Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Quavers posted:

:reddit: Accidentally tripped on stairs and now I've got two broken ribs and a fractured arm

:ughh:

I honestly can't tell if this is a bug or a feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I just can’t tell what’s real and what’s not anymore. Although I guess in Star citizen’s case nothing is real.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Observe the relative of Tyrannosaurus Rex hunting:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EsteemedNiceHamadryas-mobile.mp4

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

That all sounds really cool. I guess I better buy an Idris.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

DigitalPenny posted:

remember when ship were so slow to make because they needed to get all the damage states in an all this other super tech jazz. Imagine having to go back and redo the 1000 ships or what ever the have released to add air pipes into them.

This right here was the first thing to go through my mind when I read Chris' bullshit.

All the ships they've made need to be completely redone with these new components and vents and poo poo. How much work, how many years, is that going to take? Wouldn't it have been significantly easier to build all these gameplay elements and then the ships? I guess not, Chris knows best.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

WaltherFeng posted:

The peak fidelity was in SWAT series where you had to consider how many bullets were in each magazine when you reload and that probably took someone 15 minutes to implement on their coffee break.

SOCOM did this. It was interesting going into a firefight with one full mag and 4 mags with between 2-7 rounds each. But now I’ll be able to hide in the middle of a fire fight, unload my near empty mags and make 1 full one! Revolutionary! But an Idris.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I'm actually surprised by the progress they haven't made on squadron 56. It's amazing and incomprehensible to me that after all this time and money, they have absolutely nothing. Hasn't someone been churning out levels or designing cut scenes?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

JcDGAF posted:

Guys - I backed in 2015 and a couple years later was filled with regret, but trying it a month or so ago have noticed dramatic changes. Mainly stability. It's def still alpha, but I don't crash for HOURS (my biggest deterrent previously) and run a steady 30+fps. The capital ship content is raid levels of challenge requiring a group (most in multi crew ships), bounty missions have decent payouts for small squads via mission share, and the org content I've played has been some of the most immersive with custom squad payouts via the player trade system. Coming from NMS and a little elite, this is much more group focused content. If you're looking for a complete game, keep waiting; but if you're backer, now is not a bad time to try it again. Night and day difference from before. If you're on the fence, just wait to try on a free fly.

I thought for sure the game would lose traction after a few years, but here we are with every year financially better than the prior. As far as quality, there is no competitor in the market genre.

We have a dozen or so active players we organize skirmishes with internally or with other orgs. Reach out if you're one of the dumb idiots who backed this game and want company with other dummies.

Is this satire?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

It looks so cool until it hits, and then it's a total fart.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

lol @ its not in yet because 'we have to literally plumb the ships with vents', gently caress you, it would take all of 30 minutes per ship to slap down some arbitrary vent points in each room.

Hah. Hahahahahaha. Maybe if the vents were something they had in mind, planned for, and built the ship models around from the start.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

But Roberts isn't a Carmack. He's much closer to like, Hideo Kojima.

Im sorry, maybe I’m reading this wrong, but are you suggesting that Chris Roberts and Hideo Kojima are somewhere on the same tier of video game gods?

Because Chris Roberts doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Kojima.

I assume you mean they’re similar in that they fill the same roll around the office. But does Chris even do that?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Ok ok you’re right. Honestly, I’m not even sure if Kojima can program. He doesn’t need to, it’s not his role and all. Which is for the best really because he can never tell someone ‘oh yeah I totally would have done it better if I coded it, do it over’

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Their "plan" to implement real materials modeling and stress/strain stuff might be the dumbest thing SC has ever talked about implementing, and that says a lot. The true believers are going to eat that poo poo up.

Does everyone remember Red Faction? Some of the guys at Volition had to go take basic architecture and civil engineering classes because they didn't know how to build poo poo in a realistically simulated environment without all their poo poo falling down or being ugly as gently caress or just horribly unstable.

Those were buildings (something we've been making forever) on Mars (1/3rd gravity, so it's easier to make stuff that doesn't fall down) in a game series that absolutely prioritized fun over realism and wasn't afraid to sacrifice reality at a moment's notice for cool factor.

Now expand that to spaceships. My brain hurts just thinking about it. In order for this to work, someone at CIG has to be capable of designing and engineering fully functional spaceships. Literally. And even if it works, it will still run into a billion edge case scenarios where it just doesn't work.

Unless CIG cheats and creates some class of new materials. Things with unrealistic young's modulus', expansion coefficients, thermal efficiencies, hardness...... Things that are unobtainable in the materials we use now. They could call it Unobtainium, and use it throughout their spaceships to avoid running into pitfalls like "why do all my ships split in half the moment our maneuvering jets kick on," and "My ship crumples like a tin can whenever I fire the on-keel rail gun with the engines running," and "My off-keel railgun detached the moment I fired it."

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

cmdrk posted:

Obviously CIG will not do anything they promise, but just pretending they did try to build a materials engineering simulator.. why would you get paid slave wages at CIG vs making really good money in the actual aerospace industry making actual things that go to actual space?

