Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

The Titanic posted:

That's kind of always been my question too.

I figured people would be coming out of the woodworks to talk about their new purchases and such, but it seems like nobody ever does. :shrug:

It is a true mystery of a sexy bear. :iiam::iiasb:

Its constantly mentioned as sort of a half joke, but SC really is a cult. Or at least a good way toward being a cult. But instead of offering spiritual salvation like your more traditional cult leaders, Roberts is offering salvation from his supporters' mundane and alienated lives in a science fiction fantasy world that can be whatever they want it to be. SC is a blank slate they can project their fantasy selves on to, one where they are special and important and their actions are meaningful. They aren't buying ships, they are making sacrifices to make the dream more real in their heads. What they're buying really doesn't matter, its just a way to interact with that fantasy. Like, I very very rarely ever buy a lottery ticket, but when I do, I justify it to myself that I am buying a ticket to daydream. That $1 spent makes the daydream a bit more real because there's the possibility, however slight, that it can come true. I think that's kind of how this scam works, except instead of spending a dollar they are encouraged to spend thousands to make it as real as possible. I don't think its just rich people, either. Cults often have poor and lower income people giving up every penny they have, even taking out loans they can't afford, to burn on the alter of their dreams. Its really sad.

Or its russian mobsters laundering money. Who knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Scruffpuff posted:

The main difference is that you can win the lottery.

Lol, for sure. But! If the way I'm looking at this is right - and it certainly may not be, I don't know any of these people - then the game actually getting finished would be devastating for them. It would collapse their fantasies into a reality that would never live up to what was in their heads. With endless development they can keep yelling "early days!" and keep imagining how great the game will eventually be in some nebulous future that will never come about. They probably don't actually want the game to ever be finished, which suits CRoberts and CIG just fine, I'm sure.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
So who's giving the cultists all the talking points? I just watched some youtube with a guy stammering incredulously at the new price of the Legatus pack ($35k loving lol) and the comments were mostly people clowning on scam citizen but there's one true believer in the bunch throwing out the greatest hits:

"Rockstar made a billion in the first week of release, why would CIG settle for peanuts from crowd funding instead of releasing the game?!?!?"

"Whale packs aren't pay to win, you just don't understand the deep and complex mechanics of the game!"

"Cyberpunk2077 has been in development since 2011! Eight years and still in pre-alpha is totally normal!"

and my favorite:

"I've had more fun with this game than all of the other games in my Steam library combined! I play 6 hours a day and its a blast!"

I see these same "arguments" every time I look at the comments section on a video that even mentions SC or Crobear. Do they actually believe this poo poo? Like, they really think Star Citizen will make a billion dollars when it releases or that there's actually any gameplay at all? I mean, I have to imagine they're just spraying squid ink and trying to confuse the issue/change the subject but still. And boy do they hate Elite Dangerous, I tell you what.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Sarsapariller posted:

* Ten thousand dollar game packages
* Packages vs Ships

*buys $4000 Javelin*

This is not a GAME PACKAGE. You must purchase a separate GAME PACKAGE to view your ships.

lol

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Sarsapariller posted:

What is it about bad sims that draws the white supremacist crowd so hard?

Probably because bad sims promise them the power that they feel they deserve but don't have in real life. Star Citizen has that extra layer of elites lording it over plebs that they truly desire and can buy their way into.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Enchanted Hat posted:

Not to defend racist idiots, but isn't the graph actually correct? It just excludes same race crimes. The "on white" columns look big because the total number of white people is larger.

Its only "correct" in that it displays numbers of incidents but doesn't normalize by population size, as you noted. Cherry picking which stats to show is how you lie with statistics and ideological racists love lying with crime stats.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Can't wait for FDev to hire Rexzilla to hot drop 50 SCREAMING MANIACS on Scorpii GW-1 A 2

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Sarsapariller posted:

Man people are really down on Elite.

I really like Elite but, tbh, there's a lot of valid criticisms about FDev's design philosophy and implementation. It's really grindy and repetitive and there's a bunch of problems with balance, among other things. There's some, imo well deserved, hesitation to assume the expansion is going to be good and worth the wait/money. Personally, I'm not super excited for space legs because I bought a space ship game to fly a space ship and would really like more space ship gameplay instead of a planetside clone stapled to said space ship game. If I wanted a space game that was trying to be everything, poorly, I would have bought an Idriss.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Popete posted:

I do like that CIG only just recently decided to not version the next release as 4.0 because they realized that might imply they reached some actual milestone instead of them being idiots about software versions for a barely alpha game.

