Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Price Check posted:

Pretty sure Jody Fleish used to do some kind of ridiculous armwringer-springboard-floating-twisting DDT spot.

Wasn't it a springboard 450 into a DDT or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Gavok posted:

Strangely, there was never a woman with the ant gimmick considering Chikara's love for intergender wrestling.

Now that Chikara's all done with and I'm incredibly bored, here's the summary of the Colony and its spinoffs and bizarre roster changes:

Starts off with Fire Ant and Soldier Ant as a tag team in 2006. Fire speaks in pumped up grunts and Soldier only yells the occasional military catch phrase. At the end of 2006, they're joined by Worker Ant, who becomes the mouthpiece. He becomes a parody of indie wrestlers in general with his fanny pack, limp handshake to the fans, Ribera Steakhouse jacket, rolling suitcase, etc. For a little while, he alters his gimmick to Stan ANTson. Due to mounting injuries, Worker Ant is written out with a career-ending injury angle in early 2009.

The Colony's new third man is Green Ant, named because of his rookie status. There's a storyline in 2009 where Pinkie Sanchez finds himself unable to find acceptance with anyone as a tag partner. Suddenly, a mysterious guy named Carpenter Ant starts showing up to aid the Colony. The Colony ends up accepting him for the most part, but he proves himself a bit too dickish in the ring for their tastes and they start to keep their distance. Carpenter Ant unmasks as Pinkie during the initial BDK reveal at the end of 2009 and then starts dressing up as Pink Ant as a way to mock the Colony.

The Fire/Soldier/Green roster makes it to the finals in the 2010 King of Trios, only to lose to the BDK A-Team. They instead win the 2011 tournament. Then everything gets weird.

In 2012, an invading faction shows up called Gekido that's made up of 17 (evil Quack), Shard (evil Jigsaw) and the Swarm, which is assailANT, deviANT and combatANT. The Swarm is explained to be "Jose and the two Franks," a trio of Wrestle Factory washouts who put up a website about how Chikara was bullshit for making its students pay their dues. In the middle of the year, the main Chikara guys get a decisive win against Gekido in a ten-man tag.

At the time, the company is run by Wink Vavaseur, a parody of Dixie Carter. He comes up with his own Money Ball system that involves mixing and matching stables for reasons that only make sense to him. This includes having Soldier Ant and assailANT switch teams going into KOT 2012. Both teams lose in the first round. They write out combatANT by having Quack (who is morally fed up with Gekido) snap his neck.

The two ant stables are still forced to keep their traded rosters. deviANT and Soldier Ant continue to team up, but it's not working. Instead, Wink decides to franchise the Colony concept and puts Soldier Ant in charge of three new wrestlers called the Colony XTREME Force with gimmicks based on special edition action figure novelties. There's Missile Assault Ant, Orbit Adventure Ant and Arctic Rescue Ant. The insinuation is that these guys are hired mercenaries playing along with ridiculously stupid gimmicks. Eventually, Soldier Ant quits the company out of frustration and goes AWOL. deviANT becomes the leader of the XTREME Force.

Meanwhile, Fire and Green are stuck with assailANT, who is earnestly trying to get fans to cheer him and the other ants to let him help with their team-up moves. Near the end of 2012, it seems like they're warming up to him.

Then Chikara does its big Ashes storyline through 2013-2014. deviANT, combatANT (complete with neck brace), and the XTREME Force are part of the anti-Chikara contingent called the Flood. Fire and Green are off trying to find Soldier, but with no luck. They also come across a wheelchair-bound Worker Ant who suggests Green take over his moniker (he's no longer a rookie by this point, after all). It's also apparent that Fire and Green actually don't trust assailANT whatsoever. In the end, assailANT proves himself as a good dude and is bestowed the Worker Ant persona.

As Chikara returns, they do the big Chikara vs. Flood storyline with a mind-controlled Soldier Ant on the Flood's side. He has kind of a "Winter Soldier Ant" gimmick where he barely sells anything and the Colony can't seem to get through to him. combatANT vanishes from the angle without explanation. deviANT loses a tag match and is MURDERED by Flood leader Deucalion for his failure. Orbit Adventure Ant and Arctic Rescue Ant sort of stop showing up for a while, which is fine, as Missile Assault Ant is the breakout player of the trio.

In 2015, Missile Assault Ant drops the ant gimmick when Kevin Condron confronts him and talks about how he knows that Missile Assault Ant blew up a bus full of children in Zimbabwe. He becomes Missile Assault Man and his gimmick is that he's really good at wrestling, but he also has crippling PTSD. That... that's it. During the King of Trios Tag Gauntlet, Orbit Adventure and Arctic Rescue return. Condron wants Missile Assault Man to kill Orbit Adventure, but he refuses. Condron does the deed instead.

