Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

New space yacht commercial is live, they unironically stole from the Great Gatsby because of course they did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvKS70FDZV8

Chris Roberts on The Great Gatsby: "That was the novel about a bunch of rich people at great parties, right? Perfect for my yacht commercial."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Daztek posted:

they forgot the disclaimer that says 99% of it is not ingame

Star Citizen: "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

RBA Starblade posted:

So with the spaceship jpgs, what are they actually promising you for your 1000 dollars? What does the 1000 dollar jpg do that the 10 dollar one wouldn't

And why do they have jpg insurance can your 1000 thing explode immediately and you lose it ingame forever?

Price and performance do not correlate in Star Citizen. Price and existence do not correlate.

Please see the collected ship reviews from the past thread for details:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&pagenumber=6526#post498056564

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&pagenumber=6526#post498056566

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I said come in! posted:

You get this pretty space yacht, and you have sit around in the pool in combat armor and a space helmet. Game needs some civilian clothing to wear for proper role playing.* This is something that GTA Online did extremely well.

*Buy now for a dozen pieces of clothing for $400. Clothing not available until retail version 3.0.

Oh it has civilian clothing

But if you take off your helmet you lose access to your HUD, and also they don't bother to QA test running around in ships without a helmet on, so there will be random places that have no oxygen and if you run through them you'll just keel over instantly. Everyone keeps their helmets on at all times now because death is a huge loving pain in the rear end.

This is not a joke post

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

trucutru posted:

The reactions to the commercial

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/d0imqe/origin_890_jump_ship_commercial/

Lol, funding for this game is never going to stop.

It's amazing. None of them have any idea what the Great Gatsby is actually about, do they.

(hint: he made his money through a loving scam)

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

also lol if you do bad stuff you're gonna have to wait in jail or play a prison minigame

This is good.

Small reminder for people who do not play the game. Current things that are illegal and will get you branded a space criminal, instantly shot by the guards and turrets at every station, and teleported straight to the space pokey:

* Shooting other players (of course)
* Having other players shoot you (what?)
* Bumping into other ships
* Having other ships bump into you- seriously the algorithm just kind of chooses a person at random
* Being on another player's ship when they shoot someone
* Flying too close to landing pads
* Flying too close to your own landing pad, if the ATC is bugged out
* Being landed on a pad for too long
* Being scanned while carrying illegal cargo
* Failing to stop quick enough when interdicted for the scan- your stop speed is based on the speed you entered QT at, so if you're in a big ship, an interdiction is an automatic failure because you can't stop in time
* Accepting one of a dozen anonymous missions for combat, that turns out to be from a pirate faction
* Doing any of the "Satellite disable" missions
* Flying into the no fly zones that invisibly bound every major city completely undetected until you are 3 seconds from impacting them
* Probably about ten other things I'm forgetting

So basically the only reason the game is even semi-playable right now is that you can land, commit suicide by cop, and reset this crime stat. Obviously for CIG this is an intolerable state of affairs. Star Citizen is the game of 45 minute in-system travel times and 15 minute bus rides, there's no room for hotshots to take shortcuts around here! It's extremely good that you will be thrown in jail now, unless you play the hacking minigame where you press a single button and then wait for twenty loving actual minutes and hope nobody kills you in that time. Yes, that is the "intended" way to dismiss your wanted level. You go somewhere and press a button and sit for twenty minutes.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

trucutru posted:

Right now the reddit is back in "only positive thinking allowed", lol. They only had to get lied directly and shown a commercial to change their minds.

The hand on the tiller has been really evident this last week:

* The biggest of the big whales were mollified by their literal actual 300 dollar microwaved-potato dinner with Chris. The dumb minelayer ship opened up a new "Tactical" conversation among the idiots who still think this game has an actual design document, and a new big thing to buy if you want to P2W.

