Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I have spent the last two days reading this entire thread and I have to say, for people who have no interest in Star Citizen, you all seem to have a surprising obsession with it. I have run the stats to see the posting frequency distribution per individual and the lopsided histogram says it all about the MVPs.

Anyhow, it is clear to me that you don't believe in the project. I can't honestly blame you, faith is on the wane in this century, and gaming is no exception. But for someone like me who grew up in the 80s/90s, it's heartbreaking to see that a honest attempt at recapturing the magic of old pc games before they got tainted by commercial pressure from publishers and neoliberal investors looking for their pound of green flesh (I mean dollars, not orcs). And as a game developer myself, I'm all too familiar with that kind of pressure. I wish I had the courage of Mr Roberts to roll out my own company and make my dream game, but since I can't, supporting him is the next best thing and I don't regret my now-concierge status. It's not like it was a big expense either as it only grew organically over the (growing) lifetime of the project. Sure, it's not "released" yet, but then what really is a release these days? Tetris on the GameBoy is probably the last game I'd call actually released. Everything else since is a half-broken mess pushed out too early. I mean, just look at Star Wars Squadron or Subverse. Bugs all over the place, hotfixes... I wish I hadn't gone over the 2h mark so I could refund and transfer the money to CIG instead, they would use it better.

Yeah, yeah, I know what you're going to say. "But those games are there, I can play them, Star Citizen isn't there yet". Well, the PU is. Now, make no mistakes, it is early days and I'll be honest, I wish Squadron 42 wasn't a bit late, as I have always liked Gary Oldman and starring in my own movie with him is an exciting prospect. But ultimately, it's the living/breathing "second life" (but actually well done) experience that I'm really after. And this is now what you are getting with any other game. Well, apart from Second Life, but that ship has sailed and its engine is an outdated mess. Unless SL licenses Star Engine in the future, who knows? But in the meantime, nothing on the market offers what SC does. In what other game do you physically wake up in your bed each session? It's a small thing for you but for me, it's like I'm getting out there and my other me was just sleeping in the dimension I was inactive in. Then walking to the cockpit, inspecting everything around never gets old. What other game has you landing on planets from orbit like that? Sure, Elite does, Flight Simulator is pretty, and Kerbal has nice physics, but Elite doesn't have the planetary fidelity, FS isn't procedurally generated/extensible and lacks orbit/space anyhow, and please don't even mention Kerbal for immersion.

And then there is the walking. Because ships aren't everything in a space game. If you never leave the cockpit, it's like you "are" the ship. And then, does it make a difference whether you are a character, a ship or the Kamoshika line between Akita and Aomori? Leaving the seat is what gets to your mind, reminding you that you are a human, and that the ship is not you but a temporary extension of your body. Walking is what makes it worth. Yes, I agree with some of you, sometimes it's slow, sometimes it's boring, and SC train lines are too slow (but then, that's the beauty of a fictional universe: Mr Roberts can simply decide that a new Train Tech has been discovered and double train ride speeds). But this is what makes you appreciate even more your ship's capacities, even a modest Aurora, when you get to it. Less is more, something that many of you have forgotten if I look at the posting numbers. Yes, in many ways SC is a walking simulator. But with a twist. And that twist happens to be the objectively best looking ships gaming has ever seen. I've always thought the Tiger's Claw from Wing Commander 2 couldn't be topped, but every new SC sale makes me even more wrong. And by forcing me to get out of my ship for human interactions, I get a reminder of the weak, fragile thing that a human body is. I have been chatting with many other pledgers over the years, and most agree with me. It is *incredible* what that walking transition achieves and how much it makes you think. It's always a little sad to log out afterwards in fact, because I have no ship to augment my feeble human body in the real world. The next best thing is my Tesla car (you may want to google 'Elon Musk', that's another visionary like Mr Roberts, and, surprise surprise, he also has space-related aspirations), but well, it's not quite the same. I'd be tempted to pass a pilot's license for the flying experience, but it's pretty expensive sadly, and the physical limitations of Cessna-class airplanes are probably frustrating when you're used to the Gladius.