2015 is the Challenge of the Immortals tournament and while the Flood is no more, Soldier Ant has defaulted to being part of the BDK, under the influence of Jakob Hammermeier. Notably, Fire and Worker II are part of Amasis' team the Battle Hive. At King of Trios, they enter together with Amasis being "EgyptiANT." The season ends with Fire vs. Soldier, where Jakob accidentally punches Soldier so hard that Soldier remembers who he is and reunites with the Colony.

In 2016, the big angle is the HeXed Men stable. Worker Ant II becomes friends with Arctic Rescue Ant and has him rebrand as Bullet Ant. Worker Ant II puts together a team called Just a Lot of Ants (JLA) made up of current and former ants (including Pink Ant, EgyptiANT, Missile Assault Ant) to stop the HeXed Men, but it doesn't work out. Also, over the course of the end of 2016 and early 2017, Frightmare delivers various career-ending injuries to Soldier Ant, Silver Ant, Worker Ant II and Bullet Ant. All that's left of the Colony is a really pissed off Fire Ant.

Fire Ant and Ophidian try to put together an anti-invader group called the Furies to protect Chikara. It absolutely fails. At King of Trios 2017, a frustrated Fire Ant gets his team disqualified because he won't stop beating the utter poo poo out of Frightmare, which puts Frightmare on the shelf for the rest of the year. Soon after, Fire starts violently lashing out at others, including his own allies.

In 2018, two new rookies show up named Green Ant II and Thief Ant. They do okay enough, but Fire Ant angrily beats them down. Either he's insulted by their choice in gimmicks or he feels like he's saving them from a horrible fate. Worker Ant II makes his return to mentor the duo and tries to get Fire Ant to listen to reason. Even Soldier Ant (blind due to having both antennae torn off) appears before the rookies to advise that they keep at it and save Fire from himself. Fire is reluctantly put with Green and Thief at King of Trios. Throughout the tournament, he gradually gains respect for them and as they win, he accepts them as the Colony.

Fire Ant's last appearance in Chikara is King of Trios 2019 where they lose the semis. Thief and Green have done random matches here and there with no real story. No idea if they're going to be keeping those gimmicks on the indies going forward. Worker II did announce that Chikara's real deal downfall is a good enough time as any to announce his retirement.

Thanks for posting this

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

I always thought it was weird how neck break and murder happy Chikara was.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Wasn't it a springboard 450 into a DDT or something?

Found it! Turns out it was the 720 DDT. Not exactly what I remembered but seems to fit the OP's specifications nonetheless.

https://youtu.be/HKONFn7mbbU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

bartok posted:

Jeff Jarrett going over Monty Brown is the one that upset me at the time. I was all in on The Alpha Male being The Guy in TNA and eventually WWE. The guy could cut amazing promos and the Pounce is an amazing finisher.

I never watched any TNA, so my recollection is not just hazy, but also second-hand at best, but wasn't Brown being primed to be their THE GUY only for it to be stalled by losing to Jarrett?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Price Check posted:

Found it! Turns out it was the 720 DDT. Not exactly what I remembered but seems to fit the OP's specifications nonetheless.

https://youtu.be/HKONFn7mbbU

A phenomenal move for sure, and I suppose it fits. I guess I was kinda hoping for a marathon spot like the football field rolling suplex, or even like an N64 WWF No Mercy scene transition.

Bonus points if there is no possible way for the deliverer to have kayfabe leverage over his opponent.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Resident Idiot posted:

That may be the greatest wrestling name of all time.

It's good, but it's no Still Life With Apricots And Pears.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Marcus Cor Von.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

A phenomenal move for sure, and I suppose it fits. I guess I was kinda hoping for a marathon spot like the football field rolling suplex, or even like an N64 WWF No Mercy scene transition.

Bonus points if there is no possible way for the deliverer to have kayfabe leverage over his opponent.

i used to have the wcw nitro wrestling ring, because the wwf ones were way too huge and stupid and looked fake as well. and all of my action figures wrestled in it, so long as they were roughly the height of x-men ones. my old wolverine had really loose joints by this time and was a little on the small side so he was my top luchador. i would make him floatover an opponent's body for what must have been 30 revolutions before hitting a bad rear end DDT. i hope this has helped you the way it helped me back then.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Thank you for posting this, as well as all your other Chikara-related stuff over the years. It’s a real shame some of the Chikara guys are going to have to reinvent since their gimmicks won’t translate or may be owned by Quack, but maybe it’s for the best.

