Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
Their job listings, currently at 85. I don't know anything about corporate hiring practices or AAAA development, but is it normal to have 1/3 of the listings to cover senior or lead positions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
What weirds me out the most about Star Citizen (even after reading the thread archives and looking at all the variety of crazy weird bullshit coming out of its development) is just how aesthetically bland it all is. Like, just taking the graphics and overall presentation, the only thing that they didn't royally gently caress up on a technical level, I can't get over just how loving bland it all is.

It just looks generic. Like a collection of clip art of all the usual sci-fi tropes and ideas. It doesn't go into any interesting directions. There is nothing eye-catching about the designs. Somehow, even Mass Effect Andromeda looked more interesting, not to mention the original trilogy. No Man's Sky has a much more well-defined and well-developed aesthetic. CIG have all this money and resourses, all these artits and talent, and they managed to produce the beigest beige of sci-fi.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Scruffpuff posted:

The era of the "video game auteur" is over, Roberts is a fossil (and was never actually a member of that club anyway), so it's unlikely anything like this will repeat again in this particular way. It was a perfect storm of narcissism, ineptitude, and mental illness.

Mr Dean "Rocket" Hall and the early days of DayZ Standalone come to mind. Though not quite comparable in terms of scale (of both the project and the perfect storm)

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
Idk if this has been discussed before at some point (I assume yes, but I'm a noob to SC saga and I have many questions :kiddo: ) but what's with the mocap obsession? Does it get used nearly as much in actual game production? Is it normal to mocap literally every single move (at least that is the impression I'm getting from all the quotes) that the characters might make in gameplay, as opposed to cutscenes, etc?

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

BluesShaman posted:

Star Citizer: NPCs will be able to collect cutlery and plates, serve themselves food, and then occupy seats to eat and drink.

This is some revolutionary video game poo poo.

loving Sims could do this all the way back in 2001, like wtf

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Pixelate posted:

fidelityyy

I still can't understand what's the point of all of this - it's like it's clunky and inconvenient and annoying *on purpose*. I get it, they want fidelityyyyyyyyyy, ok, cool, but why do all this fiddly crap selecting actions with the mouse pointer? I can't imagine it being the best solution UX-wise - and I don't remember any other game doing similar stuff quite this way

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Read through quite a bit of it hoping to find at least something redeeming about this whole thing, but alas. It's not even bad, it's just meh.

Is it just me or do all the characters read like they're all the same person or something? It's like they're all written in literally the same "WW2 propaganda/Video Game Writing" voice.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Scruffpuff posted:

I can't get past the first two lines.

It's all weird militaristic fantasies written by someone who obviously never been anywhere near irl military, all the way down - so not missing much, really

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
The more I'm learning about SC the more I'm getting convinced that even if it were a technical marvel programmed by literal software engineering gods, running smoothly with thousands of players per server - it would still be *the* most loving bland, boring and beige sci-fi-esque IP currently in existence. Everything, from SQ42 plot tidbits to design of weapons and ships to worldbuilding and lore is just plain and boring at best, and downright goofy at worst (I still can't get over the name New Babbage). Honestly I'd rather read more Stimpire lore

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Zaphod42 posted:

This is just depressing.

This is the real problem. Roberts' isn't just conning rich idiot boomers like we like to imagine. There are poor idiots getting caught up in the scam, and losing their shirts.

Ngl, the cult-like behaviour some of these SC backers exhibit kinda makes me sad. It just feels, I don't know, weird, reading all the stuff they write in praise of this steaming pile of poo poo - and weird in a very sad, depressing way. You can almost sense the desperation. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there's at least one suicide when it all inadvertently crashes and burns, which would loving suck. People are just way, waaaay too invested

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

quote:

Linux bash shell when hacking terminal

Linux shell surviving 900 years in the future almost completely unchanged would be the most fun bit of worldbuilding in SC by far lol

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

800peepee51doodoo posted:

It is super fascinating stuff, tbh, but way way way more complex than what I can reasonably dive into at the moment. I do want to turn some knobs and make bleep bloops though so I've been looking at a couple different, much cheaper, standalone synths / midi controllers as a way to get my feet wet instead.

I'd recommend the Volca series of synths by Korg - all itty-bitty units with very purposfully limited capabilities and low cost (as far as fully-functional synths go). Perfect for tinkering and dipping toes into the world of sound synthesis, in my opinion - and they can actually be made to sound pretty tasty. Some of them are digital (samples, FM synthesis, etc.), some are legit analog synths. They can also be synched together and controlled by midi.

