Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Like to come back to something awful for this thread once or twice a year now as a way of reflecting on my life.

Since Star Citizen's kickstarter I have:

Graduated high school
Had a gap year
Lost my virginity
Had a sex change
Graduated college
Moved cities
Written my MA thesis
Started a doctoral program

and all along I've been enjoying the most open game development process in history, thank you Star Citizen, thank you Chris!

Hope all of the thread regulars are well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

ewe2 posted:

- wrote maybe 30 songs and at least 35 parody songs.

I remember these well!

SabinBlitz posted:

God drat that must have been a bad experience

It was, but I've had literally years to get over it and now everything's fine!

ggangensis posted:

- Became a father
- Did not have a sex change

It's not for everyone, I'm pretty sure there's a frankly awful tv show about trying to do both...the order is very important...

Alarming to think that dozens of citizens have, by now, died waiting for this game to come out. I hope that in heaven you can play the BDSSE.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

and what ever happened to Derek?

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

drat, this is literally every former backer in this thread...

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

Should have never posted in the thread, now fully engaged with the star citizen watching hobby again...

That guy saying he's earmarking 5,000 dollars from every deployment for star citizen...I just don't understand it...

Are there people in business schools or something studying this kind of consumer decision making? I guess maybe it's already well understood

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

Covid-19 has increased demand for a profound, meaningful (virtual) life immersed in the 'verse

Real life (prose) is over, and going forward can only hope to survive in the poetry of Chris Roberts' hand gestures and stammering soliloquy,

It turns out that life was the dream--it was only ever Star Citizen that was real

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

This is not a GAME PACKAGE please note a GAME PACKAGE is required to fly or access your ships.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

Last night I had a dream that I had spent $110 on Star Citizen and I was trying to justify to myself and understand how it happened

I woke up though thank God

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

God this is just getting depressing

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

They can't keep getting away with this

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

Has there been any speculation about the effects that monetary tightening might have on Star Citizen's deranged crowdfunding model?

Genuinely wonder if this might make a dent in the truly unsinkable Titanic that this project has become since I started posting in this thread nearly 10 years ago.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

Yea true, I'm being ridiculous.

I am kind of desperate for catharsis. But Star Citizen is just another peculiar tangent in humanity's interminable disaster. Waiting for it to collapse is as much of a sucker's game as waiting for it to come out.

Happy Sisyphus fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 15, 2023

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

Oh my God

quote:

We didn't. I believe that we won't. This doesn't just give me hope for Star Citizen. It gives me hope that we can fight through our own Messer regimes, and our own failing ecosystems, and that we can bend the numbers and the trajectory of our future just enough to reach for the stars.

Keep up the good work, Citizens. Onward to PES, and Pyro, and beyond.

The true Citizen is Christlike—extending unlimited grace on behalf of our shared dream.

It is a beautiful testament to complete un-self-awareness of our consumer servility.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

Popete posted:

I am prepared to be hilariously wrong and funding just keeps going up.

Decent thread title contender imo

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

The reasonable take has always been that both sides of the Star Citizen obsessive spectrum (from CIG cultist to rabid hate-watcher) will be disappointed, in some sense.

Insane citizens daydreaming about the perfect space adventure life sim Chris promises will never see their fantasies materialize, but equally we've been posting in this thread for long enough to see that CIG and its projects will keep shambling along. Maybe if the singleplayer game is undeniably broken and awful it could finally break the faith of backers, but it seems more likely to be just buggy and mediocre, and at this point it's clear that mediocrity is something Star Citizen fans are more than prepared to accept.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

Incidentally, did they say when Pyro was coming to the live game?

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

juggalo baby coffin posted:

is this poo poo still dragging along? it feels like its been going my entire adult life

I started posting in this thread when I was 18, I am now 28 years old.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

good call

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

Mailer posted:

Since I cannot stop wondering what the citizenry are thinking... what was the BG3 reaction? It was a critical and end user darling and I'm expecting "just imagine what it'd be if it was good" comments.

IIRC, they were mostly just touting its numerous bugs as proof of Star Citizen's virtues. Pretty much the same way they react to any given buggy, much-anticipated game launch.

They do love anything that helps them to see their own exorbitant financial/emotional investment in the project as relatively justified.

Happy Sisyphus fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 7, 2024

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

The first act of BG3 was already solid by release—but there was definitely a lot of wonkiness that could spring up in the last chunk of the game. major bugs with reactivity and quests, no epilogue, etc.

Basically, there were some real reasons to complain. The patches have helped a lot.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

Apollodorus posted:

Actually I kind of imagine Croberts being a lot like the utterly out of touch yet insistently hands-on chair who hasn’t taught an undergrad course or published an original paper in 20 years, telling his contingent faculty that they’re lucky to be there and etc etc uh oh this is hitting too close to home all of a sudden.

Digression, but once had a senior faculty member tell me, during a grad student labor action: "You think you guys hate the administration? Imagine how we feel. You're here for what, 6 years? We're here for life!"

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

Apollodorus posted:

You will never find a more out of touch and denialist bunch than senior faculty, at least not outside of the Star Citizen community

My adviser as Chris Roberts, me as a Star Citizen player, my tenure track job as the quality of life feature indefinitely delayed, asymptotically approached.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

Gate between Pyro and Stanton is opening in upcoming tests. Server Meshing messiah tech is finally here.

Blockers falling down as final polish for SQ42 is completed and SC development spools up to blistering pace.

Molting of Papy and American QA carapace will allow the game to grow to its complete size.

3/100 systems soon to be online and interlinked.

For real though, if Squadron 42 is meant to be like an episodic trilogy, why should Citizens be optimistic about more dev resources switching to SC? Won't they just have to start development on part 2 of Squadron?

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

He is the main protagonist of postmodern literature

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

Pixelate posted:

Enter the hole of truth!

Evocati jump points are in the house. Testers rejoice!

paarp

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

posted:

On Squadron 42 that is taking the game from Feature Complete to Content Complete

Is the distinction between 'Feature Complete' and 'Content Complete' common in the wider games industry, or is this another development innovation peculiar to CIG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

MrTargetPractice posted:

Feature complete generally means all the final systems etc are in place. Content complete means that everything is done and ready for polish/testing.

For an example:
A system that supports side quests - feature

All the side quests themselves - content

That being the case it does seem like another minor misrepresentation...What he said at citcon was that they were now in the polish phase, not that they were now approaching the stage just before it.

But at this point who cares