Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Engine change confirmed! And it only took 2 days, as prophesied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

jesus christ how broke is your brain if you keep up with and talk about this dumb loving game. and no, you aren't doing it "ironically"

People still talk about whether or not people are doing things "ironically"? Chris Roberts was right - we never left the 1990s. Star Citizen is good!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Hazamuth posted:

Back in jpg business, baby!

And this is just Tier-0.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I said come in! posted:

This is from the movie Serenity, in case anyone is curious. Joss Whedon is the director, so it has its usual all women are objects for the men to use, but otherwise it's a solid fun sci-fi movie.

What else do you think the "personal commodity inventory" is intended for?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Tippis posted:

More likely that security will follow you around and throw out anyone who says anything positive.
Might as well clear out the unsound elements before they cause problems.

They could hire the same security team that chased CIG from room to room at Gamescom.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Hazamuth posted:

It seems to me like that is a tier 1 hairy roberts, whereas tier 0 would be a potato and a peach on top of some sand.

I'm sorry, we're out of potatoes. Perhaps you'd like to pledge for a minelayer?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Quavers posted:

:toot: New space ship available for everyone to buy :shepspends:

Just $890! (Game not included*.)

*Or designed

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Ashrik posted:

I've been trying to get into The Universe (?) and I'm stuck on a loading screen for Stanton Station (?) for maybe 5 minutes now.

You're not stuck, you're immersed. If and when the game finally loads, and/or perhaps works, or does not, you're in for a Tier-0 treat.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

"I'm not a ship." Holy poo poo, CIG finally said something true, albeit by accident. Also LMAO at calling anything their backers are doing a "lifestyle."

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

>good at exploring

there's nothing to explore

It goes so much deeper, though. To even say "good at exploring" carries with it such implications, like a second bed. Not only the existence of something to explore (which, as you stated, there is not) but the existence of the very concept of exploration, and accompanying game mechanics for same. What does "exploration" even mean? Pretend CIG has things to explore. (Stop laughing.) If another player gets there first is it considered "explored?" Is it like No Man's Sky where you can name it? Does it fill in part of a map that used to be blank? Is this map local to the user, shared to everyone, or can you sell the cartographic data to other players so they know the lay of the land that you mapped out for them? I'm sure the Crobbler would prefer the third idea, but I just did more work than they have in 8 years in thinking about any of this, and absolutely none of this exists in the game in any form. So to say the ship is "good at exploration" is borderline fraud.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Tenzarin posted:

Do you have to buy insurance for your ship? If it dies does it explode for good? Why are they including 72 months of insurance for a video game space ship?

Because goons destroyed Star Citizen backers long ago in EVE, and EVE has a mechanic called "insurance," so they capitalized on GoonFear™ by announcing "insurance" with zero description or explanation of its mechanics or purposes, knowing full well backers would project their insecurities and needs onto the nonexistent mechanic and assign it an appropriate value.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Popete posted:

CIG is at least aware enough of how broken their game is right now that insurance doesn't actually matter cause you can just respawn your ship an unlimited number of times. But in the future once everything is working they'll switch insurance on and you better have it then or you'll be sorry!

And if you don't, your entire $27000 fleet is gone with no chance of recovery! Right, CIG? Certainly that must be your plan, right? Otherwise what good is insurance? Blow up those $1000 chariots permanently, CIG. DO IT.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

MarcusSA posted:

*not in game** yet.

**also no game yet

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Snazzy Frocks posted:

my advice for this thread is to keep it more about the game and less about the private individuals supporting the game. things get weird when you start examining peoples personal lives and choices and mock that stuff instead of the bad game

This is solid advice, but occasionally you can expect an exception to this rule (as long as it doesn't cross the line into creepy) because the private individuals supporting the "game" are the answer to the oft-asked question: "HOW is this scam still running after all these years?" They're two sides of the same dysfunctional coin. Remember there's no game here to mock: it's a cargo cult feeding off a literal cult.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Just got my first warning by security staff for talking about star citizen at dreamhack

gently caress the police

That wasn't security - that was a real-life manifestation of subsumption AI coded by Chris Roberts himself, which he could do much faster than his employees, and he absolves himself of that.

You got a warning because even in real life no Star Citizen code works.