An example of what they can do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NJx4wk4eAc

I'm not affiliated with Korg, I promise

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Organ Harvesting Missions & harvesting tool

October 6th at 8:32 am

Organ Harvesting Missions

I've mentioned this in spectrum chat a few times. you could use the greycat tool in the same way we mine with it, the mechanics are the same, but we could have missions in which you kill a target "x" and use the handy dandy "Roawa Rotary Blade" attachment (I'm open to names) and whala out pops the organs. when they pop like a pinata

Jesus loving christ, what is it with this game. At this rate they should just pivot towards Star Citizen: Stimpire or something, there's obviously a market for it amongst citizers

Re synth chat,

IAbsolveMyself posted:

The Volca Keys sounds great, but it goes out of tune when it gets hot

I'd say that's a feature :v: It's also got an extremely noisy inbuilt digital delay, which can be either very annoying or very appropriate depending on the context

On the topic of noisy delays - Monotron Delay is pretty nifty as well. Don't know if it counts as a synth though lol

Also seconding the Minilogue and Monologue. Also also, Arturia Minibrute is cool, and in roughly the same price category and niche

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

dejapes posted:

From the perspective of anyone who wants a space game where you fly around in space and do space things, none of this makes sense. But from the perspective of anyone drawn in by Star Citizen's intersecting power fantasies of capitalist consumerism and video game escapism, it's very compelling.

The siren song of consumerism, and the entire point of the service industry, is the illusion of self importance associated with spending money. The entire schtick of a sales rep is to make you, the customer, feel like the center of the world - your needs are being catered to and your preferences are being prioritized while an attractive, socially adept smiling face hangs on your every word. And a good sales rep will maintain this illusion until the deal is sealed, your money is taken, and you are shuffled out the door.

Similarly, the appeal of many a video game is the illusion of agency. What shapes the world, the endings, and the fate of all the interesting, out-sized people you meet are the choices made by one person - you. It doesn't matter that all your bad-rear end lines are pre-scripted and chosen from a convo wheel, or that the endings were pre-written and are ultimately the same no matter who is playing the game. The illusion, which lasts for however long the content lasts, is that the player is the decisive agent of change.

Star citizen is an intersection of these two power fantasies, as evidenced by its capitalist, proto-fascist lore, and with further evidence provided by the focus of its development. What are the most detailed, expansive, and hand-crafted areas on each planet? Malls and transit, places where you can feel like the important consumer shuttling from one purchase to the next. You can also see this in many of the dreams.txt megaposts of backers fantasizing about the influence and respect afforded to them, as concierge-level owners of expensive space mansions with cockpits and engines. Or as all-powerful agents of change, equipped with the very best brand-name arms and armaments, ready to inflict punishments on the irreverent.

Backers are so drunk on these illusions that they will propose the most tedious, time-consuming activities that will nonetheless make them feel important, make their money and their purchases feel important. Otherwise, what is the point of Star Citizen?

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

I think this is where all the weird slavery stuff and other fantasies come into play. The "status quo is good and it *likes* you, actually, you're important and cool, consume consume consume consume you big powerful person you" thing that permeates the lore and gameplay (lol) is the key appeal of it all to the backers, imo.

Sort of like buying a small yacht you'll never ever use (seafaring is hard), where the process of *buying it* itself is the main draw (showing all your friends that You've Made It is a bonus as well). The sad part is that the yacht in this case is nothing more than a jpg, and not a very tasteful jpg at that

nurmie fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 27, 2020

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

colonelwest posted:

We should launch a Kickstarter for Derek to buy SA.

But what if... Derek *is* Jeffery? Has anyone ever seen them in a room together? makes u think :thunk:

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

i for one absolutely adore the incredible creativity displayed through names such as Apex Hall and Zenith Hall

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

ChaseSP posted:

Not gonna lie that would be some great poo poo to have in an actual game. Imagine an entire ghost city but a planet built while the company behind it was doing an unprecedented fraud campaign with it to rack in untold amounts of money before it eventually falls through with the planet being left an unlivable metal shell.

But we can just call it Star Citizen.

A planetwide derelict corporation-built pyramid scheme-funded ghost city is an incredibly cool idea for a setting, actually

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

"slow epic solemn cover of a popular song as trailer music" being a horribly overused cliche aside, the lyrics are just so loving thematically appropriate to this whole shitshow. It almost feels like an elaborate parody or something, like come the gently caress on

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
Honestly at this point they'd be better off just handcrafting as much as possible, imo - they seem to be wasting more time on creating these elaborate tools and AI routines than on creating actual gameplay-providing content. Of course, that's assuming they actually want to finish this game - which they don't lol

I do wonder sometimes if a project like Star Citizen is actually doable with the current tech - in the hands of a competent developer that is, and with the right tools. As in, a space MMO with ship-to-ship combat, FPS elements and ground vehicles, with player-driven exploration, trading and economy and all that. It certainly doesn't seem impossible to me (being engaging to play is another question), but am I missing something? Especially if the scale of it got reined in a bit

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Scruffpuff posted:

[...]
In other words, I'd "cheat." A handful of very weird people would bitch, but at least they'd have a game.

