Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

While we're here, a quick reminder about the rules: In addition to the STANDARD FORUM RULES, some other rules apply for this thread:

Beet Wagon posted:

• Please keep your posts work-safe: If you absolutely must share a picture of a man in a darth vader helmet having sex with a virtual spaceship for some insane reason, please link the image (do not embed) with a very clear warning that it is not safe for work! :nws:

• Please don’t be a creep: It’s okay to mock a kickstarter creator who has no experience making an MMO for example, but it’s extremely not okay to mock a kickstarter creator because you dug through their Instagram and think their Thanksgiving dinner looks bad.

• If you see something, say something: If you see a post that’s needlessly hostile or creepy or breaks one of the other forum rules, report it and move on.

• Special quoting rule: If you're going to post quotes from offsite forums like reddit, please use the text quote function and omit the poster's name. This should cut down on Personal Forums Enemy poo poo and keep everyone out of trouble.

Also, please take a moment to consider this:

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hav posted:

There was a cosplay competition in the early days, iirc, and bunnyman was an entrant. Also the kid in the full face black tracksuit.

Edit: i prefer the image in gold.

This guy? This was not a costume contest lol this dude literally posted on Spectrum and Reddit asking whether or not Star Citizen needed a "Dark Knight" to protect it from Derek Smart and the goons (y'know, by murdering them).

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:reddit: posted:

OG card-carrying Kickstarter backer here.

One week after I backed SC I met the woman of my life and told her about this game ( more likely gushed about it).

Since then I have dropped out of college, worked in 6 different companies (one of then turned out to be a pyramid scheme), moved houses twice, built three computers and had 5 GPUs, got married (5 years now), learned woodworking, adopted three dogs, started a business, went back to college, started volunteering, won the lottery and I am one semester away from a law degree.

A lifetime has passed and the one constant thing is my wife finding new, elaborate and unnexpected ways to tease me over "that space game that you will never play".

Edit: her latest one. "What's a three month delay for never?"

"What's a three month delay for never?" holy gently caress

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

also lol if you do bad stuff you're gonna have to wait in jail or play a prison minigame

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

skeletors_condom posted:

One notion presented in this thread that I strongly disagree with is the idea that some SC fanboys lean alt-right.

All in all, I would say they are just nerds. They don't support the ethno-state or "peaceful ethnic cleansing," they are more about a faux-great Gatsby spaceship and some marketing talking points about immersion and fidelity. Alt-righters (even ones who play video games) aren't about that.

You mean besides the dude who called everyone slurs on his video game blog and the other dude with 88 in his name that also just happens to be really mad at the Jews for doing "cultural marxism" right?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Pixelate posted:

Sales surge is over on the sub. Back to bugs...

e: oh wait, I tell a lie. Here's luxury space wheel vorpex guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExEdnRHg4Wo

It's absolutely wild how lovely their city planet looks. All that work to make it happen and it looks like something out of Grand Theft Auto 3. Shame.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

monkeytek posted:

Exactly how much of this world spanning city can you actually interact with?

There are a handful of landing zones you can go to (the only noteworthy one being Area 18) and literally everywhere else on the planet is blocked off by a big red exclusion zone that shows up if you get too close and kills you if you go past it. That's it lol.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

That's what I love about Star Citizen. I get older but the game stays the same age.

:vince:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dementropy posted:

Star Citizen? We Don't Know Yet.

Kinda seems like they should have gone with loading screens tbh, since they basically have de facto loading screens what with their 20 minute travel times.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

If I had gotten more enjoyment out of Star Citizen than any other game I had ever played, I'd probably quit videogames altogether tbh.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

wow this looks incredibly fun and not at all like the engine is making GBS threads itself inside out trying to make it happen great work everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ud7DARg1HI

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

trucutru posted:

Has there ever a single video of a commando walking on the underside of a ship? If what I think they did to hack their physics system is true then it shouldn't be possible.

No, you can't walk on the underside of your ship. I don't remember if you could at one point during the brief time they had "mag boots" in the game (did they actually have those in the game or am I misremembering?) but it basically works just like the big flat landing pads on Olisar: if you try to walk on the underside you just bounce around with your nipple jets.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

So all the doxing, fabricated refunds, video reviews, glassdoor reviews, creating multiple accounts through several forums to spread the fud goes all under the "making fun" rug and not into the maniac obsessive disorder all while being mad at Chris Roberts for "absolving" himself for breaking your heart lol

Right.

Can't believe people would make funny videos about a bad game what the heck

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

just call them idiots and move on lol who cares

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

colonelwest posted:

Who told them about our top secret anti-Star Citizen Discord?!

Looks like we need another round of purges. I'll convene the Central Committee at once!

