Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

jesus christ how broke is your brain if you keep up with and talk about this dumb loving game. and no, you aren't doing it "ironically"

It's true, this game is like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RBA Starblade posted:

Jesus Christ

I don't think he had anything to do with it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

colonelwest posted:

Citizens call this hacked together Cryengine Mod the best looking PC game ever.

Here's the highest fidelity pizza stand in all the 'verse.

Why is the space station so cold? Dude has to wear a toque.

Poor Miles Eckhart is in a bar wearing like 4 coats.

So cold.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hav posted:

The number of 'Pong' replies tends to really heavily underline the age of the backers.

My personal vidyagayme journey started with this bad boy;

All variations on small blob interacts with larger blobs. It blew capacitors on a fairly regular basis, and was my first entrance into the world of solid state electronics, a field that would almost completely disappear.

Squash 1 and Squash 2? Wow!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Popete posted:

Why are they building a procedural caves system for a space simulator? How is that a priority right now?

Your dumb game can't even host more than 50 people yet.

Cryengine is pretty good at making caves. It's lousy at simulating a galaxy, space flight, space combat, or apparently elevators.

Besides, caves are probably one of the easiest levels to make, right? Draw distance and whatnot is easily limited in a cave. Nobody complains the sun in in the wrong spot in a cave. Long samey corridors are totally realistic for caves, giving you long travel times between points of interest to make the world seem big and complex. And it's easy to say that none of their buggy vehicles can navigate caves, so it's just a space dude walking around dark corridors. With the occasional large impressive chamber that looks good in screenshots.

A small team should be able to make mad progress banging out cave levels. The Elder Scrolls: Arena (1994) had procedurally generated caves and dungeons, and by TES 2: Daggerfall (1996) they were ridiculously complex to the point of being nearly unmappable and awful, so I assume this is a mature technology. CIG don't even need a sensible automap system, since that's not fidelity and commandos will probably be thrilled to find out that players who tediously map manually have an advantage over casuals. A twisting maze of nonsensical 3D tunnels where only the most dedicated players will be able to find the pirate cove black market or the cool underground lake is exactly what a certain type of player wants.

So you have a few guys make cryengine cave maps. Maybe Chris won't even interfere much since caves are boring. They could wow backers for years with the amazing progress they are making on this minor feature.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AlbieQuirky posted:

What if the US economy crashes but Germany does fine? Will be a different game if so.

Yes, very much so. Instead of flying combat ships the focus will be on the forklift drivers who move goods around the warehouse and occasionally push crashed ships off the deck.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Vomiting is a sign of fidelity.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

All they really have is art, so to save it just turn Star Citizen into a DLC pack for no man's sky or whatever space game actually works. Be a pretty good DLC: Lots of ships, a couple ports of call, and an NPC wearing too many jackets.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tippis posted:

At least their media purchase strategy matches their content creation strategy…

What if all the Archering wasn't Archer's fault? Maybe CR just finds things he thinks looks cool, and says he wants something like that. And no matter how much you try to get the same look and feel in something new, he just keeps sending it back for refactoring until it looks exactly like the cool thing he saw. Archer was making completely original work that after dozens of revisions just happens to look like he traced someone else's work.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, its truly insane how much they continue to promise while considering the ramifications of absolutely none of it. The medical ship just makes no sense. The game where the medical ship makes sense doesn't fit the game where flying into battle and shooting people makes sense.

If they were willing to be like EVE and have NPC "troopers" it'd work, but that's not ~fidelity~ and they've already pre-sold people marine experiences and space photographer experiences and space taxi experiences and...

Its a blatant scam at this point, but since people have been into it for years and thousands of dollars, they won't see it. This is digital scientology.

I believe the gameplay loop for medical ships is you buy them, then you park them in convenient areas and never touch them again, so you can have handy respawn points. Park a medical ship near your favorite cave. Park a medical ship near your favorite prison. Park a medical ship next to the homestead you bought on that one planet. So wherever you die you'll always respawn nearby, rather than in one of the horrible sprawling cities.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zaphod42 posted:

Does your medical ship stay there if you go and get in another one of your ships?

Does it stay there if you log out?