But yeah, absolutely SHOCKING they never did a Queen Ant run with Kimber Lee or whomever.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ANTS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyGwMqMCta4

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

In much the same way Lowtax has been shamed into selling to Jeffrey, I say Quack sells to Gavok

ANTS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BEwWIfy0Jg

(This will never not make me smile)

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 7, 2020

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'm in enough debt as is, thank you very much.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

I'm in enough debt as is, thank you very much.

Pay him in ANTS!

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
is there a reason why Enzo's three matches he's worked since he got released are all against Brian Pillman Jr?

And they're not like in a tour, the matches are months apart. Including one in Qatar which I'm apparently just now hearing about

is he just a pillman mark? or he thinks brian is the next big thing or something? it's odd

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Probably the reverse, Pillman's the only one dumb enough to think wrestling Enzo is a good idea.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

A few times recently there was a problem caused by bing and google translate being poo poo that made "i'm not done yet" articles come across as "I'm retiring" articles. Does anyone else remember this? If so does anyone have a link to one of the articles whose mistranslation caused some issues?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Mayu Iwatani recently had something like that come up where she was saying something to the effect of "Even though Arisa had to retire, I know STARS (her faction) will be in good hands for a long time" and it got translated as if she was nearing the end of her career when really she's just a clumsy dork who was trying to put over the young talent in STARDOM.

bartok
May 10, 2006

How are Japanese talent generally treated and booked in Mexico? More specifically Young Lions when they are on excursion to Mexico.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

TTBF posted:

A few times recently there was a problem caused by bing and google translate being poo poo that made "i'm not done yet" articles come across as "I'm retiring" articles. Does anyone else remember this? If so does anyone have a link to one of the articles whose mistranslation caused some issues?

https://twitter.com/epitasis/status/1247207993818611712

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bartok posted:

How are Japanese talent generally treated and booked in Mexico? More specifically Young Lions when they are on excursion to Mexico.

It depends on the talent. CMLL won't book them badly, but Hiromu was definitely booked stronger than Master Wato. But even though Kawato was mostly bad during his excursion they still tried to give him a title and the usual hair/mask match at the end of his excursion.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

In much the same way Lowtax has been shamed into selling to Jeffrey, I say Quack sells to Gavok

ANTS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BEwWIfy0Jg

(This will never not make me smile)

Not really relevant to the convewrsation but in the side links to that is Chuck Taylor reading out wrestler names he came up with and it's so absolutely amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifolC4Nt140

"All Sack" Drew Gulak is the best.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 7, 2020

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
hey dudes, i'm trying to remember what grade i started watching wrestling. i know i stopped in 2001. was a total mark for the attitude era

my earliest memory is that Stone Cold was popular and just kept heating up(the Vince vs. Stone Cold stuff hasn't happened yet, Rock was still in Nation of Domination)people were chanting Rocky sucks) and DX was talking poo poo in the ring. It was weird because it was all of DX but there was cut shots of planes and a tank? That might have just been their titan tron video but if not, anyone know what i'm talking about? they were getting a huge pop. They were talking poo poo and saying Suck It, but I don't know to who. I'm positive it was later than 1995 is all i can say. Thanks

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

kolby posted:

hey dudes, i'm trying to remember what grade i started watching wrestling. i know i stopped in 2001. was a total mark for the attitude era

my earliest memory is that Stone Cold was popular and just kept heating up(the Vince vs. Stone Cold stuff hasn't happened yet, Rock was still in Nation of Domination)people were chanting Rocky sucks) and DX was talking poo poo in the ring. It was weird because it was all of DX but there was cut shots of planes and a tank? That might have just been their titan tron video but if not, anyone know what i'm talking about? they were getting a huge pop. They were talking poo poo and saying Suck It, but I don't know to who. I'm positive it was later than 1995 is all i can say. Thanks

That sounds like late 97 or possibly early 98. Was Shawn Michaels still part of DX at this point?

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Lamuella posted:

That sounds like late 97 or possibly early 98. Was Shawn Michaels still part of DX at this point?

I feel like Triple H was running the crew but I could be wrong. I think your timeline sounds about right though

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
When was the segment where Hunter was in a fighter jet and made a bunch of really cringey dick jokes?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It was mid-1998 probably

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

When was the segment where Hunter was in a fighter jet and made a bunch of really cringey dick jokes?

So that wasn't on the titan tron? because i remember a jet

and yes there were dick jokes

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

jesus WEP posted:

It was mid-1998 probably

It all sounds post-Wrestlemania 1998. Rock was still in NoD (leading it), Austin/Vince was JUST starting to be a thing, HHH took over DX.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kolby posted:

Well Stone Cold Vince really started in '98, & The Rock joined the Nation on August 11, 1997. And to go more granular even than that, DX were not actually named until 13th October 1997, also the first time they said suck it. So I'd guess your earliest memory is of a show between 13/10/97 & 12/1/98.

