Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

PASS THE MASH posted:

I think he used to come out to the real one

of course Biff Busick came out to Bro Hymn lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

An oldy, but a goody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPZpz9G3Qxk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBLzFeOHtnM

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

This was the first one I ever deduced as a ripoff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's the same car in Razor and Foley's theme.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Razor Foley is a great wrestler name.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpRll6ar9tE

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Does Bayleys new theme rip off paint it black? I have no sense of music but it's all I hear

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
This could honestly be its own thread

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

anakha posted:

Going by star ratings, the highest-rated WWF match he was ever in was the 95 Rumble at 3.5 stars. After that, it's his Summerslam 93 countout win over Yoko at 2.75 stars.

...that's pretty loving dire.

Looking up on Cagematch, most of his TV matches were just squashes which probably didn't help.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

OK I have been thinking about Bayley, and her unlikely transition to being a phenomenal heel.

Because she is, for want of a better phrase, a "smiley" heel as opposed to an "angry" heel.

So I was wondering, who else did "smiley" heel well? And as a secondary question, do you prefer "smiley" heels to "angry" heels"?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

eddie was the best smiley heel to me but he was still a face because he was so beloved for it so maybe that doesn't count.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Asuka is smiley although really while WWE have presented her as both a face and heel her alignment is always just “Asuka”

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The best smiley heels were the Fabulous Rougeaus. Even their theme song was fake smiley heel bullshit.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

jesus WEP posted:

Asuka is smiley although really while WWE have presented her as both a face and heel her alignment is always just “Asuka”

I've never understood how Asuka is always smiling.

And I don't speak Japanese, but I love the gently caress out of her promos.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'd not say he's the best at it, but Bo Dallas NXT superstar too oblivious to realise nobody likes him was really good stuff of the variety I really miss from NXT now

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Cavauro posted:

eddie was the best smiley heel to me but he was still a face because he was so beloved for it so maybe that doesn't count.

He also had this really vicious side and people laugh about it now but his feud with Rey over Dominic had a lot of heat and big reactions from the crowd and Eddie was really menacing, but definitely my favorite Eddie was the lovable cheater.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

OK I have been thinking about Bayley, and her unlikely transition to being a phenomenal heel.

Because she is, for want of a better phrase, a "smiley" heel as opposed to an "angry" heel.

So I was wondering, who else did "smiley" heel well? And as a secondary question, do you prefer "smiley" heels to "angry" heels"?

Kurt Angle did both very well, but I'm partial to his smiling work.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I Before E posted:

Kurt Angle did both very well, but I'm partial to his smiling work.

I would argue Kurt Angle's smiley heel work is more similar thematically to Bo Dallas's heel who doesn't know they are a heel, than it is to Eddie Guerera and Bayley's michevious gleefull baddies.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Well, could you define 'smiley'? This could apply to Rowdy Roddy Piper, Mr. Perfect, Rick "The Model" Martel, or Doink the Clown.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
WWE is basically burning money by not promoting Asuka’s YouTube channel where she builds arcade cabinets and stuff and she’s absolutely adorable doing it. Having that sort of smiley nerdy character that will still lose her mind and kick the poo poo out of you in the ring is brilliant and they just won’t do it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Did Dino and Quake have a tag team name? They tagged a lot during the Earthquake/Hogan feud, and I swore they had a name. I always thought "The Hulkbusters" would be a good name.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Reminded me of my favorite Scott Hall theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de_CYCyy9Mo&t=106s

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

trust me

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Red posted:

Did Dino and Quake have a tag team name? They tagged a lot during the Earthquake/Hogan feud, and I swore they had a name. I always thought "The Hulkbusters" would be a good name.

No, they were announced as Earthquake and Dino Bravo

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I've been teleworking for a while, and that doesn't seem to have any end in sight, so I usually put on old wrestling in the background while I work.

