / in a ship)?
How will server meshing handle dynamically splitting a space into 2 or more new spaces?
How will server meshing handle combining 2 or more spaces into a single space?
How is the size of a space partition determined? Are they divided in half? Into Octrees?
How will the game simulation run in spaces that are not occupied by any players? Will it still require a server instance?
What is the density limit of a server partition?
How do you accomplish any of this without introducing noticeable lag, stuttering, or loading to the client?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
:reddit: 3.10 experience after a year away

quote:

I reinstalled to play again last week. Spent 9 hours in game and experienced nothing but janky frustration. The game just isn't fun. Why the hell do I have to find a shop to buy food, oxygen, water and watch horrific animations every time, only to find half the items on the floor?

I tried Missing persons missions and got stuck in three of the six missions. Not lost, stuck.
Abandoned.

Tried an 'assistance' mission for 10k....took 10 mins to get there, shot 2 ships, got 10k. Pretty cool. All of this was made easier with the free Freelancer. If I'd have tried ANY of this with my starter Aurora ship, I would have died.

Tried mining. Had to buy a suit, a laser, an addon, food and water with my 10k, watch a video showing me how to do all of this, find a planet, get to the planet, find a rock, watch another video about how to mine. Suit wasnt good enough to handle the cold. Abandoned.

After approximately 9 hours in game, I had about ten minutes fun.

3.10 just dropped, so now, a week later, thought I'd try again. Same crap. 3 crashes and had to watch another video just to learn how to leave Loreville due to autopilot, ship damaged, landed again, couldn't repair. left again, autopilot flew me THROUGH the planet.

Restarted, managed to leave Loreville to find that everything I'd bought in 3.9 to mine was gone, but my USC reflected what I'd spent, so I've lost half my starting money, all my equipment, and my ship is damaged but I cannot repair. Someone gave me 50k - superb! - so I bought the mining equipment I needed, flew to the only 'Missing persons' mission available - the other 5 have gone, and again, I got stuck in the mine and had to reload. At this point I stared at the screen and thought, nope. No more. This is my weekend, and I'm wasting it. Abandoned.

If anyone can tell me how to enjoy this game, please please please reply with ANYTHING but 'get a better ship' or GIT GUD.

quote:

Its not a game. Manage your expectations.

Star Citizen: Its not a game. Manage your expectations.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Spaceship game coming along nicely.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Pixelate posted:

Star Citizen: Its not a game. Manage your expectations.

:vince:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Shazback posted:

Tier-1 (upcoming in ~2 weeeks): the game will automatically synchronize in all clocks in your home to match Universal Stimpire Time when you connect to the 'verse, handle dynamic space-time zone change during your travels and relativistic changes from the great flight model custom built by Chris Roberts!

Pledge now for the Aegis GRANDFATHER - show all your guildmates the current stardates with this special timekeeping ship from Aegis Dynamics, with fully operating laser-clockfaces on all sides of the hull, pulling time from the special atomic clock in CIG headquarters to keep the verse ticking along (clock may actually be digital display on coffee machine, clockfaces currently disabled due to bug causing servers to crash every time the numeral 4 is displayed).

No it's not just Big Ben with rocket engines bolted to it. It's, er, a replica of the private clock tower made in 2344 for Imperator Biggus Bennius (not that one). See this 5000-word lorepost for details since we couldn't get the movie finished in time for CitCon. PLEDGE NOW for the Aegis Grandfather and PLEDGE MORE for this delightful hangar flair version that sits on a shelf in one corner of your hangar and ticks (ticking currently disabled due to bug that makes the ticking sound play so loudly it causes players'' headsets to melt).

djent
Nov 28, 2013

It's metal to like clowns

spaceman nose energy

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Bubbacub posted:

You can tell Chris' brain is frozen in the time period when colored lighting in 3D accelerated games was an exciting new feature

Well I do think women in top hats are kind of sexy.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

