Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

made the mistake of trying out star citizen to see how far along it was (not very) and after being frustrated with how long it takes going from one place to the other (like 40 minutes unless you're a Big Bucks Spender with a big, fast ship) i had the even worse idea to share my frustrations in chat. people got really pissed off.
this sucks it's really not fun but apparently it's not meant to be "fun"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

I think Freelancer had a good scale for traveling around - I think it'd usually take an hour to get from one side of the galaxy to the other which felt like you'd gone a long long way but you'd also actually gone past a lot of stuff instead of SC's deep space of nothing. SC's travel is absurd.

it's even aggravated by their design decisions - bigger ships (where you can, you know, at least get up and do something with other people to reduce some of the boredom) go faster. why? what the gently caress is the point? is it just to appease the whales who spent more money?
it serves absolutely no point in the game. it's just a loading screen - except it's not even loading anything.
i'm honestly just shocked right now. those guys in chat were actually loving defending this. how? for what purpose? is it just an advanced form of stockholm syndrome?

i wasn't even hating the game so much until now (despite other things such as being unable to do most missions because i have The Wrong Ship - should've spent a few thousands on the game, loser!)

e: Your inconvenience is my immersion

marumaru fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 3, 2019

marumaru
May 20, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

There's an argument to be made. Fast travel does have an impact on how big a gamespace feels. Time-distance adds significance to geography, to placement of assets, and so on and so forth.

But CiG's approach is just insane. The majority of SC community is apparently all in on big ones go faster for no god drat reason other than maybe it makes their dicks hard for their big ships to be better than everyone else. The times to get to anything useful and therefore accomplish anything in game are totally bonkers. You can't even go make some tea while in quantum space because of interdictions and random equipment failures.

The notion that small ships should just be sticking to one planet for their game-space is asinine in a game that wasn't even going to have planets as anything but a single landing zone. Flying in Quantum doesn't even look fun. It coulda been though.... *waves at Infinity Battlespace*

i'm certainly not arguing for quantum teleportation or anything - elite has taught me that repetitive jump animations are not a bad thing and some games would be worse without them. what blows my mind is exactly what you mentioned - just how long it takes, how you cant even let it run and go take a poo poo or something and how the whales get catered to because expensive ships going faster makes their tiny dead-bedroom-unused dicks hidden under their oversized stomachs hard.

i think what really set me off on this crazy tirade was how the ingame idiots actually defended it. "it's not meant to be fun" and "this isn't space invaders". this could actually be a good game but it's not just that roberts is poo poo at game design, it's that their users actually enable him.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

iospace posted:

We don't have intersystem travel yet (I think), so QT is the only one here. It functions very similar to Eve's warp, but you can only warp to major landmarks, and once there, or close enough, a minor landmark.

are you excited for leaving your computer on and running star citizen for multiple days nonstop so you can visit different star systems?

iospace posted:

Oh and bigger, more expensive ships are somehow faster.

the power of capitalism!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Want to try mining? That'll be $150 for the mining ship.

thought that was just a funny little exaggeration until i remembered that i cant do deliver the box missions because my ship isn't a trading ship so it has 0 cargo space
and no you can't put the box behind your chair gently caress you give us mONEY

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

My favorite part of having a lovely starter ship (seriously I have considered upgrading to an Avenger for the sole purpose of making my lovely unfunny videos easier to make, which is insane) is that my ship (much like yours, I assume) DOES have a designated cargo space but you can't put the grabby hands boxes into that cargo space so uhhhhh as far as CIG is concerned I can go gently caress myself if I want to try 90% of their missions lol

correct - this Citizen is even making fun of it:

why can't i loving place a box in there? what the gently caress chris roberts, i'm not giving you money. i gave you $20 10 years ago (or however long its been) give me box storage technology.

you can fit a loving cow in there

marumaru
May 20, 2013

chris roberts is a poo poo game designer

marumaru
May 20, 2013

monkeytek posted:

All fun and stuff about the underlying leanings of Star troopers, but we need to focus on what is really important!

How long has the bartender been in "development"?

I'm pretty sure some indy games have been announced and released in the time this amazing AI bartender has been in development.

How will we ever get true Hairy Roberts without delivering this much needed npc?

The pipelines alone that are tied to this one npc are staggering and must weight on commandos daily!

But seriously how long have they been working on this stupid npc?

the hair technology just wasnt there. please understand

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't know how you can say Sandi's not doing anything. Look! She signed her name to the fake position in the fictional company that they are LARPing, inside the real company that they aren't managing!

Also I really appreciate that they're gauging my interest in their cheap poo poo before they try to peddle any more of it. Wonder if they got burned on some of the previous orders?

lmao that loving bag looks like it sells for 30 cents on alibaba

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Zzr posted:

Good that he's not working on a game.

right sorry i forgot it was berated for wrongly referring to star citizen as a "game" in the ingame chat. "its not SPACE INVADERS you moron"

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Starbase just had an update video a few days ago, Frozenbyte dont seem like they're pulling a fast one with it.

chris roberts isnt on the starbase team.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

marumaru
May 20, 2013

any reviews on the new hair workflows? really interested in seeing those improvements!!!!!!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

JugbandDude posted:

I agree the whole negative latency thing sounds like BS marketing, but we gotta admit that Google has certainly innovated more than CI so far.

ill be honest, CIG has done some pretty rad poo poo. the technology in SC already existed, but i don't really think it's been brought together in a single game the way it has in SC.

ooooooooooooooooooooooon the other hand... gameplay-wise SC sucks massive elephant cock. it's full of bugs. its entire business model revolves around locking [unfinished at best, non-existent at worst] content behind three digit pricetags.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Citation needed for this.

