Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Strangler 42 posted:

so is it safe to assume the investors hired smart people to do the due dilligence on the deal and there is no chance they were being mislead about the state of Star Citizen, Squadron 42, and Cloud Imperium as a whole?

As we all know, investors are intelligent and rational proportionate to the amount of money they have- and exceptionally good at evaluating risk, especially in areas where they have no expertise. This is why so many investment firms back sure-fire hits like WeWork, Tesla, and Enron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

skeletors_condom posted:

Although it's quiet possible that Calders are just loving around ("let's see if this works, if not I can still wipe my rear end with $100 dollar bills until the end of time").

The story of the last 20 years has basically been rich people with just piles of money lying around, going out and buying up anything and everything that might appreciate

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Sarsapariller posted:

As we all know, investors are intelligent and rational proportionate to the amount of money they have- and exceptionally good at evaluating risk, especially in areas where they have no expertise. This is why so many investment firms back sure-fire hits like WeWork, Tesla, and Enron.

Theranos and Fyre are the true success stories

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

yeah I have no idea how people still think billionaires are some kind of super geniuses because either they are a) born into tons of cash b) made some lucky deals akin to winning a shitload of money at roulette or c) both

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Was reading some server backend slides and this one made me lol and think of Star Citizen

quote:

1000 clients in a single room?
Probably no!

1000 clients distributed across many rooms?
Probably yes!

Have CR and his sus crew silently shifted the goalposts or are players still expecting 1000 player battles?

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 10, 2021

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/x7R26u1.gifv

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

As someone that recently ran into a deer we need to genetically engineer deer that are smart enough not to run out in front of cars when they panic.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

DOMDOM posted:

Deutschland uber alles

Truly a crime there is no archived recording of this

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-q5_UezjXo

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 10, 2021

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

peter gabriel posted:

In the full video of this, the totally live, real and emergent gameplay glitched and reset and ran again in exactly the same way :lol:
It was 100% pre canned.
Then poo poo canned.

Those were the glory days. We are all going to miss this shitshow when it ends.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This guy is beating Roberts at his own game

https://twitter.com/howieeday/status/1403046111179272193?s=20

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Virtual Captain posted:

Was reading some server backend slides and this one made me lol and think of Star Citizen

Have CR and his sus crew silently shifted the goalposts or are players still expecting 1000 player battles?

Also PlanetSide already did it

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

It just occurred to me that Crobbler's magnum opus Squadron 404 isn't even named correctly.
Military designation is DESIGNATION (i.e. number/letter) followed by GROUP (i.e. platoon, squadron, section, etc)

42 Squadron doesn't as cool or something I dunno.

Sorry.
I'm stuck doing online courses for work and today is military history and tradition. 197 interactive powerpoint slides. End me.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

It's been about two weeks so HEY IT'S TIME FOR A NEW SPACESHIP

https://v.redd.it/ies51w9prg471/DASH_720.mp4

Citizens are going bananas, CIG has really nailed their target audience

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And what highly specific purpose does this ship accomplish that could easily be replicated on a module for another ship?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Rotten Red Rod posted:

And what highly specific purpose does this ship accomplish that could easily be replicated on a module for another ship?

Carrying cargo, of course! And don't you dumb fuckin' nerds worry, we put a kitchen, bathroom, and a scratching wall in this one!

wtf

E: $225 which in star citizen terms is almost a normal price

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It has a built-in credit card reader.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I hope fermentation vessels come with alien kimchi

Perhaps backers will see second system once they begin selling access to new systems.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 10, 2021

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Virtual Captain posted:

Optimists might still imagine something like this:

A player association controls the U.S.S. Autism, a Bengal carrier with 100 human crew and a few hundred more NPC crew.

The ammunition magazine of the Autism, which is a self-contained server, has 3 players in it. They load a shell into an elevator leading to a turret. The shell disappears upon leaving the ammunition room's view. A message is sent to the turret 11 server that the ammo count is increased by 1. The turret 11 server pings the CIC that it has 12 total shells.