We have a discord? Neat!

SoftNum posted:

Please don't buy into this scam. Seriously. There's likely to be a free fly weekend soon (there usually is around citcon). Go watch one of Beet's unedited playthroughs. There's not even a game here to laugh at. All the poo poo you see, good or bad, is heavily edited to when the game, the server, the phase of the moon and whatever the hell else align to bring you 20 minutes of uninterrupted model viewing.

This is a completely joke free chunk of gameplay here please don't watch it, it will boil your brain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K60JDwpVgvw

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lol any "How I would save Star Citizen" post that doesn't start out with "throw procedural planets in the loving bin, immediately" is wrong.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Spiderdrake posted:

Hey Beet can you do mod stuff in games or is that not cool?

I can't remember if I PM'd you.

Also I think some procgen stuff would be cool, like moons and other bland poo poo, then go over it and add stuff. I think Star Flight was procgen, and that's a good game!

Yeah I have buttons here. I don't have a PM from you though so if you need me to do a thing let me know.

The procgen stuff is cool, but the problem is the way they're doing it is creating more work than they could possibly hope to complete. They should go back to the idea of having one or two bespoke landing zones on a planet, and then work out from there after the game is in a better space.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

When was the last time they even had a booth at PAX, like 2014? lol

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What happens when you die, anyway? Do you wake up in a wank tube an hours' travel away, or is there any sort of nearby respawn system?

There's some sort of proximity thing, so if you land in their big dumb city and then go fly around and die you respawn there, or at least you used to. It was how people were getting stuck in the city, unable to leave. They game would crash before they got far enough away to wake up at Olisar (where you wake up the other 90% of the time that you're not near enough to one of the two cities to respawn there).

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Moving the Star Citizen thread back to games was worth it just for the Eonwe drive-by posts tbh

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

No Mods No Masters posted:

I can’t believe they actually made a new star marine map. I’m assuming that one streamer who played it gave up long ago, reducing the player count to actual 0

Of all the loving things they could have added here, at the hour in which even their fans are getting mad, I absolutely would not have picked "instanced map for the bad FPS game mode" lol, much less one that bears a striking resemblance to parts of the Titanfall 2 map 'Complex.' What on Earth would possess you to devote even a moment's worth of effort to this???

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Armadillo Tank posted:

This map is likely a sq42 derivative. Maybe asteroid caves or something. Have they done anything patchwise to star marine before this recently?

It's uhhh this place

Wait sorry no that's from a different game. It's this place:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Daztek posted:

Excited for Star Marine to get wallrunning

love too call down my titan and have it clip through the level geometry and explode.

lol seriously though how can anyone look at this and not just immediately start laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNNDl2usOoQ

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tank Boy Ken posted:

1 in 1.000 within 20 hours. Or 1,000

:argh:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

Only two buggy options for starter players.

More options for Pay2Win players.

Also lol if it weren't for CIG giving Mustang owners loaner Auroras they'd only be able to do one type, since you can't actually put a box in them.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

You kinda answered your own question: it has been five years.

The only people still putting money into this black hole are either new folks who have never heard about the game before today or people who have been around so long that the only option they have is to either A) keep supporting the dream (remember this will revolutionize gaming!) or B) admit that they spent the last five years getting conned.

Option A is - for many people - much easier.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I took 2 days a week of 4 hours of play over 4 weeks to upgrade from an Aurora MR to an LN a few patches back. That was when you could make upwards of 100k an hour being super efficient.

lol 32 hours of gameplay to upgrade from this:

to this:

That's a $10 upgrade if you do it with real cash. This is good for Star Citizen.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

WHO'S THAT POKEMON

spoiler: It is Crobbor, the vaporware pokemon!

I can’t wait for today’s reveal of absolutely no new information followed by 50 poorly photoshopped jokes.
Followed by 2 years of absolutely no information about the ship and when it will be released. Another ship added to the BMM pile collecting dust

People are annoyed that it's been dragged out for so long. It's not even a cool or fun teaser either. Just a picture being slowly revealed.

The marketing is painful. Y'all could've provided some sort of information or a story or something - the way you've done it has killed any interest in the actual ship.

I don't even care what the ship is at this point; I'm more interested in seeing the inevitable "sorry for the poo poo marketing" comment from Jared.

e: holy poo poo lol I should have capped this earlier

This is a CIG employee lol

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 24, 2019

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

Personally I like Starcraft where SC is cowboys in space and Brood War is red october in space. (we don't talk about SC2)

Man, the original SC/BW had such a cool atmosphere. I replay the originals once every couple years and it's surprising how much it still holds up even outside of my insane nostalgia. Can't believe they set that all aside for "Every race has a Space Jesus" poo poo in the sequel(s)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

~ METZEN ~

I am seriously still angry (if you can't tell from my last post) about the SC2 campaign.

