Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Edge & Christian posted:

Tatanka debuted on WWF television in January 1992, and his main run lasted a little over four years, during which time he got two Intercontinental title matches (both on TV, not PPV) and one tag team title shot. His highest profile victory was against Lex Luger in 1994, probably.

Baron Corbin's main roster debut was at Wrestlemania in 2016, so he's already lasted longer than Tatanka, and has consistently been booked stronger than Tatanka. I know he's generally lost most of his big matches and pretty much everyone thinks they sucked but he's main evented PPVs, won King of the Ring, won Money in the Bank, gotten world title shots, hell he main evented Smackdown two days ago, which is higher on the card than Tatanka ever was.

Not that he (or Tatanka honestly) should have gotten big nostalgia pops, I guess my point is that as bad as the current shows are and as few people are watching them, there's at least Stuff to Remember about Baron Corbin, more than Tatanka.

But again, if you're from a hot era, even if you didn't really do much in that era, you're going to get a bigger nostalgia pop than someone who got pushed relatively hard in a dead period. Hacksaw Jim Duggan and The Godfather would get bigger 'return pops' in a nostalgia battle royal than Carlito and Vladimir Kozlov.

Considering how much Corbin is on TV and booked in main event angles it’s actually surprising how few titles he’s held in WWE. His biggest accomplishments have been more symbolic ones like MITB and KOTR, essentially just glorified #1 contender spots that were kinda unnecessary when he feuds with the world champs so often.

I think the the only main roster title he had was a single US championship run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Weird question but what are the best wrestling shows for sleeping? The first Wrestlemania is shot so dimly lit and hazy, I find it very relaxing, any other shows that give that vibe?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I find the WCW syndicated shows from the 90s to be really good for that. Pull up a Worldwide on Main Event on youtube and fall asleep.

Also any 80s territory stuff is great - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT205hrrP-OuPGHmIzOEYNA

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Eat My Fuc posted:

Weird question but what are the best wrestling shows for sleeping? The first Wrestlemania is shot so dimly lit and hazy, I find it very relaxing, any other shows that give that vibe?

1994 Big Egg Wrestling Universe show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JOHN CENA posted:

weirdly the hiring of the gymini caused matt bentley to receive a cease and desist from using the Michael Shane stage name

Huge win for Maverick Matt there.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Monkeycheese posted:

If I recall correctly they burned his undefeated streak on Ludvig Borga too... which in retrospect didn't pay off

Eh, it paid off well enough. Luger beating Borga at the climax of the following Survivor Series was the payoff to that feud and was one of the biggest wins in Luger's WWF run. Plus Tatanka's loss and kayfabe injury from it meant having the Undertaker replace him at Survivor Series, which led to a year and a half of bonkers storytelling and Undertaker's first face title shot.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
It always seemed like Tatanka was accidentally given an undefeated streak.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I'm weirdly resentful of that to this day. I have no idea why. I never even much liked him. I just really don't like calling him Matt Bentley or some reason. Even though... you know... its his name.

I don't get it.

I mean... how often do you have to call him anything? This is the first time in probably a decade I've even thought about him

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rusty Shackelford posted:

It always seemed like Tatanka was accidentally given an undefeated streak.

I remember one episode of Superstars had him up against Kamala. I was immediately interested because they had been playing up Tatanka's streak enough, but Kamala seemed too high on the ladder for Tatanka to go through. That sounds silly, but at the time, he was feuding with the Undertaker. I was curious how hard they were pushing Tatanka in light of that.

Instead of going through with the match, Kamala was instead scared off by the Undertaker.

For the hell of it, here are the named guys Tatanka had wins over prior to losing to Borga:

- Rick Martel
- Kato
- The Mountie
- The Berzerker
- Blake Beverly
- Repo Man
- Papa Shango
- Damien Demento
- Kamala (count out)
- Shawn Michaels
- Razor Ramon (house show)
- Skinner
- MOTHERFUCKING HORACE HOGAN
- Doink (house show)
- Giant Gonzalez (DQ)
- Terry Taylor
- Lex Luger (house show)
- Bam Bam Bigelow (house show)
- Mr. Hughes (count out)
- Bastion Booger

Surprisingly, while Tatanka got a count out win over Michaels at WrestleMania 9, the setup was that Tatanka cleanly pinned Michaels in a non-title match on Superstars. This is the earliest instance I know of them doing this trope.

Also, even after losing the streak, they still put him over Diesel on the house show circuit, albeit through count out. Shortly after, they started doing house show title matches against Yokozuna. They were mostly Tatanka winning by DQ, but gradually just became Yokozuna wins.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I like that the awful app highlighted your post for me

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Gavok posted:

Eh, it paid off well enough. Luger beating Borga at the climax of the following Survivor Series was the payoff to that feud and was one of the biggest wins in Luger's WWF run. Plus Tatanka's loss and kayfabe injury from it meant having the Undertaker replace him at Survivor Series, which led to a year and a half of bonkers storytelling and Undertaker's first face title shot.

