Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the launcher works so well that we have a well-documented manual for fixing it when it doesnt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Please delete all the drivers for all your other videogames so you can wander around in Chris Roberts buggy piece of poo poo Alpha

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

smellmycheese posted:

Please delete all the drivers for all your other videogames so you can wander around in Chris Roberts buggy piece of poo poo Alpha

Pre-Alpha. Reaching Alpha would mean feature complete and just working on content

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
20GB of pagefile? My sits at 4.7 (I never set it myself). If your stupid game starts hitting pagefile you've done hosed up and there is no helping you I would think, but maybe I don't understand game developmnt

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/bgHDO9V.gifv

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

punishedkissinger posted:

the launcher works so well that we have a well-documented manual for fixing it when it doesnt

I lick my finger and turn another page. The paper slices another wound in my digit and I put it into my mouth and taste the familiar taste of blood.

It's nothing in comparison to the sacrifices and hard work that CIG have put into this game I think to myself. My injuries pale in comparison to the crunch that has squashed the developers to humble squat figures who toil for my pleasure. I turn another page and mar the paper with my life essence. I will play this game at maximum settings. I will immerse myself and deny myself all other games. I will dominate the galaxy, I will explore it and bend it to my knee.

If only I could thank Chris personally for giving me such a rewarding journey. I feel as if I am gently prising open a lock in Skyrim with my efforts to unlock the launcher's content, and give me access to the stars.

I curse myself of thinking of another game aside from Chris' magnum opus. Soon this failing will leave me. I will be immersed, and the angry banging on the walls that emanates from what I can only assume is my neighbour's jealousy of the game that I helped develop for the low price of $10,000 sounds out again. My neighbour drives a very expensive car which rouses from stillness every afternoon. It is red. I am sure he paid too much for that skin. The sound of the V8 engine firing into life reminds me of the first time I saw an Idris, I could hear the toil of the engines in my mind, so expertly crafted was the design concept. My neighbour has been duped by the car industry, the thrills he must experience as he doughnuts on my lawn must be cheap in comparison to my own enjoyment of Star Citizen.

Another page is turned, and I nod sagely as I read the words, "Buy a better graphics card." It couldn't hurt to invest in my own rig. I can't disappoint the vision that Chris has with inferior products. I can't let him down. Not when we're so close to changing gaming forever.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Pre-Alpha. Reaching Alpha would mean feature complete and just working on content

CIG is always working on contentment. To appease the fans they must weave a fine hessian bag to keep them hostage. Look, the texture is slightly easier on the face. Forget not that we place you in the dark for your own ease of experience.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

BitBasher posted:

gently caress no, are these poeple loving high?

Do you want me to link their trouble-shooting section again, where they advise the user to disable Windows' integrity and safety features?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Someone recommended the WeWork documentary earlier in thread. Was a great watch. Thanks friend!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Two FGs is how you know this person is good at lettered lists

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

thank you for this

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sample_text posted:

Star Citizen as experienced by non-backers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5P26EkKqHQ

Is this person giving the ma lot of credit by attributing a lot of the weirdness o their commitment to simulating obtuse things... is that really the case or is their poo poo just so hosed up and that's the premise behind some of their dumb ideas so it's assumed it's what's to blame?

He also keeps saying things look gorgeous or really good, but, idk, I'm seeing the video and it looks exactly like 3d videogames look these days and also ten years ago?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

1. Experience issue
2. Format drive where Star Citizen is on
3. Issue resolved

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Tippis posted:

Do you want me to link their trouble-shooting section again, where they advise the user to disable Windows' integrity and safety features?

You know I think I heard that before and I blocked it out from trauma. Those are all grounds for reasons we ban or eliminate software from bidding at work.