* The big "Come to Jesus" conversation video where the developers admitted (indirectly) that they suck at everything, and they need to change the roadmap yet again, scrapping virtually every milestone and goal they had set for themselves through the end of next year. This was extremely cathartic for the angry citizens who want to believe- look, the company can be honest with us, even though their honesty reveals their total incompetence at every aspect of development! It was also the final straw for a bunch of fence sitters, who are now just gone. Another wave of customers driven off and yet their funding never drops.

* The 3.6.1.7 or whatever patch was released from the PTU to the PU, which means virtually nothing because the only thing that was in it was a ship that costs 1000 actual dollars. Every other feature including in-game ship rentals was cut, but the excitement of having a new thing you can buy will overwhelm the remaining Citizens for a couple of days.

* The hype for the big ship was turned up to eleven. Ironically you are going to see a lot fewer organic posts about it now, because on the PTU everyone who logged in could try it, and from now on it will be restricted to buyers, and nobody who plays the game bought one of these loving things because it's a gold plated turd. But that doesn't matter on the subreddit- what matters is the level of hype and testimonials and "Architect reviews" and RP firefight re-enactments and video after video after video about how many spaceships your strained and red-rimmed ship hangar can possibly have crammed into it. Then they hit them with a commercial- amazing! Wow! Never been done before!

I don't think this momentary high is going to last. It's the thrill of dropping a bajillion dollars on a big purchase, but regret is going to set in faster and faster. This thing is useless, you can't even fly it in-game without racking up unbelievable expenses. The game itself has made zero progress in the last 9 months except new spaceships, and they just turned around and promised that it won't make any progress in the next 9 months, either. Citizens always lose their minds over new spaceships but I think they're building up a tolerance- small poo poo like the rocket truck doesn't phase them anymore. The minelayer was met with a big wave of derision at first. They had to do a one-two punch of the biggest ship they've released so far, and the annual apology tour video, and I still think we'll be back to anger before Citizencon in November.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

How many times do you think he can film this one scenario, over and over, and maintain the slightest shred of pretense that he's showing compelling gameplay?

I mean watching that video he just runs across empty brown terrain for twelve minutes, with a single moment of spaceship interaction at the start, and another one blowing up kind of adjacent to what he's doing towards the end. That's it. There's no objective, there's no tension or stakes. Guy's been doing this for nearly a year now, it's not like any mechanics have arrived to make it play better now than it did a year ago. How long can he go on before the marketing money starts to dry up?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

monkeytek posted:

Exactly how much of this world spanning city can you actually interact with?

I'll have you know that you can land in a very exciting spaceport, and take a bus ride to a CryEngine shopping mall level that is almost a full square kilometer in size! There are three or four whole stores to shop at! You can also land in like 12 other places on the planet but it's just rooftop landing pads there, you can't get down off the buildings.

In any case it's extremely good and I'm happy to wait ten more years to see the other hundred planets.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 10, 2019

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The dangers of hover mode

E: do streamable links render here?
https://streamable.com/6wrss

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Also, some fun P2W news from the front.

You all remember the Hammerhead, the $700 ship that was the bestest and biggest last year? The one whose shields are completely impenetrable to the laser fire of like 6 player-manned fighters and that has 24 size-4 guns because gently caress everyone else?

Well, looks like it is completely unable to kill the $1000 super-yacht. As in, sustained fire from all turrets on a Hammerhead might be able to just take the shields down, in about twelve minutes on one facing.

Obviously this is all cool and good, and nobody has really noticed because nobody actually fights in Star Citizen- certainly nobody fights in the megaships, they're too bulky and unwieldy and they require half the server sitting in turrets. Money well spent!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Holy poo poo, they are really, really pushing this ship. I think Chris has struck a gold mine. Get ready for this game to be nothing but luxury ship after luxury ship from now on.

What do you mean, "From now on?"

This is literally the sixth luxury ship in the game

85x
Archimedes
300i
600i
890J
Constellation "Phoenix"

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

trucutru posted:

And, like clockwork, guess which one is the most popular topic at reddit?