But that's me just guessing, more broadly I'd say between October '97 & summer of '98

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Well Stone Cold Vince really started in '98, & The Rock joined the Nation on August 11, 1997. And to go more granular even than that, DX were not actually named until 13th October 1997, also the first time they said suck it. So I'd guess your earliest memory is of a show between 13/10/97 & 12/1/98.

But that's me just guessing, more broadly I'd say between October '97 & summer of '98

you guys loving rule, thank you very much

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
This is Triple H speaking. I'm in the cockpit, with my hands on my joystick. :smuggo:

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Gavok posted:

Strangely, there was never a woman with the ant gimmick considering Chikara's love for intergender wrestling.

Now that Chikara's all done with and I'm incredibly bored, here's the summary of the Colony and its spinoffs and bizarre roster changes:

Starts off with Fire Ant and Soldier Ant as a tag team in 2006. Fire speaks in pumped up grunts and Soldier only yells the occasional military catch phrase. At the end of 2006, they're joined by Worker Ant, who becomes the mouthpiece. He becomes a parody of indie wrestlers in general with his fanny pack, limp handshake to the fans, Ribera Steakhouse jacket, rolling suitcase, etc. For a little while, he alters his gimmick to Stan ANTson. Due to mounting injuries, Worker Ant is written out with a career-ending injury angle in early 2009.

The Colony's new third man is Green Ant, named because of his rookie status. There's a storyline in 2009 where Pinkie Sanchez finds himself unable to find acceptance with anyone as a tag partner. Suddenly, a mysterious guy named Carpenter Ant starts showing up to aid the Colony. The Colony ends up accepting him for the most part, but he proves himself a bit too dickish in the ring for their tastes and they start to keep their distance. Carpenter Ant unmasks as Pinkie during the initial BDK reveal at the end of 2009 and then starts dressing up as Pink Ant as a way to mock the Colony.

The Fire/Soldier/Green roster makes it to the finals in the 2010 King of Trios, only to lose to the BDK A-Team. They instead win the 2011 tournament. Then everything gets weird.

In 2012, an invading faction shows up called Gekido that's made up of 17 (evil Quack), Shard (evil Jigsaw) and the Swarm, which is assailANT, deviANT and combatANT. The Swarm is explained to be "Jose and the two Franks," a trio of Wrestle Factory washouts who put up a website about how Chikara was bullshit for making its students pay their dues. In the middle of the year, the main Chikara guys get a decisive win against Gekido in a ten-man tag.

At the time, the company is run by Wink Vavaseur, a parody of Dixie Carter. He comes up with his own Money Ball system that involves mixing and matching stables for reasons that only make sense to him. This includes having Soldier Ant and assailANT switch teams going into KOT 2012. Both teams lose in the first round. They write out combatANT by having Quack (who is morally fed up with Gekido) snap his neck.

The two ant stables are still forced to keep their traded rosters. deviANT and Soldier Ant continue to team up, but it's not working. Instead, Wink decides to franchise the Colony concept and puts Soldier Ant in charge of three new wrestlers called the Colony XTREME Force with gimmicks based on special edition action figure novelties. There's Missile Assault Ant, Orbit Adventure Ant and Arctic Rescue Ant. The insinuation is that these guys are hired mercenaries playing along with ridiculously stupid gimmicks. Eventually, Soldier Ant quits the company out of frustration and goes AWOL. deviANT becomes the leader of the XTREME Force.

Meanwhile, Fire and Green are stuck with assailANT, who is earnestly trying to get fans to cheer him and the other ants to let him help with their team-up moves. Near the end of 2012, it seems like they're warming up to him.

Then Chikara does its big Ashes storyline through 2013-2014. deviANT, combatANT (complete with neck brace), and the XTREME Force are part of the anti-Chikara contingent called the Flood. Fire and Green are off trying to find Soldier, but with no luck. They also come across a wheelchair-bound Worker Ant who suggests Green take over his moniker (he's no longer a rookie by this point, after all). It's also apparent that Fire and Green actually don't trust assailANT whatsoever. In the end, assailANT proves himself as a good dude and is bestowed the Worker Ant persona.

As Chikara returns, they do the big Chikara vs. Flood storyline with a mind-controlled Soldier Ant on the Flood's side. He has kind of a "Winter Soldier Ant" gimmick where he barely sells anything and the Colony can't seem to get through to him. combatANT vanishes from the angle without explanation. deviANT loses a tag match and is MURDERED by Flood leader Deucalion for his failure. Orbit Adventure Ant and Arctic Rescue Ant sort of stop showing up for a while, which is fine, as Missile Assault Ant is the breakout player of the trio.

