Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
For a game getting ready to enter alpha/beta in 2020 you'd think they'd have more to show.

Is 2020 the year that finally ends this charade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Been away from the SC drama for awhile after getting burned out when this thread was moving a mile a minute and quarantined to its own sub.

Nice to get caught up. The SQ54 end of year teaser was amazing. It gives me hope that this is the year the project finally implodes, though I feel like it'll probably slowly fizzle and fade rather than supernova.

I saw some people talking about Sandi being gone. Where did she go??

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
how does ED combat compare to SC?

I played ED briefly, like enough to manually land the ship and fly around some points, but I only battled once or twice and can't remember poo poo

I did play IL2: Sturmovik for awhile. Please compare it to that instead.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Borderlands 3 is abject trash and nobody should play it.

Also gently caress Randy Pitchford.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
How's that Squadron 42 update video coming?

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Anyone read through the SQ42 update email they blasted out about an hour ago?

Seems like a lot of technobabble and for some reason they talk a lot about bartender AI which confused me like, why aren't NPC actions just heavily scripted in a single player game. Why do we need dynamic AI.

Also:

quote:

Last month, Narrative continued to support Design by providing notes and feedback during playthrough sessions. They also undertook dedicated playthroughs to identify where new dialogue lines could provide clearer guidance and explanation. This month, scripts will be created and the lines will be recorded using placeholder actors to get them in-game as soon as possible. By minimizing the turnaround time, future pickup sessions with actors will be much more efficient.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
What happens if they can't get the original actors to do the lines?

I don't know how these things work. Is there some contractual obligation to phone in re-shot lines 5 years after you recorded?

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pixelate posted:

The bartender is the root of all their subsumption AI, the fulcrum upon which worlds will be balanced, the font of all emergent realism. And a purveyor of perpendicular liquor.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
That video is so good.

And so begins the great scaling down to realistic expectations.

There's going to be a lot of tears.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Last King posted:

if you need a really good space sim fix (and aren't put off by 2d), you should check out star sector (https://fractalsoftworks.com/) for real.

great game, actually a small indie team(!), and an active community with lots of mods. i've wasted prolly 100+ hours in it alone.
Posting from the past to say I was introduced to this game last week (thanks forums) and it is loving awesome.

Seriously. Check it out.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Remember when the big end of year SQ86 reveal was just a parade of art assets spinning in a glorified model viewer?

I need to see this game.

RELEASE THE VIDEO COWARDS

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Quavers posted:

:reddit: Time to take a longer break

:words:

330+ comments arguing about :trustme:&:sandance: salaries, roadmaps, Sq42, delays, sales and CIG's communication :tif:

quote:

Yes yes and yes.

You are so right.

As a German with some international business experiences I can say that US business culture is full of annoying Marketing slang which at the ends does not offer any real information.

CIG has mastered this „art“ of bullshit marketing and communication.

It is ridiculous and so much disconnected from the real needs of the backers.

For me the infamous example is the canceled NPC demo on an Idris some years ago when they even produced a "behind the scenes“-documentary how close they were to finish this demo and at the end needed only few hours to finish it wasn’t enough time to present it in the show. CR promised to bring it as a video ... which never happened. So much effort to suggest that they were really close and at the end it turns out this was a lie - for what reason ever. And years later the NPC still stand around on their seats in Area18.

I love this project but the communication of CIG is pathetic and does not build up any trust at all.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sillybones posted:

I bought the game package but it didn't come with a ship. I've looked into it and I think the Nautilus is pretty cool. It says it costs 725, but I can't work out how those credits convert into dollars. Is it like 100 credits per USD?

Is there a goon guild for the game going? I didn't see a thread in the MMO subforum.

I am sorry for your loss.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kosumo posted:

*Spend all night writing a 16 page rebuttal to Derek Smart defending your 'not-wife, wife, now ex-wife'.
I think this is still my favorite Star Citizen moment.

Hard to believe it was 5 loving years ago.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
So about the SQ42 video they keep hoping we all forgot about...

