Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

chaosapiant posted:

This thread made me curious and so I followed up to see what Dual Universe and Battlescape Infinity was like, but both look to be kinda just multiplayer games with a few other bells and whistles? B:I at least has some kind of offline exploratory mode. My dream game is one that combines the procgen base building poo poo and space legs with literally everything else in Elite: Dangerous.

DU - no-one knows cos of NDA, it's always seemed fishy to me.
B:I - Large scale "Battlefield 2" in space looks good however I'm in the beta tier, I couldn't not get the controls working on the free weekend. I get the feeling at the moment it's more cool engine given a minimal game over refined balanced gameplay at this stage.

I've been of the opinion Space Games are really hard to do well in the modern era. every attempt is critically flawed in someway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

quote:

/r/spaceshipinstagram

:five:

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

boviscopophobic posted:

New thread title

r/spaceshipinstagram doesn't exist
CREATE COMMUNITY
GO HOME

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

stingtwo posted:

Something I just noticed with rexzilla compared to other streamers, he isn't facing the screen straight on, it's always this angle facing towards the webcam, he is also bending in towards the mic whenever he talks.

Wasn't there some weird deal where was using a hugely expensive cinema class 4k movie camera as basically a webcam?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

Star Citizen

Now with persimmons. When I was a kid playing Tie Fighter or Elite I always thought, this is great, but one day i'll also be able to pick persimmons.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 27, 2019

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
dreams.txt

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

LuiCypher posted:

Ah, the Duke Nukem Forever model of development. X competing game has Y feature, so we need to tack on Y feature in order to be better and oh poo poo it broke all the code so it looks like we have to do it all over again but by God, we'll have it in our game - that way, no one can say that there's something Star Citizen can't do!

"More importantly, a cave has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a gamer (gamer: non-star citizen) discovers that a game has caves, he will automatically assume the game is also in possession of game-play loops, balance, coherent systems, tin of biscuits, actual flight model, compass, map, giant space worms, space news vans, economy, space suits etc., etc. Furthermore, the gamer will then happily believe that any of these or a dozen other items actually exist that the developer might accidentally have "refactored". What the gamer will think is that any developer who can show off caves the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his cave is is clearly a developer to be reckoned with.”

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

DigitalPenny posted:

Demon souls? Did he mean dark souls ?

Demon's Souls was a PS3 game basically the predecessor to the Dark Souls series.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

Why do they have such a stout man doing the mocap if he's meant to be a marine? Don't the position of those markers matter? SC is a game where all the characters are perfect specimins of humanity, so i would have thought for mocap purposes they would require the right body shape.... and, wouldn't they also need to do it all again for the female body as well, beceause, you know, hips and stuff are a tad different. Wasn't there an issue early on with the female model where they walked like men?

And why the hell do they insist on mocapping anyway? Its really restricts what anims you can have. You need to mocap every anim you want then.

Surely this is a SQ42 specific mo-cap.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
has anyone said fibbers yet?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Hazamuth posted:

House of the Dying Fun

Yes!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Trilobite posted:

It's a shame that Star Citizen is such a niche product, easily ignorable by the vast majority of internet denizens, because I think "Blobering" would be a good word to describe following topics around to every single comment thread just to post the same drooling, obsessive, relentless idiocy you posted in all of the other ones.

Poor ol' Blobby, forever denied his chance at true Internet Fame.

He's the anti KenM

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Planets are a trap for space games, they should be there as backdrops only once you add them as landable and traversable people start expecting them to be 1:1 Earths and you can just never fill them or you use procgen and everything feels the same.

I just think space games are really hard to do well, you get this uncanny valley effect where you can make these huge spaces that look real and you can go anywhere but the more expansive you make it do it the more apparent it is that it's all window dressing.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

no_recall posted:

ITS TIME FOR THE ANNUAL ShitizenConned 2019 Raffle!

Top 3 Prizes: a month of Humble Monthly!

SO. Lets get to it.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

Current Funding.
2019-11-19 $241,227,605

GUESS THE NUMBER ON THE FUNDING TRACKER BY 1st DEC.