(The RSI Polaris does not currently exist in-game)

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

It just blows me away how after seven years of constant, constant overhyping and underdelivering the backers still don't bracket any of these discussions with "If it gets completed and the design doesn't radically change."

Nothing that CIG tells customers about a spaceship is reliable. Even if you just want to P2W, here are some guarantees for you:
* CIG does not feel beholden to you for any of the numbers they promised you early on. Ship size, cargo capacity, weapon size- all of these will change as they need to sell additional ships. They have your money, they don't care.

* The most recently sold big ship will be completely invulnerable to all other ships

* If it is a combat ship, the most recently sold big ship will be able to decimate all other ships

* If it is a luxury ship, it will be invincible but useless

* There is no such thing as "Armor," they aren't working on it, and this isn't Tier 0 of the combat mechanics. It's been seven years. None of this is subject to change. More money = more damage and shields, period. If an expensive ship is too easy to kill, they straight-up just go into the XML and turn up the shield/health values on it. They have done this before.

* No mechanics aside from turrets and exterior doors opening/closing will actually be delivered when the ship goes live. Sometimes the doors will also not work.

* The more expensive it is, the faster it can fly. gently caress you if you question it.

* There will never be any multi-crew mechanics and nothing about your ship that depends on extra crewmembers will ever work. It's not even on the loving roadmap for the next year-plus. At best, maybe someday you will get a poo poo AI gunner in your turrets, but don't count on it.

* They will never, ever stop selling these spaceships. You will always be able to buy one if it turns out to be an amazing dream ship post launch. Spoiler: it will not.

* If you buy any concept ship from CIG in year seven of development you are goddamn retarded and there is no hope for you on this earth

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Popete posted:

So the asteroid interdiction, are individual asteroid positions tracked all the time in SC? Like if you took that same flight path again would you get "interdicted" by the same asteroid? Or are interdiction's just random events one of them being that there is an asteroid in the way?

The interdictions are randomly generated when you start to QT, but the objects persist in the game world- if someone could navigate the arcane group system and actually travel to that person's location, they would see the same thing. This actually caused huge errors when it was introduced because the asteroids (actually a pirate interdiction that failed to spawn pirates) would spawn the second the player entered QT, at wherever they were, including the initial starting space station. So you'd log in and there'd be like 100 giant asteroids outside from people trying to fly away, and then the server would crash.

The part where the server eventually crashes still happens, it just takes ~12 hours now instead of ~5 minutes.

But yeah that's pretty much the gameplay of Star Citizen, you've now witnessed 80% of it. The other 20% is trying to carry/place a box and failing.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Popete posted:

Is the asteroid only spawned once an interdiction is randomly generated?

Correct. All assets related to interdictions are spawned if the event is triggered. NPC's, asteroids, etc. They don't exist prior to that.

Popete posted:

If the player leaves that interdiction does the asteroid disappear though?

Originally, no, which was what caused the server crash. People'd be getting interdicted which would pile up hundreds of these and they'd never go away and eventually boop there goes the server.

These days? No idea, it's not possible to navigate back to the asteroid if you leave because QT is trash. But I'd bet that yes, they just despawn.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Colostomy Bag posted:

One ship that I feel clipped through cracks is the Herald. Basically a ship wrapped around a giant engine to transport "info" quickly. Yet how does it compare to the megaships as far as speed?

It can "accelerate" faster and has a higher top speed when in normal flight- like, 1200 m/s vs 900 m/s for the big cap ships. But during actual travel, i.e. interplanetary, i.e. the part that eats up the most time, it is far, far slower. It takes about 15 minutes to cross the solar system right now. The biggest ship takes less than 3.