It is never coming out, is it?

:(

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
I can't tell if that is serious or not.

Help

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thread gets bad when the content well dries up.

Let's hope they open them spigots soon.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Well, hopefully he gives up the forums and fucks off.

The Star Citizen threads here have provided me endless amounts of joy. I mean I like the other stuff too, but these SC threads, and the now defunct subforum, have really captivated me.

Thank you for your service commandos

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Isn't the jump over a bit premature?

I mean at least wait until Lowtax closes the forums and replaces this with some idiotic landing page about how he's the real victim.

...but maybe, just maybe, his heart will grow a few sizes bigger and he'll agree to hand over control...

(see you on B&R, probably)

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
SQ42 video is now 41 days overdue.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sandweed posted:

I'm hoping for this to but everything points to it being just so incredibly mediocre nobody is going to bother.

Between crobbers writing and sandi's acting, i think there will be some laughs. Might need the rifftrax treatment or a red letter media review, though.

Edit - are we really gonna get thru page 911 without the infamous gif?

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Squadron 42 Update

Lot of words.

quote:

The first iteration of the vendor behavior is also nearing completion. June saw the addition of patrons that can order a drink, bring it to a table, and then return it to the counter.

quote:

They also began leveraging the usable system functionalities of the bartender in a combat scenario. In the social environment, they created the concept of usables that can produce and accept items:

“An ammo box is nothing else than an item provider. The item itself could produce magazines or it might have magazines attached, similar to how a beer fridge can contain beer bottles, but a mixing station can create the drinks from specific source items. This allows NPCs to search for places in the world that can provide them with magazines of a specific type, relocate to those objects, and refill their loadout. This gives opportunity for the player and forces NPCs to evaluate the environment to decide if and when it’s appropriate to use those refill spots.”

quote:

Improvements were made to the debug draw of the Subsumption logic, allowing Subsumption functions, use channels, and conversations to display the updated value of their local variables.

quote:

The Character Team continued to work on hair, with blonde hair making progress.

quote:

“Our Vanduul base body needed to be tweaked and reskinned so that we could achieve higher fidelity animations. We’re wrapping the pass up this week and making an update pass on all Vanduul armors.” -The Character Team

quote:

This included further improvements to conversations with NPCs. For conversations, markup tech enables them to be interruptible at various chosen points. Last month, they added the capability to markup acknowledgments. This means they can choose the points where two NPCs would glance over to the player if they’re in the vicinity. The goal is to maintain the integrity of scenes and mo-cap as much as possible, so instead of an immediate “robotic” glance whenever a certain distance is reached, the designers created a way to choose variables and mark-up the scene intelligently. Not all conversations between NPCs warrant immediate attention from the player; sometimes they’re in deep discussion and rarely glance over to the player. The designers can dial this in with absolute precision, choosing the percentage of eyes, head, neck, and body independently if they want to.

quote:

Gameplay Story continued to support Design with abandons and interrupts, this time on chapter four, and worked through new scenes from later in the game. Current focus is on implementing the remaining 28 scenes, which involves planning with Design, working out how scenes will function, and breaking down animation requirements.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
The way these notes read they are spending a tremendous amount of time and effort trying to nail the "interactive movie" feel at the expense of actual gameplay.

It's not even VR. Why are they wasting years on trying to perfect cutscene technology?

I mean we already know why, but clearly this is the big impediment. CR's obsession with remaking Wing Commander: The Movie (they won't laugh at me this time) has doomed this entire project from the start.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
schadenfreude overload, truly the best Christmas present

quote:

I find it amazing that after several "Dont do this CIG, its going to be a loving car crash" threads on Spectrum, that CIG make the decision to pull it because it looks like its going to be a car crash.

