Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Ive been listening to 83 weeks podcast

There's your first mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Does any promotion in the English speaking world do King's Road style battle of wills poo poo

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

I’d rather listen to 83 weeks than something to wrestle

Something to Wrestle was at least worth it when I needed a ton of content to get myself through a work day and you'd get like one or two nuggets of truth in the poo poo. I also sensed more...not truth, but a little more authenticity when discussing Houston vs. having to defend some awful decision made in 2002 with some bullshit reason.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Does Russo still believe AEW and WWE are in cahoots?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Does any promotion in the English speaking world do King's Road style battle of wills poo poo

If you want the modern King's Road, with title matches where each man's resolve and durability is tested, you may be interested in a little promotion called NXT

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I Before E posted:

If you want the modern King's Road, with title matches where each man's resolve and durability is tested, you may be interested in a little promotion called NXT
NXT isn't only watched by men, you know

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Doc M posted:

NXT isn't only watched by men, you know

This is technically true

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

How many 4*+ matches has Chris Jericho had in his career? A few friends and I are comparing Jericho to Bret so their respective bodies of work have come up.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

ChrisBTY posted:

How many 4*+ matches has Chris Jericho had in his career? A few friends and I are comparing Jericho to Bret so their respective bodies of work have come up.

Approx. 60

Honestly I'd say a better comparison is that Bret was on top for a period of at most 1992-1997 whereas Jericho has been off and on top for twenty years and his point of question is if he's surpassed Flair, Bret's no longer even in the conversation.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

I Before E posted:

This is true insofar that you have to be real enduring to get through all the stupid poo poo that WWE puts you through.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

ChrisBTY posted:

How interesting!

To be fair, a lot of Bret's career existed before monthly PPVs, and he was only motivated until 1998.

And, further, remember for a good chunk that he was a great worker in a bizarre vacuum where spectacle and story came before wrestling.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Jericho has (according to Big Dave):

2 ****+ matches in WCW
43 ****+ matches in WWE (including Elimination Chambers/multiman clusters but not including Rumbles)
6 ****+ matches in NJPW
4 ****+ marches in AEW

So that's 55, unless I'm missing some other promotion, stretching from September 1996 against Benoit up to a couple of weeks against Orange Cassidy

Bret has

15 ****+ matches in WWF
2 ****+ matches in WCW

To be fair to Bret here, there were fewer PPVs during his prime than Jericho's, also Jericho had stretches in WWE where he was given a lot more opportunities to have long good matches on TV than Bret did for the vast majority of his career; in 2001 alone Jericho had four *****+ TV matches, and it didn't hurt that he was in those matches with Austin, Rock, Benoit, Angle, the Hardys, Edge & Christian, HHH, etc.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Jericho also had some four star matches from Wrestle Association R (against Benoit and against Ultimo Dragon) and a four and a half star six man tag from the first Jericho cruise where he teamed with the Bucks against Kenny, Cody and Marty Scurll, which was technically a ROH match.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

bret should fight daniel bryan for the guy who should have had a lot more great matches than they did. and he probably loses that too

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

2 ****+ matches in WCW
43 ****+ matches in WWE (including Elimination Chambers/multiman clusters but not including Rumbles)
6 ****+ matches in NJPW
4 ****+ marches in AEW

So that's 55, unless I'm missing some other promotion, stretching from September 1996 against Benoit up to a couple of weeks against Orange Cassidy

Bret has

15 ****+ matches in WWF
2 ****+ matches in WCW

To be fair to Bret here, there were fewer PPVs during his prime than Jericho's, also Jericho had stretches in WWE where he was given a lot more opportunities to have long good matches on TV than Bret did for the vast majority of his career; in 2001 alone Jericho had four *****+ TV matches, and it didn't hurt that he was in those matches with Austin, Rock, Benoit, Angle, the Hardys, Edge & Christian, HHH, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_wrestling_matches_rated_5_or_more_stars_by_Dave_Meltzer

5-Star Dave matches for Jericho: 1 (Career - 1990-Present - 30+ Years and Counting)
5-Star Dave matches for Bret: 2 (Career - 1978-2000 - 22 Years)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Daniel Bryan: 0

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
i do love how the entire 2000s had a total of 7 5 star matches and three of them had Samoa Joe and three of them also had Kenta Kobashi and one of them was Samoa Joe v Kenta Kobashi

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Samoa Joe: 3

EFB

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Red posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_wrestling_matches_rated_5_or_more_stars_by_Dave_Meltzer

5-Star Dave matches for Jericho: 1 (Career - 1990-Present - 30+ Years and Counting)
5-Star Dave matches for Bret: 2 (Career - 1978-2000 - 22 Years)

So Samoa Joe > Jericho & Bret.