Stay frosty, commando. You're surrounded by Derek Smarts but the good word of the hot bear must be heard.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

You know reading that poo poo, and just having it reinforced repeatedly how much of a dumb, talentless gently caress Chris Roberts is, makes me think someone there - maybe not the rank and file - but someone is getting paid more than industry standard. There's no way any self-respecting professional would work under that moron. Maybe the everyday dudes get under industry to be "OMG I'M IN THE GAMES INDUSTRY !!11" but the actual pros (the few remaining)... they're pockets must be getting lined, or some other less immediately tangible benefit. I can't imagine any other impetus for working with him.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Solarin posted:

My hopes for this thread:

-more fyad concern trolling
-less weird reddit post history mining
-frequent games posters coming in angry that this thread exists and is constantly on the first page
-more bear
-:pgabz:

e:

-poo poo tons of frivolous reporting of posters itt

:agreed:

The Reddit reposts are the only posts I skip. The posts from the people here are almost always fun to read. Reddit posts are never, ever good. Reddit reposts are like turds floating in an otherwise enjoyable swimming pool.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Look, would you really rather see Spectrum reposts?

I'll meet you in the middle: I'll read Spectrum posts, but only from B'Tak.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

trucutru posted:

A sad commando posted:

This is my favourite image from the commercial. It just shows how far we’ve come. The gas clouds outside the window, the perfect lighting setting the mood inside the ship with small candles on the table. The animations which are so good, just look at how the woman turns, looks down for a split second and then up again, it looks so real and fantastic. The narration and music in this scene also hits it out of the park. It just brings emotion.

I have absolute faith after this scene and commercial that S42 is going to be so special and the PU in the future is gonna be something else. 7 years ago I backed and it’s been a long road so far, one I’ve enjoyed almost every step of the way, and this 890 commercial showed me how far we’ve come. It almost brought me to tears.
Get help, commando. What you are saying and thinking are not normal. Please find a doctor and obtain whatever appropriate medication or other treatment you need.

Star Citizen: Not Just a Game; A Diagnosis

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Agony Aunt posted:

Does someone have the heart to tell that guy that none of that is actual in game footage? At best its using parts of the engine and assets to make a FMV, worst case they just rendered the lot without even using any part of the engine.

It won't be me cutting the rope that guy's dangling from. Not once, but twice, he said "how far we've come." Commando, there is no "we." There is "Chris Roberts", the scammer, and "you", the scammed. You're watching a fake commercial from a fake game company advertising a fake ship showing a fake lifestyle that you'd be wildly unsuited for even if it were all real.

This has been going on for years now and that paragraph might be the most depressing thing I've ever read, and it's ten times as depressing because the guy who wrote it genuinely wouldn't understand what's wrong with what he wrote. This is sad turtles all the way down.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Drunk Theory posted:

Look they promised 100 systems....but not at the same time. Checkmate. FUD Goons.

Did they ever specify they were in-game star systems? Because if not, LMAO at Tier-0 systems like mining and bartender AI being the aforementioned 100 systems.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

In this case Star Citizen may have saved that woman from her husband before they tied the knot.

Did she say no?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

trucutru posted:

Nah, they will just double down and blame all the fuckers (Derek, Us, Forbes, Casuals, Epic, The Jews, Cryware, that one gently caress that fell from his bike, etc) for it. If only more people were as smart and forward-looking as them then we would have the best game ever, but nooooooo, those salty jealous subhumans had to ruin it for us.

Besides, it was worth every penny.

Then again, just being able to point and blame won't fix the fact that their money is gone, their game doesn't exist, and they've ruined their real life relationships in pursuit of it. Some blaming will be cathartic, I agree, but it won't patch every wound for some of the most deeply damaged.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Wise Learned Man posted:

SC has already ruined a bunch of marriages at the very least, and I remember a true believer on the official forums back in the day who was mulling over selling the family farm so he could afford a "completionist* pack."

*did not contain a complete set of anything

http://www.unhappyfranchisee.com/amway-network-21/

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

trucutru posted:

The r/relationships thread is a good laugh when I am feeling down. It helps you realize that no matter how much of a gently caress up you are you could be doing much, much worse.

:agreed: It's almost a first-line treatment for depression. I always think "HOW can you dig yourself this deep into a hole!?! Is there a mistake you DIDN'T make? Is there even one time you didn't make the worst possible choice?"

