Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Stealth Tiger posted:

https://twitter.com/ThatsOurMongo/status/1377026998967615488

So is there some backstage story to this? The twitter thread doesn't reveal any details...

according to the observer summarizer on reddit:

quote:

There's some serious heat between Madusa and Sherri Martel in WCW. On Nitro this week, they had a match and after the match, Madusa gave Sherri a German suplex. Sherri wasn't told in advance about the suplex but Madusa reportedly got approval for it from someone backstage, but the word never got passed down to Sherri. She was legit knocked silly on the suplex. Sherri didn't even want to work the match to begin with but she's been on thin ice with the company since last year when she no-showed a Japan tour so she was afraid if she didn't agree to the match, she'd be fired. But she still insisted on winning if she was going to work it, which is why she won. (this post-match angle is brutal, especially knowing that Sherri really was basically unconscious).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Stealth Tiger posted:

https://twitter.com/ThatsOurMongo/status/1377026998967615488

So is there some backstage story to this? The twitter thread doesn't reveal any details...

That German is a) dangerous as gently caress, gently caress Madusa b) cool as gently caress, drat

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Deathlove posted:

That German is a) dangerous as gently caress, gently caress Madusa b) cool as gently caress, drat

tbh I marveled at how easily she got her over

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I feel like Madusa's German suplex looked really really good about 50% of the time. The rest of the time she would have trouble with the bridge or just completely gently caress it up like in that instance.

Re: Nitro becoming Raw, as crazy as it sounds, I want to say Smackdown was actually getting the better ratings at the time? So it wasn't necessarily like WWF were giving up their "flagship show", but it was still a horrible idea because all of the WWF-WCW interaction even prior to the Tacoma show indicated that what the fans wanted to see was WWF vs WCW, not each brand operating in their own bubbles. Even at the start of the Tacoma show people are going wild for all of the possibilities, it's just that there's a very real sense of disappointment when Shane announces that the main event will be Booker vs Buff. Of course they would cheer when WWF's two biggest heels came out to beat them up, this is the war they wanted! (though let's not pretend that Austin and Angle were way more over by default than either Booker or Buff).

Not to mention that I doubt the network would have been happy with getting a dead brand like WCW rather than what they paid for, but I don't get business.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Re: Nitro becoming Raw, as crazy as it sounds, I want to say Smackdown was actually getting the better ratings at the time?

I’m not sure if SmackDown was getting higher ratings or not, but the difference between network tv and cable was definitely more meaningful at the time, so SmackDown definitely had a much bigger potential audience than Raw. Being on prime-time network tv was a big deal, even if it was on a lower-tier network.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Minidust posted:

Was that the one with a handful of working titles that included *ahem* "Hard-On Saturday Night"?

I have no knowledge of the working titles unfortunately!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Booker T vs Buff was the "WCW" match at the Tacoma show, but do you remember who called that match?

Scott Hudson and Arn Anderson

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Booker T vs Buff was the "WCW" match at the Tacoma show, but do you remember who called that match?

Scott Hudson and Arn Anderson

I really enjoyed them as a commentary team, honestly.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

some leaked marketing material showed they were playing around with just using the nitro branding.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

JOHN CENA posted:

some leaked marketing material showed they were playing around with just using the nitro branding.

That specific WCW logo is still awful.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

JOHN CENA posted:

I'd drink a can of this.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Silly Burrito posted:

That specific WCW logo is still awful.

It’s like there was a contest to make something worse than the birdshit logo.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Lamuella posted:

I'd drink a can of this.

This World Championship Wrestling is making me THIRSTY!

Seriously for some reason just seeing a proposed ad for the crappy WWE version of WCW Nitro triggered some long buried feeling of excitement within me

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Looks like something you can only find on the bottom shelf of a 7/11

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

At one point WCW was going to get Raw and WWF would get Smackdown. The plans changed several times and included that idea and WCW being its own touring brand with a show late nights on TNN, and then finally the invading faction we got.

IIRC, the original plan for ECW was a streaming-only show run by Shane out of small arenas, which would've presumably kept the spirit of old ECW Hardcore TV. But I think streaming tech was still so janky back then that it would've been a constantly buffering RealPlayer file at the time.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

sticklefifer posted:

IIRC, the original plan for ECW was a streaming-only show run by Shane out of small arenas, which would've presumably kept the spirit of old ECW Hardcore TV. But I think streaming tech was still so janky back then that it would've been a constantly buffering RealPlayer file at the time.
That was for 2006, not 2001.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Lamuella posted:

I really enjoyed them as a commentary team, honestly.