Here are some random questions:

1. Did Bad News Brown not have theme music, ever?
2. Is Haku actually related to The Rock and the Anoaʻi family?
3. Holy cow Big Boss Man could really move in his early WWF career, especially for a big guy. He looked like an absolute monster in his initial heel run, but his face turn ended up making him into a middlecard face that just kind of got lost in the shuffle, and he didn't look anywhere near as impressive. Did something happen health-wise to slow him down, or was he just that coked up when he first came in? Also, how do you die of a heart attack at 41??
4. Not to pick on Jim Neidhart, but once the Hart Foundation broke up, did he have any decent matches that weren't big multi-man tag matches (like the IYH: Canadian Stampede show)? Everything I've ever read about his backstage stuff says he was terrible and unreliable, but Bret liked him, which gave him numerous chances.
5. Why did Genichiro Tenryu seem to show up in the WWF every 2 years or so? I've read that he's extremely well-liked and easy to work with, so that helped, but was it a talent exchange thing?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Haku isn't part of the Anoa'i family, but he's got his own extensive family tree in wrestling. Three of his sons (Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa, Hikuleo) are working in New Japan right now.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Red posted:

4. Not to pick on Jim Neidhart, but once the Hart Foundation broke up, did he have any decent matches that weren't big multi-man tag matches (like the IYH: Canadian Stampede show)? Everything I've ever read about his backstage stuff says he was terrible and unreliable, but Bret liked him, which gave him numerous chances.

C'mon, he didn't have any decent matches BEFORE the Hart Foundation broke up either. Bret had decent matches at which Neidhart was present.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Red posted:

I've been teleworking for a while, and that doesn't seem to have any end in sight, so I usually put on old wrestling in the background while I work.

Here are some random questions:

1. Did Bad News Brown not have theme music, ever?
2. Is Haku actually related to The Rock and the Anoaʻi family?
3. Holy cow Big Boss Man could really move in his early WWF career, especially for a big guy. He looked like an absolute monster in his initial heel run, but his face turn ended up making him into a middlecard face that just kind of got lost in the shuffle, and he didn't look anywhere near as impressive. Did something happen health-wise to slow him down, or was he just that coked up when he first came in? Also, how do you die of a heart attack at 41??
5. Why did Genichiro Tenryu seem to show up in the WWF every 2 years or so? I've read that he's extremely well-liked and easy to work with, so that helped, but was it a talent exchange thing?

At the time the company he worked for (SWS & then later WAR) had an agreement with WWF. So he & Koji Kitao were on Wrestlemania 7, in 1992 there was a Ric Flair vs Tenryu title match on a Japanese co-promoted show (also had Undertaker vs Haku & Animal vs The Beverly Brothers). Pinnacle of the agreement was Wrestlefest at the Dome, you have Tenryu & Hogan teaming against The Road Warriors, Hart Foundation vs The Rockers, Masakatsu Funaki vs Naoki Sano and Haku & DiBiase vs Ishikawa & Great Kabuki.

Slightly surreal. But it didn't really last past '94

Also think that Boss Man had an enlarged heart so the assumption is some mix of steroids & other drugs.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I came from an extended family of 15 brothers and sisters (my mom, not me) and I can say that the thing with families that large is like you don't even know who everyone is and there's always people who you think are family who actually are just long time family friends but like they've always been there so you had no idea until it came up.

As I understand that's what Peter Maivia and the Rock are. They're not actually blood but their families have been close for generations and for all intents and purposes they're part of the clan.

I think Snuka, Haku, and Barbarian all kind of get mixed in there as well because of how much their lives intertwined but I don't know how that extends to their kids. Like you don't necessarily give a poo poo about your parents' friends' kids.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Benne posted:

Haku isn't part of the Anoa'i family, but he's got his own extensive family tree in wrestling. Three of his sons (Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa, Hikuleo) are working in New Japan right now.

STAC Goat posted:

I came from an extended family of 15 brothers and sisters (my mom, not me) and I can say that the thing with families that large is like you don't even know who everyone is and there's always people who you think are family who actually are just long time family friends but like they've always been there so you had no idea until it came up.

As I understand that's what Peter Maivia and the Rock are. They're not actually blood but their families have been close for generations and for all intents and purposes they're part of the clan.

I think Snuka, Haku, and Barbarian all kind of get mixed in there as well because of how much their lives intertwined but I don't know how that extends to their kids. Like you don't necessarily give a poo poo about your parents' friends' kids.

Yeah, I figured Haku wasn't related by blood, but it's confusing to see articles where Rock supposedly refers to Haku as an uncle. Plus, I thought the Haku/Rikishi tag team was a cousin thing, but apparently not.

For the longest time, I thought all of the Samoans in pro wrestling were somehow related, except for Samoa Joe.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

haku is tongan, not samoan

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Smoking Crow posted:

haku is tongan, not samoan

So is Barbarian. And Snuka was Fijian. But they always got booked with the Anoa'is so to some extent or another they get mixed up in there.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Son of a bitch, I never caught that - thanks for smartening me up!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
To answer #1, BNB didn’t have music in the WWF. Everyone having music wasn’t a thing until a few years later.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Nut Bunnies posted:

To answer #1, BNB didn’t have music in the WWF. Everyone having music wasn’t a thing until a few years later.

