Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Dark Off posted:

the new stargur fiasco i would guess :allears:

The what now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

trucutru posted:

what isn't star citizen?

a game

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

The Titanic posted:

Every major package being sold has been me all along. :)

Well, that sure explains why the project is sinking.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

Everyone should play the Titanfall 2 campaign no I will not shut up about this!!!

Agreed. It's even on sale on Steam right now!

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Is Chris Roberts the Tommy Wiseau of video games...

Tommy Wiseau at least delivered on his "masterpiece".

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

...Volcano Bakemeat?

Wait, not enough hot peppers.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Inacio posted:

the new dragonfly hud is here guys!

buy a dragonfly!

I have to wonder about things like this. That neon-green lighting in there is just ridiculous. Cars, for decades, have had dimmable dashboard lights because they know in low-light environments you want as little ambient light as possible so you can see well. So now that you're in space, where it's VERY DARK, you want a neon lit dashboard?

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Should have a tennis ball on the end of the crossbow.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

dieselfruit posted:

we've reached the limit of my GIMP skills

:perfect:

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Outside of Rogue Galaxy what other games or developers have thrown shade at CIG?

Stellaris can generate a system called Stimsis.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Fidelitious posted:

I plan to try it once again when the graphical version is out on Steam and I'm sort of dreading it because the idea of the game is so great and I've tried it multiple times.
I just could never get past the horrendous interface, even with graphical tilesets.

The Steam version is my last hope for Dwarf Fortress nirvana.

They've said they're making some aspects of the UI more user friendly. They did a post recently about the Embark screen and how they're redesigning it.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

mdxi posted:

Why is the guy in the middle eating blanched almonds covered in BBQ sauce?

Well how else would you activate your almonds?

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

no_recall posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9OAuViakOc

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/iae2950

ITS !RAFFLE TIME!
ENTRIES WILL END WHEN THIS COUNTDOWN HITS 0.
https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20201119T00&p0=24&msg=Star+Citizen+IAE+2950&font=slab

To enter:
- You must be a Platinum Account holder. For PMs.
- You must quote the poo poo out of this post.

What's your guess on the funding tracker sheet at the end of IAE 2950?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207
Current Pledge Amount
$317,425,743

GOOD LUCK FOLKS.
Grand Prize - A Humble (Steam Key) Copy of Cyberpunk 2077.
Consolation Prizes - 3 Humble Monthies.

$324,687,322

Also your post was missing a couple important things so I fixed it.

JackSplater fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 12, 2020

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

This is, unironically, my favourite image in the thread. It's perfection. It brings so many questions to mind. How? Why? Why isn't every character like this? This could be an entire alien race by itself. Missed opportunity by CI!G, really.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Also, making people feel like they're gaming the system is a great way to make them spend more money than they otherwise would have.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

...But why? How do those shadows make any sense?

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Terra and Sol as two different systems? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I realize that our system is Sol, but Terra has been in use as a name for Earth since the 1400s.

EDIT: Oh, it's intentionally stupid.

quote:

Terra is the only system in the United Earth Empire that is named after the capital planet, rather that the star (Terra Nova) at its center.

And, of course, the planet is Terra III, so it's the third planet from the star.

JackSplater fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 27, 2021

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

The Titanic posted:

Is this that 2 story tall tank they sold a few years ago that had everything in it except an engine?

Looking at the side view cutaway, I assumed its engine was at the front, like a car. But that makes less than zero sense - an engine is a very vulnerable part of a tank. You want it as far away from the enemy as possible.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I think I get what they're saying, though. I've bounced off of Subnautica 4 times now, all within the first hour of gameplay. I know there is a ton more to it, but gathering those first scraps has made me lose interest.

My first attempt I bounced off hard. My second one I turned off the food/water meters and it felt a lot better.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

dejapes posted:

There's also a fair bit of nerding out on Third Reich war machines, both actual and theoretical.

To be fair, they did have some hilariously ridiculous ideas for what constituted a "good" tank. Lots of weight! Slow as poo poo! Can't maneuver worth a drat but hits like a truck! What do you mean the allied tanks move faster than our turrets can traverse?

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Popete posted:

Despite being shown off at Citcon 2019 (and had a playable demo there) and promising it would be in "your hands" in a few months it was never actually meant to be released to the public.