i mean, multi-planet ~galaxies~ or whatever down to planet scale down to fps scale eg being able to pick up poo poo in first person is pretty neat tech, it's just a shame that it's in a trash game "space sim" instead of a good game

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Tippis posted:

…except that it's not planetscale (everything is scaled down),

wait that's a loving lie too? i actually thought that part was true and that you could land anywhere and the entire planet was there

marumaru
May 20, 2013

oh man earth is going to be so bad, i can't wait

marumaru
May 20, 2013

holy poo poo dudes i stand corrected this is truly the most accurate representation of Earth in a video game ever. truly incredible
bravo roberts

e: these are leaked please dont tell sandi i got them

marumaru fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 11, 2019

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Dementropy posted:

We also didn’t want to have any “invisible bag of holding” that could be filled with anything, or to be a to be a “2D MMO UI,” but instead wanted all inventories to be 3D and physical so they feel real.

oh boy this is going to be the worst inventory system ever wont it

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Pixelate posted:

The best citizen, ever since he was a little boy...

came to post this. we'll be seeing kids be born, grow up being star citizen fans, and die without seeing a finished game.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

gimme those new hair workflows chris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

game is even shittier this patch by the way. i dont know why i put myself through this poo poo.

- remember how annoying it was to be interdicted in the middle of your 40 minute mandatory Immersive Quantum Drive™ Travel? well now it happens every 10-30s. lol!
- remember how annoying it was to not be able to get a ship with cargo space without spending a few hundred bucks! rejoice, rental is finally in! but it's extremely expensive, get grinding. (i didnt get to try it though because my ship blew up every time i tried getting to the place where you can rent ships. see interdictions above)
- had another guy in chat tell me that The Game Isn't Meant to be Fun when i was whining about the above points. he also lowkey told me that the longass quantum drive travel times are my own fault for not Investing enough in Chris Robert's Star Citizen™.

see you in 6-12 months, citizens!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Toxic Mental posted:

lol what are those actually from I gotta know

MSFS 2020
it's going to be loving lit

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Toxic Mental posted:

lol I was going to guess it was flight sim too ahahahahaha
check this poo poo out dude
https://cdn.microsoftstudios.com/fsi/videos/LionelV7.mp4

marumaru
May 20, 2013

2 hours+ in: 6th crash, still (still) havent managed to get to the rental kiosk. this is not a joke. i literally cant get to the rental kiosk because i'll either get interdicted every 10 seconds, my ship will exit quantum drive due to overheating right inside an asteroid, blowing up immediately, or i'll crash.

why am i doing this to myself goons.

e: 8th crash. im done
chris roberts wins. ill never reach the rental kiosk. dropping $10k on ships now, this is His vision. it's how it's meant to be

marumaru
May 20, 2013

which one do we use here?

"It's not meant to be fun" or "This ain't Space Invaders, kiddo"?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

you know what, i kinda get it now. we're looking at this from the wrong angle.

you can buy ships from ingame now. let's take a look at this one - it has aquariums, beds and a bar!

how much does it cost?

5 million space dollars.
okay, how much do you make from an average/higher paying mission?

to get that much money, you need to do 808 missions at 7000 credits per mission. 808 missions at 40 minutes each (best case scenario, not accounting for bugs, crashes etc) that's 32,000 minutes or 533 hours.

the ship costs $310. 533 hours of work is way more than $310, even at brazilian minimum wage. $310 is an absolute bargain.

chris roberts is a philantropist.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Who is doing their UI, someone right out of school?

with CIG's turnover rate... probably, yes

marumaru
May 20, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

also what kind of brain worms are these

please croberts, don't let me use my spaceship. just for a few more hours, I'm almost there

the game is not meant to be fun

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Agony Aunt posted:

Causing your character to get burns all over their body and in need of medical evac. Now wait 3 hours for a medical ship to respond, take you on their ship, where they will operate on you taking 6 real world hours, then you will spend a real month in hospital recovering.

just 3 hours for a medical ship? is this a post-interdiction-slash-overheating patch?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Is that really a 15% increase in staff or just 15% of the devs have bailed on this mess?

yep

marumaru
May 20, 2013

marumaru fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 14, 2019

marumaru
May 20, 2013

when even nms works/plays better than your game you should reconsider

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Zzr posted:

Why the whole UI is always shaking like it follows your head ? That's a horrible design.

because REALISM

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

The really funny thing is you can crew on someone's ship, wait for them to fly out of the no fire zone, and then shoot them and take the ship.

It's been said many times before- if this game ever actually released, it'll be a griefers paradise...

even better is to follow someone out of the station and to the pads, sneak into their ship with them (theres nothing they can do about it), then hide yourself in the bathroom or whatever dumb room their ship has, and after youve been in quantum travel for 14 hours you shoot them, so they'll be pissed enough to just quit the game, leaving you with the ship.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Slow_Moe posted:

It'll be even better when some one goes full space station 13 on them and becomes the traitor and deliberately sabotages everything. CIG and the backers' dreams of having players play tedious and menial jobs will be the perfect vessel for grief, and in a way it is sad it won't really happen.

even manning turrets, arguably the least boring of multicrew jobs, is boring as poo poo.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

saving for posterity when people ask me why star citizen is boring and sucks

marumaru
May 20, 2013

it's not meant to be fun you stupid millennial

marumaru
May 20, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

Is Star Citizen not poo poo yet?

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/dimvg8/everyone_praises_37_but_i_dont_see_it/

lol

reading /r/starcitizen comments is like watching a war between traitorous non-believers and Citizens(tm)