Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

sticklefifer posted:

I was talking specifically about her strikes and her feud with Nyla, so it's not strange at all.

Yeah I really wanted to like her Nyla feud but it did not do it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Riho needs to do top rope double stomps to look like she's hurting somebody. She's still pretty good though. Her matches with Nyla rank among my favorite women's matches.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
As much as there are a lot of bad faith criticisms of Riho out there, it's absolutely true that it's too common for her offense—especially striking—to look like it doesn't have any weight behind it. She's shown an ability to adapt, but it's still something she needs to work on.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I’ve decided to try and get into AEW. I’ve gone back a few weeks and watching to catch up. I’m enjoying what I’m watching, though I’m still trying to get my head around who is feuding with who.

The Good Brothers are Impact champions yet on Dynamite. Isnt Impact TNA? That’s a completely different fed/show no? Can someone explain that to me?

Secondly, can’t say I was ever a massive Sting fan as I never watched WCW. Is he cleared to wrestle for AEW after what happened to his neck?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the quick answer is AEW doesn't pretend other promotions don't count/exist and they have a working relationship with TNA/Impact right now as Kenny Omega (the world champion)'s manager, Don Callis, is also the (legit) Executive Vice President of Impact.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

britishbornandbread posted:

I’ve decided to try and get into AEW. I’ve gone back a few weeks and watching to catch up. I’m enjoying what I’m watching, though I’m still trying to get my head around who is feuding with who.

The Good Brothers are Impact champions yet on Dynamite. Isnt Impact TNA? That’s a completely different fed/show no? Can someone explain that to me?

Secondly, can’t say I was ever a massive Sting fan as I never watched WCW. Is he cleared to wrestle for AEW after what happened to his neck?

Yes, TNA changed their name to Impact a couple years ago IIRC. After cheating the title away from Jon Moxley, Kenny was rushed out of the building by Impact EVP Don Callis who said they'd explain themselves on Tuesday, on Impact's show. Kenny met up with The Good Brothers and they've been appearing regularly on Dynamite ever since.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

I quite like that. It makes sense. The only thing is - isn’t TNA/Impact a bit historically poor/terrible? Why does it make sense for the newish up and coming fed associate with such a brand? Or have times changed so much?

Apropos, this Britt Baker is great.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

They are terrible, but it's really more of a problem with Impact's booking/lack of production than with the wrestlers

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

I quite like that. It makes sense. The only thing is - isn’t TNA/Impact a bit historically poor/terrible? Why does it make sense for the newish up and coming fed associate with such a brand? Or have times changed so much?

impact's still not fantastic, but its place in the land of wrestling promotions right now is more 'indie with a bunch of surprisingly talented people on its roster' compared to its old status as 'a place desperately trying to compete with wwe and failing.' impact is getting a lot more out of the partnership than aew is, certainly, but they're also in on the joke so it works okay

i haven't been watching (even though impact streams for free on twitch now for their shows) but i think the consensus is that if you do watch nothing past the stuff aew talent is involved in is really worth it, but if you want More Wrestling and aren't satisfied with dynamite + aew dark + the aew youtube tournament matches, you could always give it a shot

on 'doesn't this potentially hurt aew:' one of the things that aew leans into is that they're not the only place in the world where wrestling is happening. it's not hard to assume this is partially a reaction to how wwe treats people who have been wrestling for a decade plus in other promotions as New Fresh Faces Who Are Unproven, but also a lot of aew's wrestlers are people who have been in those other promotions and have a lot of working relationships and past storylines with people still employed over there + that can instantly add a lot more weight to new storylines and matches that you might not have otherwise

to give a different example, two weeks ago KENTA appeared on AEW to beat up Moxley. why? well, over in NJPW where he's employed he gained the right in August to challenge for the IWGP US Heavyweight Championship (a NJPW belt), something that Moxley has had since January 2020. boom, not only do you have a storyline on AEW between two fantastic wrestlers, you also are showing that AEW finally has an open working relationship with NJPW -- something that was thought to be so impossible people were referring to it as 'opening the forbidden door'

