Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Beet Wagon posted:

No, for both of them lol

Yeah I searched the subreddit for both out of curiosity and it’s a bunch of sad dorks asking how to buy them or fantasizing about placing their “homesteads” in barren environments

Apparently CIG did say, at some point, the science ship wouldn’t come out until after the whole game had launched

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lmao nobody can get in to play SC so the chat on Spectrum is all about Elite. GG Frontier

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The reddit app sucks so I can’t copy the comment but my favorite pioneer fantasy is definitely the idea of running a background check on a pioneer owner before paying for their services so they don’t sell your home’s location to a pirate afterwards

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Beet Wagon posted:

The fact that people apparently earnestly refer to their stupid spending-related forums titles as a "promotion" is a little chilling to be honest. Like, the more I think about it the more depressing it is.

at least the spaceships are cooler looking than the ones the Scientologists got sold.

I mean is this not all feeling a little "Battlefield Earth with John Travolta"

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

The funding numbers are so insane it has to be real.

Star citizen is just beyond my mortal comprehension apparently.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

But at least they are supporting their waifus! One of these days Jalter is going to notice me and be all mean to me!

Star citizen waifus are definitely third rate. Not only is the default a flat chested cretin, there doesn't seem to be any boobs or butt sliders so your girl is always going to look like a lithe athlete with a special kind of face and the haircut of a man.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

akkristor posted:

Backed with the $45.00 package back in 2013 for an Aurora LX

Gave my friend a $40.00 package as a gift when his 2nd child was born in 2013. He's 7 now.

Lost my damned mind in 2015 and purchased a jpg of the RSI Orion, because LTI! Never going to fly it. $325.00 i basically set on fire.

Guess I know who's buying all the Idiris up.

Thanks man. This is all your fault.

:3

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

akkristor posted:

Yeah, another friend bought the Merchantman i think around the same time. The idea was I was going to sit and mine and he'd haul the cargo back to sell.

Looking at the state the game is in right now... that's just never going to happen. Is there even a system to transfer cargo between ships in space?

The only functional system appears to be when you transfer money to Chris for the potential of having something to space mine exactly like you dream it and more (Amazing!!!) in the near but not too distant future, always.

Basically all of your dreams... just not yet, but soon.

Maybe 2 weeks. :sureboat:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

everything is super normal and nothing shady is going on at all

May 2020: $9,825,267 (current, 4~ days of funding left)
to put that in perspective, this month isn't over and its already been better than:
  • Anniversary Sale 2018: $9,172,592
  • Anniversary Sale 2017: $8,012,417
  • Anniversary Sale 2016: $6,738,501
  • Anniversary Sale 2015: $5,853,984
  • CitizenCon 2018: $4,660,591 (counting all of October)
  • CitizenCon 2017: $3,251,843 (counting all of October)
  • CitizenCon 2016: $5,215,403 (counting all of October)
  • CitizenCon 2015: $4,248,793 (counting all of October)

if the funding continues, this will be the best month/event for funding in star citizen history

during a pandemic, economic uncertainty, and several very problematic patches

This is just all the proof we need to know goons are not only wrong, but also dumb. Star Citizen is to big to fail!

I'm remortgaging my house for sixty more Idiris right now!

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

"All of the marketing is done by the fans virally" said the VP of marketing. That's why she had so much time for all those auditions!

Frog Act posted:

The reddit app sucks so I can’t copy the comment but my favorite pioneer fantasy is definitely the idea of running a background check on a pioneer owner before paying for their services so they don’t sell your home’s location to a pirate afterwards

It's doubly funny because last time I checked the names of other players don't show up (by design). So if someone sneaks onto your ship and shoots you in the head, you can't even get revenge or anything because you'd have no idea who it was... Yet they still dream that they'll be able to do a background check on another player.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

The Titanic posted:

This is just all the proof we need to know goons are not only wrong, but also dumb. Star Citizen is to big to fail!

I'm remortgaging my house for sixty more Idiris right now!

I hear the Kraken is even better! More expensive and more than 3 ships can land on it! Buy a Kraken today!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

The Endeavor was my favorite back when I actually would set foot in Spectrum. It was the ultimate dream machine, the backers could imagine it doing anything. Hospital ship, farming, R&D, drug manufacture, anything you could want it to do. Even a giant telescope for some reason.