Here is an amazing idea, this is twice in the same week that the backers have known whats best to do with this game how about actually listening to them in the first place and not wasting your time and our money on stuff we can tell you weeks and months out that is not going to work.

quote:

When they're doing it this often, with the same results every single time, I have to believe it's not longer an accident, but just plain dishonest marketing to sucker more people into buying their stuff.

quote:

It would be a good idea not to send press releases about something you haven't fully tested yet, which in case of the current game state means - half a quarter and a couple hotfixes have been made.

And that's not just an egg on marketing department face - you have invited new players to the game with this event and then didn't deliver what you've publicly announced, hoping that people will read some forum announcement about it. That's an egg for the entire game and it can't take any more lumps

quote:

Sorry Zyloh, but I disagree with you on this one. Stop marketing stuff you can't deliver on time. We, old backers are tired of this.

quote:

right. they just give us poo poo performance and bad server+no event

quote:

I love you Zyloh but "choose whats best for the game" and put in only the half of the Idris cuz of SpOiLeRs is not the best imho. It looks ugly AF and you can see through the ship everywhere cuz half of the stuff is missing. You don't want to push out unfinished stuff but put THIS Idris into the PU. I would rather do without the Idris instead of an ugly buggy Idris... Just my opinion.

quote:

then pls remove this ugly and buggy half ingame Idris, thanks

quote:

a) i am happy they are iterating / polishing

b) remember that time they were gonna release theaters of war right after the new year. those were good times.

Edit: I think they need to stop fundraising and build the core loving tech. They are nowhere near ready and this is just more fuel on the mistrust fire. If they flop this I can only pray people gonna stop giving them oogles of cash. Otherwise you might as well call it the religion of Chris. The more he fails the more you give.

quote:

This game as a whole has been in development for 8 (9?) years and there's barely anything to show for it. They genuinely don't seem to be able to actually create anything, there's a serious and persistent failure of management somewhere

For example: where on earth is the sq42 roadmap? What have the sq42 team actually concretely produced that isn't a trailer?

Everything is effectively infinitely delayed at this point

quote:

Remember 2016?

quote:

I expect this is going to be delayed for a loooong time like theaters of war. And 3.0. And star marine. And sq42. And everything else cig does.

quote:

And one day, it will simply be gone. Never released, but no one is asking about it anymore and they quietly took it off whatever excuse for a roadmap they have by then.

Star Citizen: And one day, it will simply be gone

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Squadron update is out.

quote:

Social AI worked on the usables required to implement a full cycle of the NPC chowline mentioned in the last SQ42 report. This process includes NPCs collecting crockery, dispensing food and drink, picking up cutlery, carrying food to a seat, sitting down, eating, drinking (with the levels of food and drink decreasing), and clearing up. This builds on existing usable work but uses features in ways that haven’t been done before, where the state of a previous usable is necessary for the next one. For example, NPCs can’t dispense food unless they have a bowl and can’t eat food unless they have picked up the cutlery to eat it with.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://mailchi.mp/cloudimperiumgames/squadron-42-update-143632?e=f8228fdf6f

They sound really close to being ready for beta.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
They still can't get their janky rear end Morrow tour to not look like rear end. Lots of mentions in the update about putting significant time into it.

When was the last time we had gameplay footage? 2018?

Not counting last years new year's surprise of spinning art assets in their model viewers.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah I mean it's all smoke and mirrors. I think the real stopper is the fact that all the space ship stuff runs like dogshit and they don't know how to fix it. Because it is likely impossible in that engine.

I just skimmed through the 2018 gameplay trailer and the interior stuff wasn't bad though framerates dipped a lot... but once they hit space it quickly becomes a slideshow when anything starts happening.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
SQ52 cliffnotes

-implemented AI potty and wash mechanics
-AI engineers now walk around ship and pretend to fix wall panel and change imaginary fuses
-added some stuff so they can debug AI (early days still, remember)
-worked on basic animations that should have been done 3 years ago
-added some new weapons because early days
-created and refactored cinematic pipeline
-did some new mocap
-refactored a lady's hair
-current cinematic team milestone: noodle bar scene where we eat noodles
-feature team added ability for cinematic team to shoot missiles
-QA gets the shortest blurb (surely this is a good sign) which talks exclusively about supporting cinematic team (I'm sure there's nothing else that needs testing)
-UI making a new star chart

quote:

