Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Big Bidness posted:

I'm guessing the George The Animal Steele involvement, and the roll up finish is why Dave didn't go 5.

From what I could find he rated WarGames and two Flair/Windham matches above it that year and all I know is that I'd rather watch any of those instead of Savage vs Steamboat again.

Wargames owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I imagine to people watching NWA and Japan, Steamboat/Savage was just fine. As someone who only had WWF on TV, it was loving great. All the star stuff is incredibly subjective.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Ganso Bomb posted:

I imagine to people watching NWA and Japan, Steamboat/Savage was just fine. As someone who only had WWF on TV, it was loving great. All the star stuff is incredibly subjective.

That's part of it, too, for me. It just seems like an arbitrary rating you give out based on your gut reaction.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Randaconda posted:

Ricky was just about done at that time, his back was shot, so I don't doubt it

I don't know about, he had a great match with Flair at Spring Stampede 94

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

FakePoet posted:

I know it's not a universal truth or anything, but run time seems to be something of a bar to really getting highly rated as a match. I know Meltzer is what a lot of people go by, but what are some examples of really good matches relative to their length? Are there any 5+ star sprints?

Samoa Joe vs. Necro Butcher was just under 10 minutes

MorrisBae fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 26, 2020

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Red posted:

That's part of it, too, for me. It just seems like an arbitrary rating you give out based on your gut reaction.

thats what Dave says too

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

JOHN CENA posted:

i mean there was better wrestling happening right here in the states at the same time

Yeah, one of the Flair/Windham 5 star matches was only a couple of months before WM3 and as such would have been in recent memory, and no way was Savage/Steamboat as good as that.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Savage/Steamboat is a very good match that got inflated to legendary status because nobody was wrestling like that in 1987 WWF and it blew people's minds. I'm honestly kinda surprised they got away with it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

thought it was a great match. :)

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Steamboat/Savage is fine but I think truly great matches generally don't need qualifiers. Funk-Flair from 2 years later is one of my all time favorite matches and it doesn't require any "Well you have to consider the environment and time period,"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nut Bunnies posted:

Steamboat/Savage is fine but I think truly great matches generally don't need qualifiers. Funk-Flair from 2 years later is one of my all time favorite matches and it doesn't require any "Well you have to consider the environment and time period,"

that match loving owns

god, Flair in 89 was just the best

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Randaconda posted:

um

how dare you

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

They don't know about our ways in the WCW thread :smith:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Nut Bunnies posted:

Is it odd that I measure how great a match is against HHH/Cactus Jack from Royal Rumble 2000? That match, for me, had so many things about what made wrestling great - buying that the underdog could really pull it off, callbacks to previous matches, and honestly, what makes it for me, is that Foley and Hunter kept finding new places to go. Plus, they pulled off a carny trick with the 2x4 switcheroo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Randaconda posted:

that match loving owns

god, Flair in 89 was just the best

We're talking about the I Quit match, right? Still one of my favourite ever and probably one of the one or two matches you should use to prove that Flair's every bit as good a face as he was a heel.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

What was Inoki's finisher?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TTBF posted:

What was Inoki's finisher?

Probably a few over the years but the enzuigiri is the iconic one

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Red posted:

Is it odd that I measure how great a match is against HHH/Cactus Jack from Royal Rumble 2000? That match, for me, had so many things about what made wrestling great - buying that the underdog could really pull it off, callbacks to previous matches, and honestly, what makes it for me, is that Foley and Hunter kept finding new places to go. Plus, they pulled off a carny trick with the 2x4 switcheroo.

Wouldn't say it's odd at all. That's generally considered a great match in the history of the company.

Gaz-L posted:

We're talking about the I Quit match, right? Still one of my favourite ever and probably one of the one or two matches you should use to prove that Flair's every bit as good a face as he was a heel.

Yes, that match.

I Before E posted:

Probably a few over the years but the enzuigiri is the iconic one

That and the Octopus Hold.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

also the octopus transitioned into a ground cradle

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

oh and Clotheslining Opponent Out Of The Ring And Getting The Decision Via Count Out

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaz-L posted:

People remember Flair as this big time heel, but he always had a lot of fan support.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Randaconda posted:

People remember Flair as this big time heel, but he always had a lot of fan support.

One of my favorite periods of WCW was Flair's face run right before Hogan came in.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bartok posted:

One of my favorite periods of WCW was Flair's face run right before Hogan came in.

the Flair/Vader program was good

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

They really sold the buildup to that as "Yup, Flair's walking to his death"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Randaconda posted:

His hottest runs business wise were as a face.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

His hottest runs business wise were as a face.

How did he draw as the new heel in early 90s WWF? When they first brought him in, he had the REAL WORLD'S CHAMPION thing going, he picked fights with Piper, teased a big match with Hogan, and ended up getting involved in the Undertaker match(es). Then he transitioned over to Savage, and did that for a while, even while working house show programs with Undertaker, all before he dropped the belt to Bret. Then he moved to Perfect before leaving. It seemed like he was just doing a lot of different things instead of one sustained program, which seemed more the standard practice at the time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Red posted:

How did he draw as the new heel in early 90s WWF? When they first brought him in, he had the REAL WORLD'S CHAMPION thing going, he picked fights with Piper, teased a big match with Hogan, and ended up getting involved in the Undertaker match(es). Then he transitioned over to Savage, and did that for a while, even while working house show programs with Undertaker, all before he dropped the belt to Bret. Then he moved to Perfect before leaving. It seemed like he was just doing a lot of different things instead of one sustained program, which seemed more the standard practice at the time.