8 years in and still figuring out what their own version numbers mean.

I don't know why but the alpha version control going from 3.9 -> 3.10 bothers me more than anything else CIG is doing.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Inacio posted:

that's the one thing CIG didnt get wrong though. that's how it's supposed to work.

Is it? I don't do software, I just know numbers don't work like that

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Nalin posted:

SC combat stuff

Tbf, that video doesn't really display much visual feedback that would give a sense of movement. It does look like you're just spinning in place. It doesn't help that it's yaw biased and the enemies seemed to stay in a flat plane which makes it feel a lot less dynamic. I also couldn't tell where your throttle indicator was or if there was any enemy information on the hud. Also, is that chat window something that can be toggled because holy poo poo it takes up a third of the canopy.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
I wonder how this is going to end. Its been treading water for years but that can't keep going forever. Or maybe it can and there will be devs at CIG who've been working there so long that their children, who weren't even alive to witness the original kickstarter, will join them in the coding mines.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Asmodai_00 posted:

Capitalism is the biggest scam there is.

Not wrong, broken clock, etc

Its fascinating that they can see this but not realize that CIG has painted themselves into a corner with their funding model and there is no way they could ever deliver a playable game because of it.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

trucutru posted:

This looks like total crap.

Yeah it does. Supposedly everything is player built, including the economy, which sounds like a big pile of poo poo to me, but different strokes and all that. I imagine people will have lots of fun building giant dick-and-balls ships to ram into the tryhard space dads' millenium falcons

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Sarsapariller posted:

Just want to put on my goon hat here and say that nothing in the Expanse is remotely realistic and that actual space combat would be about destroying your opponent's infrastructure for space flight, i.e. your space elevators or launch pads, rather than trying to find an isolated ship based on infrared emissions or whatever. Imagine Naval warfare and what it would be like if boats cost a billion dollars to launch and everyone could see and shoot at any port from any point on the sea, at any time. The boats immediately cease to matter except as delivery vehicles- it becomes entirely about the ports and offense/defense around them.

The whole concept of sending humans into space to sit in pressurized cans full of atmosphere and fight one another is absurd, and it would all be done by robots. It's also absurd to do it for general space exploration. But it's not terribly sexy to think about robots doing all of that, and we're a long way from digitizing human consciousness, so for the time being our fantasies continue to revolve around the idea that anyone would spend the effort to weaponize the most vulnerable type of ship in human history. It's like strapping a glock to an egg.

I will also put on the goon hat and say that even apart from what you're saying, and assuming there is a compelling reason for ships to engage with one another, "realistic" space combat would be boring from a gameplay perspective. Engagements would occur at phenomenal distances and would essentially boil down to launching guided cruise missiles and then waiting for a few hours/days to see the results. Theres a reason why WW2 dogfighting at speeds slower than actual military jets and distances far shorter than terrestrial naval/air engagements is the norm for space games. It's just more fun and exciting to be able to see your opponent and pew pew your laser guns at them.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Xakura posted:

Also, as far as I've read in the Expanse, it has not described full scale war, which would presumably be terrible and swift.

Very vague spoilers: that actually becomes a major plot point later in the books

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Mirificus posted:

quote:

No-one needs to pay any more than $45 for lifetime access and all future additions and upgrades are free.

We did that - because WE wanted it that way. I bought Skyrim V 6 times because I wanted it for PC, Xbox and VR. $240 for basically the same game and still none of the original bugs fixed. Without it's community of modders it would be a buggy mess and a lot less engaging.

Chris Roberts offered to attempt what everyone said was impossible.. that's why. Not for 'a game', but for a belief that collectively we could do better.

How much is a season pass for a game that you constantly have to pay to have additions for? Do you count 10 years of season passes and addons as the price of a game? No - because you'd rather be bamboozled than accept reality. If you want to make change, you have try something different.

If I stop paying for a season pass I can no longer play that game online no matter how many years I paid before. I could decide today never to give Cloud Imperium another penny and I still have lifetime access to everything that will EVER be in the game. My account keeps it's value forever.

"We paid a conman because he told us what we wanted to hear". Just plainly stating they are paying thousands of dollars for wishes and dreams with zero awareness or reflection. Amazing.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

mdxi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADJho00HmDo

Oops there's another interesting looking space game happening.

Tick-tock, tick-tock!

