Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Minidust posted:

in all seriousness, mastering the basic back and front bumps will cover like 99% of moves you're likely to take! Looking back on my limited ring time, I think the only sells that really threw me were a CrossRhodes-like maneuver and a mis-timed Pedigree

Thats basically the same as judo, the remaining like 1% is when you get foot swept out of your shoes and have to break sideways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

At the latest GCW show in Detroit, Matt Cardona did a "Boo! Yeah!" spot using Danhausen and his action figures.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Open Marriage Night posted:

At the latest GCW show in Detroit, Matt Cardona did a "Boo! Yeah!" spot using Danhausen and his action figures.

I don't understand what I'm supposed to be picturing here

were they both using action figures to hit each other?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The337th posted:

I'm imaging cardonia using a Zack Ryder action figure to slap a danhausen action figure wielded by danhausen. It sounds great.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gaz-L posted:

This is one of those things where it's hard to divorce yourself from your current knowledge, because I can't think of anything especially mindblowing Michaels and Janetty did back in the day, they were just doing the same stuff a dozen other RnR Express ripoffs were doing, just they did it better than almost anyone but Morton and Gibson.

The Midnight Rockers were so much better than The Rock-n-Roll Express. Michaels and Jannetty were doing things that Morton & Gibson couldn't even attempt.

Also The Rockerplex was superior to the Double Dropkick

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Alaois posted:

Chris Jericho told a now-famous story where the first time WWE did one of those gimmick PPVs where matches were decided by fan vote it was actually a shoot and they genuinely didn't know what matches were gonna happen, and his match ended up being against Shelton Benjamin who he'd never wrestled before. So they're calling the match in the ring, and Jericho asks Shelton what his finisher is. Shelton says "T-Bone Suplex" but because they're in the middle of a match in a loud arena, Jericho can't hear him clearly so he hears "Beeboo Crawshanks" and thinks to himself "I have no idea how to set up or take the Beeboo Crawshanks"

It's such a great story. He tells it just as well (albeit slightly differently) in his book:

Chris Jericho in Undisputed posted:

It was an interesting concept and totally legitimate: none of the performers (including me) knew how many votes each match was getting until the show actually started. However, while all of the other workers at least knew who their opponent was (just not the stipulation), I had to prepare for an Intercontinental title match against one of eighteen possible contenders. Christian, Batista, Shelton Benjamin, Jonathan Coachman, Chuck Palumbo, Billy Gunn, Rosey, Outback Jack, and seemingly everybody else on the roster who wasn’t booked were potential opponents.

I went to the ring with absolutely no idea who I’d be facing for the title. Then a drumroll played and the results of the vote were put up on the Tron. Shelton’s music played and the crowd got to their feet, excited that he had won the election. Shelton was really getting over at the time and his offense and leaping ability were among the best I’d ever seen.

Incidentally, I hadn’t been told the finish beforehand either, and after a few seconds referee Mike Chioda told me that Vince wanted Shelton to go over with his finish. That was fine with me, but I’d never worked with Shelton before and had no idea what his finish even was. I whispered, “Okay, but what’s his finish?”

Mike looked at me funny and I could tell he was getting more instructions over the IFB that was jammed in his ear. He finally looked up, his instructions complete, and mumbled, “Tawboww munchex.”

I couldn’t understand what the hell he said, and I asked him again. “Huh? What’s his finish?”

“Beeboo Crawtaints.”

“What is it?”

“Steve-O Rufinks.”

Chioda had a habit of mumbling instructions while in the ring so fans wouldn’t understand what he was saying, but now I couldn’t understand him either. At that point I had the most confused scowl on my face, and when I saw myself on the Tron, I wondered if Vince thought I had that look because I was pissed that I had to drop the title. In reality I was just trying to decipher Chioda’s mumbo-jumbo. When Shelton climbed into the ring, I told him he was winning the match with his finish. He had to suppress a smile as he heard what Vince wanted, and I hissed at him to stop grinning and tell me his finish already.

“T-bone suplex,” he whispered with an exultant look on his face.

The match began and I called the whole thing in the ring, which was a challenge, but it turned out to be one of my favorite performances ever. It was such a rush to be flying by the seat of my spandex live without a net, and I got into a zone. Finally I shot Shelton into the corner, and when he reversed me I jumped straight to the second turnbuckle and leaped back toward him.

I wasn’t sure what a T-Bone Suplex was, so I came off with my arms and legs extended like Patrick the starfish. I figured that no matter what it was, he could give it to me if I gave him enough space. Sure enough, he caught me in midair and flipped me over his head for the three-count and the victory.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The337th posted:

I wish. Cardona would hold up his figure: “Boo!” Then he’d hold up Danhausen’s “Yeah!” This went back and forth for a minute until he attacked the Danhausen figure: “Boo!” Danhausen then attacks Matt Cardona “Yeah!”