They justify this by saying that quantum travel time is based on the size of your drive, and capital ships can carry bigger drives therefore will move faster. Of course they ignore the part where this completely undermines the very concept of running around in single seat spacecraft. They're trying to reproduce a WW2 war-in-the-pacific feel, with carriers that travel five times faster than airplanes.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sectopod posted:

Since you are a brave soul that sometimes actually plays this debacle, I have a question: On they post lots of screenshots (lol what else to post) of sunrise/sunset and sometimes timelapse videos of some location on one of the moons as it goes through a night/day cycle.
How does that stuff currently work in PU? Do the moons rotate around their axis but stay still in space (in relation to each other, the station and the gas giant?), or do they revolve slowly around the gas giant?
Do the QT destination points rotate with their parent moon? What happens when you transit from "deep space" to a moon's airspace (you get magically yanked to the now rotating frame of reference?) or vice/versa.
Just from casually browsing some SC twitch I cannot figure out how their current implementation works.

Okay this is my brief summary but please understand that this may be wrong and I really don't give enough of a poo poo to correct it anymore:

* All planets and moons in the system are stationary relative to the sun and each other. There are no orbital mechanics.

* They do rotate in place, however, which is what causes sunrises and sunsets. But you'll never see, for example, eclipses or travel times changing because planets are coming closer.

* Space stations are definitely locked in geostationary orbit around the planets. Grim Hex is always in exactly the same place relative to the drug spawn areas, for example.

* I don't know what would happen if you turned off flight assist and came to a halt above a planet. Eventually gravity might pull you down?

* Atmospheric re-entry is entirely a particle effect that is triggered when you travel past a certain speed in-atmosphere. The speed cap was raised to the point that you rarely see it anymore.

* QT points around the planets might be locked in place relative to the surface. Some people assert that that is the case, and give directions based on them? On the other hand, I've had moments where I left a QT point to go to the planet and suddenly the QT point zoomed off away from me at thousands of miles per hour. I'm still not certain.

----------

TLDR: Planets in this game are big stationary objects that turn in place to produce day/night cycles but do not otherwise have any form of newtonian motion.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Kikas posted:

Wasn't the cap raised because in some ship you could reach it in reverse and it would apply the re-entry particle effect when flying backwards?

Probably, I know you used to be able to hit it just from falling. TBH I can't recall seeing it in the last three months at all, but then I've only booted the game up like once in that time frame.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Leaks about this year's CitizenCon based on some images from the SC Leaks discord. There's going to be another long in-game demo with tons of long, pointless travel but some new tidbits for Citizens to lose their minds over:

* A new ship will be debuted, the Anvil Pisces- what this is, who the gently caress knows. Given how they've been trending, probably another Hammerhead-sized ship in the 700 dollar range.

* Debut of the Anvil Carrack which is/was supposed to release in December, who cares, exploration ship in a game with no exploration.

* Travel to the "Jump Point" which could be the first hint that they are actually going to try to stand up a second solar system in the game and try to use the single new wormhole as some kind of prop to sell "Exploration" gameplay. It'd basically be like exploring the tram from Ironforge to Stormwind.

* Supposedly it will be the "Pyro" system on the other side. Given how terminally poo poo they are at producing planets for these things, I wouldn't bet on it containing new assets produced in secret over the last year. Likely they will move Delamar there- they already pulled that planet out and away from the gas giant to kind of get it "Ready" for the move.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

It's important to note that absolutely none of this jump point or new system poo poo is on the roadmap, once again. Not that that really has any bearing on whether or not they were working on it, but it amuses me that they continually obfuscate what they're actually doing. Chris's insistence on having some big "Wow" moment at the cons completely fucks the public scheduling.

Citizens are going to herald this as the big change that finally makes Star Citizen a real game, forgetting that CIG already said they'd be limited to what, 3 systems at launch? This is probably as big as the game world's going to get. The second it can play stably for more than a couple hours Chris is going to start eyeing the "Final release" button, you idiots.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

trucutru posted:

You absolute imbecile, you moron, don't you know anything about Star Citizen?

https://starcitizen.tools/Pisces

You bear-loving fudster.

