Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

The thing is, being able to walk around your ship is cool. It's the only part of Star Citizen that I still kinda go "Huh, neat" about when I log in, provided that I'm actually walking around a ship with room to walk around in (so not one I own) and that isn't designed by someone who has never seen a human body move (so, again, not one I own).

But it's cool and fun sort of in the same way that having Tauren and Human players not be able to understand each other in WoW is. It's a neat little bit of worldbuilding and that's pretty much it. It's something that a player should be able to do sometimes when they want, or specifically to augment the MMO side of things (how they've gone this far without delivering on the super simple fantasy of docking to your buddy's ship and going over for a cup of coffee or whatever is beyond me), but poo poo like hand-carrying boxes for hours absolutely should not be a required component of gameplay.

Maybe I'm missing what's novel about this. Plenty of games let you walk around your ship. In Subnautica it was practical and you could build or place stuff inside the ship you eventually built. Is it just the aspect of being in transit and still able to walk around ship?

Popete posted:

Can you imagine how annoying that poo poo would be in a space flight sim? You're in the middle of a pitched space battle, just about got that enemy fighter locked up. Oh damnit I'm hungry again, gotta get up and go cook a meal or my guy will literally die of starvation mid flight. The I gotta go take a dump in my ship bathroom cause that's also a thing.

Has any game ever managed a reasonable food system in a game? You always need to eat like a thousand times more than any human could eat just to get through an hour of gameplay. Even in games with truncated time, it doesn't seem to line up at all with human food/water needs. And most systems I recall you die when you run out of either meter, but IRL you can go hella long without eating. ON the extreme end, a dude went a year without eating food, just living off his own fat stores. Next time I play a game with a hunger system, I need them to include me sitting down to eat a meal and then leave me alone about eating for 6 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Like can you imagine if Blizzard put out a patch notes and it was like

"Hey uhhh we may have nerfed warriors? Can you guys go check?"

I mean, without being too glib, that's kind of what the Playable Test Servers are for. Except people definitely do check, and they check as hard as they can without blizzards backend Mystic Telemetrics Demon they serve. The funny part is they just ignore the feedback and just fudge some numbers here and there, like a ninja throwing down a smokescreen bomb.

Foo Diddley posted:

UnReal World does this. You only have to eat a few times a day, and it takes weeks to starve to death, just like irl (but going hungry will give you problems long before that). It even tracks hunger and nutrition seperately, so you can fill up on berries or whatever to stop being hungry but it won't keep you fed in the long term. It's the only game I'm aware of that tries to have a realistic food system

I've always wanted to play this. IS this the same game as like 10 years ago, it's got a really unique art style, like the map part is Ski-Free quality graphics but the UI and stuff had realistic photos at a lowish res. It's the perfect blend and kids used to play it in CS class in High School but I was in the Wesnoth Gang (and the make-your-won-graphics-instead-of-ever-play subcrew).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Fair, that's a magnitude more silly. Especially since in the context of WoW, the gestalt and holistic feel of the game resulting from balance changes gets a lot more complicated than you can just kind of sim out internally with number changes and a test.

Star Citizen isn't the kind of thing to release, but if it did, I'd wager it'd have quite a few colossal untested oversights. Like how ff7 shipped with one of the stats not actually working. I'm sorry, that's now just unfair for FF7, which both shipped and was great despite some goofs.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sabreseven posted:

It just annoys the hell out of me, maybe I'm from the old guard and showing my age, but any 'office' setting should look like an office setting, and not like a 'final year' leavers 'dress how you like' day at secondary school.

Office attire should be respectable, turning up to work dressed like you've just been binge watching Dragonballs Z, I find completely inappropriate. It's not about making the company more professional, it's about the workers having a degree of respect for their place of employment, in my industry if you dress like kids = welcome to the land of unemployment and no hope.

Imagine, if an IT pro turned up at your place of work dressed like a 5 year old, would he be laughed at or respected.

Sorry, but it really does anger me, enrages me even. :argh:

holy hell dude, how old-miserable are you? this is like 90s sitcom tier boomering

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I added "er" to boomer because it seemed like a verb

e: cat post-

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 4, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
to be fair, nobody really wants to live long enough to see SC released. even our grandkids should be dead by then.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Enchanted Hat posted:

Is this actually a real trailer from Frontier?

It looks so incredibly boring! Like, putting space legs in a game about flying spaceships already seems kind of pointless, but they could not have made a less interesting trailer if they tried. They couldn't at least have the spacemen running? Maybe a light jog?