Just look at the tank model and Shaman Tank Spec's awesome effort posts about why their tanks are so painfully stupid.

Exactly. Anyone who is capable of doing what needs to be done to make this work could go literally anywhere they wanted in the actual space industry.

It's obviously just more bullshit to fleece money from people, but drat. I guess if you're going to lie, lie big.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Nicholas posted:

now try it for three masses

You'd have to calculate the distance from your ship to the objects in x,y,z, then calculate the effect of gravity along those 3 vectors. Add all the forces on like vectors together and apply the final answer to your ship.

You can do this to any number of objects, you just need to set up some reasonable distances at which to cull the effects so you don't try to calculate the effect of every object in the universe on your ship at all times. But, fidelity.

CIG, give me money.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Popete posted:

I'm beginning to think SQ42 may never formally release, they'll just put it out as a test alpha thus shielding it from any real game review criticism.

Doesn't Fortnite still say it's a beta when you first open it up? CIG's totally going to do the same, if SQ42 ever sees the light of day.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

DigitalPenny posted:

Here Rests Star Citizen.

The warning at Yucca Mountain works pretty well.

quote:

This place is a message… and part of a system of messages… pay attention to it!Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I still believe with 100% certainty that something Squadron 42ish will eventually be released.

I assume it’s going to come in the form of an unintended release, much like Half Life 2’s early leak, only in really terrible shape. It’s going to be broken, buggy, completely unfun, and probably with 2-3 somewhat working levels. And CIG will use this to garner goodwill from the backers by saying, “see this is why we haven’t released anything yet! All the fundamentals are there we just have to polish polish polish” and that’s the last we will ever see or hear of it.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Has anyone managed to get 2 tanks on the same planet and then had a tank battle yet?

Is World of Tanks going to feel threatened by CIG’s super immersive tank physics simulator?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

commando in tophat posted:

You have to wait for planets to align so that two tanks can not explode going up and down a ramp

Oh, I thought it was just the ships that explode when you go up and down a ramp. I guess it makes sense that everything would explode though, for the same reason chairs and lamps explode in goldeneye.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Sandweed posted:

Mechwarior online and Prey.

I honestly didn’t believe you about Prey and had to look it up. But I’m even more surprised at Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

lobsterminator posted:

Pretty sure it would have to be rebuilt from the ground up. And this time make the ground solid so players don't pass through it :dadjoke:

This.

You could keep the general concept (massively multiplayer every game ever made and some you haven't even conceived of yet), but every bit of the game would need to be scraped and rebuilt from the ground up.

It needs to be torn all the way down, down to the concept art and beyond, and started anew in Unreal 5. But, at that point, it's not Star Citizen anymore.

So no. I don't think you could give Star Citizen and all of its assets to anyone and hope for any better than we're getting right now. We're past the point where things can be salvaged and shaped into a releasable game that will score 70+ on metacritic.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

dieselfruit posted:

Assuming that the ship models are the only things that are worth salvaging (and let's be honest)

Obviously you’ll be able to pay a discounted rate to use your ship in Star Citizen 2: Electric Boogaloo. But if you don’t have an original ship you’ll have to slave away in the rare crystal mine (that will be implemented later) for years to afford it with in game money. Buy it now! It’s an investment!

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Kosumo posted:

I fear our goon fleets janitor to captain ratio is getting too low, we don't want to be known as the org with all the dirty Idris. (It's going to be hard to use slaves to clean our fleet after we have cut their limbs off - any ideas?)

Robot bodies for all goons. You don't make space waste if you run off of clean burning coal!

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Kosumo posted:

What is the coal planet, I have so many land claims to put down.

It’s going to be added in a future update, along with coal bearing asteroids for mining.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

This is kinda amazing.

quote:

The Icarus 2 mission accomplished the primary objective of determining the nature of the star, which is a collision-less one-sided 3D illuminated object. Below the surface of the Stanton star, there is no illumination and you are able to see the Stanton system skybox with no Stanton star visible. The core of the Stanton star remains a further 696,000km away.

10 years and it’s not even an interactive sun.

quote:

The members of Deep Space Crew are grateful for the work CiG developers around the world have invested into making this a game everyone can enjoy and live out their verse life.

This sounds like the CIG threatened their lives or something.

quote:

The crew experienced the full gamut of obstacles that could have derailed the mission, ranging from server crashes/30ks, infinite load screen, health of the player avatar and ship component failures.

I looooove how the ‘full gamut of obstacles’ only includes different ways the game can poo poo itself, and not gameplay.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Pharnakes posted:

No wait, I've got it, sell them for double the price as used gamergurl ships.

It still has GaMeRGiRl argon in it!

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

mdxi posted:

https://kotaku.com/first-it-was-an-assassins-creed-expansion-now-its-ubis-1847326742

Apparently Ubisoft has spent the past 8 years making an Assassins Creed game whose development history mirrors that of Star Citizen to an absurd an/or frightening and/or hilarious degree.