So, I've been playing a lot of Grounded lately. It's an early-access survival game where you and your friends get "Honey I Shrunk the Kids"-ed and have to run around a back yard trying not to get eaten by spiders:

It hit early access like a week ago, so obviously it's full of bugs (haha get it) and a lot of stuff doesn't work exactly right, and the storyline quests basically stop after the first three. And it follows the exact same survival game mechanics that you might find in something like The Forest - hit stuff with an appropriate tool type, gather the little pieces that fall down, use it to make bigger stuff - even down to the "can only carry 6 logs at a time" deal. By all rights it's pretty simple stuff that doesn't bring a lot of complexity to the picture. But I was watching a Star Citizen streamer try out the new mining truck this morning, what with all its different types of beams and varying percentages of yields or whatever, and I realized I would 10000% rather have this "make a hammer, use it to hit rocks to make a better hammer" poo poo because it actually feels connected to the game. Whatever complexity is there is in service of making the game fun, not just wedged in there because some fat idiot was like "We have to have the most detailed rock-hitting simulator of all time" and imo it's better that way. Anyway that won't be news to anyone but it did get me thinking that Star Citizen sorta shot itself in the foot right out of the gate because in order to be able to make money they had to show incredibly detailed poo poo instead of being like "here's some grey squares, use them to shoot at other grey squares."

Steam showed me this last week or something and it really intrigued me too, something about the little imaginary army men wars I'd have in the backyard as a kid. definitely keeping an eye on it

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

boviscopophobic posted:

It is cutesy Japanese onomatopoeia for the "sound" of hopping, often applied e.g. to bunnies. It is also sometimes used in sentences as an affectation of cuteness.

But terminal anime brain disease is a better description in this case.

Folks the tests came back and I’m afraid that anime is... bad.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

The Headless Pengu! Run Ichabod Roberts!

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Fidelitious posted:

Oh, well that sounds very promising doesn't it.
So once they put in server meshing server instability will get even worse. I mean I get it, you have to plan for servers crashing and how to recover from it, it's going to inevitably happen. But this is really making it sound like "limit the collateral damage of a crash and spin up a recovery" is the cornerstone of their server stability efforts.

Imagine being a dev that treats “not letting some other server crash kill my server” as genius level design and innovation.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

It looks exactly like Second Life lol

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Quavers posted:

:eng99: How can server meshing etc be built upon server code this bad?

Hello,

I think we all know pretty well how bad the server code currently is. Only two keywords are necessary to summarize the situation: desync and 30k. Server meshing and item cache (required for full persistence) were announced by CR during his 2018 CititzenCon keynote as the key milestones on the "road to release". [1]

But how can you technically implement those technologies on top of such bad server code?

Is that the reason why we've been getting no news on the progress of those milestone technologies? Or will server meshing actually improve the situation by decreasing the load on the individual overloaded servers?

What can be done and what is currently being done or planned to improve the server code issues?

Thank you.

:trustme: @Clive Johnson CIG@cjohnson

Building Server Meshing on top of unstable servers or where players experience desync is not ideal but is the only realistic way to do it.

I have previously posted about what causes server crashes (most often the cause of the infamous 30000 disconnection error) and what we are doing to address them. Hopefully you don't mind if I just lazily copy paste the link here:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/server-issues-30k/3034939

Sever instability could be even more detrimental for Server Meshing than it currently is for separate instances simply because a server crash could affect more clients than are connected to a single server. We're planning to address this in a couple of ways. First, Server Meshing will try to minimise the connections between servers, breaking up the universe into isolated islands of simulation, so that when a server in one "island" crashes it cannot affect those servers and clients in other islands. Second, we'll be adding server crash recovery so when a server does crash a new server will spin up and restore the state of the crashed server from persistence (clients of the crashed server will probably still be 30k'd back to the main menu but then given an option to join the new server). Both of the above are big reasons why full persistence and S-OCS are required before Server Meshing can work. Of course, we'll also continue fixing server crashes as quickly as we can once they have been discovered.