You're saying that as if a game about flying spaceships wasn't also itself very boring. Space is loving boring and it's not like these space-sim type games are trying to make a fun experience, they're not making Star Fox.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

God help me, it almost sounds as if they're doing the on-foot thing right. Base building is a stupid, dumb, idiot mechanic for a game as big as Elite (or even as almost big as Star Citizen). In fact, free-roam exploration inside stations and poo poo is dumb too. People get mad when you say that, but Star Citizen shows the reality that you just straight up can't make all these places interesting enough to be worth spreading out your playerbase that much. Curtailing it to 'social hubs' is the way to go (preferably not within line of sight of a bunch of fake city assets like SC, but whatever)

Why is base-building dumb? It seems like the only thing that could possibly make any of these stupid loving space games worthwhile, otherwise it's the worlds most boring flight simulator featuring the void of space and the special effects cast of the intro to star trek voyager.

There's no way for a developer to populate even one entire system, let alone multiple and little hubs on planets are loving joke alone. Some generic base you fly to turn in a quest or some poo poo, what?

I know freaks who collect cars care about the garage they show em off in almost as much as the cars themselves, seems ludicrous to not have base-building as a core game touchstone from the start. A persistent world where you can make no persistent effect or mark in the world, no area to stake as your own, no incentive for anyone to ever visit, look at, or care about what you do in the game... that's just another hollow themepark MMO.

The biggest reason Elite and Star Citizen aren't very good or fun games is that the intended audience doesn't seem to want them to be fun or good anyway.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

How is this game's space combat worse than Star Fox 64s?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m00JVQFU5g

Check this poo poo out, it's a 23 year old game for an underpowered home console. You can actually fly around the screen and maneuver around stuff, you can shoot stuff and see it blow up, there's a bunch of different enemies and attacks coming your way. Already have ocean and land vehicles playable in-game too. They even get friends to talk to you like you're on a real space squad, the enemies try and taunt you at times too. They also tried this weird trick where they made the game fun moment-to-moment, as if they were trying to create some kind of enjoyable experience for the player.

On the other hand, Starfox 64 doesn't let you get out of your ship and have to spend 10 minutes walking around a desolate scifisteel warehouse before you get to do something, and there's no way to make insurance payments for your ships, so I guess it's a good thing someone's trying to address those critical flaws.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

I like base building and I'd like base building to be included in Elite for sure, but I think that in general the idea of "Player-generated content" is just a slower weirder way of saying "Multiplayer team deathmatch." Ultimately the only thing you're going to get from bases is people shooting at your base or using their base to shoot at you, and I mean- that can be fun but why not cut out the middleman of the MMO stuff and go play a dogfighting arena deathmatch game like Battlescape Infinity?

The most pervasive and consistently wrong fallacy of every sandbox MMO is "Leave your mark on the world." Games like EQ Next keep trying it and they keep discovering the same basic problem over and over. If you can alter the world in any kind of permanent fashion, a-la Minecraft, so can every other idiot. The world will be an uninhabitable hellscape of giant holes and dicks within a week. The only way it works is with expensive moderation, or with heavy restrictions. So every MMO that sets out to do it ends up with enormous restrictions and penalties that sap all the fun out. One station per system. Huge grinds for maintenance. Guard it 24/7 or lose it! The station can't meaningfully affect the culture or aesthetic of the system it's in, or even the NPC trade lanes. Nothing that could possibly upset the balance of power or grant the station holder a permanent advantage can be allowed. Et cetera, et cetera. It turns those stations into a big old' monument to somebody's dead free time, and that's about it. It's still a theme park, but now it's one where you can check out a single booth.

Star Wars Galaxies supposedly had this unicorn player-driven sandbox, but as time goes on, it feels more and more like an Atlantis story. It's very hard to argue against some of your rationale here for why player-driven MMO isn't an effort anyone wants to make but I don't know if my desire for every MMO including Minecraft-AnimalCrossing mechanics will ever be stopped.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It makes me mad to to imagine jerks coming to shoot up my beautiful space base, I would definitely settle on a planet where guns were not allowed.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I'm interested, but I'm not holding out a ton of hope. I imagine it'll be more arcade-y rather than sim-y. More NMS flight rather than Elite: Dangerous.

Say what you want about ED's grind and late game play- one thing they absolutely nailed was the spaceflight and landing/taking off. Give me that in a Star Wars universe and I'd be all over it. Or more Tie Fighter... that was a blast back in the day. First game I really got into.

i feel bad for victims of space-sims.

friends dont let friends play space-sims. please zazz, come home, we love you

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Inacio posted:

https://twitch.tv/cdprojektred

holy gently caress cdpr just completely btfo SC's "amazing" first person animations out of the water
jesus

heh, hella nice

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Popete posted:

9 years in and they can't even get their NPCs to not t-pose and we are being told they are working on ground breaking life like AI, lol.