In 2015, Missile Assault Ant drops the ant gimmick when Kevin Condron confronts him and talks about how he knows that Missile Assault Ant blew up a bus full of children in Zimbabwe. He becomes Missile Assault Man and his gimmick is that he's really good at wrestling, but he also has crippling PTSD. That... that's it. During the King of Trios Tag Gauntlet, Orbit Adventure and Arctic Rescue return. Condron wants Missile Assault Man to kill Orbit Adventure, but he refuses. Condron does the deed instead.

2015 is the Challenge of the Immortals tournament and while the Flood is no more, Soldier Ant has defaulted to being part of the BDK, under the influence of Jakob Hammermeier. Notably, Fire and Worker II are part of Amasis' team the Battle Hive. At King of Trios, they enter together with Amasis being "EgyptiANT." The season ends with Fire vs. Soldier, where Jakob accidentally punches Soldier so hard that Soldier remembers who he is and reunites with the Colony.

In 2016, the big angle is the HeXed Men stable. Worker Ant II becomes friends with Arctic Rescue Ant and has him rebrand as Bullet Ant. Worker Ant II puts together a team called Just a Lot of Ants (JLA) made up of current and former ants (including Pink Ant, EgyptiANT, Missile Assault Ant) to stop the HeXed Men, but it doesn't work out. Also, over the course of the end of 2016 and early 2017, Frightmare delivers various career-ending injuries to Soldier Ant, Silver Ant, Worker Ant II and Bullet Ant. All that's left of the Colony is a really pissed off Fire Ant.

Fire Ant and Ophidian try to put together an anti-invader group called the Furies to protect Chikara. It absolutely fails. At King of Trios 2017, a frustrated Fire Ant gets his team disqualified because he won't stop beating the utter poo poo out of Frightmare, which puts Frightmare on the shelf for the rest of the year. Soon after, Fire starts violently lashing out at others, including his own allies.

In 2018, two new rookies show up named Green Ant II and Thief Ant. They do okay enough, but Fire Ant angrily beats them down. Either he's insulted by their choice in gimmicks or he feels like he's saving them from a horrible fate. Worker Ant II makes his return to mentor the duo and tries to get Fire Ant to listen to reason. Even Soldier Ant (blind due to having both antennae torn off) appears before the rookies to advise that they keep at it and save Fire from himself. Fire is reluctantly put with Green and Thief at King of Trios. Throughout the tournament, he gradually gains respect for them and as they win, he accepts them as the Colony.

Fire Ant's last appearance in Chikara is King of Trios 2019 where they lose the semis. Thief and Green have done random matches here and there with no real story. No idea if they're going to be keeping those gimmicks on the indies going forward. Worker II did announce that Chikara's real deal downfall is a good enough time as any to announce his retirement.

I like these long recaps, somebody did one for Naito back in January that was great.

Can you do BDK next?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

I like these long recaps, somebody did one for Naito back in January that was great.

Can you do BDK next?

Sure, why not. I'm going to do it in two parts, since it's pretty dense and the build-up has a lot of detail to it.

Back in Chikara's 2009 season, while it had a lot of great shows and stuff going on, there didn't seem to be any major overarching story. Early on, the biggest thing was a Colony vs. FIST feud, but once that was done with, there was nothing stealing the focus. A lot was happening, but at the same time it felt like nothing was really happening. Notable angles going on:

- Tim Donst turned heel because Jigsaw had recently returned to the company and now Donst felt he wasn't Quack's favorite anymore. Donst turned heel on his comedy jobber tag partner Hydra and eventually beat him in a Loser Leaves Chikara match.

- Sara Del Rey and Daizee Haze had a million matches against each other because the company wasn't fully embracing intergender wrestling and they were basically the only women on the roster.

- Pinkie Sanchez was having a hard time finding a good partner or team to join. Every attempt ended in failure. Eventually, a masked ant named Carpenter Ant appeared to aid the Colony and became their ally. It's just that he was more ruthless compared to the others and it made him the black sheep. That year, they did a Cibernetico match that was made up of tag teams being split onto each side. Carpenter won after defeating his teammate Soldier Ant.

- After losing his henchman Hydra due to face turn, UltraMantis Black needed a new third man for the Order of the Neo Solar Temple. He tried Pinkie Sanchez and Sami Callahan, but nothing seemed to work. Due to a complicated, albeit brief, plot involving Kaiju Big Battel's Dr. Cube, UltraMantis was able to get his hands on the Eye of Tyr, a stolen museum artifact that allowed him to do mind control. He used it to hex Delirious and turn him into his brainwashed tag partner.

