Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I never thought I'd see a refund cascade, let alone create one.... Oh, hello Gordon.

Perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

AFAIK Luke's failed run was never in any of the releases, only in the novelization (which was based on the script pre edits).

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

You guys are arguing with a reddit quote. The "okay downvoters" didn't give it away?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Scruffpuff posted:

The procedurally generated planet is changed. I feel it in the water in space. I feel it as I clip through the earth. I smell it in the argon. Much that once worked is lost, for none now work at CIG who remember it. It began with the forging of the Great Code StarEngine. Three DLLs were given to the Original Devs, immortal, wisest and closest to normal of all beings. Seven DLLs to the poo poo lords, great dataminers and craftsmen of the spaceship hallways. And nine, nine DLLs were gifted to the race of recent college grads, who, above all else, desire recognition. But they were, all of them, deceived, for another DLL was made. In the land of Santa Monica, in the bowels of a rented mansion, the Dark Lord Chris Roberts forged in secret a master DLL, to control all others. And into this DLL he poured his fidelity, his vision and his will to render shoelaces and eyelids. One DLL to break them all.

Cate Blanchett is a treasure.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Quavers posted:

Never been done before :toot:

Oh look, they found the gun customization module from crysis 1.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

The dreams.txt are coming from inside the company

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

DCS is great, and you should all come join us. And there is a Stay-at-home-sale and free flight going on at the moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yp-phGY1Vw

Eat poo poo, star citizen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezcSVFQdc5g

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Sankis posted:

Dang. I was looking for a good reason to get back into A-10c. What's good aside from a-10c?

Tomcat is good, as others have mentioned. It is also old fashioned, so depends on what you like, but to me, that plane is perfect.

If you want carrier ops, with the upcoming deck crew it is F/A-18, or at some time in the future, Tomcat. Here's a demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ztrv_ZML8w

Also seen a lot of people recommend the JF-17, as a well made plane, where everything "just works".

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Scruffpuff posted:

Frankly for the last few years I haven't heard of it anywhere outside this forum. I've also never met anyone in real life, among gamers, who's even heard of it.

Funny you should say that. I recently joined a DCS discord, and talk happened to stray to flightsticks. This one guy jumps in and talks about his "intense Star Citizen PVP" sessions, and how only the sturdiest well built flightsticks could handle that. But that the "cheap chinese lego" another guy had (In reality, a ~$300 decently popular one) would "probably be fine for DCS".

He got no response on star citizen, positive or negative.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Quavers posted:

:reddit: /r/Games: Cloud Imperium Raises Additional $17.25M Investment from Existing Investors

:allears: Good to know even in these terrible times, Star Citizen has somehow found another 18 million dollars to prop itself up.

:3: it’s good to see indie games like this succeed, now the game has a modest budget of ~300M usd. It’s impressive what some devs can do with such a small budget

:holy: this is so inspiring. gonna go mortgage my house right now to preorder another $10,000 virtual spaceship. i know that's not much for a struggling dev like them but it will be worth it someday!

:monocle: I'll buy two, God knows they need it more than I do! 😊

:colbert: I too think its sustainable to have half a dozen studios working for a dozen years on a project that by release everyone who is interested in it will have bought in already or seen it for the whale simulator it is.

Dang, that is some negative and sarcastic comments. FUDrians everywhere!

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Quavers posted:

:trustme: Average Unique Users Completing Missions Per Day = 9,924

:laffo::laffo:

Heyy, that's solid numbers.

Not quite the same, but elite's daily peak is about 10k
https://steamcharts.com/app/359320

Ofc, assuming their self reporting is accurate.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Quavers posted:

:lol:

Unique users per day is different to concurrent users per hour

I am aware, but that is the only Elite numbers I have.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Quavers posted:

If you want to compare Star Citizen player numbers to other games directly, it gets 1300 players per hour. CIG accidentally published that stat before CitizenCon :laffo:

Noice

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

tuo posted:

Now for something completely different:

All the DCS talk in here got me interested. I used to play many of the Jane's games back in the day (F22, Eurofighter, Hunterkiller etc.) and I definitelly don't have the time for THAT amount of "immersion" anymore.