And in nearly every thread where the ship was mentioned, some Mengele-rear end creep would pop in and wonder if he'd be able to kidnap players, enslave them, and do experiments/organ harvesting on them. The inevitable consequence of science I guess.

"To put fun ahead of shareholder profits"

(meaning our game won't result in either...)

The Endeavor was the epitome of all things modular and customizable.

Back in the day when your tiny origin 300 was not only your ship, but also your space House/camper, you were able to customize all aspects of ships.

The Endeavor has module sold for $100's, from space farming to telescope to "science", none of which were explained or obviously went anywhere.

Not long after that though, they came up with the sudden realization that people would pay top dollar for dedicated ships. So everything shifted from customizable shells where you were Han Solo of your dreams, to dedicated ships where you couldn't be a doctor unless you flew the medical doctor ship, or be a pirate without the special pirate ship, etc.

"Careers" slowly transformed into "you can be this job with this ship you buy".

Nobody even knows what these careers are. Every new ship punches above its weight and brings with it some new "class" or makes some older one obsolete. The difference between <$100 and >$500 appears to be you go from killed by space wind to virtually indestructible by other ships/players.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I hear the Kraken is even better! More expensive and more than 3 ships can land on it! Buy a Kraken today!

My credit card is ready! :homebrew:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

trucutru posted:

amazed Japanese TV hosts

completely forgot about this one

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

Star citizen waifus are definitely third rate. Not only is the default a flat chested cretin, there doesn't seem to be any boobs or butt sliders so your girl is always going to look like a lithe athlete with a special kind of face and the haircut of a man.

:wink:

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Gamasutra Press Release Courtesy of hired PR firm posted:

Star Citizen combines classic space sim gameplay with boundary-pushing visuals in a massively multiplayer setting with unprecedented fidelity. Live how you want to live: shift from cargo hauler to an outlaw, or an explorer or any other role, whenever you want. Play across multiple planets and moons, including vast cities and underground caverns, all created with a unique combination of procedural planet technology and complementary hand-crafted design.

For further information, including how to download and play Star Citizen, visit the official website. Millions of players from around the world have already joined to help CIG build the most ambitious game ever made. Enlist today and join this ever-expanding universe by visiting the game’s Welcome Hub and Guide System for tips on how to play. For continued updates, keep up with Star Citizen on Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Twitter and YouTube.

If you have any questions, please write us at StarCitizen@ONEPRStudio.com. Thank you for your time and talk to you soon!

Its CLEARLY an alpha guys, the game is OBVIOUSLY unreleased and raking CIG over the coals for any and all problems with their event, undelivered gameplay, or really anything is just mean, nasty FUD.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

But they done hair tech!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

The middle hair is the only half acceptable one.

Some day CIG will have long hair, maybe with physics to it.

But you are also missing the hideously flat chest.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Titanic posted:

The middle hair is the only half acceptable one.

Some day CIG will have long hair, maybe with physics to it.

But you are also missing the hideously flat chest.

It’s hilarious because similar to all of their other failures, they went on for years about how fidelitous their female character models were going to be, they even had nude MoCaping sessions with female actresses.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

It’s hilarious because similar to all of their other failures, they went on for years about how fidelitous their female character models were going to be, they even had nude MoCaping sessions with female actresses.

I recall. It all was a waste. :shrug:

Though I'm sure at the time it was nice and creepy.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

lmao they still haven't even started making that thing. I mean I bought a Merchantman around the same time so I can't really talk poo poo, but drat.

I'm still obsessed with the Redeemer, it went "On sale" for the first time in like 5 years yesterday and I was so tempted to spend 15 bucks upgrading my last remaining ship to it. I don't even know why, rationally- it isn't even on the roadmap, Chris obviously hates it, and the game sucks poo poo through a straw. But nerds and spaceships are a powerful and unpredictable force. I resisted, thankfully.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

I'm still obsessed with the Redeemer, it went "On sale" for the first time in like 5 years yesterday and I was so tempted to spend 15 bucks upgrading my last remaining ship to it. I don't even know why, rationally- it isn't even on the roadmap, Chris obviously hates it, and the game sucks poo poo through a straw. But nerds and spaceships are a powerful and unpredictable force. I resisted, thankfully.