GO.

p/s: Please quote this so I don't have an excuse accidentally exclude your participation.

e: Participation closes the minutes before the Con. Nov 23 1PM GMT. (or when the Stream Begins).

$255,328,603

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

TheAgent posted:

My old boss Brad McQuiad is dead at 51.
https://twitter.com/gamasutra/status/1197147582373302275
Kind of hard to believe, actually. While I disagreed with him a lot professionally, we both shared a lot of the same personal issues and struggles. Hope he's finally at peace.

my condolences.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Dogeh posted:

It was great.

Yeah remember those old Star Citizen LANs? Up all night eating pizza good times, really hope someone kick starts a spiritual successor someday.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
In the lycra clad cycling community, we call people that spend way too much money on very expensive over specced carbon fibre time trial bikes that they never use.. dentists.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Will there be a discord?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
They remade Crysis Wars?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I love how bag guy is somehow in the background of every shot

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Koil posted:

Citcon in 3 images:

This might be humanity's greatest achievement.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Golli posted:

If I recall, Not-Clarkson made his debut at around the same time as Real-Clarkson started the Amazon series Grand Tour and CIG was implying (but never actually claiming) some deeper relationship with Amazon surrounding Lumberyard.

They are masters at implying association.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Sankis posted:

I haven't tried it yet myself. People seemed to be having fun with it but I haven't heard much of it since.

I'm pretty done with early access as well. I get why it's often necessary but it seems like a monumental effort, especially with how steam is now, for an early access game to do anything but slowly suffocate from lack of people buying it past the initial early access launch.

Edit: plus, for me, the best case of an early access game is that I play a ton of it and burn out and never touch the 1.0

This game seems dead, it was very confusing to play on launch with no real way to tell what was going on. The interface was unintuitive, the combat seemed okay but you started noticing trends (getting spawn camped by pre-alpha people was one) and groups of players avoiding each other was another. I loaded it up the other day and there were 4 players on 4 different servers.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Dogeh posted:

Oh look, a spaceship with two Winnebagos.
Is he copying Spaceballs now?

Pledge now for Megamaid.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Sandepande posted:

If the roadmap is accurate or even somewhat close, they really don't have anything to show or talk about SQ48 (and it isn't bringing in any money - all the ships sold pledges made are for the PU).

SQ54 is what all the cool kids are calling it these days.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Everyone seems to be misspelling "procedural fried eggs."

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Popete posted:

The idea that players are going to come to your ship to purchase stuff during the couple hours you might be logged in at night and not just try and blow you up is already laughable.

This all feeds into the backers need to feel superior to those who have spent less. Buy a big luxury yacht so you can host grand parties were Citizens from across the universe come to celebrate you and your wealth! Buy a space trading outpost were Citizens far and wide will flock to buy wares.

What happens when CIG figures out how to have more than 50 people on a server and suddenly there are hundreds of space trading outpost ships in a single system. Whose gonna bother coming to your ship? Why not just head down to a planet or space station and buy from an NPC whose more reliably available? Why would another player or heck even one of their super savvy "quanta" come to your ship to buy marked up wares when they could just go buy those wares from the same source you did for less money?

To be honest the whole more than 50 people on an instance thing alone just seems very improbable.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Great, they finally reached the speed of light! Now it would only take around 4 hours to travel from Earth to Pluto!

0 time from the travellers perspective

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

That's part of the great Star Citizen Illusion, and the presumption of success that surrounds this project like a miasma of poo poo.

Real games, ones that have gameplay, don't generally bother with lore until they know the game works. Think the original Warcraft. "But why is this happening? gently caress it, toss something together." Over time once you know you can make a game, you can think of the lore earlier on and weave it in

If you're a company that makes RPGs primarily lore might be really early on, or done in tandem with game dev.

But for CIG having truckloads of "lore" is a way of proving that, like the other game development companies, of course a game will come out. Otherwise why go through all the trouble? Same can be said for literally everything surrounding this dumpster fire, from the cinematics to the mystery "LTI" cribbed from other games but which has no definition, "mining" which implies the existence of a nonexistent crafting and economy system, and pretty much every loving ship JPEG they've shat out for the better part of a decade.

