Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

DigitalPenny posted:

Yea but when I try copy a big formula down 10k rows in excel it hangs on my PC, so if I could copy the formula off to 10k severs and spin them up and have them send the answer back and fill in my 10k rows it would surely give me the correct answer but 100 times faster, this is the magic of the cloud right ?

Sarcasm aside, sure, that's sort of the whole idea behind MapReduce and Google's secret goo. But of course, that all assumes that the task and data to be mapped together are wholly independent and trivially parallelisable.

It's just bad luck that real-time games, and in particular multiplayer games really… aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Pixelate posted:

No need. Your legs usually break before that can happen.

But do you get brouzouf?

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Tippis posted:

Sarcasm aside, sure, that's sort of the whole idea behind MapReduce and Google's secret goo. But of course, that all assumes that the task and data to be mapped together are wholly independent and trivially parallelisable.

It's just bad luck that real-time games, and in particular multiplayer games really… aren't.

Not to mention that should each server cost you $0.10 to instantiate for the time you need it, you can either wait while your own PC calculates it for free, or spend $1000 on 10k servers to get your sheet calculation done 100x faster that one time. Then another $1k when you press recalculate :shepspends:

So dynamic server meshing using servers-on-demand is both not really suitable for gaming (the calculations are mostly serial, not parallel) and also is an expensive way to resolve that particular problem vs optimising your code first to not need the traffic.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sarsapariller posted:

Why hasn't every other game thought of the "One server per player" solution?

Line Of Defence does this and it cunningly does it by having 1 player online at peak times

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The problem I’m seeing is that cig has said over and over they won’t be using a subscription model

So once they “release” HA hahahaha sorry. Once they release they will be entirely dependent on ship and packages purchases , which I guess they always have

But they will have sudden and expensive server costs , at least for the first month when everyone plays to try it out.

Actually maybe they have thought it out. If no one plays after a few months they won’t have any server costs ... mission accomplished !!!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
They will have subscription poo poo, with tiers called things like 'Captain Oblivious' for £15 a month and 'Commando Supreme' for £50 a month.
Anyone who thinks GI¬G will look at free monthly money and go 'no thank u' is crazy

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I mean they already have an optional sub service that brings in tons of cash and basically gives some hanger flair or whatever

it used to be for "producing video content" but uh, yeah. yeah.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Blue On Blue posted:

The problem I’m seeing is that cig has said over and over they won’t be using a subscription model

So once they “release” HA hahahaha sorry. Once they release they will be entirely dependent on ship and packages purchases , which I guess they always have

But they will have sudden and expensive server costs , at least for the first month when everyone plays to try it out.

Actually maybe they have thought it out. If no one plays after a few months they won’t have any server costs ... mission accomplished !!!

Whales are already buying idrises to buy status. Why would :iiasb: miss an opportunity to milk them some more post-launch (hypothetically). Just have some optional premium/luxury/wing commander subscription that will grant you gently caress all and :homebrew:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TheAgent posted:

I mean they already have an optional sub service that brings in tons of cash and basically gives some hanger flair or whatever

it used to be for "producing video content" but uh, yeah. yeah.

It still is used for that, but the videos these days are chris's vacation home videos

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I miss the old CIG

the new CIG is trying to be a real games company and its kinda funny but nothing will top 2016 thru 2018 for me

*wheels fall off the rover*

~oh nooooooooooooooooo~

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
like I still legit get a hearty fuckin laugh just thinking about that ramp and that poor QA girls warbling terror

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I know I guess I was trying to be subjective

They may have said they will never , but as history has shown they most certainly will if it means more money

And yes the golden era of cig gently caress ups was great. Everyday the thread had a new banger

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Blue On Blue posted:

They may have said they will never

were_not_selling_land.jpg

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

For some reason a Citizen did a video explaining how bad the Starmap is, and he did the whole thing in a fake Colonel Sanders voice. Smell those herbs and spices as you realize how hosed this fundamental feature of the game is:

update: I can't paste the video here because for some reason getting links off of reddit never gets the sound, so here is the link. Please please please don't poo poo up the thread, just appreciate and move on.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

TheAgent posted:

like I still legit get a hearty fuckin laugh just thinking about that ramp and that poor QA girls warbling terror

That clip is in my pantheon of legendary CIG moments. It just represented everything about Star Citizen in one short ten second clip. The wheels literally came off! And then cam rolling towards the screen!