God, they're seriously adding a fourth snub fighter?

What is even the point of these loving things? Fighters that have to be transported by another ship- in a game where you still can't transport fighters in another ship. Brilliant!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

skeletors_condom posted:

Plz share the JPEGs.

I didn't save them, they were just screencaps of a file unpack that had a bunch of waypoints and scripts with revealing names.

Meanwhile in other dev shops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G28MzVADeeI

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Bubbacub posted:

Eh, it's probably a way to appease people who are dreaming about functional docking mechanics. If it fits into some kind of special docking socket with a scripted animation, then they can claim to have working hangars.

Could be.

On the other hand, the Constellation ship has had a snub fighter docked into its' rear end with a custom docking collar for seven years and they still haven't gotten around to making it detachable. So, it's possible that they aren't competent enough to do that.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

trucutru posted:

So, like half the post in the r/starcitizen sub are about the newest "caudillo" helmet that has just been released. Like, whoa! so cool.

Also, lol:

Hey! The 890 is the fastest ship. Who could have guesasfas434ejskfldsf

To the person asking about the data-runner ship earlier- it's the Herald on there, fifth row.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Lnding sccsfl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOE_s2mCbWc&feature=youtu.be

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Oh good it's time for another summary of

INSIDE STAR CITIZEN

The show where a bunch of flop-sweating idiots desperately scrape the bottom of the barrel to portray trivial crap as serious development milestones! This week's episode: holes in the ground!

Summary:
* Jared is talking, skip skip skip
* "Designers use those tools to create... traversible layers, suitable for a variety of gameplay needs." Maps. You meant to say "maps." You are making video game maps.
* They're interviewing the german devs in front of what is clearly a green screen, with a picture of their development office plastered on it. What the gently caress? Did they lose the office?
* We're talking about caves again today. We talked about caves before, but we're also talking about them again now. We will talk about caves more in the future. Caves are critical to the development of our spaceship game. This is not at all a reflection of how Cryengine basically sucks poo poo at anything that isn't regular FPS levels.
* The caves have lighting. Nobody cares.
* They've modeled pieces of rock to make the caves with. Literally nobody cares. Every video game for 30 years has had caves.
* They've unironically used procedural and fidelity multiple times. All they're showing is just loving rocks. This is the worst.
* Shocker, there will be random NPCshit in the caves. Explore and survive! Your ankles are going to break in the first 30 seconds.
* They realized that uniform grey rocks were impossible to navigate so they painted surfaces with lichen, i.e. bright yellow patches, to "Lead the player towards the navigatable path," just like every other loving video game ever.
* Is Star Citizen even about anything anymore? Is it just about keeping a bunch of video game designers permanently employed? Next year they're going to be doing sewer levels.
* There will be mining in these caves. FPS mining, in a cave, in the spaceship game.
* Oh my god every segment of this loving video is just about caves. The next segment is about atmosphere and lighting in the caves. gently caress this.
* Did you know that caves are pretty dark?
* They decided to add some bioluminescent plants to make the caves look nicer. Nobody's ever had this thought before.
* OH GOOD NOW WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THE SOUNDSCAPE OF THE CAVES
* I can't. I just can't.
* Star Citizen is a complete fraud. Nobody asked for this. Nobody is excited about this. None of the fundamentals of the game work. This should have been a feature for your like, third MMO expansion, after you'd solved everything else. Instead it's the total focus of like half your loving company because you are so god drat incompetent that you literally cannot develop anything but the most basic features that CryEngine already provides to you.
* Then you round those incredibly meagre scraps up and try to fluff them into multiple sixteen-minute videos and it's so transparent that you have nothing, nothing that could even be considered a functional game mechanic. You're just frittering away your time and ours, pissing out money until this whole thing collapses.
* gently caress this show, gently caress Star Citizen, gently caress you for reading this. I'm out.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