Remember before Oblivion came out and they were like "our AI is going to be so good... actually it's TOO GOOD because we had NPCs murdering each other if they wanted to sweep while someone else had a broom"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

colonelwest posted:

The radiant AI in Oblivion was sort of cool for its time. NPCs would go about daily routines around the cities, so when you played the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests, you could follow them around and figure out the best time and place to kill/rob them. It all had the classic Bethesda bugs and clunkiness, but it worked from a gameplay perspective. I would like to see modern RPGs take that concept further.

The idea behind it as hyped was neat, but in-game it was basically idiot NPCs with a basic schedule mixed with sitting stupidly in chairs randomly. Majora's Mask did that daily schedule poo poo better years before Oblivion. I'm always down for more believable and liveable NPCs though.

SpitefulHammer posted:

I remember reading this in a games magazine a year or two before Oblivion released and getting completely hyped for the game, because I was young and stupid.

At least Oblivion's 'Radiant AI' sounds cooler than 'Bartender AI', even if it was just canned animations and a schedule.

Oblivion and Fable are the two all-time greatest gaming disappointments. It's always weird to encounter the stans for either of those games, but at least none of them ever actually have anything significantly positive to say about them, it's always just about the time and place in their lives when they played it. Plus a generation of folks whose first Elder Scrolls experience would've been Oblivion, so they really just didn't know what was missing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

dieselfruit posted:

Things that Fable did that were really cool:
-Your body would slowly change as you skilled up. If you were a swordman you'd get all muscley, if you focused ranged you'd get tall and wirey, if you used a lot of magic you'd get neat glowy tattoos.
-Unparalleled rotten food mechanics. You could really just chow down on flaccid carrots and off tofu all day.
-

It really cracked me up when Mass Effect 2 went full-blown Fable, making "renegade" options change your skin to have more fiery, glowing, evil cracks.

Supposedly MGSV also makes Snake's "horn" get bigger and gnarlier if you kill people, but I've never killed anyone in any MGS series*

*In MGS3 there was one soldier who I knocked out and drowned by accident, but it didn't count against me. In MGSV there's a mission to defeat a helicopter squad and AFAIK there's no non-lethal way to take down a chopper in those missions, but the game doesn't count it as a kill, presumably yet another feature lost by releasing a half-finished game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dynastocles posted:

Also why are people in the year 3000 are still making references to the 2008 Obama poster?

I'm Commander Shepard Fairey and this is the best graphic design on the citadel.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I love skeleton day and that Wishmaster Skeleton Persia clip was amazing. In the world we use to set our comics and poo poo in, one of our major races is Skeletons and they kind of hatch out of "humans" just like that. Often humans only have rights in this setting because it's too hard to tell a larval skeleton from a regular human.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

This reads like a passive-aggressive 2007 facebook post of someone making a "general" complaint but everyone knows who they're specifically talking poo poo about.

I hate people while either their job is vetting candidates for hiring, or they temporarily assume that role either temporarily or just periodically for specific things. When you become in charge of the applications review, you get certain brainworms.

The most common symptom is the resume-gatekeeper feels the urge to give "general advice" on resumes, which is actually just specific advice pertaining to the eldritch desires of the hirer. The worst people to ask advice about applications and resumes are people whose job it is to read and accept/deny applications and resumes. I think even if you tried to cheat the system, by finding out who will read your resume, and then carefully tailor to that person, it would either be a matter of that person not really knowing what they want to see or more likely -- up to the state of their body at the time of seeing the resume. Personal judgement is about 60-100% a matter of how hungry or not you are at any given moment.

I've been in charge of hiring before and didn't get the brainworms to tweet my applicant demands, but yikes, there are a whole lot of very human feelings and thoughts you get while having that kind of casual power over basically anonymous strangers. I also remember one time being in the hiring position and there was a trend of people attaching "headshots" or profile pictures with their resumes. It's a wonder anyone ever gets a job without already knowing someone at the company.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
what are they bragging about? getting a couple NPCs to sell them useless vendor trash lol

Star Citizens must get their minds blown when they play literally any other videogame and can just talk to NPCs in the world and buy/sell stuff from them. they find a mushroom house in SMB3 and are blown away by the AI and this immersive system of choosing an item from a chest.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

phosdex posted:

I like that the $1 I spent for a year of Xbox game pass will let me play this.