Meanwhile, Admiral Neckbearde in the Autism's CIC looks over the screens in his command chair and sees turret 11 has updated its ammo count to 12 shells. He radios an order to Gunner's Mate Aspergus in turret 11 to open fire on the enemy's ship Battlecruiser 3000.

Gunner's Mate Aspergus starts launching shells from his turret, which is its own server. The overarching server, which is a several-cubic-kilometer region of space that contains the Autism and its foe, responds by firing shots between the Autism and the Battlecruiser and keeping track of damage done at a macro level.

That's what I got from that quote. Is this an accurate way of describing what backers believe combat between capital ships will be like? Is this the scale at which their fabled server meshing is supposed to work?

EDIT: I'm reminded of an old Warcraft 3 multiplayer map I used to love. The top half of the map was space, in which a huge spaceship flew. The interior of the spaceship took up the bottom half of the map. By having their unit standing on a control point in the spaceship's bridge, a player could gain control of the spaceship unit on the top half and control it. If the spaceship was destroyed in the top half, a trigger set every room on the bottom half on fire, killing everyone inside.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 10, 2021

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

William Bear posted:

That's what I got from that quote. Is this an accurate way of describing what backers believe combat between capital ships will be like? Is this the scale at which their fabled server meshing is supposed to work?

That is certainly an aspect of the fantasy but you forgot the part that makes it exponentially more impossible which is where the shell hits the ship and penetrates through three servers' worth of decks before killing a crewman. Now the crewman inside the turret-server can somehow look out through the hole in the ship-server and see the unfolding battle-server raging in space beyond.

E: Your edit is basically how the ship in Warframe works

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sarsapariller posted:

Carrying cargo, of course! And don't you dumb fuckin' nerds worry, we put a kitchen, bathroom, and a scratching wall in this one!

:what:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Sarsapariller posted:

That is certainly an aspect of the fantasy but you forgot the part that makes it exponentially more impossible which is where the shell hits the ship and penetrates through three servers' worth of decks before killing a crewman. Now the crewman inside the turret-server can somehow look out through the hole in the ship-server and see the unfolding battle-server raging in space beyond.

Then the game/OS crashes as following the hull breach, the SSD filled up with <GasProducerConsumer> event logs, preventing the OS from writing/updating system files.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Sarsapariller posted:

'Ship, engage gimp configuration'

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sarsapariller posted:

we put a kitchen, bathroom, and a scratching wall in this one!

I cannot wait for Xi'an pooping tech

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Lammasu posted:

As someone that recently ran into a deer we need to genetically engineer deer that are smart enough not to run out in front of cars when they panic.

I'd settle for deer that were smart enough not to run into our cars.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I wonder why would they make ship that is intentded for human-alien crew. There are no playable aliens. There are no aliens.

It has two manned turrets, someone loves manned turrets.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
$200 seems like a steal, ordering myself one half decepticon so I can haul rocks from the mining planet to the planet where you sell rocks

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
I wake up to a terrible pain. I rub my jaw and feel a dull ache emanate from the right side of my natural hinge. Curious, I think, I only recently went to the dentist. He must have missed something. Probably all that small talk he was making with the assistant. Green eyes distracts some. Not me. I sat in that dentist chair, vulnerable to his scraping and prodding. All sharp implements to detect flaws. And so recently I had been told there was nothing wrong with my extending bones.

Still, I am left with a pain. I pour a cup of salt into another cup of water and swirl. I spit it out, and I see the red twinge of blood. The pain grows as I look at the basin so marked with hints that something is deeply wrong. I dry my mouth with a towel and consider my options. What might dull this malady?

I know just what to do.

I hop onto my computer, my hand still rubbing my mouth as the pain spreads. I look at the new funding tracker for the glorious Star Citizen. I see a new ship, I see how it articulates it's purpose and I grin. Another stab of pain as it spreads further across my face. I make a few well placed clicks to assume my role of captain of this fine vessel. Only $225. Bargain.

Everything is fine. Everything will work out. I lean back in my chair and try to forget the state of things. I open my jaw to yawn.