Just like Star Citizen development. Makes you think.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Klyith posted:

Constant employment? Games is an industry that frequently is lovely to employees, and in a lot of places that includes knowing you're gonna get laid off when the current project is done. Or just when your parent megacorp has a bad quarter and wants to fire 500 people to juice their stock up. But if you work on star citizen it's as good as being in a union: you'll never be fired because the game will never ship!

Alternately, you're a dev with experience in cryengine and your options are a) take an entry level position in a studio that works with another engine while you re-train, b) chancy work for the type of fly-by-night companies that are using cryengine in 2019, or c) get on the star citizen gravy train.

But also any remaining "actual pros" will be in the UK office where they're mostly insulated from Crobbler, or in Frankfurt where they're even further away. Crobbler's personal domain in Santa monica is where you'd have to deal with the man himself. I get the impression that office is staffed entirely by "game designers", 3d spaceship modeling artists, and the guys who make videos every day talking about how amazing everything is going.

All this is probably true, maybe I'm being naive, but I'd think that the reason people get into the games industry in the first place, and endure the aforementioned bad treatment, is because they really want to make their mark on a product that one day will fall into a customer's hands. To have been part of something that actually materializes and that people will enjoy. The gravy train concept is true, but do game devs really get into the industry hoping to get an indefinite paycheck knowing they will have their work thrown out every few weeks for an imaginary product that will never release?

The newbies, sure, it gives them some experience, such as it is. But do the pros really want to be linked to this? To know their work is eternally circling the drain?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Akion posted:

I work in software development. Unless you are directly responsible for the failure of your project (and even then) nobody really gives a drat if it failed as long as you yourself can demonstrate competency.

Like, a modeler that made the pretty space ships in Star Citizen has a great body of work as it relates to his skills as a modeler, independent of whether or not the game ever gets done.

I didn't mean they couldn't find jobs - I just mean it's soul-crushing for your work to produce nothing, provide nothing, and amount to nothing other than a paycheck and the hopes of one day using the experience to get a job that matters.

It's like a chef who toils all day and every dish he creates is dumped directly into the garbage disposal. It doesn't mean he's a bad chef, nor does it mean the experience isn't useful, it just means that in the end that specific effort was useless. Maybe the experience helps him get a job where his work will be eaten and appreciated, but until he does, he's paying the bills, but finds no other fulfillment.

Such is life under the Crobbler.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Quavers posted:

:siren: More exploits found :toot:

I wonder how hard the devs laugh when one of their backers reports an "exploit" in their pre-alpha model-viewer app hacked to mimic the rudimentary functions of a space game. I'm sure all these things are very high on their list to "fix," right after they begin thinking about designing a game.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Pharohman777 posted:

Oh yeah, so Chris may either be on illegal drugs or he is the victim of a herbalife type mlm. In the 'luxury' dinner where he sold the minelayer, he told one of the whales there that he's using some sort of vitamin that perks him up and keeps him going, but he forgot the name of it.

It was so outrageous that one of the goons went through the trouble of determining if the person who posted that was a real star citizen backer or just a rando trolling.

Sandi worked for Herbalife, so the best salesperson since she was a very small girl is probably not only responsible for Chris's "you gotta try these pills," but also the MLM mind-control approach Star Citizen took on. Really, between Chris as godhead, Sandi knowing the ins and outs of psychological manipulation, Ben having a keen eye for what would hook the backers, and Ortwin knowing how to dodge the legal ramifications of the above, they really did put together a hell of a grift.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Spiderdrake posted:

You're doing that thing where you start rationalizing them as geniuses since they got you earlier in development

I will not deny it. But I'll say this: Chris deserves no credit, Ben did have some idea about ships, Sandi got involved after I dipped out. So I backed early probably based more on Ben's ideas than any other reason. I feel grief.

I still think the grift was an accident though.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Among the most depressing things about this tire fire is the sad knowledge that every time CIG comes up with another made-up term to excuse their ineptitude, I am crushed by the sickening and heartbreaking truth that the backers will begin to parrot it like the good little cult members they are. The most recent example I can think of was when CIG first used the term "Tier-0," and when I read that my heart sunk because I knew backers would grasp it like a drowning man and add it to their considerable excuse lexicon, and I think less than an hour passed before I saw the term used by the faithful.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah there's some sparks of above-average but it's all down to luck and accident. A happy convergence that carried people in the moment and has enough momentum to keep going.