Also, I would throw the entire 2016 holiday livestream in there.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Strangler 42 posted:

That clip is in my pantheon of legendary CIG moments. It just represented everything about Star Citizen in one short ten second clip. The wheels literally came off! And then cam rolling towards the screen!

Also, I would throw the entire 2016 holiday livestream in there.

Anyone got a link of that clip? I wanna see it again now.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/sndKXfS.mp4

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Anyone got a link of that clip? I wanna see it again now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCtdyNFwQWo&t=6180s

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
every goddamn time I laugh like its the first fuckin time I've seen this poo poo

every goddamn fuckin time

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I like the crowd cheering for the person walking up the jittering ramp, as if that was some big accomplishment after what they just witnessed.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

What Christmas was it , I want to say 2016 as well

When they were weeks not months away from releasing sq42. And then they put out that horrible Christmas card with all the actors t-posed. They were clearly thrown on and tried to hide the t-posing but it was so obvious they couldn’t even take 5 minutes to fix it

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

In a very real way, CIG has just been selling multi-thousand dollar forums titles.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

When I read your post, all I could think of was:

Elite Dangerous
Kerbal Space Project
NMS (even over my gripes with it I can't deny it's a good enough game right now)

...and probably like ten other space games I haven't played would fit there.

Except for Star Citizen.

Star Citizen is anything but that.

to me
wing commander 1 (i was 7 years old, amiga 500)
wing commander 2 (i was 8 years old, pc with the mighty soundblaster)
wing commander 3 (i was 11 years old)

were that type of game, but i was a tiny fart so there is that. also xwing and especially xwing alliance.
and two awesome games on the ps one: gpolice and colony wars!

space games just need atmosphere (im probably translating this wrong) lets see how squadron404 will perform in that department.

edit: i want to see reviews and a score on metacritic.no one should be allowed to skip judgement day.

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 24, 2021

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Blue On Blue posted:

What Christmas was it , I want to say 2016 as well

When they were weeks not months away from releasing sq42. And then they put out that horrible Christmas card with all the actors t-posed. They were clearly thrown on and tried to hide the t-posing but it was so obvious they couldn’t even take 5 minutes to fix it

it was maybe 2017? The 2016 one was very memorable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6UpYsOwlGY

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Popete posted:

I like the crowd cheering for the person walking up the jittering ramp, as if that was some big accomplishment after what they just witnessed.

they have to cheer, so they do not cry

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Tippis posted:

Complex !?! Having each formula dependant on several other cells on other servers should be trivial being a single connections and you break complex problems up to byte size bits ... Easy !

Sarca aside i can see this being boggling complex to solve, highly bespoke I'd think in many cases the gains had by splitting the load are lost sending data to each sever unless you do it very carefully.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Freelancer was an absolutely fabulous game. I remember running my own dedicated server for that, and we had like a bunch of people log in and do transport and pirate hunting missions.

I remember reading that freelancer was a game made very quickly once Chris Roberts got the axe.

Maybe what Star Citizen needs is for Chris to get fired and for Microsoft to move in and gameify the mess the game is in.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
if that happens i hope they market it as Star Citizen: Now without Chris Roberts!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Turn Star Citizen into a mobile game.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

marumaru posted:

The version that Star Citizen wish to do, is Dynamic Server Meshing, which according to my friend, is beyond insane. It's actually never been done before, but has apparently, always been a theorised system. But no ones been enough of a 'madman' to do it. .... Let me break it down how he broke it down for me. ....