Desync is often used to describe a wide range of issues including stuttering, teleporting, rubber banding, high latency, as well as true desync, where objects are in completely different states on different clients and won't recover. Different symptoms have their own causes and without the correct information it is often difficult to reproduce these bugs internally. When reporting desync issues to the Issue Council please be as specific as possible as to what it is you have actually seen and provide videos where you can (preferably with the r_displaySessionInfo = 1 QR code enabled). What we do know, however, are the major causes for these different types of desync. "True desyncs" are usually caused by a logic error in some piece of code and the only way to fix them is to reproduce the bug and track down where the logic error is occurring. Stuttering, teleporting and rubber banding, are most often caused by low server frame rate or by sudden frame spikes (a frame that takes a lot longer to process than the frames immediately before or after it) on a client or the server. The best way to fix these is optimising the code to improve average frame rate or eliminate the spikes. But, as part of our work on Server Meshing, we've been working on ways to make the network code more resilient to low frame rates and frame spikes. My team (network) also has tasks to fix the spikes occurring in our code (but there are also spikes in other systems that their teams will need to address). High latency can be caused by low server frame rates and high bandwidth between clients and server. Additionally some frame spikes can cause high bandwidth (and therefore latency) or can be caused by them. We do have tasks to optimise bandwidth and look at other techniques for reducing or hiding latency. Some are on other teams and will be rolled out gradually according to their schedules. The ones on my team are currently scheduled for after we've got Server Meshing working but, as with everything in game development, plans may change and we'll continue to monitor the situation.

Eight years into the development of a MMO: we're planning to address this...

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Nicholas posted:

How will server meshing handle visibility between servers?
How will server meshing handle physics interactions between entities on different servers?
How will server meshing handle migrating between servers (on foot / in a ship)?
How will server meshing handle dynamically splitting a space into 2 or more new spaces?
How will server meshing handle combining 2 or more spaces into a single space?
How is the size of a space partition determined? Are they divided in half? Into Octrees?
How will the game simulation run in spaces that are not occupied by any players? Will it still require a server instance?
What is the density limit of a server partition?
How do you accomplish any of this without introducing noticeable lag, stuttering, or loading to the client?

Chrisrobertswavehands.gif

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
How desperate is it that they call less than one system with some (not to scale) planets and moons a universe.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inacio posted:

the image for the july 2020 dev report

TheAgent posted:

pretty much sums up everything about star citizen in a single loving picture

oh cool they added awkward sex RP to star citizen

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Folks the tests came back and I’m afraid that anime is... bad.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood doesn't count as anime right?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

trucutru posted:

Eight years into the development of a MMO: we're planning to address this...

That's honestly utterly crazy to me. When you look at other games they start at the technical stuff. Eve Online was a 2D game with placeholder sprites in the beginning because they just needed some rudimentary mockup of a client to make sure their server tech worked! These fundamental things need to be ironed out in the very beginning because they become impossible to change later. That's why serious projects spend so much time in pre-production making prototypes to figure out the problem space! This is utterly basic project management stuff, for fucks sake.

This poo poo really gets to me for some reason. It's so utterly backwards. It's almost impossible to go back and change fundamental aspects of a large software project in the same way it is hard to replace the foundation of a skyscraper after it is already 30 storeys high.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Antigravitas posted:

That's honestly utterly crazy to me. When you look at other games they start at the technical stuff. Eve Online was a 2D game with placeholder sprites in the beginning because they just needed some rudimentary mockup of a client to make sure their server tech worked! These fundamental things need to be ironed out in the very beginning because they become impossible to change later. That's why serious projects spend so much time in pre-production making prototypes to figure out the problem space! This is utterly basic project management stuff, for fucks sake.

This poo poo really gets to me for some reason. It's so utterly backwards. It's almost impossible to go back and change fundamental aspects of a large software project in the same way it is hard to replace the foundation of a skyscraper after it is already 30 storeys high.

Well this is a never-tried before kind of skyscraper which big construction would never dare to try to build so who knows? Are you a skyscraper developer? You moron, you absolute idiot.