We are all hosed on this blessed day

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Earwicker posted:

ive been very occasionally following this thing for years and at this point im convinced its a money laundering operation involving freemasons and the banco ambrosia

Swedish mafia, actually

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Pull quote from that old article:

The Article posted:

<we've already established at this point that Gizmondo was a scam run by mobsters and crooked executives, founded by a used car salesman- sound familiar?>
And that, theoretically should be that. But the truth is stranger than fiction. Several years later, Chris Roberts would employ a company known as Cubic Motion to do motion capture work on Star Citizenís single player module, Squadron 42. The CFO of Cubic Motion is Simon Elms, formerly of Warthog games, which was bought by Gizmondo in 2005. Elms also worked with Chris Roberts on Starlancer in 2000. In addition, several other Star Citizen employees worked for both Gizmondo and Roberts. Nick Elms was an Art Director on Starlancer, which Chris Roberts produced. He later went on to work on Gizmondo titles that were never released. Currently, he works for CIG Manchester as a lead on story content in Squadron 42. Star Citizen Executive producer Erin Roberts was the studio manager for Warthog games and continued that role in developing titles for Gizmondo. He has also been a collaborator with Chris Roberts since Wing Commander was released. Derek Senior, formally of Warthog, is now a lead developer on story content since 2013.

But Gizmondo went bankrupt in 2006, whatís the big deal? Well, you might recall that there was some $200 million that went to defunct companies or companies that didnít exist. In addition to Simon Elms being a financial director for Gizmondo after Warthog studios were acquired, he was also a director of a company called Virtual Poker Limited. The Gizmondo itself was only released with a handful of titles with more that were said to be in development, including casino and poker games. These were never released, nor were any screenshots seen. It is possible Virtual Poker Limited was one of these companies. It gets stranger, since 2006 was not the last gasp of the Gizmondo.

TLDR:
Chris Roberts' brother, lead story director, lead story developer, and the head of the motion capture studio he used to work with were all directly involved at an executive level in one of the most corrupt video game companies ever formed. They almost certainly embezzled money from it.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Mr Fronts posted:

Just you wait until Vehicle HUD v4 goes live. Then you'll see, you dirty hater.

Listen, lad. I built this kingdom up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was swamp. Other kings said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So, I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one... stayed up! And that's what you're gonna get, lad: the strongest castle in these islands.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Der Shovel posted:

I'm currently working as a research programmer at a university. Basically this means that when researchers need some software made for their projects, I help them make it, or just outright make it myself.

Recently I've been working on VR stuff as part of a project that studies player experiences in VR, and the various factors that negatively or positively affect it (basically what will come out of this will be a set of guidelines for what to do and what not to do if you want to make a fun, playable VR experience).

One of the very central "underline this poo poo three times so you don't forget" concepts is that you should be VERY careful about taking vision control away from the player. Don't do canned animations where the player's field of view is manipulated by the game and ignoring the player's actual head position, because that's a Autobahn speed shortcut to vomit city.

I bring this up in the Star Citizen thread because cultists insist that VR support is coming and it will just be a case of ... I dunno, refactoring the graphics pipeline full stack backend occlusion containers to V2.1, or whatever the gently caress, and then CIG can put "vr-support = 1" into the config files and away we go.

It's hilarious to think how miserable playing Star Citizen in VR would be. You need fast, steady framerates (90+ minimum, for two independent displays basically), you need to consider FoV and design your entire UI around VR. Even if CIG somehow did that, crobbert's genius "drunken sailor headbob, first person motion captured cinematic loving looks around my plane's cockpit before I take off" is just fundamentally incompatible with how VR games work.

You have an extremely cool job

Yeah the VR thing has been known to be b.s. for literal years now. People have wedged the game into VorpX but it fundamentally doesn't support freelook modes- even trackIR support is lacking because headlook and not sitting in a cockpit just don't go well together. Chris basically stopped bringing up or considering VR around 2015 but the devs will still pretend like it's being worked on when whales ask them- this is yet another sign that they are willing to lie on camera about things.

