Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Understanding the Dexter Loomis character more & more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, if Vince was told by his dad to take care of somebody apparently he does almost religiously.

If I remember correctly, Lou Albano was one of those people but he was such a pain in the rear end that Vince cut him off anyway.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Dunn saved some tapes from a fire for Vince Sr and is one of the guys Vince Jr was asked to take care of i believe

I think the story is that his dad saved a bunch of tapes from a burning car's trunk at the risk of his own life; losing the tapes would have cost the WWF a ton of time and money.

Link: https://www.cagesideseats.com/2011/4/28/2139834/wwe-executive-kevin-dunn-profiling-the-maligned-but-fairly-paid-vp

quote:

As legend has it, Vince McMahon promised his father that he'd take care of of a variety of specific people who had ties to the the company for their entire lives, and Kevin Dunn is one of them. Dunn's father, Dennis Dunn, was Executive Producer of Intermedia Productions, which produced and syndicated (W)WWF television from 1972 through some point in the early '80s. The elder Dunn had endeared himself to the McMahons by risking his life for the company. One night, after a TV taping in Hamburg, Pennsylvania, he was driving home with the tapes of the show in his trunk when the car caught fire. Dennis made sure to retrieve the tapes from the trunk, as losing weeks of TV shows could have seriously disrupted everything in the promotion.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TL posted:

If I remember correctly, Lou Albano was one of those people but he was such a pain in the rear end that Vince cut him off anyway.

He slapped the poo poo out of Shane, that probably had something to do with it

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Wonder if it ever occurred to Shane that getting really jacked would win him more affection than jumping off of tall things

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Vince never respected Albano after he jobbed out to Mr. Ernst.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Vince was just mad that Lou wouldn't share those mushrooms that make you taller.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Red posted:

I think the story is that his dad saved a bunch of tapes from a burning car's trunk at the risk of his own life; losing the tapes would have cost the WWF a ton of time and money.

Link: https://www.cagesideseats.com/2011/4/28/2139834/wwe-executive-kevin-dunn-profiling-the-maligned-but-fairly-paid-vp
Of course Kevin Dunn was hired because of nepotism

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
I should probably try to write a better version of that Dunn profile somewhere since I have a decade of writing and reporting improvements to utilize.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
I dislike basically everything about Kevin Dunn creatively and personally but he’s the leader of an operation that puts out an absurd amount of video, from everywhere on the planet, live or preproduced and that content supports the streaming service, TV deals and everything else. Division probably has a hundred plus employees and a high eight-figure budget. This sounds like the ultimate counterintuitive take but it really isn’t, as a corporate/TV production executive he’s just conventionally very accomplished

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

King Bahamut posted:

I dislike basically everything about Kevin Dunn creatively and personally but he’s the leader of an operation that puts out an absurd amount of video, from everywhere on the planet, live or preproduced and that content supports the streaming service, TV deals and everything else. Division probably has a hundred plus employees and a high eight-figure budget. This sounds like the ultimate counterintuitive take but it really isn’t, as a corporate/TV production executive he’s just conventionally very accomplished

i guess being the best in the world at making poo poo is still being the best in the world at something

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is that the thing where Lou told Shane he'd slap him if he kept calling Lou fat and Shane did so Lou did?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Is that the thing where Lou told Shane he'd slap him if he kept calling Lou fat and Shane did so Lou did?

Yeah. Although given the source, might be BS.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Is there is difference between a moonsault and a moonsault press?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Power Windows posted:

Moonsault press = moonsault onto a prone opponent.

Moonsault bodyblock = moonsault onto a standing opponent.

Both can simply be called a moonsault.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Thank you, bix

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

the moonsalt press employs himalayan rock salt and is ten times more expensive

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

There are people who don't stay up all night with their eyes on swivel ready to destroy anyone who chats poo poo about Gatoh Move?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Is the Bradshaw / Duke Droese / Brian Christopher / shower story true? Has it ever been confirmed? I've just seen ex WCW referee Billy Silverman reference it while trying to defend Joey Ryan of all people.

I know Silverman had a difficult time with bullies when he arrived in WWF so Bradshaw was probably one of the people who bullied him.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

I know that Kevin Dunn is blamed a lot but I see AEW's camera work leaning in that direction with some of it seen in the AEW women's tournament (Mei's missed Super Apple Punchin the six women's tag) and I'm wondering if it's an industry taught technique/trend/belief that they need to have quick camera cuts to display action(?) to the audience. Basically, why are there so many quick camera cuts in the WWE and AEW? Were they taught to do things, this way?

This is a guess but my best guess is that at some point someone went why can't the live tv show look like our exciting and energetic highlight packages and tv promos?

All the frenetic cutting and zooms works in a highlights package because it's set to music, you've got hindsight to select the best footage, and it's short so the editing style doesn't overstay it's welcome.

It kind of works live and it's got an energy to it but now you have to preplan all the spots to the tee, rather than finding the action, because otherwise you miss too much poo poo from switching around and your product is basically vertigo inducing when viewed for any length of time.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Royal Updog posted:

There are people who don't stay up all night with their eyes on swivel ready to destroy anyone who chats poo poo about Gatoh Move?

I'd never turn against a fellow Cameron Fanatic.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Power Windows posted:

To relay a question my wife asks every week, why is it called a moonsault? I've been saying it's because it harnesses the power of the moon but she doesn't find that a satisfying answer

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I always assumed it was because you're floating around like you're on the moon without gravity

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Chris Charlton from NJPW's got the scoops:
https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/1021541135632617472

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, I always assumed it was because the three-quarter rotation makes a crescent shape.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

It's because a wrestler's skull is hollow, like the moon.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

I've never thought about it before, but isn't the shape kind of a crescent, like the moon in one of its phases?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Mob posted:

It's because a wrestler's skull is hollow, like the moon.

It’s because wrestling is infested with nazis, like the moon

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
M-O-O-N, that spells Fourth Reich

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

collocation posted:

I've never thought about it before, but isn't the shape kind of a crescent, like the moon in one of its phases?

i just flashbacked and remembered that for years the wikipedia article on the Shooting Star Press used to describe the effectiveness of the flips to damage as "akin to a circular saw" in its opening. I checked if the article still exists but looks like SSP got merged into Professional wrestling aerial techniques.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

It's because of Max Moon :colbert:

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
It's the opposite of a sunnersault, duh.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

It's because it turns the tide of the match.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Saul Goode posted:

It's the opposite of a sunnersault, duh.

The opposite of a summersault?

A wintercrouch?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

They call it a moonsault because the first time it was attempted the performers shorts flew off

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
It's called a moonsault because it means 'the end'

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I assume it's because the rotation of a moonsault is the opposite direction of a somersault. 'Somer' is antiquated Middle English for summer, which implies a lot of sun. That's how it's always made sense in my head anyway.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I just thought it was a cool name to call the move and didn't give it any more thought than that and I refuse to do so now.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

I assume it's because the rotation of a moonsault is the opposite direction of a somersault. 'Somer' is antiquated Middle English for summer, which implies a lot of sun. That's how it's always made sense in my head anyway.

No I’m pretty sure it’s because of butts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

a cyborg mug posted:

It’s because wrestling is infested with nazis, like the moon

Impossible, the moon is an egg.