Correct, only Hulk Hogan had music at first, because Hulk Hogan invented the idea of having entrance music. When he explained the idea to Vince, Vince was like "Whaaaaaat? I don't think that will ever work! But if you're really sure, Hulk, then I guess I'll let you try it. But if it doesn't work, you'll be fired!" And then when Hogan walked out to Eye of the Tiger and the roof blew off the place, he knew he'd changed the business forever, and when he got to the back, Vince walked up to him and said "I'm sorry, Hulk. I shouldn't have doubted you. Is there any way I could ever make it up to you?" And then Hulk nodded and said "dude, you can make it up to me by getting music for everyone else too, that way we're gonna make a ton more money and everyone will seem like a big star."

Yes, I read Hulk Hogan's book, why do you ask?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Defiance Industries posted:

Correct, only Hulk Hogan had music at first, because Hulk Hogan invented the idea of having entrance music. When he explained the idea to Vince, Vince was like "Whaaaaaat? I don't think that will ever work! But if you're really sure, Hulk, then I guess I'll let you try it. But if it doesn't work, you'll be fired!" And then when Hogan walked out to Eye of the Tiger and the roof blew off the place, he knew he'd changed the business forever, and when he got to the back, Vince walked up to him and said "I'm sorry, Hulk. I shouldn't have doubted you. Is there any way I could ever make it up to you?" And then Hulk nodded and said "dude, you can make it up to me by getting music for everyone else too, that way we're gonna make a ton more money and everyone will seem like a big star."

Yes, I read Hulk Hogan's book, why do you ask?

The greatest heel move ever was Paul Orndorff coming out to Real American. And putting a hand to his ear during pin attempts.

Mr. Wonderful was a simple but awesome heel.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Most Wrestler Heart Attacks like Bossman were probably drug related. If it wasn't steroids, it was that the insane WWE schedule meant everyone was on painkillers. You mix those with a lot of things and your heart tends to explode

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Red posted:

Yeah, I figured Haku wasn't related by blood, but it's confusing to see articles where Rock supposedly refers to Haku as an uncle. Plus, I thought the Haku/Rikishi tag team was a cousin thing, but apparently not.

For the longest time, I thought all of the Samoans in pro wrestling were somehow related, except for Samoa Joe.

Joe's said that's more by choice than anything, he's pretty sure if he dug around someone in his family has some connection to the extended Anoa'i clan, but he chose not to tie himself to them professionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing is that like... a lot of the Samoans/Pacific Islanders in wrestler are from the same family so then the way wrestling goes even if you're not in the family you seem to end up with them.

So like Haku/Meng and Barbarian are from Tonga and trained and tagged together. But Haku gets to WWE and gets put in The Islanders with Sam Fatu aka Tama/Tonga Kid. Then years later Barbarian's in WWE and he gets put with the Headshrinkers and tags with Rikishi Fatu, Sam's brother. And Barbarian is replacing an injured Samu, the Fatus' cousin, and they're managed by Afa, Samu's dad and the Fatus' uncle. So when Meng and Barbarian get back together late in their careers as the Faces of Fear they've both spent all this time when they were away from each other with the same family.

Then like, Sonny Siaki wasn't related to the Anoa'is but during the course of his fairly short career he managed to tag with the third Fatu brother Ekmo/Umaga in TNA and then with their cousin (and Samu's brother) Afa Jr/Manu. And Afa would go on to team with Deuce Snuka, the son of Jimmy Snuka, who worked and traveled and had a close relationship with Sam Fatu.

And then like even within the family Ekmo/Umaga teamed with his cousin (and Roman Reign's brother) Rosey in 3 Minute Warning/the Samoan Gangstas who first debuted in WWE in an angle with Rikishi.

And then there's Yokozuna, the Anoa'i basically presented as Japanese.

So like I think the way wrestling surprisingly always books people who look similar or come from roughly the same place together and the fact that so many pacific islanders in wrestling are in fact Anoa'is means that a lot of the non-Anoa'is just developed relationships with them, especially in the 80s, from the tagging and traveling and profiling and stuff.

So while I don't know the exact nature of their relationship I imagine that's how Haku becomes Rock's "uncle" despite the fact that not only are they not blood relatives (or even from the same island ancestry) but neither is a member of the family that probably links them.

I am not an expert on any of this and if I got something wrong I very much apologize.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 3, 2020