Ironically of course, Elite not only does VR extremely well but is so good in it that it's practically a flagship title for PCVR at this point.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I like yours a lot better

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sometimes you just gotta let your children leave the nest, man. Never thought I'd see the day.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

It looks so good until the very first moment the ships have to interact with anything

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

skeletors_condom posted:

That's awesome! Check out the weird laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWLVI_mnn2I#t=143s

Bonus:

God yes put it directly into my veins. Every once in a while someone from outside the cult actually gets suckered into trying the game and this is always the kind of experience they report. How can you have an obscure un-marketable game that's been around for nearly a decade, where this is the new player experience, and still be reporting incredibly player and income growth? You'll have to ask Chris- he's the only one who knows the secret.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Meanwhile over in space games that have been in development for like 2 years with a team of maybe a dozen people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-U2kuJKlak

I just wish those guys understood game development

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Turns out the flight model isn't broken after all. Chris was just building the next Tokyo Drift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndsC-HaSc1U

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I don't know why you're all ripping on this. It looks like a perfectly good implementation of mining, and it's pretty impressive for a small team that's only been working toward release for a couple of weeks. I mean, this is their third ever video- what did you expect them to show, a fully functioning economy? That sort of stuff takes time. Give them at least a half a year before you start making GBS threads on their ideas, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Alright with the weekly video release it's time for another

Inside Star Citizen Summary!

The post where I painstakingly descend into the cavernous maw of CIG's bullshit and bring back little nuggets of precious infotainment for you. Let's begin:

* Jared is talking, skip skip skip
* "<The new mechanic will> expand the current capabilities of our asteroids, plant life, and multi-tools, already in game." I can't believe they say this stuff without batting an eye.
* All the Citizens bitching about cave brightness got their way, caves are way loving dark now.
* Looks like you get the mining tool through some more exciting shopping and inventory management gameplay. Love it, love it.
* Ship mining and FPS mining are mutually exclusive, completely separate systems, that were definitely planned to be that way from the very start. Having two independent ways of doing the same thing, at different scales, and trying to balance both of them in the same economy is a very good idea and not at all a sign that they can't get spaceship stuff to work reliably.
* Step one of mining: scour the nearly-infinite surface of planets until you see a tiny pile of detailed rubble that denotes a cave. There are no HUD markers and the dev clearly just teleported his ship to one. No problems here.
* Step two: enter pitch black cave without breaking your ankles or having an exertion induced heart attack
* Step three: find a mineable rock in the pitch black cave. It looks like all the other rocks but it has small blue lines on it. There are no HUD markers. Looking great so far.
* Step four: just carry the loving rock out. Haha no, of course not. Laser it apart with a minigame and then individually grab each one into your hand, then select it in your hand and click 'Stow." We're cooking with gas now.
* Your rock inventory is digital and not represented on your person. That's a ridiculous idea. Who the gently caress ever thought we'd represent everything on your person?
* You can sell FPS mined rocks directly to the guy at the station. You do not need to refine them like you do with the big mining ship. In the video they sell for 10-15 credits per rock that you hand-picked from the ground. You would need to sell 500 hand-picked rocks to get the credits of a single space combat mission. You would need to sell something like 200,000 hand-picked rocks to earn a space ship.
* All of this is tier zero so you can't criticize it. Obviously we're going to keep developing this. It's definitely not going out the door as-is and then no dev or player will even acknowledge that it exists after the initial victory laps.
* other stuff:
* Caves have random poo poo just laying on the ground and you can harvest... plants? And sell them? This is "Exploration" gameplay. For every single instance he shows, the spaceman has to pick the fruit or item up into his hand and examine it in the exact same way. I would go insane within an hour.
* Now we're talking about the "Sounds of mining." I'm skipping all of this segment. Mining sounds exactly like you would expect.
* Oops that was it, show's over.