A bit off topic but gently caress am I getting sick of this premise. "The earth is dying! We must go into space!" No. If the earth dies, all humans die, full loving stop. There's no where we can go in the universe, other than earth, that can support human life. Its so crazy to me that people think it would be easier to travel thousands of light years through the void to terraform uninhabitable planets than it would be to fix the problems here.

Sorry, thread. I think the smokey orange hellscape outside my window is making me a little grumpy.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

The Titanic posted:

Humanity.txt

The grass is always greener on the other side, etc.

I took a lot of time studying astronomy and worked at some planetariums and their software when I was in another life, and there's a few things I realized:

1: The galaxy earth is in is really huge
2: I pretty much guarantee there is more life out there, probably even really intelligent life
3: Because of #1, it doesn't matter at all
4: If/when we pick up a transmission from another space race, they probably died millions of years ago
5: #1 is really depressing, we will never leave our solar system ever and we will die when earth does, assuming we last that long
6: When the sun dies, it will expand for a long time before going out. The outer circumference of the new sun will literally reach earths orbit and earth we'll be long dead and then also thrown into a fire. There will be no record we ever existed

Yeah, I'm sure there is more life out there and, just as you say, we will almost certainly never encounter it because space is loving big and there's an unbreakable speed limit. Even if, somehow, we could find another planet that had the same physical properties, liquid water, breathable atmosphere, etc, we still couldn't live there because we depend on an uncountable number of interconnected living systems to survive as a species. Even if we found life on another planet, we would still likely need to import our own native organisms and soils since we almost surely wouldn't be able to get nutrition or grow food in alien environments if we wanted to live there. Like, the problem is that trying to live somewhere else other than earth would require exponentially more effort than anything we would be able to do here to fix our problems. It would be easier to fix the earth after a massive ELE meteor strike than it would be to terraform mars or whatever. It just bugs me that people can more easily imagine terraforming an alien world than reversing climate change.

colonelwest posted:

Though we’re pretty sure to just continue loving up the Earth, we probably will leave the solar system at some point. Even with current technology it’s still feasible to reach Alpha Centauri.

https://youtu.be/EzZGPCyrpSU

No offense meant here, but this is exactly the kind of poo poo I hate. This dude is so enamored with spaceship technology that he hasn't put any thought into what to do once we get there. Like, as a scientific endeavor, its really cool. Hopefully we'll be able to do that kind of thing some day. But as a survival strategy, it won't work. He's also doing that thing I mentioned above, where its easier for him to imagine all of the world's governments coming together to build a giant space laser on the moon to send a ship to Alpha Centauri but can't imagine all the world's governments capping CO2 emissions.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Sunswipe posted:

Oh, it was. I can't find the scene on Youtube, but there's a sequence where the good guys have to stay quiet in their spaceship so the space cats can't hear them in the vacuum of space. It's mind-blowingly loving stupid. And I'm pretty sure Ben Lesnick has written at length about why actually, no, it totally makes sense and you just don't understand Chris Roberts' brilliance.

I couldn't find the scene specifically either but here's a small part of it (warning: has Bad Movie Guy commentary). It starts at ~6:45 if the timestamp doesn't work. One thing I completely forgot that this guy points out is one of the supporting actors is Jürgen Prochnow who was in Das Boot, one of the best WWII movies ever made. If you haven't seen it, it has probably the most tense and memorable "submarine hunted by destroyers" scene ever put to film, and Chris loving Roberts is making this guy do a lovely SNL skit level take on it for his space movie. I can only imagine how that went over on set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq9F4WuCcvA&t=406s

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Hey all, I missed squirrel chat from last week but my friend just sent me this:

I helped build an enclosure for a wildlife care center this summer and it has some new tenants! I've named them Idriss and Aurora

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

:hmbol:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Fidelitious posted:

No one outside of academic software engineering gives a drat about what your schooling was. It's helpful for your first job but you can get hired with no relevant education at all if you've got publicly available projects of at least reasonable complexity on Github or wherever.
I've gone through a couple hiring cycles on the interviewer side and if you're at least a mid-level software person you could honestly leave your education off the resume, I wouldn't even care. The HR people wouldn't like it though.

But yes, it's not like civil engineering in North America or something where you get your Engineer's/Iron Ring in some pompous ceremony.