Checks out.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lid posted:

i do love how the entire 2000s had a total of 7 5 star matches and three of them had Samoa Joe and three of them also had Kenta Kobashi and one of them was Samoa Joe v Kenta Kobashi

I was sure I could name all of them but for some reason I either completely forgot or had never heard about the Nagata and Iizuka/Fuchi and Kawada match.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

2 ****+ matches in WCW
6 ****+ matches in NJPW
4 ****+ marches in AEW

Bret has

15 ****+ matches in WWF
2 ****+ matches in WCW

just from checking Wiki pre-WCW Jericho teamed with Lance Storm in Japan, had a run in Mexico, teamed with Storm in Smoky Mountain, had a run in Japan including being in a Super J Cup, and had a run in ECW

I'd be shocked if he didn't put on a few 4* matches somewhere in all that

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
that Iizuka was in a five star match is in itself mind blowing

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lid posted:

Daniel Bryan: 0

Johnny Ace: 1

Red
Apr 15, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

So Samoa Joe > Jericho & Bret.

Checks out.

Welllllllll, as an exercise, my point is more that having more opportunities is a thing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Johnny Ace: 1

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, poo poo, I didn't know about the Kobashi one.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Brian's career being a decade when Dave wasn't handing 5* matches out to anybody then a second decade when WWE couldn't produce a 5* match to save its life really isn't helping his GOAT case.
Ok new question: How many 5* matches has WWE had from 2010-now. Not counting nXt.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok new question: How many 5* matches has WWE had from 2010-now. Not counting nXt.

Not counting NXT, one: Punk v. Cena, MitB '11.

EDIT: Of the WWF/WWE 5* matches, this is the only non-NXT one without Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels. They each had one in 1994 (Shawn v. Razor at WM X, Bret v. Owen at Summerslam) and 1997 (Bret v. Austin at WM 13, Shawn v. 'Taker at Badd Blood), and then WWE was barren until Punk v. Cena.

Some fun stats: NXT has had seven, compared to five for the entire rest of WWF/WWE history. Meanwhile, Kazuchika Okada has had five 5* matches with Kenny Omega; Misawa had seven 5* tag-team matches against the Holy Demon Army.

disaster pastor fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 4, 2020

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

ChrisBTY posted:

Brian's career being a decade when Dave wasn't handing 5* matches out to anybody then a second decade when WWE couldn't produce a 5* match to save its life really isn't helping his GOAT case.

Each new 4 3/4 star rating he gave to a Danielson match that was like the best thing I'd ever seen in wrestling up to that point had me going through all the stages of grief.

I know he was probably burned out/tuned out in the 2000s and New Japan helped revive him, and I generally don't really think of his ratings as anything but one person's opinion. But that stupid run of the mill NXT ladder match getting five stars when Danielson couldn't get a single one at his peak is just hilarious.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

wrestling as a whole has gotten a lot better in the 2010s along with far more accessibility/awareness to wrestling on a worldwide scale. theres a large number of ROH matches from 2002-2010 that have gone unrated and more than a few that have gotten 4 3/4

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I mean that's fine for someone new to wrestling but for someone writing the paper of record for the industry doesn't have much of an excuse.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

yeah the nxt ladder match was a really weird one to give a fiver to, especially when it was the same card as ciampa/gargano which i thought was probably a 5 star match

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

JOHN CENA posted:

yeah the nxt ladder match was a really weird one to give a fiver to, especially when it was the same card as ciampa/gargano which i thought was probably a 5 star match

Haha yes! I was totally underwhelmed by that ladder match, which I thought was your standard *** WWE produced ladder match they'd put on for the last 20 years, and then you have this unbelievable story-driven emotional match as the main before they drove that poo poo into the ground. Totally backwards.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

That Bryan conversation reminded me that Dave never rated Bryan/Shingo from DGUSA, which makes me ask: what are the best matches Dave never gave a star rating to?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I Before E posted:

That Bryan conversation reminded me that Dave never rated Bryan/Shingo from DGUSA, which makes me ask: what are the best matches Dave never gave a star rating to?

danielson vs KENTA

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

disaster pastor posted:

Not counting NXT, one: Punk v. Cena, MitB '11.

EDIT: Of the WWF/WWE 5* matches, this is the only non-NXT one without Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels. They each had one in 1994 (Shawn v. Razor at WM X, Bret v. Owen at Summerslam) and 1997 (Bret v. Austin at WM 13, Shawn v. 'Taker at Badd Blood), and then WWE was barren until Punk v. Cena.

Some fun stats: NXT has had seven, compared to five for the entire rest of WWF/WWE history. Meanwhile, Kazuchika Okada has had five 5* matches with Kenny Omega; Misawa had seven 5* tag-team matches against the Holy Demon Army.

This is the sort of thing that happens when the guy who has a stranglehold on professional wrestling in the United States hates professional wrestling. God loving drat it.

Unrelated; yes Meltzer is only one person. I think we just use his ratings because they are the common currency of match ratings so we arn't constantly asking each other 'by which critic'

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't know what dave didn't rate but is it true he didn't rate danielson/morishima II?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Cavauro posted:

i don't know what dave didn't rate but is it true he didn't rate danielson/morishima II?

4 3/4, i had to deal with a few weeks of hulkamatts incredulity it didnt get full fiver

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

thank you john cena. 128-bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JOHN CENA posted:

danielson vs KENTA

He did rate it.