Your medical ship's gonna get blasted pretty quick. Not to mention how useful will they even be in the scale of SPACE ? Flying from Olisar to Space planet X may take longer than flying from the medical ship you parked outside that particular cave on planet X, but when the battle moves over to planet Z it'll take about as long to get from your medical ship to the battle as from Olisar.

And if it takes that long to get back to Planet X then ... yeah.

Like Rotten said, they're imagining this like its Planetside but its not that so the same mechanics don't make sense.

Oh, I agree. Parking it for future need is just the most useful thing I could think to do with it. The other option is that they are for "orgs" and one guy is stuck flying the respawn ship all the time instead of a combat ship.

But that's stupid. The medical ship isn't a carrier, right? It isn't carrying a dozen fast fighters so your fleet mates can respawn on your ship and get right back into the fighting. So you'd probably be better off respawning at the nearest port where you do have backup ships and the possibility of getting back to the fleet within 20 minutes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Spiderdrake posted:

It really is a pity they're not on a real engine, since they could be making GBS threads out hundreds of games worth of drop in assets and making mad bank. Chris would just reject most of it anyway.

Assuming games work like that, which they probably don't?

Imagine if they could sell all the rejected art on the unity store. :monocle:

And then Lord British could buy it and put it in SotA. Suddenly there would be all these NPCs with dozens of jackets and nobody would know why.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gotta say, the latest Miles Eckhart refactor is looking good

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z9X-EQEQDQ

Its soooooo bad, what the gently caress Blizzard

Massive cringe

Smoking inside your helmet seems like a terrible idea. You be blowing smoke in your own eyes. And what happens if your cigar burns to the end before you get to a place where it is safe to open your helmet and spit it out?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Archer is coming from inside the thread. :ohdear:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Foo Diddley posted:

p sure that it was some Reddit guy and not a goon, because

Maybe the goon deliberately logged out to capture the filters and frame the innocent redditors!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hey, Ben's not dead.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Examine napkin

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Agony Aunt posted:

LOL, so much future tense in those responses. Oh well, that's what you get with Tier 0.

I like the one about "defending a homestead"... as in, those homesteads that don't exist despite having sold players land claims and base building ships for lots of money.

But let me get this right, you defend a homestead by taking a weak combat ship and using a device that stops them running away? I see no flaws in that plan.

Why would you even want a 'homestead' when you have a spaceship? Gonna just land my spaceship here on this random plot and build a log cabin.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I've been out of the loop for months. What new has happened. I googled it and they apparently added spelunking. How's that going?

The caves are great! It turns out cryengine is really good at making cave zones. Almost like FPS maps are what it was designed to do. While you are in the cave your dude can mine by hand and carry ore to the surface to sell, an activity that would be completely useless if the mining ships worked. Adding caves has like doubled the amount of gameplay in the 'game' so everybody is thrilled to be crawling around caves on foot in their space dogfighting game.

You can also pick fruit. And collect animal dung. There are no animals yet, just dung.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zushio posted:

This whole talk of fidelity when all the spaceships have giant open windows in the cockpits and all over the ship pisses me off.

I assume they hand wave it away with shields or future construction material but in real life space ships would have either no windows at all tiny little viewports. If you can see through it that means all kinds of radiation and stellar rays and whatnot can also pass right through. If it's shields that stop it that's dumb cause shields fails. If it's magic future materials that's dumb because they don't even have anti-glare.

It's also a massive structural weakpoint in literally the most important part of the ship (where the pilot is sitting so nothing breaks).

In short, buy an Idris.

I say go the other way. If the shields or meta materials are good enough to be visually transparent but somehow block all the bad things and be physically as strong as the rest of the hull, why not make all the exterior walls out of it? Giant floor to ceiling "windows" in every exterior room would be cool. You could moon other ships going by.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

chaosapiant posted:

Is that really true though? I heard they have excellent under water simulation and physics.

Okay, but does it have caves? All the best space games have caves.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Agony Aunt posted:

Why do they have such a stout man doing the mocap if he's meant to be a marine? Don't the position of those markers matter? SC is a game where all the characters are perfect specimins of humanity, so i would have thought for mocap purposes they would require the right body shape.... and, wouldn't they also need to do it all again for the female body as well, beceause, you know, hips and stuff are a tad different. Wasn't there an issue early on with the female model where they walked like men?

