Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Defund Star Citizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

TheAgent Who Loved Me

No Time to Fly

Radiohead's "Spectre" was briefly mooted for the film before the Broccolis went with flavour of the month Sam Smith, and probably would have made that movie a little less forgettable:
https://youtu.be/CLiDemXYSLc

dieselfruit fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 12, 2020

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

FOIP Your Eyes Only

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

dieselfruit posted:

FOIP Your Eyes Only

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

JackSplater posted:

Should have a tennis ball on the end of the crossbow.

we've reached the limit of my GIMP skills

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Oblivion and Fable are the two all-time greatest gaming disappointments. It's always weird to encounter the stans for either of those games, but at least none of them ever actually have anything significantly positive to say about them, it's always just about the time and place in their lives when they played it. Plus a generation of folks whose first Elder Scrolls experience would've been Oblivion, so they really just didn't know what was missing.
Things that Fable did that were really cool:
-Your body would slowly change as you skilled up. If you were a swordman you'd get all muscley, if you focused ranged you'd get tall and wirey, if you used a lot of magic you'd get neat glowy tattoos.
-Unparalleled rotten food mechanics. You could really just chow down on flaccid carrots and off tofu all day.
-

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Thoatse posted:

It's a bear! It's a cat! It's a bearcat! I just learned about binturongs, I had no idea these existed but they're rad as heck. They live in southeast Asia, grow up to 6' and have prehensile tales and are very playful.

https://i.imgur.com/UdDJ1GO.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-19MzIQ5OhA

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Mirificus posted:

quote:

Yeah, just mining (by hand, ground vehicle, or spacecraft), finding and selling valuable harvestables, deliveries, commodity trading, PVE dogfighting / bounty hunting, PVP dogfighting / bounty hunting, spelunking, prison breaks, prison defense, boxing, crimestat hacking assistance, crimestat hacking prevention, black box recovery, investigations, general PVE FPS combat, general PVP FPS combat, general PVP dogfighting, piracy, drug-running, racing, combat assistance service beacons (player or NPC), travel service beacons (player), comm satellite hacking, comm satellite recovery / defense, various bespoke assignments from 7 mission NPCs, exploring points of interest, shopping for food / drinks / clothing / armor / weapons / utility items / spaceships / components, roleplaying, participating in prearranged combat operations, manning a turret / crewing a ship, and general shenanigans with friends.

Oh, yeah, and taking pretty screenshots.

EDIT - This is just a list of everything that popped into my head that is possible to do in-game for entertainment. Yes, some things overlap, some things are similar, some things are buggy. Point is that there's quite a bit more than just mining and delivering boxes and taking screenshots. It's far from a complete game and there's much more that CIG needs to deliver, but we should still paint the entire picture.

yeah but is it fun

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Mirificus posted:

Of course we have the right to be pissed off and frustrated and critical about the lengthy development process, but for better or for worse, you can't get an experience like SC anywhere else and it's not looking like that will change in the future... If you find yourself getting emotionally over-invested and frustrated, it's time to take a break from following SC. Just unsub, and check back a year or so later.
Even when they're trying to stay positive, citizens admit that this project is a sisyphean hell with no end in sight. Development has been such a shambling, spiralling sludge for so long that the idea of reasonable progress in a realistic timeframe isn't even considered a possibility anymore.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Mirificus posted:

If Elon gets Starlink working with near zero lag from one side of the world to another the problem of delayed server connectedness gets significantly easier.

this sci fi computer game will really get off the ground once we have sci fi space internet helping it along

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

video game pls

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

"N-no, you're the one who is owned!"
-an owned dude

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Mirificus posted:

[Alpha 3.12 Insurance Timer and Price Changes] I think it's good. Because it makes the ship's status a gameplay resource now, not in a few years posted:
Star Citizer: The extra bugs give me deeper gameplay.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Pixelate posted:

Merry Xmas goons

Long may this shitshow continue

(So long as its final parp is pyrotechnical)

Even the NPCs look like they don't want to be here.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

This thread: what kind of person keeps throwing money at Star Citizen in year 8?

Citizens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMoZQ75QhYs

Holy poo poo. The career citizen droning on about how advanced his nerd throne is while the game lags and jitters to hell in the background is just :five:

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Mirificus posted:

Citizen dreams up ways to make the flight model worse

Star Citizer: Visceral Slow Flying

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

MedicineHut posted:

And that last couple paragraph bits, that is what the "playable now" narrative does for you. Well played CIG, well played.

Hopefully one of these days the usual game review outlets will take their noses out of their asses and realize that not only this game is being marketed as a released game but it is also monetized to the teeth like one, and therefore needs proper reviews.

Star Citizer: I'm almost out of moisture

Star Citizer: I Have No Idris and I Must Feed

dieselfruit fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 12, 2021

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Mirificus posted:

quote:

quote:
Bit precision.

32 bit: 1032

64 bit: 1064

If you can get either of those to fit on a calculator, you can see that there is many more possible positions for something to be.

You know when you take a very small jpeg and expand it to be a really large image and it stretches? ‘Cause the bigger something is, the more “pixels” you’d need to keep resolution? Well, you want the ability to animate (move from one frame to the next) in a large area to not be once every few feet. You still want that fractions of inch resolution, even when in a giant system that’s millions of km high, wide, and deep.
Imagine 64 bits on the edge of a cliff

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

mdxi posted:

I feel like the problem is that everyone else hasn't just shut up and deferred to them as Authoritative On Video Game Development.