As someone who works in civil engineering and is not legally allowed to call myself an engineer until I meet a number of specific criteria, of which a relevant degree is only one part, its a touch annoying that any goober that can write a hello world script can call themselves an engineer. If it was just about video games it wouldn't matter but software is a part of just about everything these days and the fact that there is no regulation or oversight on the professional qualifications of the people writing the code to make cars drive by themselves is troubling. They've already killed a lot of people and the response was "whoops!" and that was the end of it. "Engineer" isn't just a title, its a set of legal requirements and it carries a lot of responsibilities, including potential jail time for gross negligence. None of that applies to software development though, because people in that industry like having the title but don't want any of the professional and legal responsibility that goes along with it. Anyways, a bit of pet peeve of mine considering the amount of work its taken me to get where I'm at now and I still can't put the word "engineer" on my resume.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Popete posted:

The PE exam just doesn't make sense in a software context. I have a Computer Engineering degree and work in software development. I get the annoyance you are talking about because so many jobs slap the title "engineer" on it to make it sound more prestigious when a lot of the work is front end scripting that can be learned in a 6 month code boot camp.

There is a computer engineering PE exam but I have never heard of anyone taking it and I'm not sure why you would. It's just a piece of paper that isn't going prove much of anything. If you're a competent software engineer you should be able to show that in your past work and any projects you maintain say in GitHub.

Another point, for a long time colleges didn't have a specific CS or Computer Engineering program. CE in particular was really just an Electrical Engineering degree. So a lot of old school software engineers have degrees in EE or physics or whatever and they just transformed into software roles over time as demand increased.

Its not really about the PE exam, that's just hoop jumping and its not a particularly difficult hoop if you're in practice, its more about the responsibilities that come with licensing and that the license to practice can be revoked in the face of incompetence. Again, its not really a huge deal for like 99% of software design - its the part where it intersects with life safety stuff, ie medical devices, self-driving cars, heavy equipment control, etc. where it should be a concern imo.

Anyway, sorry about the derail. I'm finishing up my master's thesis right now and its making me wish I chose any other career path lol. Rather be a sandwich engineer at this point

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Popete posted:

I work in embedded software specifically the area you are talking about, writing software for aerospace sometimes flight critical. I have an engineering degree but no certifications beyond that. There are consequences for getting it wrong (think Boeing MAX scandal), but the checks are usually at the program management level. Software has to pass strict testing and certification if it's going into an aircraft at anywhere near flight critical layers.

It's not good enough for me to write a piece of software and they throw it onto a plane, writing the software is actually probably the easiest part. Getting it to pass qualifications is where it gets painful.

Sure, I specifically left out aerospace since I am aware that's a heavily regulated industry. I still would argue that licensing would be beneficial even in that case. So many other parts of that industry require professional licensing that it would make sense to me to expand it out to the software side as well. I'm just a big fan of regulations and licensing I guess!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

IAbsolveMyself posted:

One of my hobbies is electronic music production. I focus on a niche genre (drum n bass) and have been doing it since the late 90s. Right now, it has never been easier to make electronic music. At the same time, if you choose to have as much control and as many options as possible, electronic music production has never been more difficult or technical.

I've been listening to a lot of ambient electronic music lately while I'm working on my thesis. I play guitar and have some understanding of recording and production and thought to myself it might be neat to start learning synth stuff, you know, as a side hobby. Watched a YouTube "beginner" introduction to eurorack and I laughed and laughed and then closed the tab. Bought an Idriss instead

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

IAbsolveMyself posted:

In my opinion, the most interesting ambient music is made with eurorack format generative modular synthesis. It is basically procedural generation for music, because the artist is defining rulesets and parameters, not writing music in a traditional fashion. This is one of the deepest and most expensive rabbit holes imaginable. I like modular for sound design and general experimentation, but it is very easy to get lost.

To make things even more complex (and to save money) I have an audio/cv interface which allows me to go back and forth between hardware eurorack and software modules on VCV rack when creating patches. It is a whole extra level to troubleshoot and monkey with as well tho.

https://expert-sleepers.co.uk/es9.html

It is super fascinating stuff, tbh, but way way way more complex than what I can reasonably dive into at the moment. I do want to turn some knobs and make bleep bloops though so I've been looking at a couple different, much cheaper, standalone synths / midi controllers as a way to get my feet wet instead.

MedicineHut posted:

Starting at 01:06:22 there is a really good bit.

https://twitch.tv/videos/767178937?t=3982s

Its kind of amazing how bad a time these streamers have with the game and CIG on a consistent basis and yet just keep going back for more.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

nurmie posted:

I'd recommend the Volca series of synths by Korg - all itty-bitty units with very purposfully limited capabilities and low cost (as far as fully-functional synths go). Perfect for tinkering and dipping toes into the world of sound synthesis, in my opinion - and they can actually be made to sound pretty tasty. Some of them are digital (samples, FM synthesis, etc.), some are legit analog synths. They can also be synched together and controlled by midi.