My main response to that is holy poo poo Luger's WWF run was a pile of poo poo

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Gaz-L posted:

I mean... how often do you have to call him anything? This is the first time in probably a decade I've even thought about him
Good news, MLW is posting its old 2003-2004 "MLW Underground" shows to YouTube and Michael Shane is on those! So now you can think about him (from 15+ years ago) every week!

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Speaking of awful WWE poo poo, remember the Minis?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

ARMBAR A COP posted:

It sucks that Mascarita Dorada and Mascarita Sagrada, two legitimately fantastic wrestlers, were both in WWE for years but never got the time their skill would allow because they were slotted into the Funny Little Mexican role.

Also it was the Juniors division, complete with birthday party balloon logo.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I Before E posted:

It sucks that Mascarita Dorada and Mascarita Sagrada, two legitimately fantastic wrestlers, were both in WWE for years but never got the time their skill would allow because they were slotted into the Funny Little Mexican role.

Also it was the Juniors division, complete with birthday party balloon logo.

And even more depressingly it was originally planned as a serious cruiserweight division, a WWE answer to the New Japan Super Juniors with people like Milano Collection AT and Mistico, but Johnny Ace took it off Court Bauer and just decided to book people like Super Porky in comedy matches instead.

bartok
May 10, 2006

ARMBAR A COP posted:

Not to familiar with little person wrestling outside of WWF but I remember that Max Mini was legit a really impressive athlete and put on some fun matches in 97-98. Shame those matches are filled with horrible little people jokes and WWF loves to do this thing where they treat little people like children which always creeped me out.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

bartok posted:

Not to familiar with little person wrestling outside of WWF but I remember that Max Mini was legit a really impressive athlete and put on some fun matches in 97-98. Shame those matches are filled with horrible little people jokes and WWF loves to do this thing where they treat little people like children which always creeped me out.

Yup! Just watched Max & Mr Lucky vs El Torito and Piratita Morgan last night. Some of the flips and counters into armdrags are loving insane.

This particular match suffered because Sunny was the guest ring announcer so Lawler was mixing short jokes with being a giant perv.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I could be mistaken, but whenever I watch a WWE mini match, there's always this weird noise in the background. It sounds like a man chortling wildly to himself, and it intensifies whenever the taller wrestlers get humiliated.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Your TV room is haunted by Brian Pillman. I hope you don't have carpet in there.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
What exactly was the deal with Mr. Hughes? He kept turning up in promotions throughout the nineties and his whole thing seems to be "suit, frowns."

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Claytor posted:

What exactly was the deal with Mr. Hughes? He kept turning up in promotions throughout the nineties and his whole thing seems to be "suit, frowns."

He had a cool look but was the pits in the ring.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Is there a reason why Lufisto has never been signed to a major promotion?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Vandar posted:

Is there a reason why Lufisto has never been signed to a major promotion?

WWE wouldn't sign a woman with her bodytype for years, and TNA really wouldn't either unless they had a wacky gimmick for her.

When things opened up where you didn't have to look a very specific way she was debating retirement and not a big enough name where WWE would just sign her to keep her away from other places.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

WWE wouldn't sign a woman with her bodytype for years, and TNA really wouldn't either unless they had a wacky gimmick for her.

When things opened up where you didn't have to look a very specific way she was debating retirement and not a big enough name where WWE would just sign her to keep her away from other places.

She also had a stroke at one point

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Remember the pay disparity thing that AJ Lee brought up that started the whole "Women's Revolution" thing in WWE?

Was that ever fixed or practically addressed in any way? I.E. Does WWE now pay it's women wrestlers comparably to it's men?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

Remember the pay disparity thing that AJ Lee brought up that started the whole "Women's Revolution" thing in WWE?

Was that ever fixed or practically addressed in any way? I.E. Does WWE now pay it's women wrestlers comparably to it's men?