you got a year? I only got 3 months and that ended months ago

edit: lol that there's a function to wipe your visor in bad weather, not automatic, either use the shift+key shortcut or go to a seperate menu to access visor wiping.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dynastocles posted:

I gotta hand it to em, no other game company would have gone to the trouble of designing and rendering an in-game stuffed animal penguin before completing the flight model, game mechanics, glaring bugs, etc.

if you ever read the full uncensored bible, you'd remember how God created the universe in seven days, but first he spent a few thousand years really nailing down the fidelity of Stockoceros spleens before getting to work on the heavens or earth or any of that poo poo.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
oh my god watching the red master chief take that full beer and just throw it back completely horizontally immediately haahahahaha

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Playing Death Stranding last night, aside from how cinematic and how cool their use of camera panning and music made a literal fetch-quest tutorial feel like the introduction to some oscar bait movie, but mechanically the game itself (so far) is kind of like taking a really firm first step towards creating a large world. Like, if Kojima wanted to make a Star Citizen scale type thing, this would be the first step in making a fully working prototype for ground movement. High fidelity, the motion capture reacts dynamically and believable to arbitrary terrain, there's a working physics system for balance and world objects, eventually there are working vehicles that react to the ground without falling through it.

Whatever his next game or step is, he has an effective base for ground-based movement so next game they can focus on something else.

Also just visually, even MGSV already exceeded the fidelity Star Citizen appears to have right now. When the SC kickstarter was announced, the game was supposed to be so high end it would be unrealistic for most gaming PCs to even run it. Now it still doesn't run great but also it looks outdated.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

monkeytek posted:

What? You don't use a pistol magazine to eat your MRE by shoving it in your eye?

ive never seen an MRA you just open and start munching out of lol. it's usually 15 other packages and at some point you need to lean it up against a rock or something

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

These goofy quotes had me look up footage to see for myself and I found this unintentionally hilarious video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCDID8wFtLM

I love how much of his advice is delivered like normal game advice, but it's basically just formalized "don't go to this buggy piece of poo poo area that won't work"

This mining gaming loop seems like worst part of minecraft combined with the worst parts of "drug wars" for palm pilot, with a dash of the annoying shuffle you do in RPGs and open world games when your inventory is limited.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Titanic posted:

Though scale in a 3d game is kind of irrelevant because you can make anything be big or small. That model could be the size of a moon, or it could fit in your pocket. Doesn't matter. But it looks good.

Is it irrelevant? Especially in a game where one of the big things is supposed to be seamlessness between planets/space/interiors, I would think scale of things would become important.

I know most 3D modeling tutorials I've seen advocate making a habit of making objects to scale for quite a few reasons.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Titanic posted:

Depends on the architecture behind it. For a whole planet, yes, absolutely.

But for one model, not really. Unless you make it so big the engine starts phasing it in and out because it's not sure if a plane is supposed to be rendered or not.

Also LOD could be fun on it because it's probably just one single object, so you'd need to figure out how to make it not crap if it was super high detail and super big.

That gun though does not seem extraordinary in any way though, so it's scale is it really important other than it's a variable. It could just be a scaled up version of the same things on a small ship. Doesn't matter technologically there I don't think.

But I've been wrong lots so maybe it's a huge accomplishment for CIG and gaming as a whole, and I'm being a negative Nancy and need to shut up and admire it. :sureboat:

Ohhh, right, I see what you're saying. Something that big could be impressive to build because of the massiveness of it but modeling wise it's just the same polygons with bigger math of "scifi space ship gribble #23425457."

I honestly catch myself kind of falling for this trick for videogame statues sometimes. when it's just taking existing character models and scaling it up and replacing the textures with a stone/metal material. i think dragon age inquisition had one of its single player mmo maps with these massive mountain-sized dogs making this massive scale earth monument no civilization could or would ever build. Outside of wow, which by default overscales it's buildings to a certain signature play-skool chunkiness, I think that's the furthest I've seen the ol' scale-up

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
is this game even going to have airships or just a bunch of failed pitches to Air Force Shark Tank?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

So is that really all there is to a space-sim? Like, even if all of those things were in-game and fleshed out to their fullest vision... it sounds extremely underwhelming? Kind of like Space Road Trucker or some poo poo. What's point of making an explorable universe if all you can do in it is drive around, mine, and play cops n robbers?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

Remember when World of Warcraft came out, and all it had was Stormwind with all the vendors and trainers and a front lawn where you could grind spiders for 600 hours? And then they expanded the world and added more content by making four more capital cities all centered around the front lawn, all with identical vendors and trainers?