Actually been looking at those as well as stuff like that Behringer minimoog knockoff or the Mother 32. I contacted a dude on craigslist about a Korg Monologue which seems pretty ideal for a beginner and when I was looking around at this stuff it seemed like there was one of those sitting at every synth workstation on youtube.

peter gabriel posted:

Out of the foggy shitfest that is 2020 appears an unlikely hero, holy poo poo saltymike's wife loving owns :lol:

Lol right, dude should listen to his wife and just play Stellaris instead of immiserating himself every single day

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

smellmycheese posted:

While you're deciding you can have some fun with this - released recently,. Browser based 303 and 808!!

https://808303.studio/

This is amazing stupid fun thank u

Megalobster posted:

Derailing this thread with no survivors:

I got a Monologue. It's probably one of the best bang for your bucks monosynth out there, it's a decent monosynth + midi and cv step sequencer + better keybed than 90% of the midi keyboards on the market for the same price + microtonal scales capability for 200 and something bucks.

I don't think I've ever posted in this thread without derailing it lmao. Sorry thread!

Thanks all for the synth chat, its very cool. I'll look at those software suggestions IAbsolveMyself. I wish the musicians subforum on SA got more traffic but alas, it feels so cold and lonely there....

Scruffpuff posted:

It's not just Chris Roberts these days, either. It used to be common knowledge that a con man was necessarily a very charismatic, likable person, who could reasonably appear nice and trustworthy, making it easy for them to swindle people. But in the last few years, it seems these rules have changed, and that the conmen (and conwomen) of our time are extremely obvious, surface-level fraudster bullshitters that you can smell coming from a hundred miles off, nothing about them exudes charisma, and they're the kinds of people you'd grip your wallet and cross the street to avoid. And they're even more popular and successful than the charming rogues of yesteryear. People are broken in new and exciting ways it seems, and I don't see a path back from here.

I was listening to the Last Podcast on the Left episode about Heaven's Gate a while ago and they played a bunch of the main cult leader's droning, monotonous nonsense recordings. Somehow enough people heard that charisma void and thought "huh, I guess chopping off my balls and killing myself to go meet space jesus *does* sound like a good idea..." I don't think charisma has always been a necessary component for cults per se - more that the cult leader needs to be saying something that allows people graft their own worldviews and identities onto the message and invest themselves personally. I think Crobbers offers that up in spades and the open-ended vagueness of what Star Citizen could potentially be really lends itself to that kind of mindset.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

cmdrk posted:

The funny thing is, if the Steam Charts numbers are to be believed, Squadrons is honestly doing pretty poorly. It's peeled back from its launch high of about 35k concurrent players down to _maybe_ 2k at peak hours. It's currently #221 on steam charts in terms of players. And this is a Star Wars game that harkens back to X-Wing.

I expect that this is because the game is loving hard, but not necessarily bad. The flight model is decidedly not Warthunder's Arcade mode or Freelancer style (from what I recall) mouse driven movement. My friends who tried to play with KB/Mouse have already given up. I don't think we're in the minority here. I think that people wanting a space sim shooter have realized how invested you have to be to enjoy them.

I enjoy Squadrons, but I think the market is decidedly much smaller than most think for a sim-style space combat game. And I think it was priced such that EA could dip its toes in that market to see if it would get any bites, but right now it has fewer players than Battlefield 1.

Hot take: Competitive multiplayer isn't actually all that popular. Outside of a handful of big titles, it seems the standard trajectory of most multiplayer games is a big initial interest at launch with a huge falloff after a couple of weeks until the player base collapses into nothing but a tiny group of ultra tryhards. I'd imagine that most of the people who picked up Squadrons played the single player campaign, maybe jumped into a few online matches and then went on to other games. I personally believe that a lot of game devs overestimate the market for multiplayer focused games. Some of them get it though. Like, there's a reason that the big name fighting games have story modes - a shockingly small number of people actually play them competitively online.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

The Titanic posted:

It's the opposite. It's disembarking from your ship.