The DCS vids I find on Youtube all have people hitting 100 switches and stuff before the plane even starts to move, and I understand that this is what defines this game, but is there an easy mode? Like I have a nice HOTAS, a VR headset, but I really don't wanna learn 8000 pages of F14 instructions, I just wanna fly around any maybe shot at something. Is this possible?

e: Now I somehow want to play Jane's AH-64D Longbow again. I remember it took me like a weekend to just lift off and hover around (at highest sim level), and even trying to fight anything resulted in my crashing somewhere, but it was ton's of fun and the manual was like a phone book in size)

F-14 startup is easy as poo poo, partially because RIO does a fair bit of it. Secondly, there is an option for the AI RIO (Jester) to walk you through it, very little study required. You can also hot start them, or start in the air, if you just want to fly around a bit.

I say go for it, especially in VR with a nice HOTAS, as you have. Grab Chuck's guides, pause and look up something when you need it, instead of reading manuals from end to end.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Popete posted:

If you wanna check out some fighters but don't wanna spend a lot the Flaming Cliffs 3 bundle will get you 6 aircraft (F-15C, Su-27, A-10A, Su-25, Su-33 and MiG-29) all with professional flight models but simplified cockpits. The FC3 bundle is a great value with tons of a fantastic aircraft, you can fly them with a keyboard and joystick only and don't need to press buttons in the cockpit (not modelled).

In VR, clickable cockpits are more of a pre than a con, much easier to remember a button or switch' location and shape, than remembering a keyboard shortcut.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Lord Stimperor posted:

Yeah, for this reason I found the F18 much, much easier to fly and control than any of the Flaming Cliffs plane. In Flaming Cliffs, you're always memorizing pretty arbitrary key binds that you forget once you haven't played the game for a while. In the F18, you pretty much know what you want and you press it. On-board electricity? Uuuh, oh there. Starter? There. I don't see anything on my MFDs! Wait, lemme push that button next to it. It's also tremendously more satisfying.

The only downside is that clickable cockpits are a little bit awkward in VR. The mouse cursor is controlled by both your head orientation and the actual mouse. So, you'll fix your head on an instrument panel and then use the mouse for precision. I also have a button on my joystick so that I can just look at stuff and click with the button, but that isn't really fun.

With the exception of WW2-dogfighters, I'd hardly want to go back to unclickable cockpits. It's so much easier and so much more fun.

Yup, wish there was an option to decouple mouse and head movement. Guess it might be easy to lose the cursor somewhere.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

stingtwo posted:

the fact that dipshit doesn't have a gaming rig to play Star Citizen is just :psyduck: .

Honestly, that just seems like a smart move. Imagine building a new pc for star citizen in 2014..

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

:reddit: posted:

This is the turning point. Getting suckered happens to a lot of people. Braben got me with the only slightly less obvious Elite Dangerous scam. It sucks, but it happens.

It's a goddamn sickness with these people.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Bubbacub posted:

The cool thing about DCS is that you can play it from full MilSim tactilol tryhard skywarrior all the way to drunk stunt flying. The flight models have meaningful differences between them, so you can nitpick your plane performance and button pushing to a level that shitizens have been dreaming about for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT95cLlPTWo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPbxFQ9b7hA

Don't link fash.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

You're weird and angry. Encouraging fat slobs to work out is a net health benefit, even if they still eat garbage food.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Dementropy posted:

-crappydesign
-assholedesign
-PCMR
-askouija
-watchpeopledieinside
-amitheasshole
-unpopularopinion

Shocking

Read it again, value below 1 means they are less likely to visit that subreddit than the average user.

Surprised the goth one is so far up, with no, uh, similar, subreddits around it. They really like this one thing, it seems.

Also surprised that hoggit is basically the top one. Say what you want about Eagle Dynamics (and the current beta branch performance. And F-16 development. And missile drag values) that's an actual fidelitious sim that works.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Lol, there are some loving weird ones in that reddit stat thing. Star Citizens are 24 times as likely to frequent "ex jehova's witnesses" as a regular user. Guess they know cult development when they see it.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Agony Aunt posted:

When it became clear there wasn't going to be 100 systems full of interesting things to find they had to memory hole it ever was going to be like that and now focus on the one thing they can possibly explore in some way, largely empty planets with a few POIs that everyone knows about because as soon as anything is added its posted about all over spectrum/reddit. So there is actually nothing to find and explore, and there never will be, as only those who find stuff first and post about it on the forums will be those who actually are exploring. Everyone afterwards is sightseeing. These people will say this is good, while perhaps at the same time bad mouthing ED for its empty planets.

Exploration with 100 systems is fairly laughable as well. That's like 2 hours after launch.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Colostomy Bag posted:

Do they have bail bondsman and probation officer roles yet?