And why the hell do they insist on mocapping anyway? Its really restricts what anims you can have. You need to mocap every anim you want then.

Those baggy mocap pajamas they use make everyone look pudgy anyway.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Saw this in the in the Dwarf Fortress thread today

https://twitter.com/eigenbom/status/1194769143221772288

See, so in comparison Star Citizen is way ahead of schedule.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Agony Aunt posted:

Its one of those games I've always been tempted to get into but then listened to the stories about it and thought to myself "Am i really ready to give myself a rage induced heart attack?"

There's also the problem that, like star citizen, no reasonable PC hardware can run it well. It starts out fine enough, but by the time you have 200 dwarfs and hundreds of animals you're lucky to get 20 fps. I always thought it would be cool to get like 1000 dwarfs all running around living their lives, but that just isn't possible currently.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Pretty sure you build one. Most MMOs do.

Yeah this is one of those cases where there is no correct answer. The BDSSE simply wasn't possible for in 2012 for $20 million.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah, "build one" doesn't mean it isn't possible. CIG is massively incompetent. "BDSSE" is bullshit but there are tons of engines that can do most of the things SC needs to. They're just incompetent as hell.

But "cutting edge game" is never going to be possible in "off the shelf engine". Those two things just don't jive. Doing one means not doing the other, inherently.

That's why I said for 20 mil, the amount they thought they would have to work with. Building a cutting edge MMO engine that does things no engine ever can do is a big deal. 20 mil might not be enough to pull it off.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is there lore on how this economy functions?

Like this guy. He has a shop that sells 3 t-shirts and 2 hats. Dude could be replaced by a vending machine. Does he have staff? Or when his shift is over does he just pack his entire inventory into that cardboard box and go home? How does he make enough money to cover the rent on his shop and wankpod?

Is he actually selling drugs and shirts are just a thin cover? Is it some sort of tax dodge? What is going on?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dooguk posted:

Star Citizen is a round peg and a square hole. Never been done before.

So ambitious!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zaphod42 posted:

The thing that really occurs to me about stimpire.txt is just how overwhelmingly juvenile it is. Whoever wrote that really needs a therapist.

Like its one thing to write a really dark fiction with really seedy elements, but just "everybody in this universe gets tortured forever" doesn't make any sense. If anybody who goes to a restaurant gets mulched into food who gets to eat the food? Who are the employees? What do people sustain on in order to build out the stimpire? I've already put more thought into it than the author.

How has this all been going on for 500 years? Nobody is allowed to touch buildings, much less anything fun. Even if you start with trillions, the population can crash to near zero in under a hundred years if there aren't trillions of babies being born, and nothing about the stimpire implies they would encourage or allow mass births on the uncared for planets.

I guess not zero if there are a bunch of immortal torture victims, but they don't seem capable of useful work. Making dissidents immortal seems like a bad plan overall. Surely just killing them would be cheaper and more convenient?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sarsapariller posted:

Are you goons trying to do critical literary analysis of the god-drat STIMPIRE?

Stop that.

The Stimpire is what literary analysis deserves.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

P spooky. Which survival horror game is this?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Popete posted:

Hell yeah, found a video of someone trying to play chess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQhkYpFeH_8

- You can hardly differentiate white/black pieces it's more black/grey.
- The pieces all look basically the same, you can't tell which is the rook/knight/bishop/king/queen all look almost identical but are just slightly taller in that order.
- You have to manually pick up each piece and place it on the board, it's very difficult to see which piece you are selecting and where you're placing it.
- If you take a piece outside the ship and set it down it will despawn and appear back on the board. But if you take a piece and throw it from within the ship to outside the ship it will despawn but not appear back on the board.
- The only way to reset the chess board (without manually placing each piece) is to store and retrieve your ship. Sleeping/logging off also resets the board.