My monitor becomes sprayed with thick blood as my jaw unhinges and tears itself free from my skeleton and the image of the latest ship becomes shaded with my own redness. The pain overwhelming. I debate calling a doctor. But instead, I pledge for another vessel. I can't afford a doctor and Chris can't afford me not to back his dream.

As I recoil from my own ejection of liquids I have a piercing thought that makes me forget all that is wrong with me. I think that Chris must be let known how appealing a blood red skin for my new vessel would be. I reach for the mouse to make a forum post, and as I do, another spray of blood forces itself from me. I look up the ceiling and send blood flying from my gaping maw as I turn my gaze upwards to my ceiling fan. The blades whir and it begins to rain.

Fool that I am, I am certain Chris will give me everything I desire, there's no need to guide him. He knows what he's doing. He knows how to make us fans happy. A skin will come in due time I think as my jaw clatters to the ground and darkness steal me away from conscious thought.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

I have to give CIG credit, they are truly cutting edge at making stupid looking space ship JPGS. About 80% of the time their new designs leave me baffled, and this one goes above and beyond.

Seriously, why does it need to transform? What does it's transformation even do? Nothing about it makes sense.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Viscous Soda posted:

I have to give CIG credit, they are truly cutting edge at making stupid looking space ship JPGS. About 80% of the time their new designs leave me baffled, and this one goes above and beyond.

Seriously, why does it need to transform? What does it's transformation even do? Nothing about it makes sense.
it sells

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

It reminds me of that really dumb helmet with all the moving parts

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

quote:

I wasn't sure I wanted it until I learned of the SCRATCHING WALL to exfoliate flaking Xi'an skin.

I now want a module for my 890 to replace one of the steam rooms with a Xi'an scratching wall so I can haul Xi'an VIPs around the 'verse!

Scratch wall module: $60

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hmm… as far as I can tell, the main difference between that and a Chris creation is that that looks fun. And an actual neat update of an old idea. And also like a game.

Oh, and it works too — that's a pretty big one, I guess.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Viscous Soda posted:

You transform it into a kneeling gimp whenever the space ship has been a very bad boy, seems pretty obvious

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Viscous Soda posted:

The buttons upon my joystick must be made use of to it's fullest capacity. I have a few switches that are begging for me to activate during a critical moment of combat, turning my spaceship's bellybutton from and outie to an innie. I will be as a sausage roll within the excited fingers of a fat child, they shall press down and the meat shall protrude. I will dip and swing in space and activate the special mode that means that I shall collect my bounty. You will not deny me. This all makes sense to me.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

The final and ONLY word on Multiplayer in Star Citizen

Multiplayer Video Game:
A multiplayer video video game is where multiple players can play. A multiplayer video game is a video game in which more than one person can play in the same game environment at the same time.

Players don't have to be on the same ship, they don't have to do the same task, they can only just pass each other by, and guess what definition stands:

A multiplayer video video game is where multiple players can play. A multiplayer video game is a video game in which more than one person can play in the same game environment at the same time.

That's it. There is nothing else. It includes people who play in their solo ship, and maybe shoot another player, or see them at the station selling ore, or as they fly by them in their Cargo ship... or mine with them in the general vicinity. It includes people who are on a ship together or with NPCs, or doing something using two individual solo-ships.

You try to put anything else into this, you try to expand this definition or exclude one over the other, you are wrong, ignorant and should be ignored in any and every interaction you ever have, anywhere at anytime in any context.

Just the fact more than one player is in the game at the same time = Multiplayer game. Anything CIG does after that doesn't change it's multiplayer. People saying Multiplayer must force interaction are wrong, people who say multiplayer must force crew is wrong, people who say solo players cannot be solo are wrong.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Yuck, these "acksherly I think you'll find..." pedantic Citizen motherfuckers are worse than any other type of Citizen I think.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Sarsapariller posted:

ripped off from starwars: shadows of the empire for the n64, next

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
Tane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Ah yes, I remember now - HL2