The only real differences are: (1) Ubi's money being wasted instead of backers', and (2) a giant management structure to blame instead of 3-4 grifter/incompetents.

Pirate games are space ship games on a 2D plane, so this truly a case of life mimicking art.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

L. Ron Hoover posted:

On the other hand, Star Citizen is now starting to make loot tables in year 10, which consists stuff you can buy in their store. So there's bad, and then there's very bad.

Obviously loot tables are only a temporary solution. In reality, all “loot” is going to have a history, and be traceable back to the player or NPC owned factory that created it. Storage chests and boxes around settlements will be filled by NPCs stockpiling goods to complete dreams of being store owners, arms dealers, or just back woods farmers.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Dwesa posted:

Have you been honestly impressed by future depicted in Starship Troopers movie without noticing any satire?

Hey I dated a girl who liked Starship Troopers thought it was played 100% straight and how things should be.

She was hosed up, and kinda nerdy. I bet she has an Idris.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 11, 2021

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Lammasu posted:

Am I stupid for not being able to finish the Starship Troopers book? I mean half the drat thing is boot camp.

Verhoeven didn’t even get that far, so you’re in good company.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Popete posted:

It's a test bed to fine tune the balance of their large scale mmo.

Except their MMO will supposedly cover vast distances with no quick respawns and thus testing it in a fast paced short respawn battlefield knock off environment makes no sense.

Part of their MMO experience is going to be unlimited experiences, so getting the first person shooty bits right is important. Once it’s perfected, they’ll just bolt it onto Star Citizen, flip a few switches, and boom. Done. Star citizen is going to kill CoD overnight with the practically unlimited maps and deep deep FPS experience.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Valatar posted:

It's valid for big ships to have room for lots of people for situations where someone crams their guild into one big ship. The whale buys the big ship and their various buddies all jump on to man turrets and get a ride along to wherever they're going. The old pitch was that there'd be gameplay to actually need more people than just gunners, but of course none of those scanners or repair teams or whatever have seen the light of day. I'm sure they're coming any day now.

First they have to rebuilt every ship in the game to have miles of conduit and tubes that can break before they can implement the gun that shoots a green beam that fixes the damage. But that won’t comes for 4-6 months after damage comes, and it won’t always work.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Honestly, it might actually have been true at the time, but they had to scrap all their work and start over. I'm not sure which possibility is worse.

It was true, there was only 1 level. There’s probably still only one level, but the older builds of it work way better than the new builds and none of the devs can figure out why.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The best public example of this kind of thing is when the devs of Star Marine made everything in the wrong scale compared to the PU and basically none of the work could translate.

Really? They forgot that the Star Citizen universe takes place in a teenyverse?

Star Citizen never stops giving.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Let’s assume for a minute that all of this becomes real.

Even if the penalties for death are super high, who is going to sit around and let their character be tortured instead of just suiciding?

Are these people sitting around fantasizing about performing rimworld level surgery and human rights abuses on others willing to be the ones subjected to that same gameplay?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

L. Ron Hoover posted:

So SC is either like every MMO out there, or it's like no MMO ever made, depending on how you feel. Also it's not an MMO.

Buy Steal an Idris.

Stop spreading FUD. The Star Citizen you can play right now is just a test bed for various gameplay elements. It in no way represents the real game that RSI is working on behind closed doors. They just put stuff into the test bed when they can’t figure out how to make it work in their internal build.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Fuuuuuuuck that. This is one of the reasons I swore off MMOs and "live service" games - I dispose games forcing into their schedule instead of being able to play on mine. It boggles my mind that people want this.

For real. Battle passes have this effect on me. If I see something I really want, but I would have to grind extra hard to get or it’s gone forever, gently caress that game.

That said, as long as I don’t care about the battlepass or anything in it in the slightest, I don’t seem to run into this problem.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

CitCon is still a thing? It's gotta be all digital by now, right? Even if covid wasn't a thing, they haven't done enough work in the last 2 years to show anything to anyone, what could they possibly be hyping to show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Mirificus posted:

**This tells you something about Squadron 42. It is not 'event driven' the communication doesn't start because you walked into the briefing room, it would happen even if you weren't there because in Squadron 42 events happen according to a timeline, not according to what you do.

Holy poo poo I thought all the stuff about Chris wanting to make movies not games was just his over obsession with cutscenes and actors. gently caress no, the whole game (that doesn’t exist) is supposed to be a cutscene from start to finish.

How are they going to tie this strict timeline with their Quanta AI engine? What if Luke Skywalker gets an unstoppable desire to eat a hamburger from the hotdog stand on the other side of the city right before the big fight is going to go down?

Or are they going to rip all of the quanta stuff out of Squadron 42 and make the game an on the rails experience a la House of the Dead?

Or did I just put more thought into why a dedicated, set in stone timeline of events is a terrible idea if you need your players to be in the right place at the right time to see important moments than they did?