Now I understand everyone doesn't feel the same, but please, try and keep this in mind before you criticize. Ask yourself "is my critic objective and constructive or am I slwoly turning into a hater?" before posting. Because negativity breeds negativity. I have seen it happen plenty of times, and not that long ago, another promising project by an old gaming visionary (Shroud of the Avatar) got dragged into that negativity spiral and left the project in a very sorry state, despite it being "released" somehow (remember my point about release?). Yes, we all want the game to happen faster, but it's already available in a limited section of its universe. And that's not even unique: the shameless ripoff that is Elite Odyssey is only available in a limited section of its own universe... And what is there, as I mentioned earlier, is unparalleled in gaming. And with blocking tech items such as vulkan, server meshing as well as the disruptive NPC subsumption that will be an inflexion point in the singularity curve of gaming, this is only getting better. Read this post again in 3 months time because I'm above going "I told you so", it's bad manners. And speaking of bad manners, please stop the misinformation and propaganda about Mr Roberts. Yes, some of his relatives work at his companies, but so what? This is not the first family business in the world, and a grown up responsibility is to provide for their family. Helping your partner/brother/niece to get a job is something we all do if we can. The only difference is the scale of the job/salary, but you know what? As a veteran of gaming and movies, Mr Roberts earned that, and it was powered by us, the fans, buying his previous games or watching his movies. So *we* chose to get him there. And the day I finally get to walk through the corridors of my Idris, I will try not to look too smug as you are there, lined up to salute me while working to save for your own ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Obviously, I don't believe a word from the garbage I posted above. I'm only here because you folks provided me with a ton of entertainment for a while about this ridiculously fascinating slow-motion car crash of a project, which, somehow, is still raking in millions. Between the updates from the heroes actually playing it so we don't have to, the selected quotes from the best corners of the Internet, the financial analysis/speculation I don't even understand because I'm really really poo poo at finance, the crazy rumours from the Agent and the cat videos, this thread has been a very welcome occasional comic relief during coffee breaks on those long working-from-home lockdown days.

Many times, I had an urge to applaud, comment, or ask questions (like about the context of that video of a guy feeding a pig with sunglasses, that thing is still puzzling me). So, well, here I am. Just thought I wouldn't waste the first post on that boring stuff. Please just carry on, and apologies for letting you all down: you haven't just captured your own pet crazy.

And if anyone believed, even for a split second, that my post above was genuine, well, I guess it's part of the beauty of SC. It's sufficiently crazy by now that it becomes harder each day to tell what's real and what isn't. Like, those Star Kitten helmets and advertisements? I'd swear this is a late April's fool. But then again, it probably would sell, so...

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

.random posted:

But what does the postcount histogram look like tho

I'd have to actually bother with the crawling/parsing of the thread to find out. But having done it a couple times for fun (yes, data visualisation is great, no kink-shaming please) on other forums/threads, it looks like your standard wealth distribution, with the top 5-10 people owning most of the posts. Internet posting addiction is a thing, apparently.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Thanks for the welcome folks. And yeah, I originally planned to leave it at that for a bit longer, but then, there was a growing sense of shame and discomfort. I'm a roleplayer at heart, but some roles just feel heavier than others. Had to cut it off before that fake personality started subsuming by itself.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

onesixtwo posted:

My favorite part of the SC crowd hating on ED is that the game is basically the exact same thing to their fever dream of SC, except ED has been released for years and is adding content to an already existing game.

If flying through space in a spaceship then landing on a planet is boring in ED, how is it going to be any better in SC...

There's a fascinating amount of hoops being jumped through alright. Fidelity only matters if it's in SC:
- orbiting planets: doesn't count
- 1:1 scale planets: doesn't count
- 1:1 scale galaxy: doesn't count
- 1:1 scale nebulae: doesn't count
- "Lagrange points" in a game with no orbits: fidelitous!
- space clouds because true scale nebulae are boring: fidelitous!
- big planetary city texture (SC): now *that's* fidelity!
- HD texture for facial pimples : gently caress yeah!

And for that part of the crowd that prides itself on supporting "innovative-never-done-before" game technology, you'd think the proc-gen milky way with its additional scattering of known stars from current astronomical catalogues, and all its 1:1 scale landable planetary surfaces would be considered a pretty neat achievement in itself, irrespective of the limited gameplay it offers outside of the inhabited systems. But no, that's not fidelitous apparently. That vending machine on the other hand...

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

marumaru posted:

i want to be financially compensated every time someone reminds me of sbutt fartizen's ridiculously tiny nebulae

If I financially compensate you, do I get a JPG of the receipt?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Khanstant posted:

nvm, nearest star is like 4.24 lightyears away. People would have been chilling in an empty new solar system for years by now.

Somewhere, on a planet orbiting Proxima Centauri, a faithful is arguing that according to his surveillance of Earth, S42 is coming out any day now and that while it's a bit late, it's not uncommon for an AAAAA game to take 5 years of development.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Someone should mod Hypnospace Outlaw into Warlord Simulator.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

drat, that toastie posted by Thoatse looks tasty.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

quote:

If we are talking realism, we must first understand how RL missiles work.

In the real world, a missile does not have a lot of fuel. What happens when you fire an air-to-air missile is it fires upwards to the highest possible altitude (unless the target is in dogfight range), quickly burning out its fuel (which lasts for a very short distance), and the rest of the way “glides” in air using its rudders.

In space, there is no atmosphere and the rudders are useless, which is why the missile must always utilize fuel to maneuver. This dramatically reduces the missile’s range.