now the real cool thing is the week after they booked a match between Moxley and KENTA, they made it a four way with Kenny Omega and Lance Archer. why? both of them are previous holders of that belt. i didn't know this -- hell, in my dumb 'i fell off of watching wrestling for years before aew started' mind i didn't even realize archer wrestled a bunch in japan -- but it was just a match that made sense to book and leveraged a bunch of history from other promotions to both make the match feel more important & give more grounding to wrestlers your average TNT US viewer might not be aware of

plus the match kicked rear end and that's always good

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Impact is under new management is the gist of it. Dixie Carter, Vince Russo, Jeff Jarrett, none of them are involved now. Really though the thing is, it's exciting to see guys from one company turn up in another. It gets people talking and that's good for all sides involved in the deal.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Great reply. Thank you.

I’ve noticed that on commentary and in promos they reference past feuds and bookings (Matt Hardy and Adam Page for example). Shy of JR’s commentary botch, do they reference WWE? Not necessarily by name, but saying wrestlers x and y have history etc?

britishbornandbread fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Feb 21, 2021

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

It kind of doesn't, but it gets them access to Gallows and Anderson, and Callis; and gives them a place to give their talent more reps.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Oh god, as much as I hate WWE for neutering their talent so often, getting Justin Roberts to drop the obnoxious “jjjjjjjJJJJJOOOOOHHHNNNN” thing was a godsend. This Moxley announcement just woke up the cat!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Great reply. Thank you.

I’ve noticed that on commentary and in promos they reference past feuds and bookings (Matt Hardy and Adam Page for example). Shy of JR’s commentary botch, do they reference WWE? Not necessarily by name, but saying wrestlers x and y have history etc?

i don't remember it happening a lot before, but honestly it might be more of a combination of "not having a lot of interesting WWE history to touch upon" and "people who do have notable WWE history having different characters and weight behind them" over specifically avoiding the topic

i think when erick rowan redbeard briefly showed up on the brodie lee tribute show they talked about why he was there and how important it was for him to show up in honor of the man he wrestled alongside for so long

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Also Pac cut a very good promo once that amounted to "I wasted years of my life in WWE and if anyone thinks they can make me go back to that I'll kill you first"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
another way I'd put it is that if dynamite announced that there'll be a Cody vs Moxley match people would assume that it'd be a knock out drag out fight going 10-15+ minutes and probably with a bunch of blood given their history in aew. it might not be the best match on the card but it'd be something you'd look forward to

if you wanted to talk about their history together in the wwe, well,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPYeNfep40s
they were even considered pretty over at the time.

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 21, 2021

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Great reply. Thank you.

When Jericho had his short lived spat with Mike Tyson, he referenced an incident between them "on a Monday night ten years ago" to avoid specifically saying that it was on Raw.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

flatluigi posted:

another way I'd put it is that if dynamite announced that there'll be a Cody vs Moxley match people would assume that it'd be a knock out drag out fight going 10-15+ minutes and probably with a bunch of blood given their history in aew. it might not be the best match on the card but it'd be something you'd look forward to

if you wanted to talk about their history together in the wwe, well,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPYeNfep40s
they were even considered pretty over at the time.
Stardust vs Goldust is no joke one of the worst matches I’ve ever seen, and Cody vs Dustin is one of the best

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

I’ve decided to try and get into AEW.

AEW is good and fun, and I watch casually, yet I never feel lost, and I can't say I've ever been disappointed with/angry at the show, unlike WWE.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Red posted:

AEW is good and fun, and I watch casually, yet I never feel lost, and I can't say I've ever been disappointed with/angry at the show, unlike WWE.

Yeah I am enjoying what I am watching for the most part. The matches are good and the storylines are simple. I don't like the Cody Shaq thing - it strikes me as small time trying to act like WWE and, thus, big time. But that is a minor complaint.

I just watched episode 70 with that six man tag match main event, with Kenta coming in, and the match itself was solid and enjoyable. I don't watch WWE anymore but when I did, I don't recall a match that reliable being given away for free so casually.

I am starting to get a bit sick of the small set, but of course they are limited by covid. hopefully when real life comes back, a live crowd can make it more interesting and enjoyable.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Yeah I am enjoying what I am watching for the most part. The matches are good and the storylines are simple. I don't like the Cody Shaq thing - it strikes me as small time trying to act like WWE and, thus, big time. But that is a minor complaint.