At least you didn't do the "But you see, Chris has charisma" thing that people in the old thread would do.

LOL never. I backed despite Chris. I knew he was a tool, but very early on there were some promising demos and actual game devs involved. It basically looked and felt a bit like Freelancer 2013 so I figured what the gently caress, here's $45. I played the "fly out of an asteroid base" tutorial and it all worked first try (try to believe that seeing it today).

When the PU was announced I hopped in and immediately regretted everything, and saw what this actually was, and what it would eventually fail to become.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Gosts posted:

In unity, which is a simple engine compared to some other ones, you can literally type "[serializefield]" before a variable. Like, "[serializefield] private int myInt".

but i'm glad they finally found a way to put this technology into star engine. I'm sure that the unity team went to the future to steal this technology and go to the past.

I think you're onto the biggest truth behind Star Citizen - they did invent everything; that is, they will have invented it, but other game companies will steal it in the future, and then go back in time to pretend they invented the technology first, so it appears to people not in on the conspiracy that CIG actually just stole this tech and pretended to invent it. This will all be done/has already been done to make Chris Roberts look bad.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

I wouldn't say 100 %. You can see they start dropping the oldest stuff in favour of the new stuff - old backers are gone and/or dead and the rest is outvoted and silenced by newer backers - which will be outvoted in a year or two by even newer backers.

:rip: Jeffrey McArthur :(

One of the genuinely sad events tied to this debacle.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The difference between CIG and Rex is that CIG passively misrepresents the state of the game through carefully chosen wording which allows players to infer that the game has been in a playable state and filled with action you're missing out on. Rex actively misrepresents the state of the game by setting up all his virtual Barbie dolls in advance and then moving them around the model viewer with his completely normal team to make it look like they're playing a video game. His work ethic is impressive; it's like eating poo poo and calling it chocolate with every bite.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Agony Aunt posted:

That depends on whether Chris is going to sell another 10% of the company.

Considering he's only selling 10% of the valuation of the company, which somehow was over $400 million despite realistically being into negative numbers, the magic of Star Citizen is that Chris can sell "10%" as many times as he wants.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Gaming press: "They're crashing to the earth right in front of our eyes! One just clipped through the cockpit of another ship! This is terrible! ... Oh, the humanity! The ships are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement! The commandos are running for their lives!"

Star Citizen backers: "As God as my witness, I thought JPEGs could fly."

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1171176481734586369

The hashtags never, ever get old. What kind of actual game development company feels the need to put this poo poo after a tweet. "#gamedevelopment #videogames #gaming #gamedev" Jesus H Crobear you might as well go ahead and put #notascam in there while you're at it.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Popete posted:

SCs whole gimmick is pretending like there is a lot more going on than there actually is.

Succinct and accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Hav posted:

Yeah, but negotiating that in an alley is how you get stabbed.

Does the future eschew the use of phones?

No, you see, you can't trust the sub-ether network in the Space Future™ because of the risk of interception (as anyone who has watched a sci-fi program will tell you, decrypting encrypted communications is easy once you hack the first 3 firewalls). That's why CIG talked about "Data-Runner Ships" which you can use to transport important data the old-fashioned way. It is much more difficult to track a small ship through the vastness of space, unless of course you use a mine-layer ship with mines that have an incredible range of 10km which are sure to lay waste to your target, because in Star Citizen small ships are both difficult to track and great for running secret data but it's also a universe where it's very easy to predict the trajectory of an enemy target with sub-10km precision in advance.

I suppose you could use the mine-layer to protect important stationary data in a container in space which is a fantastic way to store sensitive data, as evidenced by the fact that Fort Knox keeps its valuables out in the open in the middle of nowhere with no guards and a handful of landmines around it. Those don't even have a 10km radius so that's another point for Star Citizen!

In conclusion, Star Citizen is a game of contrasts.

*Also in all the above examples the sensitive data winds up getting destroyed in the explosion, which is counter to every single reason you'd store the data in the first place. Unless of course in the first example the runner is transporting plans that will reveal a weakness in the secret base or possibly the location of a secret wormhole to Planet Base Alpha which is a completely original idea.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 10, 2019