It's me, the One True Developer, and I'm here to tell you that Star Citizen is good

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

colonelwest posted:

In the mean time, I'll take suggestions for what to call the show.
Kicknonstarter
Wring Commander IV: The Price of Idris
Two Hairy Roberts and a Space Burrito

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Title Tech (Tier 0)

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

colonelwest posted:

:siren:Monthly Star Citizen Themed Goon Live Stream: Update:siren:

Thanks for all of the hilarious naming suggestions, I decided to call it "The Wring Commanders", which came from dieselfruit, to avoid making it too much of a deep cut. But, I'll be using some of the other suggestions for episode titles.

Our first episode will be next Sunday 07 February at 2pm EST. Saturday 06 February at 2pm EST. The first lineup will be Beet Wagon, Bootcha and me.

To start I'll just be streaming to Youtube via this channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSathRKrZFxNeDZQ0EJxsg/featured

Reminder: you all are welcome as guests in the future, just hit me up on Discord under the same username.

Honoured & blessed to have contributed to this project, and will graciously accept my royalties in the form of fractional shares of an Idris

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

same

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

In Elite I can name any of my ships whatever I want. This can be done at any station, for free. Other players will see it when they scan my ship, and it's pretty neat.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

I'm going to call my space ship The Crobbler and none of you can stop me

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Strangler 42 posted:

The Tickler in Black is decloaking off the starboard side!

Derek's Revenge
The Final Pledge
Endlessly Turbulent
Don't Tell Sandi
Uncrashable II
Ship Name Tier 0
Absolved

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The concept of a civilization that intentionally builds itself around cyclic apocalypses and develops infrastructure specifically for that is interesting.

Vernor Vinge did a neat version of this in A Deepness in the Sky. A star with a variable brightness cycle would plunge a planet into an ice age every few years, and the civilization of bug people had evolved their society and tech with periodic hibernation and looming apocalypse in mind.

dieselfruit fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 3, 2021

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Mirificus posted:

quote:

Currently, everyone seems to have a multicrew ship of some sort but Citizens of the Verse have no incentive to crew for one another. Even with the money app in game there is no incentive for one citizen to work for another other than to defeat boredom.
they're so goddamn close

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Gravity_Storm posted:

Getting a Planetside 1 vibe from the E:D beta. Gameplay and aesthetic feels very familar.

Wait that sounds rad

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

The Titanic posted:

It's just computers aren't good enough yet. If they invented them with more flip flops in them than just 1's and 0's we'd probably see CRs masterwork today. But because humanity done hosed up... it's our fault.

We let down Chris by failing to be smarter from day 0. :(

Just think of how many pictures of clouds we'd have if they bothered to code this thing in octas
:eng99:

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

My EVE experience: I bought a jillion ISK off of a farmer for like 20 bucks as seed capital, because that economy is out of control and honestly who has the time to grind. That farmbot was my first and most important social interaction, because every body else was either a) a pirate who silently murdered me immediately, or b) took this whole thing way too seriously and expected me to quit my job in order to be available for ops. So I milled about, took missions, killed pirates, and eventually got into a cruiser. "This looks kinda neat", I thought, impressed with finally being in a ~big ship~. I then was promptly blown up by a player in something much smaller. I never returned.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Dwesa posted:

I am sure he believes in "10 year plan" now.

:reddit: Roadmap in Graph Form (21 April, 2021) (Updated Information)

those progress bars mean nothing

Basins: 0%
Ladder T1: 0%
Stair Locomotion T1: 0%
Navy Jumpsuit: 0%
Prone T1: 0%
Selling: 10%!

The game is good, folks

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Best practice is to not give this company any money.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Shocking how easy it is to fleece people when you make them think they're getting a sneaky deal. Just set up a convuluted laundry of transfers and tokens and buyers will think they're getting one over on "the system".

Of course the average citizen has no chill and a findom fetish, and since this process is infinitely more engaging than the actual game, there is now this weird class of dudes who brag about how they have spent thousands on IOUs for IOU ships. Like they've managed to spend more money for even less. And this gives you clout. Just incredible.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Mirificus posted:

:reddit: posted:

Those who criticise Chris Roberts constantly fail to realise the ones they are insulting is not CIG and it's board members, it's us, the community

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

If I see one more glamour video that's just money shots of ships flying in straight lines I'm going to scream

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

I don't understand game development, but on the topic of UE5... if Crobbler stumbles out of his latest blow bender and realizes he's about to get about to get lapped by teams of bored teenagers using out of the box tools, and/or when this project goes belly up and is bought up for pennies by an actual developer who will try to rush a finished product out the door - how difficult would it be to re-use the existing assets in a functional engine? Assuming that the ship models are the only things that are worth salvaging (and let's be honest), how difficult would it be to port them into something that isn't a hacked together farcry mod? (Leaving aside any network issues - I think we can assume that the best hope for any sort of release is a single-player mvp, Freelancer-style)

dieselfruit fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 8, 2021

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Imagined posted:

Is there a handy phrase to describe the disinclination to believe something is a scam simply based on the ever-increasing audaciousness and obviousness of the scam? Like, "It can't be a scam, because if it were a scam it would be the biggest scam in the history of the videogames industry, and what are the odds of that?" "It can't be a scam, because if it were a scam they wouldn't be so bad at making it not look like a scam."? I keep thinking of "sunk cost" and "Occam's razor" but those aren't quite it. What do you call the tendency to believe a lie simply because it's such a big and obvious lie that you can't believe someone would actually have the balls to lie about it? Besides "The Republican Party"

Crobert's Rub

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

I was skeptical of a game of operators operating in the future climate wars, but then this trailer had a guy jump out of a jet to fire a bazooka at another jet, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Lammasu posted:

The entire Sandi situation is one of the weirdest things in a company dominated by weird things. She's MIA for a year then suddenly starts posting about Star Citizen again. Like the only thing that would make sense is that she had a baby but why keep quite about that?

Alternate take: rehab. Ditto for Chris suddenly emerging again to shitpost with new eyebrows.