I'm guessing not great for a bunch of reasons. I love Bret Hart to an irrational degree, but I don't think putting the belt on him out of the blue happens if Naitch is doing good business. Plus they ran house shows in California with Hogan vs Flair on top and were shocked at the middle of the road business it did.

Flair in WWE definitely has its' moments. The Rumble. Multiple good matches with Savage. His loser leaves town match with Perfect. But IIRC, when Ric's deal came up, he and Vince agreed that it wasn't quite working the way they'd hoped.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 27, 2020

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

His first house show run with Hogan did really well, the second time through not so well. WrestleMania did fine for the era but 1992 was not a good year.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Didn't WCW draw more with Hogan/Flair than WWE did?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah but you are talking about PPVs months (and then years) apart vs house shows so it is kind of apples and oranges. But the first Hogan vs Flair match and the Superbrawl 99 match were giant.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I think so. WWF cooled off significantly after 1989 and the booking started to get really, really crappy after that whether it was a reaction or just Vince being Vince. Flair was presented as a kook with some pretender belt.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Nut Bunnies posted:

I think so. WWF cooled off significantly after 1989 and the booking started to get really, really crappy after that whether it was a reaction or just Vince being Vince. Flair was presented as a kook with some pretender belt.

As a kid, I found that whole thing confusing, because I didn't watch any wrestling but WWF, so I had no idea what was going on. I vaguely knew of Flair, but that was probably only because I lived in North Carolina.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It was also confusing because it seemed like he had a different belt every time he appeared. First it was the actual big gold belt which was then digitized, but that wasn't enough. Then he started carrying around a spare tag team championship belt, which was then also digitized, but again, that wasn't enough. If you were paying attention to WWF and had little to no experience with WCW, it seemed like this guy you had probably heard about as Hogan's equal parading around with a bunch of different belts, claming to be the real champion even though it seemed like a con.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Flair vs Vader from Starrcade might be my favourite Flair match. I just love Flair as a face taking on monsters. Recently watched his ECW title match with Big Show and it's so good.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Something that I started thinking about yesterday, but is there any particular reason why Scott Norton was IWGP Heavyweight Champion?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

Something that I started thinking about yesterday, but is there any particular reason why Scott Norton was IWGP Heavyweight Champion?

He worked harder in Japan and they like huge jacked guys too

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

strong style company push strong man

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It was also confusing because it seemed like he had a different belt every time he appeared. First it was the actual big gold belt which was then digitized, but that wasn't enough. Then he started carrying around a spare tag team championship belt, which was then also digitized, but again, that wasn't enough. If you were paying attention to WWF and had little to no experience with WCW, it seemed like this guy you had probably heard about as Hogan's equal parading around with a bunch of different belts, claming to be the real champion even though it seemed like a con.

It's kind of wild that they wouldn't have just paid for some custom belt to be made that looked vaguely like the big gold belt. I remember hearing that they tried making some kind of modification to it so they could still use it, but WCW still wanted to sue over it? I guess at the end of the day they didn't care enough about the live crowd because you can just digitize anything on TV, but every live crowd seeing Flair with a random tag title belt probably made for some confusion and disinterest in how he was meant to be presented.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Interestingly enough, it recently came to light that Flair wasn't carrying around a spare tag belt. The commissioned a new belt to be made, and that was based off the design of the WWF Tag Team title. But it was a new belt.

https://twitter.com/BeltFanDan/status/718458500221956100?s=20

As you can see, the words "Tag Team" are gone, replaced with three studs, and though it's hard to see, the belt doesn't have room for "Champions", only "Champion". Also the globe is black, and not blue on the tag belts.

Ganso Bomb posted:

It's kind of wild that they wouldn't have just paid for some custom belt to be made that looked vaguely like the big gold belt. I remember hearing that they tried making some kind of modification to it so they could still use it, but WCW still wanted to sue over it? I guess at the end of the day they didn't care enough about the live crowd because you can just digitize anything on TV, but every live crowd seeing Flair with a random tag title belt probably made for some confusion and disinterest in how he was meant to be presented.

They did have one made to resemble the Big Gold, but it wasn't different enough from the WCW Big Gold to avoid further law suits. In the end, they just decided to drop the whole "Real World's Champion" thing

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davros1 posted:

Interestingly enough, it recently came to light that Flair wasn't carrying around a spare tag belt. The commissioned a new belt to be made, and that was based off the design of the WWF Tag Team title. But it was a new belt.

https://twitter.com/BeltFanDan/status/718458500221956100?s=20

As you can see, the words "Tag Team" are gone, replaced with three studs, and though it's hard to see, the belt doesn't have room for "Champions", only "Champion". Also the globe is black, and not blue on the tag belts.

that's a nice looking belt