They're better on the following Smackdown, which featured two more often-forgotten WCW vs WCW matches: Shane Helms vs Billy Kidman and Booker vs DDP. The Raw match was hurt by Hudson starting the segment with a botch (saying the match was for the WWF title rather than the WCW title) and Arn not having anything interesting to say, his "highlight" being a weird rant where he compares being the toughest guy in the WWF to being the toughest guy in prison or something.

As an aside, these matches fared much better, with Helms and Kidman actually trying and the other match featuring two legit main eventers. The post-match angle still made Booker look like a total dweeb though.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The post-match angle still made Booker look like a total dweeb though.

Booker T was extremely talented, and both WCW and WWE frequently did their damndest to make him look like a dweeb.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Hedgehog Pie posted:

They're better on the following Smackdown, which featured two more often-forgotten WCW vs WCW matches: Shane Helms vs Billy Kidman and Booker vs DDP. The Raw match was hurt by Hudson starting the segment with a botch (saying the match was for the WWF title rather than the WCW title) and Arn not having anything interesting to say, his "highlight" being a weird rant where he compares being the toughest guy in the WWF to being the toughest guy in prison or something.

As an aside, these matches fared much better, with Helms and Kidman actually trying and the other match featuring two legit main eventers. The post-match angle still made Booker look like a total dweeb though.

Very forgotten. I don't remember DDP showing up until the dumb Undertaker angle.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

1glitch0 posted:

Very forgotten. I don't remember DDP showing up until the dumb Undertaker angle.

Same here, I remember DDP being kept completely separate from the Invasion angle while doing the stalker poo poo with Taker.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

1glitch0 posted:

The Undertaker angle had actually already started! DDP was the only WCW guy to be initially introduced as a straight-up heel by revealing himself to be the stalker of Taker's wife (this did not stop people cheering him or making the diamond cutter gesture... at first, at least). By the time the Tacoma show and the following Smackdown happened, Taker had already unceremoniously battered DDP at King of the Ring, but he also interfered in the aforementioned match with Booker. As an aside, Angle also showed up to beat up Booker again, but this time Booker got the upper hand which was something at least.

After the match, DDP beat up Shane McMahon, who up to this point had been WCW's pure babyface owner. Then DDP and the rest of the WCW midcarders also beat up Booker (who tried to defend Shane) because Booker apparently wasn't even respected by his own colleagues any more. The following Raw, which took place in Atlanta, opened with Shane vs DDP in a street fight, where Undertaker interfered again and... Shane turned heel by attacking Taker, effectively turning WCW as a whole heel, including Booker. That same night, RVD and Tommy Dreamer debuted and Paul Heyman announced that ECW was throwing itself into the battle. Also that same night ECW and WCW joined forces and Stephanie was announced as the new owner of ECW. The whole thing was a mess and you can really tell that they changed their ideas multiple times, despite the fact that WWF vs WCW should have been a slam dunk.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBLiM-sewfk Here's the Booker-DDP match just to prove that I'm not crazy.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 1, 2021

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The Undertaker angle had actually already started! DDP was the only WCW guy to be initially introduced as a straight-up heel by revealing himself to be the stalker of Taker's wife (this did not stop people cheering him or making the diamond cutter gesture... at first, at least). By the time the Tacoma show and the following Smackdown happened, Taker had already unceremoniously battered DDP at King of the Ring, but he also interfered in the aforementioned match with Booker. As an aside, Angle also showed up to beat up Booker again, but this time Booker got the upper hand which was something at least.

After the match, DDP beat up Shane McMahon, who up to this point had been WCW's pure babyface owner. Then DDP and the rest of the WCW midcarders also beat up Booker (who tried to defend Shane) because Booker apparently wasn't even respected by his own colleagues any more. The following Raw, which took place in Atlanta, opened with Shane vs DDP in a street fight, where Undertaker interfered again and... Shane turned heel by attacking Taker, effectively turning WCW as a whole heel, including Booker. That same night, RVD and Tommy Dreamer debuted and Paul Heyman announced that ECW was throwing itself into the battle. Also that same night ECW and WCW joined forces and Stephanie was announced as the new owner of ECW. The whole thing was a mess and you can really tell that they changed their ideas multiple times, despite the fact that WWF vs WCW should have been a slam dunk.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBLiM-sewfk Here's the Booker-DDP match just to prove that I'm not crazy.