Look, making a computer chess game is really hard. Nobody has ever done it before.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Simone Magus posted:

At what point do people like the Better Business Bureau (or whoever) get involved? It really feels like it ought to be actionable at some point to keep selling things that don't exist

There is nobody to get involved. As long as development is ongoing it's not fraud. As long as they are collecting taxes on sales-they-call-pledges it's fine. In some jurisdictions there could be consumer protection laws that require them to give refunds if requested, but the USA isn't one of these jurisdictions.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

El Spamo posted:

Jump routes: large, medium, small

what does that even meeeeaaaaaaannnn

You could do a cool thing where some worm holes or warp tunnels or whatever they use are only stable for ships of certain sizes. That way small ships retain value even in an environment where much more powerful huge ships exist. But that's probably not what it means, because that would disadvantage whales, lol.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zaphod42 posted:

That makes sense, but the part that doesn't is there also being a Sol system.

I guess after you rename Sol to Terra you're like "Well the name Sol is up for grabs, so lets rename Proxima Centauri to Sol for shits and giggles. It was a good name for a star, much better than Terra"

Although a star named "Earth" is pretty lol.

Yeah, all the aliens are gonna make fun of us.

We are the Dirt People. We come from Dirt.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Scruffpuff posted:

This poo poo goes literally all the way back. When Pac-Man came out it was noted as being a hugely popular video game that attracted as many women, if not slightly more, than men (despite the Pac-Man title) and opened people's eyes to an ignored demographic.

There were lots of theories about why, leading ones were a featureless protagonist and a non-shooting-everything premise, I'm not sure how accurate that is but the lesson the powers that be took from this was to release Ms. Pac-Man and make sure to give her lipstick and a bow. So despite being the superior title, it had a weird patronizing vibe to it.

I'll never stop being surprised at people who try to market to people this way. Look, it's pink, it's for girls! Not to be outdone, men's bath care products can be mistaken for automotive products with how they're packaged now.

Maybe we should just reopen gladiatorial arenas and let these guys work through their problems that way. We'll make trillions of dollars, and reduce their numbers significantly.

First there was Normal. Then there was Normal and for girls. Now there is normal, for girls, and for MEN. I'm not sure if this is progress or not.

BRONUT

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

nurmie posted:

yeah honestly it's just embarrassing

most of these Manly Products for Manly Men are not even practical or whatever - it's just typical consumer stuff with some extra military-looking tAcTiCal bits haphazardly attached. like if you want poo poo that looks similar to this style and that's actually useful and practical and durable, why not go to a military surplus store or a specialty workwear/outdoors/hardware places

Nobody wants military surplus Bronuts.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sarsapariller posted:

What blows me away is that there's no acknowledgement from any quarter that this is unsustainable. That they cannot possibly build every city in the game universe they promised to this level of detail, that they haven't sped up even slightly, that it's year nine and they're still on the first star system. The elephant is right there in the room with every one of these long, smug victory laps, and everyone just... ignores it. CIG has either internally committed to having at most a couple star systems ever, or they have no plan whatsoever, and backers just don't care because they've been taught not to look up from the newest thing. And none of the cities CIG has produced offer substantially more gameplay than one of the stations in Elite Dangerous! All this effort for what is basically a landing platform that you'll take a bus through, to get to the cargo trading terminal, because the game doesn't take place in cities.

Once they get the kinks out of the pipeline building new cities will be super easy. Something something handcrafted, something something procedural generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mendrian posted:

I think what a lot of these game dads fall for is the idea of infinite progress at a steady rate.

Like we went from Link to Ocarina of Time in ten years; and for a lot of people, it felt like less time than that even, given that a lot of people in the states weren't consuming home gaming until well into the 90s. Conversely it's been 10 years since the release of Skyrim and it doesn't feel like Fallout 4 is really any more advanced. We've gone from completely redefining the technological zeitgeist every 5 years to slow incremental changes to lighting engines and anti-aliasing. To the casual observer, progress has ceased.

This is of course wrong; there have been profound leaps in technology even if the average person doesn't appreciate the complexity involved. Entire genres and new ideas have risen. Games with less technological focus have achieved focus of design and implementation far greater than anything produced in the 90s (looking at you Hades).

But if you think that we're supposed to take a leap forward every decade these people feel overdue, like nobody is trying to push the envelope. I feel like they really have no appreciation for what they're expecting, and they think time will be enough to make their dreams possible.

I'm pretty happy with the current situation. I built an i5 that was pretty good at the time 5 or 6 years ago, and it is still pretty good. It probably wouldn't run star citizen (because nothing does, lol) but for the kind of games I like to play it is still perfectly fine.