The Titanic posted:

Star Citizen wants to do all of the things. A perfect procedural generation system and a perfect layer on top of that of 4K hand crafted POIs at a universe scale.

[...]

Is this all feasible? gently caress no.

Can you break it up hugely and segment stuff away and fake a lot of it so it kind of comes together? Probably, but you'd have to figure that mess out and where the lines between loading screens exist. But it's get you closer.

Sarsapariller posted:

MMO games at their core are about finding fun loops that players want to do over and over, and then giving them excuses to do them over and over. Elite has dogfighting and rover-ing and the signal exploration stuff and mining and trading and a few other ~10m loops that can be repeated basically forever, and it cuts corners in the ways that hurt the least in order to give the player the best experience. Drop out of supercruise in an asteroid field and it's going to load you into a new map and spawn guys around you. Does it matter to anyone who just wants to hunt bounties that these guys didn't exist a second before, or that the game had to load a new map? No, of course not. But Star Citizen's whole premise is that it does, and it is focused on forcing everything to be real to the point that the core gameplay loops are all a broken mess, and that is why Star Citizen is ultimately a flaming failure that can never be completed.

Great insights, thank you all!

It does seem that this obsessive focus on making everything "real" and "not taking shortcuts" (in other words, taking the most naive approach to every challenge) is what basically set Star Citizen on a path to disaster from the get-go - even before all the incompetence and chaos piled on top. And I get the feeling that even if all these mechanics and game loops were implemented properly and somehow all miraclously worked as intended, they would not result in the intended "game feel" (not that they seemed to have one they were aiming for, but you can kind of discern the gist of it from all the dreams.txt)

In any case, if nothing else, SC is a goldmine of a learning resourse for "how not to do things in gamedev" (or in project management in general, I suppose). I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a literal textbook case in the next decade

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Fidelitious posted:

Lol no, that's not how this works.

Richard, it's not like there was some shared CIG account and your viewers tossed money into it for you.
This is your actual income from twitch subs and tips and you chose to blow $50,000 of that income on pictures of space ships instead of doing something useful with it.

When I buy a new fridge I don't say that my employer contributed to that purchase. It was literally just you you absolute doofus.

loving hell, I'm just going all :psyduck: at the though of blowing $50k on loving jpegs

like, it's not *that* much but it's getting close to "life-changing amount of money"

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
i mean, the core premise of Star Citizen as a project is that it's essentially a privilege simulator for already-privileged people who seem to feel that they aren't quite privileged enough. so the whole "gently caress you, got mine, now watch me spend what i've got on jpegs" thing is basically the logical conclusion of this.

in a way, that's the truly-innovative part of it, the part that's allowed Star Citizen to be extremely financially successful while being a conceptual, creative and experiential void

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Dwesa posted:

I assume this tried to make the new tank look good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSbjyJhRp5E

why do they shoot at an aircraft with the main gun

also, lol at 1000 years-advanced military technology being unable to hit a target 50 metres away that's not even moving laterally relative to it

also also, the tank kinda looks way clunkier and, uh, more rigid and un-lifelike, i guess? than even tanks from Battlefield 3, nevermind newer ones or say War Thunder. like, it doesn't behave like a heavy, powerful combat machine - it just kinda glides over the ground while farting dust. it's just lame lol

by the way, is "tonk" like an official name for these or something? it's just about stupid-sounding enough to be one (see New Babbage) but tbh i kinda can't be bothered to check

edit: tank catte tax

nurmie fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 18, 2021

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Beet Wagon posted:

quote:

<2021-05-21T18:37:41.396Z> [GAS PRODUCER CONSUMER] CSCItemGasProducerConsumer::AssignToRoom ProducerConsumer: rsi_odyssey_undersuit_01_01_01_2279122630372, Entity: Beetwagon, Room: rsi_odyssey_undersuit_helmet_01_01_01_2279122630375, IsHidden: False
<2021-05-21T18:37:41.396Z> [GAS PRODUCER CONSUMER] CSCItemGasProducerConsumer:: DeferredInitialize EnableComponentUpdate. ProducerConsumer: rsi_odyssey_undersuit_01_01_01_2279122630372, Entity: Beetwagon
<2021-05-21T18:37:41.690Z> [GAS PRODUCER CONSUMER] CSCItemGasProducerConsumer::OnEntityEvent Room unhidden. ProducerConsumer: rsi_odyssey_undersuit_01_01_01_2279122630372, Entity: Beetwagon, Room: rsi_odyssey_undersuit_helmet_01_01_01_2279122630375
<2021-05-21T18:37:41.690Z> [GAS PRODUCER CONSUMER] CSCItemGasProducerConsumer:: DeferredInitialize EnableComponentUpdate. ProducerConsumer: rsi_odyssey_undersuit_01_01_01_2279122630372, Entity: Beetwagon
<2021-05-21T18:37:41.713Z> [CSessionManager::OnClientSpawned] Spawned!

oh my god lmao

wait gently caress is this for real lmao

also i wonder how much better SC would run if it just stopped logging random poo poo

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Fidelitious posted:

I legitimately think someone that thinks like this is some kind of sub-human species.
Their dream is to be an absolute fuckhead 1%-er capitalist consumer, which is demented.

i'd advise against calling any group of people sub-human. that's really not the kind of thought you'd want to internalise, and it's not gonna lead to anything good

i mean, dreams.txt do tend to attract this kind of specific type of person, but overall it's just another money sink for the midlife crisis-ridden, no better and no worse than say buying a ferrari or an actual boat or whatever

actually, scratch that, buying jpegs is probably much less wasteful than buying a ferrari

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

trucutru posted:

Since Chris (of Roberts Space Industries) exists in lore then the special version of the Bengal to honour his memory is going to be extra good.

of all the wanky bits in the wankfest that is the lore of Star Citizen, Chris Roberts writing himself into it as this genius industrial magnate is by far the wankiest

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Dwesa posted:

All these manly masculine broproducts only exude insecurity. That tactical baby gear also looks like human shield on top of it.

yeah honestly it's just embarrassing

most of these Manly Products for Manly Men are not even practical or whatever - it's just typical consumer stuff with some extra military-looking tAcTiCal bits haphazardly attached. like if you want poo poo that looks similar to this style and that's actually useful and practical and durable, why not go to a military surplus store or a specialty workwear/outdoors/hardware places

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Sarsapariller posted:

It's not about practicality, it's about toxic masculinity

<...>

His insecurity is exactly what this sort of poo poo is targeting. Baby carriers that won't make you soft. Body washes without all that girly poo poo. To us it looks completely insane, and it is, but it's a kind of insanity that has been absolutely cultivated in a huge proportion of the men in our country. The January 6th riots were a direct result of it. I expect it'll get worse, before it gets better.

yeah i've met a fair few people like that, and it always feels like they're, i dunno, running? from themselves, or chasing something that's not there and never really was, like a fleeting myth of perfect masculinity or whatever. it's always kinda sad, but then in worst-case scenarios people like that can be super toxic and damaging to their loved ones and just folks around them, which sucks. it's also a slippery slope of failure and compensation and shame and further failure, all of which only exacerbate the toxic aspects of it all. in conclusion, toxic masculinity sucks :smith:

in any case and for what its worth, i sincerely hope that your brother in law gets better, for your and your family's sake if not for his

nurmie fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 25, 2021

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
russian's got literally the same "air castle" idiom going on too. maybe chris's been trying to tell us something this whole time :tinfoil:

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
oh no i completely forgot about Deskeletonization Day :ohdear:

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Dwesa posted:

shamelessly stolen from refunds sub

ED player tried SC for a while and it resulted in this video, lot of swearing with accent, but it's still valid criticism

Star Citizen: 10 Reasons I dislike this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx3ASyGHMps

lmao at the star citizen fanboys :reddit:-ing it up in the comments

i was gonna post some quotes but it suddenly occured to me that 1) they all read the same, 2) there's not much fun in there, just a bunch boring tedious people reiterating same boring irrelevant points and silly personal jabs at the author, all the while trying real hard to make their posts read like the epitome of :smug:

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
ok stellaris dev who added this, reveal yourself coward

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

holy poo poo

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

MedicineHut posted:

loving rofl. Does Stellaris also include a text description of the system for the last 500 years perhaps?

unfortunately it doesnt :( though the empire owning it happens to be a Driven Assimilator, which seems quite apt

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Fidelitious posted:

As far as I can tell the most recent usage of "pre-alpha" by CIG themselves is this youtube video from 3 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHR1aEdTA4M

ok, i've never watched this so i figured i'd click through a couple random moments, just to check out the fidelity and poo poo

lo and behold, the very first one i landed on, around 21 minute mark, there's a bunch of space marines (i assume) delivering a bunch of apprehended pirate sort of guys to holding cells or whatever. stereotypical hollywood acting, "look ma i'm directing" style of camera movement and out-of-date cockney accents aside, there's the bit where one marine guy takes photos (?) of the pirates while another marine guy holds them at gunpoint. with the photo-taker walking LITERALLY IN FRONT OF THE OTHER GUY AND HIS (i assume) LOADED, OFF SAFETY WEAPON, RIGHT BETWEEN HIM AND HIS INTENDED TARGETS

immersion ruined, fidelity not found

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Lammasu posted:

The fact they haven't been able to produce the single player component is surreal. I mean they BRAG about still doing motion capture for the game. How can any sane person not see this as hosed up.

how are they still motion capturing 8 years into production :psyduck:

like what's the justification for that

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

BattleMaster posted:

I have this theory about that line that is probably more thought than anyone working on the movie put into it:

-the plasma bolts in the future war scenes are purple, which is the color of air in a plasma state
-40 watts isn't enough power to cause the kind of damage the plasma bolts are shown to cause, especially since the impact with the target lasts for only a short time (40 watts delivered over 0.25 seconds is only 10 joules of energy, for instance)

So for this line to make sense, the plasma weapons probably suck in air from the environment, ionize it with a 40 watt plasma source (like a very short wavelength UV laser) and then propel it at extremely high speeds out the barrel of the weapon. The total power consumption of the weapon while firing would be far greater than 40 watts, but a 40 watt plasma source would generate a lot of plasma for use as "ammunition."

The reason why the power of the plasma source would matter while characterizing a weapon is that a weapon that fires big blasts (like the vehicle mounted ones) or lots of smaller blasts at rapid fire (like the minigun used by the infiltrator) would need higher power plasma generators to maintain their rate of fire than an assault rifle-style one (like the ones used by the resistance members). But since we don't have any point of reference, we don't know if the terminator was asking for a smaller weapon or a larger weapon at the gun shop. Given his other weapon choices, I assume he would have wanted an assault rifle-style one.

edit: of course the real reason for the line was to show in a slightly-silly way the level of uncertainty Skynet had for this time period - it didn't know that these weapons weren't available back then, just like how it didn't know which Sarah Connor needed to die.

honestly i wouldn't be surprised if James Cameron actually had put a non-zero amount of thought into little details like this, for authenticity's sake if nothing else. plus, iirc he did study physics at least for some time (before becoming a truck driver and then a movie director almost as successful as Chris Roberts)

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

text editor posted:

these patch notes are just hilarious:

one major bug (major because delivery mission is the game's only real gameplay loop) in exchange for all those weird bugs

how the gently caress do you even get some of these. like why would Star Citizen care that Sonic Studio or whatever is running? is it a driver conflict or something? why would it have conflicts on such a low level anyway? :confused:

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
like i get it if for example a DAW requires low-level driver access and hogs the whole audio i/o system to itself. but even then, that's usually not the case. are CIG doing some clever manual manipulations with the sound buffer, filling it one sample value at a time? are they mixing sounds to such a fidelitous degree and with such spatial precision that they need direct access to digital-to-analog converter? is it even to do with sound in the first place, or some other weird bit in their frankenstein's monster of a game that needs the entire operating system dedicating itself to just hold it together for ten minutes or so before the inevitable crash? i have many questions :confused:

apropos to nothing, have there been cases of Star Citizen frying people's video cards? just out of curiosity :v:

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Mirificus posted:

quote:

The 64 bit floating point is actually 1,600,000,000,000,000 sq km which converts to 617,763,453,667,920 sq. mi.

Source: math. 2 to the 64th power.

after reading this i think i now know how having a stroke must feel like. this is not how floating point works. this is not how any of it works. what the gently caress :psyduck:

i've actually had to go and check how much 264 is, just to make sure i'm not loving losing it. it's definitely not 1,600,000,000,000,000. thank god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Fidelitious posted:

I love this! It's kind of one of my favourite things when people are so oblivious that they just out themselves like this. This guy and his friends throw around racial slurs in their safe spaces so he just assumes that everyone does. I think it legitimately is a shock to these people when they find out that non-racists don't actually do the same things that they do. I'm also all about this guy saying that it's not offensive but still using "n-word" in his post.

that's like lovely behaviour justification 101 though - "ah, we all know we agree on this, i'm just brave enough to say it out loud :smug:", "come on, everyone does this behind closed doors :smug:", "so your telling me you never said the n-word? not even once? okay, i see, okay :smug:"