Even though the new trio was successful, there was weird stuff going on in the background. A masked man named Vokoder started showing up during intermissions, creeping out UltraMantis. Also, there was a series of videos of a masked man and a very large companion demanding UltraMantis return the Eye of Tyr or else war was coming. UltraMantis ended up accepting Vokoder as an ally in helping him understand what the Eye of Tyr was capable of, even letting Vokoder hold onto it for him.

On a side note, a year earlier, there was a Chikara comic released with a story in there about a couple wrestlers traveling a few years into the future. There, they came across Carpenter Ant and Vokoder. The fact that these gimmicks were actually showing up in the company had fans thinking that the comic was canon and this was some kind of tie-in.

- Claudio Castagnoli was one of the top faces and Eddie Kingston was one of the top heels. The two crossed paths several times throughout the year with Kingston constantly talking poo poo about how Claudio shouldn't be trusted or respected. At the season finale, they had a match where the loser had to show respect to the winner. Even though Kingston lost, he still refused to show respect, talked trash about Claudio and his "partner" (suggesting Chris Hero, who had left the company at the end of 2007) and stormed off.

At the 2009 finale, the main event was a tag title match between the Colony and the Osirian Portal that really didn't have any story behind it. After the Colony retained, the two teams showed respect and the masked guys from the UltraMantis videos entered the ring. UltraMantis, followed by Quack and Claudio, came to the ring and UltraMantis demanded to know who this guy was. The mystery man revealed himself to be Ares, a wrestler who used to team up with Claudio back in the day. Quack immediately put two and two together and turned around into a pump kick from Claudio.

Suddenly, all hell broke loose. Claudio, Ares, Tursas (Ares' large companion), Carpenter Ant, Vokoder, Sara Del Rey and Daizee Haze started beating down everyone else, leaving a pile of bodies. Carpenter Ant unmasked as Pinkie Sanchez. Vokoder unmasked as Tim Donst (original plan was Sami Callahan). The season ended with all of them, die Bruderschaft des Kreuzes, doing a synchronized pose in the ring as the lights got shut off.

Also, a YouTube video showed that Leonard Chikarason was being fired as Director of Fun and was being replaced by a guy named Dieter VonSteigerwalt. Dieter was very obviously the Eric Bischoff to the BDK's nWo. Since they had the Eye of Tyr in their possession, the mind-controlled Delirious was also on their team, chained up and used as an attack dog. They also had their own personal ring announcer, Jakob Hammermeier.

So you had Claudio and Ares as the BDK leaders, Tursas as their unstoppable monster hoss, Delirious as their pet psycho and a bunch of henchmen who had issues with Chikara. As 2010 started, Lince Dorado joined the team, annoyed at getting booed by the fans.

Immediately, they dominated the company. Tim Donst beat Player Dos (Stu Grayson) for the Young Lions Cup. Claudio and Ares beat the Colony for the tag titles. Pinkie Sanchez started dressing as "Pink Ant" to mess with the Colony and made fun of fans for buying into that comic book tie-in bullshit. Sara Del Rey and Daizee Haze were assigned as spoilers to prevent any potential tag team challengers from getting enough points to get a title match.

Two BDK teams were entered into King of Trios 2010. The midcard team of Donst/Pinkie/Lince and the main-eventer team of Claudio/Ares/Tursas. This was the year where the infamous situation happened where Team Mexico no-showed thanks to Skayde loving up/asking for more money. To work around this, Dieter VonSteigerwalt did a "randomized" drawing where the replacing team was the Osirian Portal and Sara Del Rey. So not only did the Osirian Portal have to take on the top members of the BDK, but they also had Del Rey trying to throw the match at every opportunity.

In the quarterfinals, the Colony beat the BDK B-Team, handing the stable their first real loss. The finals was the Colony vs. the BDK A-Team. Though the Colony came close, they ultimately loss due to the appearance of referee Derek Sabato. Sabato, always poo poo on by the fans for being a worthless sad sack, revealed himself to be the BDK's official ref. He screwed over the Colony and the BDK stood tall.

I'll finish the rest tomorrow.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So it's 2010 and the BDK are dominating Chikara. While this is considered one of the best Chikara storylines in retrospect, it should be noted that this is the storyline that killed the site Chikarafans, as the posters on it absolutely hated the BDK angle and poo poo on it constantly. Also of note, late in the year, a trailer was released for a Chikara video game called Rudo Resurrection, which was going to be about UltraMantis Black resurrecting "dead" Chikara gimmicks as part of his plan to overthrow the BDK. It was going to be a side-scrolling beat 'em up and they didn't get around to putting it on a crowd-funding site until well after the main BDK storyline. Even then, they didn't make the goal.