I just watched episode 70 with that six man tag match main event, with Kenta coming in, and the match itself was solid and enjoyable. I don't watch WWE anymore but when I did, I don't recall a match that reliable being given away for free so casually.

I am starting to get a bit sick of the small set, but of course they are limited by covid. hopefully when real life comes back, a live crowd can make it more interesting and enjoyable.

Yeah, if you get a chance look back at some of their shows from this time last year with full crowds. The Revolution PPV is the obvious choice, but there's a show from February 19 2020 which is absolutely absurd in terms of match quality and crowd reaction. It's the one that ends with the Cody / Wardlow cage match and somehow that's only the third best match on the card.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

It's a free country, baby

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the Cody-Shaq thing makes more sense when you think about it like this: Shaq has wanted to be in a wrestling match for ages, and now that TNT finally has its wrestling show again, they've figured out a way to do that and promote NBA on TNT at the same time.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Lamuella posted:

Yeah, if you get a chance look back at some of their shows from this time last year with full crowds. The Revolution PPV is the obvious choice, but there's a show from February 19 2020 which is absolutely absurd in terms of match quality and crowd reaction. It's the one that ends with the Cody / Wardlow cage match and somehow that's only the third best match on the card.

I was at that 2/19 show and it was loving amazing. Wholeheartedly say you should start there if you want to check out Dynamite. Look at this card:

- Tag team battle royal
One of those "let's get everyone on the show" things but with some fun moments and a boffo superkick spot near the end

- Shanna vs. Kris Stadtlander
AEW's women's division is still ehhhhhh and this match isn't a classic but it's still goofy fun

- Jeff Cobb vs. Jon Moxley
Cobb looked like a monster, probably Mox's biggest match at that point in AEW

- Lucha Bros. vs. Hangman/Omega
No description needed

- Cody vs. Wardlow, steel cage match
Great heeling by MJF at cage-side, Wardlow looked unbeatable, Cody ends it with an insane spot that I'll just let you watch yourself

They didn't quite pack State Farm Arena in Atlanta, but the crowd is full of super die-hards into everything.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

I Before E posted:

When Jericho had his short lived spat with Mike Tyson, he referenced an incident between them "on a Monday night ten years ago" to avoid specifically saying that it was on Raw.
WCW did this quite a bit back in its heyday, most glaringly when Hogan would talk about slamming Andre in front of 3,000,000 fans at the Silverdome without specifically saying "WrestleMania III"

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Some Discord chat brought up the incident where Koji Kitao threw a tantrum and tried to shoot on Earthquake (which ended with a DQ after Kitao shoved a ref iirc and no actual shoot happened) and got me wondering, has there been a recorded event where a wrestler went to shoot on their opponent and got their rear end handed to them? Because I am p. sure that is what would have happened had Earthquake been less of a professional

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bushmeister posted:

Some Discord chat brought up the incident where Koji Kitao threw a tantrum and tried to shoot on Earthquake (which ended with a DQ after Kitao shoved a ref iirc and no actual shoot happened) and got me wondering, has there been a recorded event where a wrestler went to shoot on their opponent and got their rear end handed to them? Because I am p. sure that is what would have happened had Earthquake been less of a professional

There are cases of guys deciding to not sell for their opponents and getting their rear end handed to them.

The Great Antonio deciding to not sell for Antonio Inoki is probably the most famous.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

They do mention occasionally that "these two have met in the ring many times before". Also JR keeps mentioning when someone is a "Hall of Famer" (specifically WWE ones), which is both weird and kind of a nothing designation for AEW.

Jericho also pulled some great improv when Jake Hager debuted and fans chanted "We the People". He said the catchphrase was a result of terrible booking and now it's dead and buried, and then nobody ever chanted it again.

Unrelated, but if you're catching up, it's worth it to at least skim through episodes of AEW Dark on Youtube. There's a surprisingly well-booked long term feud between the two 'worst' jobbers in the company.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 21, 2021

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Davros1 posted:

There are cases of guys deciding to not sell for their opponents and getting their rear end handed to them.

The Great Antonio deciding to not sell for Antonio Inoki is probably the most famous.