I imagine a Charlotte Flair or Becky Lynch is paid something close to a top male star. Especially if you still get a bonus for main-eventing Mania. But Carmella or the like is probably still shat on.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/1308444031723081728

This tweet just gave me a nostalgia burst that made me come here. Can anyone fill me in on what happened to any of the famous Scoopsters of the early 2000s IWC? The Scott Keiths, Rajahs, Scotsmen (goon!) & Chris Hyattes and so many more I'll never remember. I visited these old wrestling sites daily and printed out reams of paper of news & columns from places like rajah, scoopthis, onlineonslaught, 411, lethalwrestling and so many more i can't name but can see the frontpage of in my head. Any info on where any of these sites or people went would be fun to read

Zoobtro fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 22, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Rajah is still around and last I checked looked exactly like it did in 1999

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zoobtro posted:

This tweet just gave me a nostalgia burst that made me come here. Can anyone fill me in on what happened to any of the famous Scoopsters of the early 2000s IWC? The Scott Keiths, Rajahs, Scotsmen (goon!) & Chris Hyattes and so many more I'll never remember. I visited these old wrestling sites daily and printed out reams of paper of news & columns from places like rajah, scoopthis, onlineonslaught, 411, lethalwrestling and so many more i can't name but can see the frontpage of in my head. Any info on where any of these sites or people went would be fun to read

Hyatte passed away this year

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This post reminded me that my earliest exposure to Puro news online was from Herb Kunze usenet posts in the 90's and now I feel old

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Zoobtro posted:

A college friend with whom I went to a bunch of shows/watched PPVs with circa 2000-2001 let me know a few years ago when we were catching up that he didn't watch wrestling anymore but still read Mr. Tito to stay up to date.

Though even Mr. Tito can no longer keep up the pace of a PHAT Daily Column, and last updated his blog in July.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

SatoshiMiwa posted:

This post reminded me that my earliest exposure to Puro news online was from Herb Kunze usenet posts in the 90's and now I feel old

Hello, fellow RSPW oldhead. Looks like someone thoughtfully archived some of his posts: http://rspw.org/tidbits/

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Scott Keith has his own blog/website and isn't as much of an rear end in a top hat as he used to be, but the comments sections and most of the other reviewers there are terrible.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Hyatte passed away this year

wow. your post lead me here, https://prowrestlingstories.com/pro-wrestling-stories/chris-hyatte-wrestling/ i guess this is exactly what i was looking for unfortunately

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Zoobtro posted:

CRZ is at https://crz.net/ and on Twitter: https://twitter.com/crz?s=21

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

RajahWWF forever, gently caress Lords of Pain

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I've started rewatching wrestling for the nostalgia kick during work from home lockdown and I've fallen deeeep into the rabbit hole and have many questions that don't deserve their own threads.

First I want to ask about IWA Kawasaki Dream / King of the Deathmatch 95. I was a big Foley fan as a kid and remember ordering this VHS from RF video. I rewatched the card last week and had a great time. I read Foley's first book but don't remember whether it was covered, and I'm curious about the booking of the main event and to what extent the weird ending is intentional.

So in the final it's Cactus Jack and Terry Funk, who have already had a cross-promotional feud for years at this point. The booking feels to me like it's setting up a babyface win for Terry, with Tiger Jeet Singh interfering in the match to help Cactus. The end comes when Terry, understandably frankly, just kinda keels over after knocking Foley off a ladder into the barbed wire ropes. Foley crawls over him for the pin, Terry kicks out late just after 3, and the ref calls it.

After that as Foley gets his hand raised Terry staggers off in pain without looking back. Foley stays in the ring yelling "Terry, don't go!". He gets a mic and keeps yelling Terry's name, then just says to the crowd, "Terry Funk is one hell of a man. Domo arigato!"

Now backstage, Foley cuts quite possibly the best drat promo in his life as he talks about how he was happy in the US but felt forced to follow Terry on a quest to Japan because the feud was eating away at him. He basks in the glow of having finally loving beaten Funk, but says he still doesn't feel like a king and wanted to shake Funk's hand. "He was hurt? Well so am I Terry!"

It's a pretty baffling sequence of events but also honestly works great, probably way better than a straightforward Funk win. Anybody got the story on this and to what extent it was planned?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Ah, the fun days of Scotsman vs The Internet Scoopsmen, where there was a leaderboard and you'd get points based on the most outlandish poo poo you could get wrestling scoop sites to print.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

jesus WEP posted:

Rajah is still around and last I checked looked exactly like it did in 1999
Same for my old haunts, moonsault.de

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Tato posted:

Ah, the fun days of Scotsman vs The Internet Scoopsmen, where there was a leaderboard and you'd get points based on the most outlandish poo poo you could get wrestling scoop sites to print.

Adrian Adonis signs with WWF was the greatest of all the fake news articles. I miss Scotsman’s old site that had the recaps of all his feuds.

For other old IWC personalities, last I heard was that Mike Samuda (MiCasa) committed fraud, Sean Shannon transitioned and then kind of disappeared, and Rick Scaia kind of kept Online Onslaught around for a while off and on.

Does anyone know what happened to Eric S. from 411? I can’t even remember how to spell his last name so I can’t google him.