At this point, BDK is made up of nine wrestlers with a ring announcer, company GM in their pocket and referee. Claudio and Ares are tag champs, Tim Donst is YLC champ and the stable is fresh off a King of Trios tournament win. So here's what the team's up to in 2010:

Claudio and Ares: Dominant as tag champs, usually winning their defenses 2-0. At one point, they get a fluke loss during a title defense against 3.0, but still win 2-1. Claudio mainly antagonizes Eddie Kingston while Ares antagonizes UltraMantis.

Tursas: Is basically Braun Strowman with a lucha viking gimmick. Goes nearly the whole year without being taken off his feet. Green as hell in the beginning, but he does end up getting pretty good towards the end of his run.

Tim Donst: Being YLC champ isn't enough for his ego, so he starts going on about being the best YLC champion ever. This means taking on former title holders, culminating in a feud against Hallowicked, which will ultimately break him down the line.

Sara Del Rey and Daizee Haze: Del Rey is a badass with something to prove while Haze is a cowardly heel. They succeed as the spoiler team, but get enough points from winning to at least consider challenging their bosses.

Pinkie Sanchez: Starts to see a guy dressed as Vokoder appearing at shows and freaks out. None of the other BDK folk ever see Vokoder and they start to question Pinkie's sanity. When it's time for a new YLC tournament, the BDK choose Lince Dorado to represent them, as they don't trust Pinkie's state of mind.

Delirious: As the mad dog of the BDK, Delirious causes longtime rivals UltraMantis and Hallowicked to team together in hopes of freeing Delirious and fixing his mind.

Lince Dorado: Has been winning matches by removing his mask behind the ref's back and making it seem like his opponent did it, thereby causing a DQ. This is to presumably lead to a mask vs. mask match with Equinox II.

The BDK's first major loss came in the YLC tournament, where Frightmare beat Lince in the finals. Shortly after, behind the scenes, Quack got really pissy with Lince because he showed up unmasked on a YouTube video with Scott Hall, thereby hurting the point of the mask vs. mask match he was planning. Lince started no-showing Chikara events and that was that for him.

As part of kayfabe, it was announced that Chikara was bought out by a mysterious company called Worldwide Media Development Corp. Wink Vavasseur was sent to audit the company, which started to keep Dieter VonSteigerwalt and Derek Sabato in line for the most part.

Towards the end of the year, they did the big Chikara vs. BDK Cibernetico match. Chikara's team featured both faces and heels (ie. Stigma and Icarus), including a surprise appearance by Vokoder. Vokoder unmasked to reveal the return of Larry Sweeney (sadly, his last appearance in Chikara). In the end, Eddie Kingston won by being the first to be able to bring down Tursas.

Kingston was also instrumental in helping the team of Quack and Jigsaw defeat Claudio and Ares for the tag belts. By this point, the BDK lost all their power. They had no titles, they ate enough major losses, Sabato was forced to be unbiased and VonSteigerwalt was fired as Director of Fun. Wink Vavasseur took over his spot.

In 2011, Vavasseur decided that it was finally time for Chikara to have its own top singles title. He put together a two-block round robin tournament to crown the first champion called the 12 Large Summit. Everyone on the roster got to vote on who would be in it, all banned from voting for themselves. It was in secret, but you could read between the lines. For instance, even though Claudio wanted the entire BDK to vote only for him while he intended to waste his vote on Del Rey, Del Rey ended up with two votes and got to be in the summit. Haze was secretly backing her up. It was all well and good because they got what they wanted. They were allowed to wrestle men more often and they were respected. Why were they still with the BDK at this point?

The BDK refused to have Claudio, Ares or Tursas enter King of Trios again for the sake of keeping them undefeated in the tournament. Instead, the BDK was represented by Tim Donst, Delirious and ring announcer-turned-wrestler Jakob Hammermeier. They also had Tursas in their corner. They lost to eventual winners the Colony and that same weekend, Pinkie Sanchez failed to win the Rey de Voladores tournament.

On paper, the 12 Large Summit would have ended with Kingston vs. Claudio since they were in opposite blocks and it would be the perfect payoff. I guess the writing was on the wall with Claudio getting signed with WWE, as he lost many of his matches, including his match against Sara Del Rey. After the match, the BDK beat down Del Rey and then brutalized Daizee Haze. This was Haze getting written off as she was suffering from an eating disorder that was getting out of control. Claudio was gone shortly after and we ended up having a tournament finals of Eddie Kingston defeating Quack.