Holy poo poo. Nice history lesson! I remember almost none of this aside from the obvious.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I remember them burning through months of storylines during that one episode but the rest of it I had mostly forgotten, thanks.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

They also say wrestlers are an amped up version of their own personalities, so how retarded is Hacksaw Jim Duggan in real life?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

The Grey posted:

They also say wrestlers are an amped up version of their own personalities, so how retarded is Hacksaw Jim Duggan in real life?

Your phrasing is a bit off there friend.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jim Duggan is a highly educated college man

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Your phrasing is a bit off there friend.

Yeah, to be specific, slurs like the one used in The Grey's post are not good things to post.

So I will reiterate what I put in the sixer that is likely going to be eaten by the timing of this post/now. Slurs should not be cool to post in PSP in the context of just using them casually. And our language has moved enough that we can acknowledge certain slurs are in fact slurs.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Now, onto other business, wherein babyface Tony Schiavone defends Jim Duggan's intelligence and Bobby Heenan has a laughing fit, because Jim Duggan's gimmick did include him being very loving stupid.

DeathChicken posted:

Jim Duggan is a highly educated college man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afNOqwJrT8s

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

karmicknight posted:

Now, onto other business, wherein babyface Tony Schiavone defends Jim Duggan's intelligence and Bobby Heenan has a laughing fit, because Jim Duggan's gimmick did include him being very loving stupid.

I can never avoid watching that clip all the way through when it gets reposted. Classic.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

After some Discord talk about Jericho's impending retirement and how he's obviously going to go out as a babyface in the end, made me think: what big names, if any, have retired from in-ring competition as heels to the end? Career heels like Abdullah The Butcher seem, if they make it that far, to become kind of beloved figures in the end so you can't really count on that. Did anyone ever walk away from the ring for good while doing the full MJF shtick?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Insofar as any wrestler actually retires, I guess Honky Tonk Man was a heel from his turn in the 80s until forever

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Bushmeister posted:

After some Discord talk about Jericho's impending retirement and how he's obviously going to go out as a babyface in the end, made me think: what big names, if any, have retired from in-ring competition as heels to the end? Career heels like Abdullah The Butcher seem, if they make it that far, to become kind of beloved figures in the end so you can't really count on that. Did anyone ever walk away from the ring for good while doing the full MJF shtick?

No one springs to mind because I only started watching in 1988. That was probably more common before national TV and before the modern era when "legends" became more of a thing.

Come to think of it, the guy who played The Master in the Dungeon of Doom, King Curtis, may qualify. He went from being a heel wrestler, to a heel manager, to showing up in random weird DOD skits. He may have been honored as part of some legends segment, but I believe he ended his full time career as a heel, though he had been a face way earlier iirc.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

karmicknight posted:

In his art of wrestling interview with Colt Cabana he came off as someone who easily fell into designated lines / scripted responses. Something like always repeating the board the tongue and the thumb when talking about the gimmick. Clearly he was more intelligent then portrayed but not the smartest guy in the world.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Bushmeister posted:

JBL is one.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Gavok posted:

JBL is one.

Can't remember the source, but there's an interview out there with JBL where he explained that he was insistent that his retirement match against Rey Mysterio needed to only last a few seconds and end in his humiliation even as the road agents tried to talk him into a longer, more competitive match. He was adamant that JBL was a contemptible character and the only satisfying conclusion was the one we got.

There's a lot of entirely accurate bad things you can say about JBL the person, but his understanding of his character is some really interesting stuff.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

then he came out and helped humiliate the ascension

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Claytor posted:

Can't remember the source, but there's an interview out there with JBL where he explained that he was insistent that his retirement match against Rey Mysterio needed to only last a few seconds and end in his humiliation even as the road agents tried to talk him into a longer, more competitive match. He was adamant that JBL was a contemptible character and the only satisfying conclusion was the one we got.

There's a lot of entirely accurate bad things you can say about JBL the person, but his understanding of his character is some really interesting stuff.

This really is accurate for JBL as a person

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Insofar as any wrestler actually retires, I guess Honky Tonk Man was a heel from his turn in the 80s until forever

The only time I saw HTM live on a indy show he was a face. I suspect the logic was as simple as "I'm signing gimmicks later, being a face will mean more money".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I've mentioned this before, but my all time favorite call of Heenan's during a Duggan match was when Duggan got a jobber up in a delayed vertical suplex, and while holding the guy upside down, Hacksaw did his trademark "stick out the arm with a thumbs up."

Heenan called the move a "Stupid-Plex".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bushmeister posted:

Ric Flair.