I feel like I just saw new concept art for the redeemer come out, since they're essentially completely remaking it.

looks cool, shame they'll never make it buy more ships sarsa you know you want to

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

I am so, so, sorry...

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

I feel like I just saw new concept art for the redeemer come out, since they're essentially completely remaking it.

looks cool, shame they'll never make it buy more ships sarsa you know you want to

They redid the concept but it's still not even on the roadmap, but then, basically nothing is on the roadmap cuz they stopped fuckin' updating it

Luv 2 Buy pictures of ships that are 5+ years late and may take another 5 years to deliver with some or none of their promised features

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The most insidious way they "Get" you is the upgrade system. 250 dollars up front seems insane, and it is! But if you're already 230 bucks in, and you haven't thrown money at them in a year- what's twenty more to "Upgrade" to that thing you want?

(It's twenty bucks you're never getting back, is what it is)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

The most insidious way they "Get" you is the upgrade system. 250 dollars up front seems insane, and it is! But if you're already 230 bucks in, and you haven't thrown money at them in a year- what's twenty more to "Upgrade" to that thing you want?

(It's twenty bucks you're never getting back, is what it is)

The upgrade system is how I ended up giving them a loving thousand dollars. A couple of my purchases were big concept purchases (BMM, Retaliator) but the rest of it was weird little incremental upgrades as new ships became playable and junk. Even when I was on the downswing of trusting CIG I still managed to talk myself into melting some stuff and giving them "just a little more" to try the Starfarer (which had just come out) to see if like... it contained the fun I'd been searching for. It also doesn't help that their melt/upgrade/rebuy system was so insane and obtuse that it was basically impossible to understand for years.

Hell, to this day I still occasionally think about upgrading my mustang to something actually loving usable like an avenger.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I am so, so, sorry...

Who let Adz Adama in?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

trucutru posted:

Who let Adz Adama in?

1. I did say I was sorry.
2. He is a photoshop master compared to my meager skills.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

Honestly, I probably would have thrown a few hundred dollars at the game, if it wasn’t for the fact that I was a poor college student/recent grad during the peak Star Citizen hype years. By the time I had any real disposable income it was in the midst of the big 3.0 delay debacle/content drought of 2017 and it was becoming pretty clear that the game was never going to be finished. Then I stumbled on Sunk Cost Galaxy and this forum and plunged head first into the rabbit hole.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

Hell, to this day I still occasionally think about upgrading my mustang to something actually loving usable like an avenger.

I'm not even sure an avenger would do it. One of the big problems right now is how much the game has polarized everything based on the ship you own. The starter ships will get you into the box missions and serve as very basic "Getting around" transport and that's it.

For money, the meta seems to have moved to mining and bounty missions, which both require much more expensive ships. The whole thing about every ship being able to do combat is just a straight-up lie; NPC's are either entirely broken and die like fish in a barrel, or you're going to find 3 or 4 fighters shooting at you on any given mission. They don't scale them back at all, and the NPC's don't seem to have the desync issues when they're shooting at the player, so going to a combat mission in anything less than a heavy fighter is basically suicide.

There's also trading but you really need 200+ cargo to do effectively so like a Freelancer MAX or bigger. Below that and you're netting 2-3k for a 30 minute flight.

Other than that there's, uh, those "shoot the satellite" missions which I guess anyone with a gun could do, and the ground combat missions which anyone with a gun can do, and the NPC missions which are a weird mix of stuff.

Basically you need to spend a few hundred on a miner, a trader, and some kind of serious combat ship if you want to get at all the "Content" the game has right now. What a coincidence!

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

Basically you need to spend a few hundred on a miner, a trader, and some kind of serious combat ship if you want to get at all the "Content" the game has right now. What a coincidence!

citizen, do i have a deal for you:

would you like to know more?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

I'm not even sure an avenger would do it. One of the big problems right now is how much the game has polarized everything based on the ship you own. The starter ships will get you into the box missions and serve as very basic "Getting around" transport and that's it.

For money, the meta seems to have moved to mining and bounty missions, which both require much more expensive ships. The whole thing about every ship being able to do combat is just a straight-up lie; NPC's are either entirely broken and die like fish in a barrel, or you're going to find 3 or 4 fighters shooting at you on any given mission. They don't scale them back at all, and the NPC's don't seem to have the desync issues when they're shooting at the player, so going to a combat mission in anything less than a heavy fighter is basically suicide.