Meanwhile, Green Ant and Tursas feuded throughout the year in an homage to Lex Luger vs. Yokozuna, complete with a bodyslam challenge, Green Ant going full patriot and there being an inspirational bus tour. At the finale, Green Ant got a decisive win over Tursas.

Also at the finale was UltraMantis and Hallowicked vs. Ares and Tim Donst. If the faces lost, they had to unmask. If Ares and Donst lost, Ares had to give up the Eye of Tyr and Donst had to shave his head. Donst ended up betraying Ares and left him to eat the pin, saving his own head of hair in the process. After the show, UltraMantis used the Eye of Tyr to free Delirious. Delirious freaked out, smashed the Eye of Tyr and ran off into the night screaming, "I REMEMBER EVERYTHING!"

On a later show, the pieces of the Eye of Tyr were found by what appeared to be Dr. Cube's henchmen.

2011 ended and the BDK was in shambles. Everyone was gone from the company or turned on the stable. The only ones left were Tim Donst and Jakob Hammermeier. Donst was an egomaniac and Jakob was his enthusiastic hanger-on. Donst continued his feud with Hallowicked, culminating in a mask vs. hair match. Despite excessive cheating, Donst lost and had his head shaved. The whole experience caused him to crack and turn into Raven Lite, all while claiming that Hallowicked was a god. Jakob -- who was starting to get over huge as a face -- still worshiped Donst, but Donst continued to treat him like poo poo and even sabotaged his matches. Everyone couldn't wait for Jakob to turn on Donst.

Donst also bullied announcer Gavin Loudspeaker and forced him into a match. During the match, Jakob finally snapped and punched out Donst before running off. Loudspeaker barely won the match. Coincidentally, this was the big CHIKARA CLOSES DOWN show and Donst's last match with the company.

He was seen during the Ashes storyline, though. In one YouTube video, Icarus visited Donst at his day job to ask for him to help bring Chikara back. Donst acted incredibly positive, but also really off. There was something disturbingly broken about him.

While Chikara was gone, there were different promotions that popped up called "Wrestling Is _____" that were one-by-one destroyed by various anti-Chikara factions from the past. This included Wrestling Is Cool, where owner Milo Schnitzler revealed that he was part of the BDK and he was closing the place down under Ares' orders. Ares appeared with a big Tursas-like monster named Nokken. The BDK was a sub-faction of the Flood, along with the returning Dr. Cube and a mind-controlled Soldier Ant. Tursas also returned, looking more badass than ever. He had a few matches before being killed off by the Estonian Thunderfrog.

At King of Trios 2014, one of the teams was BDK-Cubed, made up of Ares, Nokken and Dr. Cube. They lost in the first round and Ares wanted Nokken to destroy Dr. Cube for being the weak link. Instead, Nokken beat down Ares. Cube unmasked and revealed himself to be Jakob Hammermeier, now in control of the Eye of Tyr. That's why Donst was acting so weird in his final appearance. Also, one of Dr. Cube's masked goons turned out to be Pinkie Sanchez.

Somewhere along the line, Milo Schnitzler was kicked out of the BDK for being a terrible announcer. Whatever.

For 2015's Challenge of the Immortals, the BDK team was made up of Jakob Hammermeier, Nokken, Pinkie and Soldier Ant. During this time, Jakob started claiming he was a king and had a weekly YouTube series that was just him, on a throne, being bored and randomly discussing his teammates and how much he enjoyed Garfield. Nokken stopped appearing after that year's King of Trios. Soldier Ant was able to break free of the Eye of Tyr's mind control (thanks to Jakob accidentally punching him) and went back to being part of the Colony.

After that, it was just Jakob with Pinkie Sanchez and Jaka. They didn't do much and Jakob had the Eye of Tyr stolen from him by Hallowicked. The BDK just fizzled away in 2016 and all three final members were gone from the company soon after.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Great recap, thanks Gavok.

gently caress Quackenbush, but I'm gonna miss Chikara. Future One Night Stand show perhaps?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

On one of these threads someone said that Rey and Eddie were the creative leads on the 'I'm your Papi' storyline, is that true?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arbite posted:

On one of these threads someone said that Rey and Eddie were the creative leads on the 'I'm your Papi' storyline, is that true?

Chico said something to that effect, which I believe, since it was a very lucha storyline.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
What are some good Royal Rumbles from 2000-2015? I generally know who won but not which year so if its a good result even better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
01, 02, 05 are three pretty great Rumbles and historically significant.

I remember enjoying 08, especially for the big moment. Whichever was the 40 man Rumble (2011?) was very good as well, despite the overused finish.