SC's world and atmosphere were really good. It was a proper war drama. All the factions did bad poo poo, all the factions had flaws and villains, people loving died, and it was exciting and believable.

Then SC2 is just like a goddamn high school soap opera plot.

One of the biggest changes was how small the "universe" felt in the second one. The first one was written in a way that made you feel like something of a bit player in events, even though you were in charge of some "big" heroes or whatever. It felt like you were a small cog in a huge machine that just happened to pull through and save the day. By SC2 the game is more about the hero characters than anything else, and it loving sucks. It's hard to describe but it's sorta the same problem retail WoW has for a lot of people.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lacklustre Hero posted:

I've started following Star Citizen a bit lately as it seems like a funny train wreck and was wondering - what can you actually do in this "game"? Like I've seen videos of people running around and shooting at squares in outer space, and there's talk of missions, but how does this translate to shills applauding a sense of discovery and emergent gameplay? Do I just lack appreciation and vision?

Basically. There are like 11 mostly-empty moons/planets to land on, two big space stations and a handful of small ones or rest stops. There are a couple main mission types:
  • Trading - fill your ship with poo poo, fly somewhere, sell it
  • Box delivery - this is basically trading, except usually you're tasked with going somewhere to find a specific box of crap
  • Space shooty stuff - fly your plane, shoot the bad guys
  • Ground shooty stuff - Find a mostly-empty bunker, gun down the nonresponsive AI inside
  • Weird story missions - there are a few like narrative missions where you have to go investigate a missing person in an empty space station or whatever.

Beyond that there's mining which is just trading with an insanely boring extra step. Mostly what you do in Star Citizen is fly through an empty map, desperately trying to find something even remotely interesting to do, which is why Rexzilla's ebic 50 person PVP jankfests have gained as much traction as they have.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Maybe uh... maybe having two completely conflicting "world record" entries is a sign that the guinness book of world records isn't exactly a trustworthy source.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Thom12255 posted:

If pretty much all of SQ42 got thrown out, does that include most of the 'scenes' the actors mocapped all those years ago? Was all that money wasted?

Pretty sure those have been reshot at least a couple times. There was a period in 2017-2018 where every update included something along the lines of "Chris was back in the studio this week shooting more mocap!"

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

I’ve seen the commandos spout a lot of goofy poo poo (shout out Mirf!), but this history of violence thing is new to me. Is there an origin story for that or has toojie finally had a complete psychotic break?

Gonna go murder the pope now. Back soon.

I'm guessing he doxxed someone and found their arrest record or something. Because that's a very normal thing to do and one poster definitely represents us all, obviously.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The thing with the whole "You guys are bad!"/"No, you guys are bad!!" bit is that Star Citizen is specifically designed to appeal to 30/40-something year old dorks with a long internet history. There's no real differentiation between most fans and 'haters' other than how they feel about Star Citizen. It's a shared pool, so if you find someone who did something bad on 'one side' it's perfectly likely that if you go back far enough they either A) used to be in the other group, or B) have accounts all over the internet.

The pedo dude is a good example. Is he a goon because he had an account here? Or is he a star citizen fan because he had unwavering support for the project and competed in their ship contest thing? The answer pretty much depends on which subpopulation you're trying to assign blame to.

e: between most fans and 'haters' I should say. The drama surrounding Star Citizen has exceeded its initial audience and drawn in tons of other people who may not have ever actually had a stake in the game.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 24, 2019

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lol this thing being the only ship that can do quantum interdiction is amazing. It almost makes me want to get one because griefing somebody 10 minutes into their 15 minute travel is loving :discourse:

Too bad it'll be broken as gently caress.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

monkeytek posted:

Let me guess it will still be slower than all of the whale ships so totally useless, unless you know the whales pathing ahead of time.

Based on skimming that fawning Newsweek article (lol) it seems like its gonna be seriously undergunned but tbh you can pull people out of quantum in a 10,000-20,000 meter sphere and it's entirely passive (it charges up and deploys, like the EMP) so your victims cant do anything about it aside from find you and kill you. Its gonna be a nightmare lol.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Also loling at the complete lack of any attempt to hide the paid promotion from newsweek

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

quote:

The 20-30 km Quantum Snare range passes in 0.0004 seconds with a 50,000 km/sec quantum drive.
Will it be possible to scan the quantum effect of the approaching vessel within millions of kilometers to allow the Quantum Snare to operate at the desired moment?
(Quantum Drive 10 seconds past 500,000 km)

Lol it ain't even out yet and its worthless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I stand corrected. It is (maybe) not broken yet lol.