The inevitable consequences of corrupt probation officers.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Dynastocles posted:

Even better, since this is the only way to escape, everyone will have to repeat all of these steps every single time they want to escape. And if multiple people try to escape at the same time, you'll have an immersion-breaking cue of people waiting for their turn to get into the shack and steal the rover once it respawns.

But at least it's aMbiTiOuS!!!

It's only 50 people per server. It's not going to be much of a queue

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

colonelwest posted:

So in general crowdfunding news, Kickstarter is dying.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/20/21228412/kickstarter-layoffs-planned-coronavirus-project-declines-crowdfunding-union

It only brought in 1.27 million dollars of of profit last year, and is going through mass layoffs of its 140 person workforce. I guess people are finally getting fed up with all of the failed sleazy projects and Kickstarter’s complete lack of accountability.

Why did they need 140 people to run a server.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

precision posted:

I just realized she looks very similar to the alien woman in the remake of V lol

I believe you just grievously insulted Morena Baccarin

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Did he write scrotch twice

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Bofast posted:

This one is just hilarious :lol:

Having the only visible text be "METROLOOP" is what makes it art.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Quavers posted:

:reddit: PSA: Stay away from the game until they fix the gamebreaking bugs. Your account degrades over time.

Don't make the same mistake I did: sinking more and more hours hoping the hotfixes and promises of a fix would help.

Don't play until 3.9.1 and community confirmation that the game is fixed.

Otherwise, the consequences for you will certainly be the same as they have been for me:

- I now have 5 duplicate Sabres and 4 Duplicate Cutlasses. One of each is usable.
- I am missing 1 million+ worth of components (each of my 5 resets has deleted all componentry)
- Two out of four hardpoints on my Cutlass no longer exist. The remaining two cannot be customised.
- I typically go 0-2 hours before I need a Character Reset in order to continue playing.
- But most importantly, my account has gotten perpetually worse each time I've been forced to Reset.

The game is now unplayable for me immediately following a Character Reset.

Stay away, don't risk your account being corrupted like mine.
Personally I'll be waiting until the next patch to see if that resolves anything and then filing a ticket. IDK what they can possibly do though. In the meantime I've made a number of Issue Council posts and twice as many contributions. Hopefully we get this sorted soon.

:laffo::perfect:

What if they can't fix it :ohdear: What if it just gets worse and worse, until accounts, servers, everything just stops working.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Bubbacub posted:

Having money can negatively correlate with taste. Just look at the actual houses rich people live in: https://mcmansionhell.com/

I would argue those are not the houses of actual rich people. No architects used, everything built cheaply. Its well paid upper middle class people buying imitation mansions.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Sarsapariller posted:

I, too, believe that Ready Player One is the pinnacle of artistic achievement.

:vince:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Lou Takki posted:

3.10 & 3.11 upcoming patch do have also 31 others cards, including:
– Several Ai’s implementation (ships + fps)
– Server to Client Actor Networking Rework
– 13 gameplay improvments

Not counting many tasks not even on roadmap like Server Meshing, SOCS and a new gameplay that is a game in itself: Theater of War.
All SQ42 (solo) assets will be injected in SC at release.

8 Years later, publishers are planning to make Remaster of their past older game… Meanwhile SQ42+SC are gently coming closer to beta for less the price of a re-skinned publishers games with zero ambition as date matter as well as profit sharing vs gamer community.

gently caress, these are killing me. "Gently coming closer to beta" 8 years later, wow

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

The Super-Id posted:

Wait Sataball is just handball with a force field instead of a wall?

There is no wall in handball, what sort of hosed up racquetball-hybrid are you imagining

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Rotten Red Rod posted:

In America our handball is literally racquetball without racquets. It was invented by prisoners who had nothing but a ball and a wall.

:psyduck:

Well, today I learned.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

If SC dies not because of sizzling out or crashing financially, but because FBI freezes their accounts for money muling, I will be amused beyond comprehension.

I can't even begin to imagine how the faithful will take that

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Quavers posted:

I'm the space man flying the space ship, without wrists.

Space man, more like rayman, amirite

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Pretty sure $300 million and 8 years gets you a game engine

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

sebmojo posted:

I randomly skimmed the DCS thread and noticed they model the way cockpit anti glare coating degrades over time, which is such a Roberts thing to care about

roberts has no idea what anti-glare coating is or how it functions. His real world experience outside of movies or yacht-aesthetics is extremely limited.

See how every star citizen ship has horrible useless cockpit design and cockpit glass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Popete posted:

Also saw one of these, is this an actual reference to CitCon bag guy?

No, bagman cosplayed as this fidelitious character.