The current milestone features a scene around a table at a noodle bar, which has challenges very different from animating kilometer-long nav-splines. For example, a character eating noodles with chopsticks means the team have to animate fingers, sticks, a box, and noodles (and possibly film themselves eating on their lunch break for reference). The scene’s state machine must be considered too, with animation idles and fragments in mind. They must also cater for players arriving at varying times due to potential side activities on the way to the scene.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Isn't Morrow the name of the ship?

Somehow they've managed to to spend 5+ years and still not have it finished. Because instead of canned scripting, they are trying to implement full on dynamic AI. Look at all the time they wasted in Shart Citizer on the Bartender and how it turned out.

Complete lack of management. They need to bring in the Bobs and do some restructuring if any of this is ever going to see the light of day. With the Calders involved, maybe that's already started happening behind the scenes?

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
oh no

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

ronmcd posted:

I still don't get Theatres of War. Was it not supposed to be a sort of throwaway test bed to help improve the PU? But now it's sounding like an actual product, Firesprite called it the "forthcoming Star Citizen multiplayer mode, “Theaters of War” (working title)".
Yeah it really sounds like they are going to try to spin this off and release it. Probably because SQ404 is tracking for 2023 and the PU is just waiting for someone to fess up that it's all *dreams.txt* and will never see a real release.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
"this will not impact your game access at this time"

After all these years together, it feels bad to see it go down like this.

Cheers Lethality, I salute you.

o7

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

Any workarounds to keep the Prospector from killing me every day?

Hey guys,

The bug that happens at the top of the ladder area in the Prospector is killing my avatar often. It mostly happens when trying to exit. After opening the door to exit the ship something about the ladder animation kills my character, even if I step back away from the door area.

The problem is a bit frustrating when I have a full load of quantanium that I'm on my way to refine. When the ship kills me as I try to get out, the ship is instantly stored which turns the quantanium into inert materials, which means I lose about 30 min of work and around $350,000.

Does anyone have any methods for exiting the ship so that it doesn't kill you?

Thanks in advance if you have any suggestions.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

Yesterday at 6:48 pm

It’s been more than 6 years and we dont have like any feature of the game finalised. Just see more and more new scope creep everywhere, devs leaving and new studios coming in. I never backed this kind of development or at least didnt even backed for having this feature. [This post has been edited by Moderation and the user has been PMd]

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
A citizen dares to ask what SC will look like in 2025

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/in-what-state-will-star-citizen-be-in-2025

SynthWave-CIG posted:

Hey everyone,

Considering this discussion may be meant as a bit of lighthearted fun, we'd encourage that dire predictions and hyperbolic rhetoric are avoided going forward. Thanks in advance.

Nightrider-CIG posted:

Hello,

We would have preferred this discussion progressed in a more healthy direction; however, as this has continued in the same tone, with the observed defamatory rhetoric toward development, that will do it for this one

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Gravity_Storm posted:

I love E:D but you need to be in the mood for it. Its slow paced, peaceful, sometimes monotonous, progress happens over time.

I had a rough time about 2 years ago and ended up using E:D basically like meditation - did the trip to Beagle Point / Salome's Reach via Colonia and Sag A over a few months of evenings while listening to relaxing music and it actually really helped chill me out.

I totally get why people say its boring or grindy though, it can be, but then on the flip side its not really got any 'end game' to grind for, all of the goals are ones you set yourself. some people just like driving their moon buggy, some want to mine diamonds, some want to hunt pirates... there are very little rewards for doing any of that, other than doing it.

I'm actually hoping that Odyssey changes this a bit and introduces some new gameplay elements to spice it up. I like exploring, so i'm hoping there's a reason to head out across the galaxy yet again.

I was basically going to post this. Thank you.