Then again, if we look at it from sci-fi perspective, 900 years into the future they may have found some type of high-intensity fuel that would make the missiles travel for much longer distances.

I'm lost for words.

I'd pay good money to the author for them to go explain missile physics on a DCS reddit/forum.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Dark Off posted:

im no expert on subject. and it seems to be more complex the more i google about reality. For example meteors being ramjets really makes the flight profile different from something like aim120
Also anyone enjoying realism should try out dcs world even if it is horribly expensive game riddle with ridiculously expensive dlc's.
Its like what if CIG actually made a game in addition of fleecing nerds and was bit less greedy. (dcs is slowly getting greedier for example super carrier dlc. only brings carrier with mocapped crew into the game)

And for missiles-in-space with trajectory and delta-v considerations, I can't recommend enough Children of a Dead Earth. It sells for almost nothing and is criminally underknown. In the realm of "what would space warfare look like?", I don't think anything else even remotely touches it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Trillhouse posted:

guided missiles are cool until you look up how much they cost and think about what else that money could go towards. (modern long-range AA missiles cost roughly $550,000. each.)

That's just a few Legatus packages at the end of the day. And the AAAA game that comes with the Legatus has a lot more content than your AA missile.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

I lost it when the camera decides to zoom in on the commando's face. :lol:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Popete posted:

Then a year later he'll sell the company off to some super fan for peanuts

Ben42, answer the call!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Sarsapariller posted:

So uh, hey Chris. UE4 is getting full planets as a basic, free mod that any dev can use. Also featuring vehicles with complete interiors that you can walk around in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBJv71iaWjs&t=70s

You've taken so long on mopping and mess hall scenes that basic engine features are starting to encompass your entire loving project, you nincompoop.

See? That's the industry desperately trying to catch up with SC. That's the SC effect, lifting pc gaming to new heights that everyone thought impossible until CR did it. Now they're rushing to emulate the features. This is good for Star Citizen.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

reddit posted:

This poo poo was hilarious. I'm still going to buy the Hercules as soon as it's available. I hate it missed it last time.

For a second I thought of the Hercules graphics card and it was even funnier. It wouldn't be the first hardware partnership to fall through due to development time making it obsolete...

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Gravity_Storm posted:

Watching (well, binging actually) Battlestar Galactica right now, and wonder why we've never had a really good BSG game. Its fun, trashy sci fi and has a decent IP, unlike a certain space game made by bears.

The BSG craze didn't survive the nonsensical final season and ending. Bit like Game of Thrones, just ahead of its time.

The Diaspora people had released a demo of Beyond the Red Line, with 3 missions, before they moved on, I remember it being fun to play and pretty atmospheric. You were playing as a Viper pilot, before the hunt for that celebrity Cylon ship with a scar. Haven't played Diaspora though, so maybe it's just what BtRL was aspiring to be.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

commando in tophat posted:

For me BSG was getting more nonsensical as it went on, not just final season. It is almost like authors didn't really know where they were going with it. Especially annoying for me were plotlines that went nowhere and just fizzled out without any ending to them.

Oh I'm with you. The final season just brings all the nonsense together and takes it to another level entirely. I still watched it, morbid curiosity, etc.

And well, it's not *like* the authors didn't really know where they were going, they confirmed it. The cylons allegedly had a plan, but the authors hadn't decided what it was...

Still, those first two seasons at least were great, and there are plenty of good moments amidst the nonsense afterwards.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

UnknownTarget posted:

Lol I did the flight model for BTRL. Same username too.

Nice job. Were you nearby and were we not in lockdown, I'd get you a well deserved pint for that. :cheers:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
The Epic vs Apple lawsuit really highlights how boring SC has become. It is a glorious haven of newly revealed shady deals, high-level conversations, judge grilling and shizophrenic moral compass, when by comparison, the Crytek vs CIG ended up as a vague wet fart settlement.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Storer Citizer: It wouldn't be too difficult, would it?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Errr, only recently joined the club here, where do I sign up for the erotic fingerpainting classes?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Forget the physics, where are the tracks from the tank treads?! That's so unfidelitous!

As for all the usual 1:1 scale and walking in, it's convenient how none of the faithful apparently ever played Space Engineers or Empyrion. And how 1:1 scale apparently should never apply to planets/galaxy.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I like the Planetside 2 vibe too. That does look like the platoon has just moved from Amerish/Hossin to Esamir with the MBT player forgetting the camo swap.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Considering the tank's DPS, I'm looking forward to innovative commandos opening up the hangar in space for the tank to one-shot other ships.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Yeah, he basically said "What the hell is that wind???" (when the airlock opened and he got pushed back) and then "God, am I dead??? What the hell???"