On unrelated news, guess which lovely game got fauna first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6MnYX6OJvM&t=104s

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
"Time to explain for those who don't get it, what is Star Citizen."

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
It's almost there

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Excited Customer Citizen

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
They start to get it. Sometimes, even in Cultist closed bubble forums.

On 3.10:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I think there's a bestseller in the making. It would have to be very layman's terms, like how A Brief History of Time only has one equation in it, but it would also need to scathing and venomous to arouse the reader's interest. You would give a blow-by-blow account of how one mildly famous, mildly talented man who somehow got booted from Hollywood was able to conjure so much funding from consumers. You'd draw up portraits of all the major players: where they came from, what impact they had on the project, and when they fled the coop with cash in hand. Again and again you'd need to hammer down how absurd it is to pay actual money for pictures of a spaceship. You would end every chapter with "Despite these setbacks the funding did not stop. "It'd be like Bad Blood, but fatter.

I don't give a poo poo about space-sims, but I do hate when someone poisons the well that is crowdfunded game-development.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
I love digging through old threads and all their delusion

And all that contrast now in 2020. Still a pre Alpha PTU techdemo with all crucial content + mmo + features almost completely missing and especially SQ42 MIA. In year 9.
Radio silence from CR, missing trailers, failing to deliver a ROADMAP after 4 months of promising better roadmaps. lol

Star Citizen: All us Citizens are playing the role of the producer

btw the dude who posted this:

:ohdear: and:

F

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
STAR CITIZEN MOST LIKELY BIGGEST FLOP?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OxQKbxiohA

Reading the comments, half of a DECADE later is :allears:

Chris Robbers does not make average scams

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Antigravitas posted:

This is my go to response to Citizens when they go on about all of the “progress” that has been made on the game.

It’s absolutely baffling that after 8 years and $300 million down the drain, they still haven’t built or even in many cases planned the basic infrastructure for an MMO that’s supposed to support thousands of players interacting simultaneously in massive space battles.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

I would love to read their "reasoning" now.
Reading how their mental gymnastics explain thios shitshow now.
Exactly 5,5 years and 200 Million additional Dollars later, while 0% of SQ42 is released.
While like 90% of the SC fundamental content, MMO features, ecosystem, professions, 1000 player batttles etc. are still missing.

"The biggest and best game ever for it's price" 😂

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Antigravitas posted:

That's one thing that's fascinated me about SC is the weird priorities they put on things. Like they had all these ships but didn't have female character models till like last year.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Oh I just noticed the ice cream cone. I like how the player is as confused looking as I am.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

I assume that the reason the male character is staring vacantly at odd angles because the player is trying to navigate the "Inner Thoughts" menu?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lammasu posted:

That's one thing that's fascinated me about SC is the weird priorities they put on things. Like they had all these ships but didn't have female character models till like last year.

What's weird about that? You can sell the ships, while the female model is expected to be free

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Lammasu posted:

They put off the female character models on purpose. They know their consumer base and wanted to hold off the creeps as long as possible.

Flannelette posted:

Oh I just noticed the ice cream cone. I like how the player is as confused looking as I am.

Looks totally normal to me...

Don't you also eat ice cream cones in fern-filled techno bars while wearing a top hat?

[edit-] I actually unmuted that for the first time- apparently it's also a seaside fern-filled techno bar...

I remember the game having kinda decent music all things considered- what, is the music guy not on the payroll anymore? They couldn't have piped in a generic fern-techno beat? Or even an archered version of the Star Wars cantina song?

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 9, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I isolated this moment because I love it so much

Her thumb is wild right at the end there

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

They put off the female character models on purpose. They know their consumer base and wanted to hold off the creeps as long as possible.

Yeah I think it’s why the haven’t put in a single hint of sexuality into the game, not even a racy advert. They know the inevitable consequences of pouring any fuel onto that fire. The next thing you know the top post on Spectrum will be a demand for a $1000 sex dungeon ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KilF6mQO2k