It's because this is some button on your console that's right next to a super useful MFD display you need to use constantly for stuff. If you hit the button accidentally, there is no "are you sure?" option, your girl just starts to climb slowly out of your moving space ship. You have like 15 seconds to enjoy this animation as it slowly plays out and you are cussing the whole time to try to find some way to abort it and get back inside your space ship.

Once you climb "down" the ladder, even if it's the opposite of gravity, you are treated to your ship zooming off without you. :)

:lol:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Sammus posted:

SOCOM did this. It was interesting going into a firefight with one full mag and 4 mags with between 2-7 rounds each. But now I’ll be able to hide in the middle of a fire fight, unload my near empty mags and make 1 full one! Revolutionary! But an Idris.

Can't wait for the tedious fidelitous hand loading of each fully modeled magazine. I really hope they get the physics right and pushing the individual bullets gets harder and harder as the spring is loaded. Would give you something useful to do during the 20 minute quantum travel loading screens. Maybe we can get custom hand loads and citizens can sit at a work bench press making their own bullets, measuring out gunpowder and casting their own slugs while watching QAnon youtubers for hours at a stretch

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

monkeytek posted:

Last second bait and switch, the bullshit upsells, the "credit" excuse for raising your rates, sitting waiting in an empty room for 1 hour as they "talk to the sales manager"....

drat, I would so love that poo poo

Yeah but the extended warranty is pointless until they get fully physicalized ship components that randomly break down. That would open up some sweet emergent tow truck play loops. Crossing my fingers for that implementation with iCache

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Have these people never played a video game? This poo poo is super common in tons and tons of games and has been for, like, at least a decade. This person is describing poo poo you can do in GTA3. A game from 2001. I just...:psyduck:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
What is it about video games that make people think they have a direct influence on the mood and psychic wellbeing of the people making the games? Guys, we can't point out the glacial pace of production for this $300 million+ scam game because the devs might get sad and just, I don't know, quit their jobs or something

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

The Titanic posted:

CIGs big selling point for the game has always been "dream about what we might be!" rather than "look at us now."

This has a few great benefits CIG has been able to cash in on very well. Obviously it brings with it the great defense to "tier 0" despite that tier 0 probably being as good as it's going to get if it ever gets in at all.

No game can compare to the possibilities of every persons dreams for the biggest space game ever conceived that isn't even withheld by the needy shortfalls of a publisher. The sky is the limit and CIG will make it happen (not even might, but definitely will).

Meanwhile the actual game is nowhere near any of the dreams. Right down to the point of the player count being less than an average fortnight match on a Nintendo Switch.

None of it adds up to the amazing depth people dream up, but I think a majority of people with the dreams are also not playing the game at all. It's super easy to dream and look at all the pretty pictures and videos and imagine it all. :shrug:

This is why I think CIG has no incentive to actually complete the game, even if they had the ability to. The actual "game" is a web based text adventure where you use the power of imagination to create a personalized fantasy simulation and talk about how great it will be when it eventually manifests. If CIG actually releases a final version of SC, then its game over and the fantasy crumbles to dust

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Nicholas posted:

The publics reaction can definitely effect your morale. Some developers are really passionate about the work they do, and it can be especially frustrating to know that you are working on project that is lovely, not because of the quality or effort you are putting into it, but because of terrible management.

Yeah, but that's not unique to video games. Like, there's whole genres of entertainment dedicated to making fun of bad movies but you never see people trying to shut down criticism of film because it might make the key grip sad.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Mirificus posted:

And that he wants to

Respawn & corpse runs don't seem very visceral, real, or like a particularly meaningful consequence of dying. I'd prefer a focus on reasonably long respawn timers to allow Search and Rescue, player-centric, emergent gameplay, and if players don't find them by then, they can punch out (at their option) and quanta does.

I'd rather call it a night, go to bed, and give players a chance to find and rescue me while I'm offline for less lives lost than I would respawn as a clone and go find my own dead body, selfishly providing no gameplay for anyone but myself. And boring trope gameplay at that.
[/quote]

I guarantee this guy is a paunchy, middle-aged white dude with a goatee and a lifted truck covered in winches, KC lights and search & rescue stickers that brags about having a buddy in the sheriffs department

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

This guy can't be for real. This is a long form troll, right? It reads like a parody of the citizen mindset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Clocks posted:

SC not actually existing in a playable state makes it possible to make your own fun via dreams.txt like this guy just did.

Its really something that the absolute pinnacle of this dude's perfect fantasy game is getting to tell other people what to do for the most boring reasons imaginable. It's actually hard to say what's worse - the power tripping or the banality