They're just following the standard MMO formula: 5 or 6 major hubs with the same services per each individual questing area :downs:

What??Are you talking about like in pre-open beta or something? Don't remember spiders and mobs stop giving XP after you get to a certain level above them. Each capital city was also pretty different. Stormwind did have pretty obvious and accessible vendors, but Ironforge was a big fiery rear end in a top hat layout where you might complete entire revolutions just looking for one motherfucking tiny vendor next to a single stairstep, built for his race by his race, inexplicably bigger than his body. The stupid tree the Night Elves had as a city was its own mess of inconveniently placed NPCs with horrible vertical map information, plus you often needed to use the elves gnarled infrastructure instead of beelining straight for any given location.

Horde had Orgrimmar, which kind of dragged the useful vendors and spots across these rocky canyons like a dog scooting its rear end on carpet. Undercity was basically Ironforge, but hard to get into, harder to leave, and infinitely easier to get lost or disoriented in. Vendors were not located in convenient places and would ping-pong you harder than IF. Thunder Bluff was a hilarious joke, everything spread across hard to access little spots of various elevation with annoying elevators or long skinny bridges to get between them.

Furthermore when WoW came out, one problem/feature-of-design was that each city wasn't equal. Very often you'd need to find a way to another of your faction's cities, just to pick up some new skill, recipe, item, quest, whatever. You'd spend an hour schlepping over to some rear end in a top hat elf tree then half to walk back because they arbitrarily decided only X city has Y thing. Sometimes it made sense and helps build the world up, if you want to ride a catm gotta go to the elf tree where they train and raise rideable cats. Makes sense, Dwarves in Ironforge raising crazy elf tree cats doesn't make sense. Other time it's just a timesink hassle, in a game already loaded with too many. Walking through Mordor and back b/c lol only this one guy knows the secret of stabbing eyeballs level 4

WoW was a game that had a transportation system that worked too, it was just slow as heck and not very good. Star Citizen doesn't even have that... so you'd definitely want each city area to have all the standard poo poo you'd need. You really wanna do the rigamarole of flying to some faraway place in SC because you forgot only their one buggy bartender of fartstation-5 has the allumisteel panel you failed to nab last time there?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

it... it was a joke analogy. WoW was obviously never like that, the joke was that CIG is stupid to have 5 giant resource-intensive capital cities and one questing area and that's it for the game

my bad, WoW sucks in a lot of ways and i totally misread it as a bizarro world wow instead of applying the joke logic to another game as it seems obvious after i used it to diarrhea wow opinions unasked

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

* 3 of the 5 nameable ships are luxury yachts and a salvage boat that doesn't do anything, the others are a combat ship that needs 6 players manning turrets to be useable and a medium size ship that eats so much gas nobody can afford to fly it, :lol:

* Of course they want to charge money for it.

Can these ships requiring multiple people even work?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
will derek smart be a banned ship name or just highly in demand?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bumble He posted:

why do they ignore inventions like pallets/pallet jacks/forklifts which are the backbone of modern logistics

dude they just now got a pushcart working, tf you think they can figure out how to code a forklift?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Beexoffel posted:

Has this been posted yet?

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey | The Road to Odyssey - PRE ALPHA: Mission Playthrough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqZWTMENCG8

It's kind of weird how even at their best scripting and being generous in assuming the intended gameplay here, it doesn't seem very compelling. They... unlocked a door, kill a couple npcs, grabbed a thingy, then left. They did a good job acting out the intended tension here, but Cyberpunk has plenty of generic missions like this and doing that basic thing + spaceship isn't really as exciting as they wanted it to seem. Also did that drone thing shooting at the soldiers totally ignore the ship? Weird it would shoot at the dudes but not their getaway craft.

Star Citizen doesn't even have a fraction of this underwhelming trailer, but the best case scenario for either game seems to be a really mediocre boring videogame meant to primarily appeal to people who have been feverishly fantasizing about looking at the windows Starfield screensaver, but with cockpit graphics around it for two decades.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's outrageous that I can't join the lawsuit because I never bought into the game. I've been playing it for approaching a decade now, making posts, reading fails, watching disaster clips, arguing with citizens on reddit, etc. Just because I'm free2play excludes me... feels like that needs its own lawsuit. I thought by this many years in I'd be trolling players for their janky beta or release game!!!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's not lying if we genuinely hope it's true!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
citizens need the fidelity of controlling the guy inside a train car inside actual train pulled along the world to its destination. I'm just fine with the train just being an NPCs head and I click it to teleport to my destination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the joke is citizens would actually pay good money for invisible ship