Must run with user rights only, no administrator rights.
Must nor alter any rights for any files and folders outside of it's program files install folder
Must install in Programs files (Either version)
Must noy edit the files: Services or Hosts (The SAP Rule)
Must have a program group in the start menu
Must not install a desktop shortcut
Must use an .msi installer that conforms to Microsoft best practices.
Must be able to install cleanly unattended.
Must uninstall cleanly with no leftovers and be able to uninstall unattended.
Must be able to patch cleanly and unattended if needed
Must not send traffic on nonstandard network ports (DNS over HTTP, unapproved FTP, Etc)
Must not use outdated libraries or dependencies (Silverlight, Flash, Outdated SQL, etc)

This installer and game itself is a garbage fire. I, until a few years ago, used to build installers, these guys are apocalyptically incompetent.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

thank you for this

Thank you for taking the time to offer gratitude. It sustains me

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

I didn't see anything about lighting the incense or chanting the proper liturgies.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

BitBasher posted:

This installer and game itself is a garbage fire. I, until a few years ago, used to build installers, these guys are apocalyptically incompetent.

That's unfair. An apocalypse is far more structured and leaves less of a mess behind.

Oh, and here you go — sweet dreams. https://support.robertsspaceindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002284834-Windows-Set-Folder-Permissions

Tippis fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 6, 2021

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Tippis posted:

That's unfair. An apocalypse is far more structured and leaves less of a mess behind.

LOL if you think this isn't going to. There will be suicides over this at some point. More than one.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

BitBasher posted:

LOL if you think this isn't going to. There will be suicides over this at some point. More than one.

Well, yes, that's my point: an apocalypse would be cleaner than what CI¬G produces. :D

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Mr.Tophat posted:

Thank you for taking the time to offer gratitude. It sustains me

Walrus poetry is best poetry

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

BitBasher posted:

We may never know. Who would let us know? Who would post in their absence? And where would they post?

Perhaps on reddit we might hear the accounts of those around Star Citizen cultists of their impassioned efforts to sustain a game doomed to fail, and how the end of the game was too much for them. I hope this does not come to pass. I hope that all those who have funded this game to a ridiculous degree can come to terms with how they have been taken advantage of and move on.

But you're probably right.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Thoatse posted:

Walrus poetry is best poetry

You're too kind. Thank you!

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Blackstone posted:

Out of curiosity - is there a summary of the promises made during the development of Freelancer? I keep hearing that it was advertised as having an independently developing universe, seamless landing on planets etc., until Microsoft cut out that nonsense, but I couldn't find anything specific from back in the days.

The 2001 trailer that's linked on MobyGames does remind me of Star Citizen, but I'd be interested if there's some BBS discussions from back then that has the same pipedreams as the SC forum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWr-yy7RCco

Wow, I didn't realize to what extent crobear's "vision" for freelancer is a carbon copy of store citizen.

You have the same lovely "cinematic" trailer with minimal actual gameplay. You got the whole second life space piece. The trailer also seems to suggest having both spaceship gameplay and TPS gameplay.

What you don't have are macro-transactions, and a social media/YT fueled scamming engine.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

"I'm having trouble getting this to work. Can someone please help?"

"It works fine for us, you fuckin whining plebe. Here's the annotated list of things you have to do:"

Sounds like a defensive megafan that has invested thousands of hours into something and can't fathom that a new user isn't familiar with the complex rituals that these players have integrated into their routines whenever they want to experience THE VERSE.

I was expecting that list to include "You will get a warning pop-up that reads 'Windows has protected your PC', just click More info and then the Run anyway button"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Khanstant posted:

Is this person giving the ma lot of credit by attributing a lot of the weirdness o their commitment to simulating obtuse things... is that really the case or is their poo poo just so hosed up and that's the premise behind some of their dumb ideas so it's assumed it's what's to blame?

He also keeps saying things look gorgeous or really good, but, idk, I'm seeing the video and it looks exactly like 3d videogames look these days and also ten years ago?

This is a podcast with the dude who wrote a three part whiny article about how Fallout 3 was a failure because there were no farms in the Capital Wasteland, adjust your expectations accordingly.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is a podcast with the dude who wrote a three part whiny article about how Fallout 3 was a failure because there were no farms in the Capital Wasteland, adjust your expectations accordingly.

the area design did kind of suck rear end in that game though. New Vegas presented a way more complete world.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

the area design did kind of suck rear end in that game though. New Vegas presented a way more complete world.