Pros: Only one calculation is needed speeding things up. This allows as many layers of servers needed. So if 50 people are in one spot, 50 servers can be 'spun up' so each person has their own server while occuping the same space, meaning ZERO latency and ZERO lag. Limit to FPS suddenly is only decided by how many servers you can 'spin up', and Amazon server farm is the largest server farm in the world... ergo, CIG can spin up as many as they need. Allowing them to run 5000+player battles by just spinning up 500 servers that now run like there's only 10 on each. Limit of the game becomes limited instead, less by server issues, and instead by the client. So how much can your GPU handle onscreen at once before your tower catches fire.

Cons: Zero. System is a theoretical perfect system. Only problem is that the concept of layering a server ontop of each other like this is a coding nightmare of beyond godly preportions which is the only reason no ones bothered to actually try it until now.

Every other game goes by the 'halfmeasure'. I beleive (though I might be wrong) that DU works on a system thats a gridded server system. Where one server can be broken down into many different grids of servers, which helps, but doesnt stop it from lagging when you have a lot of people in a singular tight space. I know eve using standard static, which is why they drop to 2fps during massive battles (they call this time dilation, its really just them controlling the lag).

But Chris Roberts doesnt do half measures... so of COURSE he'd go for the 'best' but 'hardest' way.

I'm not sure your friend understands what he may be trying to break down to you. :3:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Whatever can be salvaged is really besides the point. The point being: they kickstarted the game eons ago and promised pretty much anything to anyone. The only thing that keeps this house of jpg.‘s from falling apart is the perpetual development cycle. If the reason you pledged 6 years ago still isn’t nowhere to be seen, don’t worry! The game is in development, they’ll get there!

I feel like taking over the development of SC at this point would be kind of like taking over the rule of
Nazi Germany in May 1945. The writing’s on the wall, pal.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

I miss the old CIG

the new CIG is trying to be a real games company and its kinda funny but nothing will top 2016 thru 2018 for me

*wheels fall off the rover*

~oh nooooooooooooooooo~

This is true. I do also. There's less to laugh about these days besides the brokenness. But you can only find enjoyment in some guy randomly dying in a game for no reason funny for only so long.

I hope they start building out more new functionality pieces that fall apart.

Where's Santaball and the esports???

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

BigglesSWE posted:

Whatever can be salvaged is really besides the point. The point being: they kickstarted the game eons ago and promised pretty much anything to anyone. The only thing that keeps this house of jpg.‘s from falling apart is the perpetual development cycle. If the reason you pledged 6 years ago still isn’t nowhere to be seen, don’t worry! The game is in development, they’ll get there!

I feel like taking over the development of SC at this point would be kind of like taking over the rule of

Are you trying to tell me we're not going to get the giant ship with the farming and telescope modules they sold???

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Lol so much for the big NMS-style redemption arc...

I guess this this just reaffirms that Star Citizen is good? Chris will never walk away from a wildly unfinished game, no sir.

https://kotaku.com/bioware-says-it-...CosNGJyGLb5oeTI

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Shots fired

Double oof

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hizawk posted:

Freelancer was an absolutely fabulous game. I remember running my own dedicated server for that, and we had like a bunch of people log in and do transport and pirate hunting missions.

I remember reading that freelancer was a game made very quickly once Chris Roberts got the axe.

Maybe what Star Citizen needs is for Chris to get fired and for Microsoft to move in and gameify the mess the game is in.

“Quickly” is a bit of an overstatement. It took about three years to cobble together once he got tossed out the door, and I've seen no real reliable information on the state of what they actually took over and could build on. Considering that it was CRobber product, most likely very little, or at best very scattered with no clear connection.

Maybe there was a story and some grander-scheme universe (the simplistic storyline and racial stereotyping certainly fit his style), along with 97 iterations of a Kusari fighter… oh, and untold aeons of celebrity-actor voice work of course.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Blue On Blue posted:

Shots fired

Double oof

Summon Blobers I guess?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
found out today that cyberpunk did all their mocap at imaginarium too lol

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

What this game needs is Decrobblification.

TheAgent posted:

found out today that cyberpunk did all their mocap at imaginarium too lol

The Imaginarium is was cursed

L. Ron Hoover fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

They don't have much debt right?
So just bin all the crobler online persistent universe stuff and make a normal functional space game with the pile of assets and code.