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Sounds like the Daryl spot at the Chicago NJPW show was more fun.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

One time I misheard MJF telling me to do a basic front bump on a move and I somehow did the only perfect flip bump I will ever do in my life off what I think was supposed to be a snapmare. :allears:

neat !! :)

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I'm trying to watch some old PWG stuff and Excalibur and Disco Machine are doing commentary and it is incredibly out of pocket. Was this pretty common for indy promotions in the early/mid 2000s? I'm hoping they'll chill out a bit as I keep watching. An unfortunate factor of the time I guess.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s just how the mid 2000s was. They grew up eventually just like the rest of us.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

apophenium posted:

I'm trying to watch some old PWG stuff and Excalibur and Disco Machine are doing commentary and it is incredibly out of pocket. Was this pretty common for indy promotions in the early/mid 2000s? I'm hoping they'll chill out a bit as I keep watching. An unfortunate factor of the time I guess.

edgy humour was the thing at the time. A lot of us had yet to notice that a lot of folk were using that edginess as cover for genuine racism and bigotry. Disco and Excalibur were probably among the worst for Mexican jokes, but early ROH has insane misogyny and a good deal of homophobia too. it's all aged like bread

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
It's pretty wild. It's worse than some of the Ventrilo servers I used to hang out on.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

have i got a thread for you

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Suplex Liberace posted:

have i got a t***** (word that would be the singular form of the title of a film about the potential horrors of nuclear war in 1980s Britain) for you

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Suplex Liberace posted:

have i got a thread for you

What is it

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

you hosed up, now you gotta go search and dig up the link

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

It's got one of the all-time great imdb credits.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

early ROH has insane misogyny and a good deal of homophobia too.

the very first match iirc

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

apophenium posted:

What is it

one poster cataloging all the various slurs, bigotry, and other unsavory bits of wrestling. They were hated for it and i will not be linking the thread Shard.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

the very first match iirc

Oh yes, they really started off with a bang. Though that was far from the only one, the early shows with Steve Corino & either Eric Gargulo or Donnie B were wretched. Gabe would get so horny for any woman on the screen. Or at least his commentary alter-ego Chris Lovey, but that's still the boss.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And the announcers would just be vile when the Christopher Street Connection was out there but the crowd usually was into them.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Is there any reason Tuesday was selected as the day for shows like Taboo Tuesday and Tuesday in Texas?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I'd wager it's merely for the alliteration. And Tuesday over Thursday for the hard T but maybe someone knows for sure

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

The D in Detroit posted:

Is there any reason Tuesday was selected as the day for shows like Taboo Tuesday and Tuesday in Texas?

Tuesday is traditionally a slow day for bars and restaurants. The thinking is probably that it was the weeknight they'd be most likely to capture an audience.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The FTC just approved a ban on noncompete clauses in the US. I wonder if this will have any impact on wrestling companies, or if they’ll continue to skate by on the “independent contractor” line?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

The FTC just approved a ban on noncompete clauses in the US. I wonder if this will have any impact on wrestling companies, or if they’ll continue to skate by on the “independent contractor” line?

Anyone who actually knows what they’re talking about can feel free to correct me, but I’ve heard that WWE doesn’t technically use non-compete clauses for wrestlers. When they release someone, they technically are just giving them notice that they’ll be released in 90 days. They’re still under contract, just not being used, for those 90 days. If that’s true, I don’t think this would actually affect them, but I’m by no means a legal expert.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Diabolik900 posted:

Anyone who actually knows what they’re talking about can feel free to correct me, but I’ve heard that WWE doesn’t technically use non-compete clauses for wrestlers. When they release someone, they technically are just giving them notice that they’ll be released in 90 days. They’re still under contract, just not being used, for those 90 days. If that’s true, I don’t think this would actually affect them, but I’m by no means a legal expert.

That’s what I remember too now that you mention it, so maybe it’s just a semantics thing that’s easier to explain as “non-compete” succinctly.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

do all wrestlers spend a lot of time in the gym? or does it vary a lot

just like, looking at roman's body vs cody was a stark constrast at wrestlemania. also thinking about sheamus eating pies.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

https://x.com/erikmagraken/status/1782891282634846285

As others have said it depends on if as suspected people are just given 90 days notice and then aren't used, or if they actually have a non-compete, but theoretically it looks like if the latter then it should be banned. Big if though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Wouldn't that also apply to straight up quitting unless WWE wants to keep paying their salary too?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

You'd think so, although challenging that would risk, best case, burning your bridges with WWE or even a long, drawn out and extortionate legal battle which a billion dollar company has a much better chance of enduring than a single wrestler

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
It really would depend on if the company wants you or not.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

I'd bet this is down to the Lesnar thing, where I think he really was under a non-compete but had enough resources and is also, y'know, Brock so was stubborn enough to fight them on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

It really would depend on if the company wants to spite you or not.

Fixed.