And the morons still paying Chris take all this poo poo at face value, as if he can make it all happen, despite literal decades of accumulated contrary evidence.

The rumour with Warcraft is that it was going to be a Warhammer fantasy licenced game and Games Workshop pulled out so they redid the lore aspects.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Daztek posted:

What a twist. I guess as long as Squadron 42 isn't released, there isn't a reason to sue them lol

cue victory laps.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
SQ2020 engine change and Epic Games release please.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

his nibs posted:

Are there any plans?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
My opinion is space games are hard to do well, just huge expanses you have to try fill with content and no way to artificially limit the players that won't feel contrived and MP just adds more problems.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

It was a magical time, to be sure. It wasn't just Sandi though; each member of the Dysfunction Squad had their own flavour and added something to the poo poo mix.

Sandi was a wildly inappropriate character who clearly gave less than two shits about Chris and his project, and was openly using him and the money to catapult her untalented rear end into Hollywood. The fact that her every attempt fell flat was the consistent character arc that kept the laughs coming. The transparency of her contempt for others, while she herself had nothing to be proud of, made this the best character she's ever likely to play, and the one she'll most be remembered for.

Chris was more or less the main character, an unprecedentedly inept figure whose self-confidence in his ability to do the impossible was only matched by his absolute inability to accomplish the mundane. His fumbling, bumbling, and stumbling rear end lurching around the stage while waving his arms around and spitting into cakes illustrated an incredible contrast between the image he believed he was projecting, and the one people actually saw. The visionary with no ideas, Chris represented the opposite of the hero's journey: a guy who sees himself as an underdog succeeding against all odds, while the actual events are him failing spectacularly at progressively simpler endeavors, eventually ending with him having accomplished nothing at all.

Ben rounded out the cast literally and metaphorically; the ascended fanboy forced to meet his hero. Health issues and creepy websites aside, Ben was playing the closest part to the "only sane man" in the cast, the role that Lando thought he was playing. His focus remained on the game and on the ships; his departure (or dismissal) occurred around the same time focus on the game had begun to diffuse out of control with land claims, tanks, and everything else including the procedural kitchen sink. His subsequent comment about another company making a Wing Commander sequel pretty much tells us everything we needed to know about his confidence in Chris. Ben's departure was when the show jumped the shark.

Lando was the show's Scrappy Doo, a character with undue focus and seeming ubiquity, who reveled in hamming up each and every appearance but who ultimately merely irritated the audience. Switching between sycophant, critic, troll, and supporter within moments and seemingly at random, this character was one the show most probably could have done without. That said, he still provided a few moments of humour here and there, but probably not enough to justify his presence.

Ahh Season 2

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I'm not touching the poop, anyone asking if the equipment ToW is dependant on the ships etc you bought pledged for or if everyone starts off equal?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

I've just realized something.

ToW is just an anagram of WoT, that is, Wheel of Time.

Now pay attention to the intro to the books.

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose above the great mountainous island of Tremalking. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

A few small tweaks and it could be an analogy for Star Citizen's development!

Are CIG trying to tell us something?

I think they're trying their best avoid telling anyone anything.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I still reckon Theatre of War exists because some CIG code monkey found that the Crysis Wars code was built into CryEngine and just pasted their assets in.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Haha yeah it looks like Rexzilla hasn't played SC since Dec 11. Sponsorship dried up for sure.

Didn't he move to Facebook or something?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Isn't the inherent problem that the types of encounters/fights/time to kill etc need to be very different for an MMO where you can't just respawn in a few seconds than an arena type shooter. So what really are you learning about combat design and balancing etc that you can apply to the MMO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Colostomy Bag posted:

Is this actually real?

"Space Whales" have been a running meme/joke in the development of quite a few space games I can think of references to them in forums/chat about No Man's Sky, Elite, Infinity Battlescape, Limit Theory (RIP.) as kind of an tongue in cheek way of talking about feature creep.