Yeah, "that wind" which surprisingly doesn't blow when he walks out, but suddenly strikes the second he makes contact with the ramp.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Love the sudden silence as the brain desperately tries to process and retrace events to find an explanation.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

khy posted:

This seems like the most appropriate thread to ask. Are there any good, stable fan remakes or remasters or projects to redo any of the original Wing Commander games out there that are completed and not in limbo eternally

Privateer: Gemini Gold is complete as far as I know, it was a fork of Privateer Remake (which imho was more interesting adding new ships and stuff when Gemini Gold just aims at being a 1:1 remake) which itself was based on the open source Vega Strike. No idea if it's still available or if it still runs on modern systems though.

smellmycheese posted:

This power management thing is the thing Star Wars Squadrons already does in a simple and Cool and intuitive way with a couple of button taps while I’m flying my X Wing in silky smooth VR right?

Yeah, that thing that goes back to X-Wing (1993), and was used in every game of the X-Wing series, and has been picked up by Elite Dangerous amongst others. Never done before!

That said, a good idea is a good idea, and that X-Wing power distribution is a great little concept that took the game up a level (interception missions heavily relied on pushing all the power to engine to intercept in time). So while I'm sure they'll make ridiculous claims about it, it's not a bad thing for them to adopt it.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 14, 2021

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

orcane posted:

Knowing Clown Emporium Games it's probably not a background simulation type of thing, but a single database every PU instance connects to for the "economy". With a fancy buzzword name of course, to make it look fidelitious.

But there's a cron job that randomly fluctuates the price column in the commodities table every hour. That's a simulation, and the cron script runs in the background. Checkmate, fudster!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Chocobo posted:

Also can't help but notice that Elite Dangerous: gently caress You Roberts is the top seller on my Steam store today.

Impossible. According to the ED forums, nobody uses Steam.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Bubbacub posted:

Real world manufacturers are getting inspiration from CIG's cockpit design

https://twitter.com/MercedesBenzUSA/status/1395107576673619970

More screens for the driver to stare at is definitely what cars needed.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

Tried to find out how much the S-Class starts at on Mercedes website, but they don't have prices yet. That car looks like it starts in the $100,000+ range though.

You could afford it if you stopped drinking frappacaramelccinos for a few months.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Groshlak posted:

I don't really know, I'm not that knowledgeable in the matter but... This totally sounds like a war ritual from the Klingon or something. Are you implying these 2 aliens are on the warpath to raid the whales of Earth?

Right universe, wrong species/ritual: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Horga%27hn

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

trucutru posted:

So what happens if a harbinger of doom ever changes their mind?

From a casual observer point-of-view, it looks more like a project to see what can't be done. And by that metric, it is an overwhelming success.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Star Citizen: Go play something else and stop being a burden to the community

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah he just described Elite perfectly :laugh:

Love the choice of criteria such as 1:6 scale planets. Or the absence of a criteria like, I don't know, orbital physics? Now, we wouldn't want to push too many boundaries for a space game!

And of course, a mining gameplay loop. Because why would anyone play a space game if you can't mine?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Fidelitious posted:

If you're asking if you can do something in Star Citizen the answer is always "no".
Especially if the question is "Will I have fun?"

Counterpoint: if you ask the faithful or :crobear: if you will be able to do something in Star Citizen, the answer is always "yes".

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Citizen Roberts: Maintaining standards set in the 70/80/90s

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

super sweet best pal posted:

Say what you want about Elite, at least it's a properly playable game, or at least it was before the expansion dropped and <ERROR CODE: BLUE COBRA>.

In defense of Elite, I have now played with the new stuff, and out of a dozen elevator rides, I still haven't fallen through the floor once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

SeaDart posted:

Players can’t give players Crimestat, right? I was cracking jokes about FUD and promptly got a crimestat and died while standing on a ship elevator while some booger on the general chat was crowing

What followed was the closest approximation to gameplay this game seems to have, and was almost fun. While my friends were struggling to get off the ground due to loading bugs leaving their planet full of bottomless pits, I flew to Microtech with a crime stat, waited for some other player to try and land, stole their parking spot, ran past the Guard NPCs who aggro on you if you have crimestat (they are not very well made. If you time this right this could be an excellent shitposting opportunity as you can start firefights in the Expo lobby and a couple of the halls), rented one of the giant corvettes, then 30Kd.

After recovering, I picked up my friends, flew to a security base where you can erase your criminal history, soaked up incoming fire while my friends destroyed the turrets, then killed every NPC in the base in a move that was honestly pretty fun.

Then two of us died out of nowhere and respawned in space jail, where you can clip into rocks in the escape tunnel and get inextricably stuck.

We might try again tomorrow but it’s looking rather unlikely

I swear, the only thing holding back Goat Simulator from outdoing SC in every aspect is multiplayer.