Dan Spivey was well on his way to beating the absolute hell out of a job guy at a TV taping for his lack of selling when they stopped film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thCQFZdpCok

(It's likely the job guy didn't know what he was doing and wasn't being malicious, but it was a bad look on his part.)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Bushmeister posted:

There was Kurt Angle trying to shoot on Daniel Puder, getting put in a legit armbar and having to be bailed out by the ref

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Rick Steiner tried to shoot on Vordell Walker and didn't know that Walker could handle himself

quote:

In 2005, Walker was involved in an altercation with veteran wrestler Rick Steiner. Steiner, known to be somewhat of a bully in the ring, attempted to take liberties on the much younger Walker, but Walker, well-trained in mixed martial arts, would have none of it and brutally roughed up Steiner in what quickly became a shoot fight.[3]

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Dan Spivey was well on his way to beating the absolute hell out of a job guy at a TV taping for his lack of selling when they stopped film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thCQFZdpCok

(It's likely the job guy didn't know what he was doing and wasn't being malicious, but it was a bad look on his part.)
The story I've heard is that the job guy's family and friends were in attendance and he didn't want to look weak

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

davidbix posted:

As much as there are a lot of bad faith criticisms of Riho out there, it's absolutely true that it's too common for her offense—especially striking—to look like it doesn't have any weight behind it. She's shown an ability to adapt, but it's still something she needs to work on.

I dont get this. She winds up big then looks like she throws her whole body behind her clubbing forearms. Same with her knee strikes. Her diving foot stomp looks painful. Drop kick isn't great but its not bad. 619 aint great but even with that she normally looks like she is landing with her knees.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!
Riho's tiger feint kick looks like she's slowing way down because she's afraid of braining someone, it's one of her slowest moves. I think her forearm shots look great as she's winding up big but also doing them fast, a lot of wrestler's strikes don't have any snap to them, while Riho's look like she's slamming the flattest part of her ulna into her opponent's neck with as much force as she can muster as fast as she can.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

smikey posted:

Riho's tiger feint kick looks like she's slowing way down because she's afraid of braining someone, it's one of her slowest moves. I think her forearm shots look great as she's winding up big but also doing them fast, a lot of wrestler's strikes don't have any snap to them, while Riho's look like she's slamming the flattest part of her ulna into her opponent's neck with as much force as she can muster as fast as she can.

yeah. her forearms are just great. even from awkward positions like fighting on the turnbuckle she makes them look good

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1179894197765246977

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Part of the trick here is that WWE shifted "big TV main event" until it was functionally identical to "big PPV match." The way AEW seems to do it, speaking as another relative newcomer, is arguably the way everybody should: do tag and multi-man tag matches and pull in multiple storylines. That way a) your big one-on-one match is teased but stays fresh (unlike, i.e., John Cena vs. Randy Orton, which kept happening years after it first became stale), b) your midcarders and upper midcarders get a main event rub, and c) you can actually do a real finish because you have options that aren't "the one main eventer pins the other main eventer and now why bother paying to watch them on PPV?"

The unfortunate thing is that WWE used to know this. One of those Big RAW Moments people used to talk about was the ten-man tag with DX and the Radicalz against Cactus, Rock, Rikishi and Too Cool. When Too Cool's music hit, the place exploded. Nobody was thinking "well, Rikishi and especially Too Cool are too low on the card, they don't really belong in this spot," they were thinking "oh, poo poo, this is going to rule!"

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Riho does her best with her strikes but there's no getting around that her arms are roughly the size of popsickle sticks. Kinda like a 5'9 dude trying to play defense in the NBA.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

Riho does her best with her strikes but there's no getting around that her arms are roughly the size of popsickle sticks. Kinda like a 5'9 dude trying to play defense in the NBA.

Yet it never seems to be a problem drawing crowds into her matches.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!
She clearly needs to start busting people open hardway with her sharpened elbows, like an MMA fighter

edit: only once or twice over six months, not every match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

smikey posted:

She clearly needs to start busting people open hardway with her sharpened elbows, like an MMA fighter

edit: only once or twice over six months, not every match

they gotta recreate the brock/orton angle but with riho and uhhhh yuka?