There's also trading but you really need 200+ cargo to do effectively so like a Freelancer MAX or bigger. Below that and you're netting 2-3k for a 30 minute flight.

Other than that there's, uh, those "shoot the satellite" missions which I guess anyone with a gun could do, and the ground combat missions which anyone with a gun can do, and the NPC missions which are a weird mix of stuff.

I mean, yes. If you want your gameplay to be worth a drat you need a bigger ship for sure. But I only log in very rarely to A) gently caress with people and B) make dumb videos. That's hampered somewhat by the fact that I literally can't get boxes into my ship, which cuts me off from a huge chunk of the 'gameplay.' Technically if I wanted to do cargo runs I think I can fit 4 units of cargo into the dumb little box on the back, but not having a ramp really fucks with your ability to do just about anything in this game. You definitely need to lay out real cash to have anything approaching 'fun' in this game, but I'd settle for 'is able to do all of these dumb loving box missions'

It's all academic anyway, I've thrown enough money away on this game as it is.

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

I'm sorry, I don't mean to hate on anyone's ship crush, but to me this is the most boring generic ArtStation resume portfolio filler that I've ever seen. To me it has no soul, no story, and the the design doesn't really look like it makes any kind of mechanical or engineering sense, even within the "laws" of the universe. But I understand design/art development even less than I understand game development. Maybe someone can help explain to me why I find this SC design unappealing while I find this...

... to be awesome? I've heard people say that the art/design department of CIG is there best department, but I don't really get it. None of their ships really stand out to me. None of them are like, "Man! I really want to fly that!". The Mole and Starfarer are alright I guess.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

I'm sorry, I don't mean to hate on anyone's ship crush, but to me this is the most boring generic ArtStation resume portfolio filler that I've ever seen. To me it has no soul, no story, and the the design doesn't really look like it makes any kind of mechanical or engineering sense, even within the "laws" of the universe. But I understand design/art development even less than I understand game development. Maybe someone can help explain to me why I find this SC design unappealing while I find this...

... to be awesome? I've heard people say that the art/design department of CIG is there best department, but I don't really get it. None of their ships really stand out to me. None of them are like, "Man! I really want to fly that!". The Mole and Starfarer are alright I guess.

Starfarer only looks cool from the outside, and even then only kinda. Inside it's an escher-esque maze of stairwells. It sucks lol. The Mole is the only ship they've made that really has an interesting look to it imo. The Retaliator looked cool as hell in the concept art but got turned into a real stinker.

The thing that's notable about the Redeemer is that it was - quite literally - designed by amateurs. It was the winning contestant in CIG's bizarre "The Next Great Starship" competition show they did a couple years ago. It won the competition based on fan voting, got put into the hangars, and then basically has been completely shelved for the last... six(?) years? It made one brief appearance in one of the teasers for Star Marine but other than that has been completely MIA. I think they even went so far as to remove it from peoples' hangars so you couldn't even walk around it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXYxnKtQhQU&t=13s

e: and you're not wrong in finding their ships extremely underwhelming. Each ship is essentially a kitbash of things the designers thought were cool from movies and other video games and poo poo, and they all come out looking completely uninspired. For a very long time they didn't even really have matching styles or design guides by manufacturer, until fairly recently when CIG decided to start reworking stuff (particularly the Origin ships) to make them more visually similar. That also resulted in them looking even more loving boring and samey though (again, particularly the Origin ships, which look like someone cut random pages out of an IKEA catalog and glued them all together).

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 28, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just remembered another thing I cannot find anymore.

Does anybody still have a copy of the video of Kung Fury beating all the old-school shills? I asked a few months ago without luck.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

Beet Wagon posted:

it's because halo beat them by at least a decade...

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

akkristor posted:

Backed with the $45.00 package back in 2013 for an Aurora LX

Gave my friend a $40.00 package as a gift when his 2nd child was born in 2013. He's 7 now.

Lost my damned mind in 2015 and purchased a jpg of the RSI Orion, because LTI! Never going to fly it. $325.00 i basically set on fire.

It's shady AF but maybe you could try selling it on the grey market?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

drat, I knew the Vanguard looked familiar

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Went looking for my epic rendering of the pledge, found this instead;

Simpler times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009