No argument there, but there's a difference between that and this dude's argument that the game was bad because there was no obvious farms where food came from in a game that barely had a food mechanic at all.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I think Fallout3 is about as pure a fan insert as possible for a devhouse. And as I once lived in the Bethesda/Rockville/DCMetro/NoVa area, it was a completely different experience looking through the lens of Fallout3's interpretation of that area of the East Coast, especially with the tactile-ness of being able to wander around where your old neighborhood is/was and recognizing the landmarking in relation to the landscape is fairly on point.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

New Vegas is the same way for us Vegas residents. Hell, it got me to go have lunch at the pioneer saloon in Goodsprings. Decent burger and the jukebox has fallout music. They learned into it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
tbf it is pretty weird how in Bethesda Fallout especially it's been multiple centuries since the war and in most cases there's been so little rebuilding to the point that people haven't even swept the 200 year old piles of debris out of their bedrooms

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

:reddit: Busy day in Microtech

https://v.redd.it/med6kzs2jp371/DASH_480.mp4

:reddit: NPC wanted to see the stars

https://v.redd.it/fkhcy0fbbq371/DASH_480.mp4

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zerilan posted:

tbf it is pretty weird how in Bethesda Fallout especially it's been multiple centuries since the war and in most cases there's been so little rebuilding to the point that people haven't even swept the 200 year old piles of debris out of their bedrooms

The story I've heard is that it was written to be way closer to the war (like within 20 years or something) but it got bumped up to 200 years later at the very end of development.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Bootcha posted:

I think Fallout3 is about as pure a fan insert as possible for a devhouse. And as I once lived in the Bethesda/Rockville/DCMetro/NoVa area, it was a completely different experience looking through the lens of Fallout3's interpretation of that area of the East Coast, especially with the tactile-ness of being able to wander around where your old neighborhood is/was and recognizing the landmarking in relation to the landscape is fairly on point.

Kingdom Come Deliverance is pretty good map wise

https://imgur.com/a/udmnN
http://english.edgeoftheworld.cz/2018/02/23/kingdom-come-deliverance-map-compare/

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

BitBasher posted:

You know I think I heard that before and I blocked it out from trauma. Those are all grounds for reasons we ban or eliminate software from bidding at work.

[...]

Fuckin preach. I've written my fair share of install packages for several operating systems, and their list of instructions horrifies me to the core.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The story I've heard is that it was written to be way closer to the war (like within 20 years or something) but it got bumped up to 200 years later at the very end of development.

That makes it make a lot more sense, un-swept trash aside. Game devs love huge numbers and long timelines and poo poo without actually thinking about how long that really is. 200 years before Fallout 3 was released people were just making their first bad attempts at putting internal combustion engines in vehicles.

To get back to SC. Watching the video playback on that diecast episode, and those cockpit designs are loving awful and obscure vision at the worst spots. They look downright suffocating compared to the views in half the E:D ships.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zerilan posted:

That makes it make a lot more sense, un-swept trash aside. Game devs love huge numbers and long timelines and poo poo without actually thinking about how long that really is. 200 years before Fallout 3 was released people were just making their first bad attempts at putting internal combustion engines in vehicles.

The reason was, supposedly, that the higher ups or someone wanted all the games to take place in linear order and since it was the third in the series, well...

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

This is what I am assuming Roberts "directing" SQ42 sounds like. It is very weird.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/632825568773275670/850917617383637002/Chris_Roberts_being_a_meme.mp3

I am not really sure what is going on.

Without victory there is no survival!

SOURCE: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/ntb73p/chris_roberts_as_a_director_for_s42/

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

skeletors_condom posted:

This is what I am assuming Roberts "directing" SQ42 sounds like. It is very weird.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/632825568773275670/850917617383637002/Chris_Roberts_being_a_meme.mp3

SOURCE: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/ntb73p/chris_roberts_as_a_director_for_s42/

Same thing would work for backers.

"You're pledging more and more... Making a lot of sense... Making a lot sense... New Idris sale!" *applause*

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

skeletors_condom posted:

At one point he says "there is no victory without survival". I mean, no poo poo. I really hope this all is some kind of joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Exclusive footage from inside CIG https://youtu.be/r8miwsWtzRw