Wasn't it meant to be released to that paid streamer so he'd have something to actually try and hype people into playing? And then they stopped paying him and he bailed within a day?

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

NumptyScrub posted:

Yeah basically my thought; DF is intensely complex under the hood, and it shows in the computational requirements; a large fortress with hundreds of dwarves can get sloooooow, and that has nothing to do with rendering. It is 100% "overly complicated game engine needs too many calculations each frame" that causes the slowdown. Also, I say "overly complicated" but even DF is deliberately simplifying concepts to streamline those calculations. An engine that really struggles like that is still "too simple" compared to many Citizer's dreams.txt vision of what SC will eventually simulate lol

From what I've heard the majority of DF's processor load is pathfinding. You can maintain acceptable (30-40ish) FPS in 100ish dwarf forts as long as you're cautious about fort design.

Well, that, and the majority of the game is single core (the graphics run off a second core, since technically it's not ASCII art it's a tileset). A high power dualcore runs it better than a slightly weaker 16 core.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Homeworld had a ship that could deploy a minefield in space. I couldn't figure out the use for it. It took forever to cover any decent area, and when you set up the pattern it was either a wall or a mat. So either you covered a very thin area that was hard to get around, or a very thick area that was trivial to bypass. And that was with all the abstractions an RTS has over an FPS like Star Citizen.

EDIT: I think it could also make a cube, but that added exponentially to how long it took.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

tuo posted:

Cat Stranding looking good

Now I want a death stranding mod that replaces BB with a cat. That'd actually be amazing.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

monkeytek posted:

Friends to have in your friend shed:

1. Doctor: for "hey is this normal" questions
2. Lawyer: for "Umm, I think I hosed up"
3. Entertainment adjacent career: for "Can you get me tickets to XXXX?
4. Accountant: for "I have no idea what this poo poo means and the IRS is gonna gently caress me, can you help me? I've got a nice bottle of whiskey!"
5. Cook\Restauranter: for " Bro, I need to impress my new date can you hook me up?"

6. Construction/Warehousing/Transport: for "hey I need help moving and I have five couches, can you give me a hand I'll pay in beer"

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

NumptyScrub posted:

Once was fine, twice was irritating, it happening multiple times for each of the main antagonists was Just Bad Writing

The worst one was the northern area, honestly. To get free you run through a gauntlet of enemies that gets progressively longer with every capture. By the final one you're not just going through a regular looking interior, it's clearly the bunker the people you're helping are based in. When you get to the final enemy he's begging you to stop and realize what you're doing and won't attack you. Of course you have to kill him, even if you figure out what's going on. I stood there for five minutes and just waited to see if anything would happen. Nope, gotta kill the dude, can't progress otherwise. For a game series that's been known to have surprise alternatives to quests, it was quite the letdown.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Asproigerosis posted:

I think it's pretty rude to mock someone for not understanding how breasts work tbh

Push the button (to buy an Idris), Karen

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Had a bit of a laugh going through the Hogwarts Legacy subreddit. For every one person enjoying the game there are like ten who complain that you should be forced to go to class and take tests and that sort of thing. Seems like there are more people wanting artificial lives outside the SC community.

I've known a lot of people who have wanted to live in harry potter world since the books came out. I'm not even a little surprised they want this game to be a life replacement.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Lammasu posted:

Then why do argonian women have breasts?

Venom sacs. Or snacks.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

YerDa Zabam posted:

I asked here a while back about fee to play weekends, well there is one coming up towards the end of the month.

This game is always fee to pay, though?

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Popete posted:

How on Earth are there still companies making brand deals with CIG?

Actually it's probably a smart move, Citizens seem to love buying ship manufacturer swag. A chair is probably pretty straightforward to change the stitching on.

"Hey, Gaming Peripheral Company, we want you to make something with our brand. Our game has raised hundreds of millions of dollars and it isn't even out yet. Imagine how popular it'll be when it actually releases*."

*Game will not actually release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Shazback posted:

(and P.T, IDK about death stranding)

Death Stranding gives you tiny flecks of plot here and there, in interminable cutscenes, with a massive plot dump right at the end to try and tie things together. It still misses a bunch of questions that I had when I finished playing. And yet, it was honestly a ton of fun to play through.