Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The exact details depend on exactly when you're looking, but if anything WWE has trended towards taping fewer shows at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Also the Hardy's did mocap work for one or both of WrestleMania 2000 and No Mercy.

It was Attitude.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Scorpion Death Lock Bowl

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Am I remembering wrong, or wasn’t it not even Christian’s decision to retire? WWE just stopped booking him and started treating him as retired.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

Giving Kane the belt for one night in the middle of Austin’s hot run in 98 was loving stupid as well, although he was probably as well placed as anyone to take the belt

What was even worse with this is that he won it in a first blood match where he was clearly bleeding first, but they had to ignore it because it wasn’t supposed to happen.

Edit: I think I misremembered this. I think Austin was the one who bled early, but they ignored it because it wasn’t planned.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 3, 2020

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

If a wrestler doesn’t want their car destroyed, they should come to work in a limo halfway through their shift like a normal person.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Actually they sorta turn him at the Survivor Series PPV shortly before (all this happened in the space of a week), he just abruptly falls out with Shawn Michaels and I guess he's a hero now and he wins the belt and on the next RAW people are holding up "WWF Champion Diesel" signs though they would have no way of knowing about this unless they were following, like, Usenet

Weren’t the weekend syndicated shows still enough of a thing at this point that most people would’ve found out there?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I instantly thought of Jeff Hardy but I think he was a heel in TNA? But he's always been babyface in WWE, right?

Long time ago, and very brief, but was a heel as part of The New Brood.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Red posted:

1. Has anyone listened to this album? On purpose? How bad is it? I remember seeing it at THE WALL, and I was initially excited, because I thought it was theme music. Nope, it's wrestlers singing, for some godforsaken reason. Even as a 12 year old, I had no interest in whatever the hell this was:

It was terrible, but as an eight-year-old, I loved it. I could probably still sing along to every song. Who can forget lyrics like, “Tatanka. Buffalo.” and, “Hacksaw Jim Duggan b-b-beats people up!”?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I think my favorite thing is that the Tatanka song is titled “Tatanka Native American”.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Even WWE hasn’t completely dropped them. Most notably, Paul Heyman has been managing Brock Lesnar, and occasionally others, for the last eight years.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It always shocks me to realize how far back the Hardys actually wrestled in WWF, so I had to look it up, and Matt Hardy and Tatanka did face off during Tatanka’s original run.

https://youtu.be/iFIm58olAIU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I have trouble considering the lionsault a finishing move when he would rarely even successfully land it, let alone finish a match with it.

Here’s a question: are there any other signature moves that get blocked/countered as often as the lionsault?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Bad Wolf posted:

Heenan disliked him, that's for sure. He mentioned it in his "Wrestling's bad boy tells all" book. I beiieve it was because of backstage politicking or other fuckery. It's been years since I've read it, the only thing I remember is that Heenan said he couldn't trust him one bit.

Not sure if there were other reasons before this, but Tony supposedly argued against letting Heenan give a tribute to Gorilla Monsoon on Nitro after he died. Pretty lovely.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

davidbix posted:

On various forums, including PWO, there was a British guy named Parv (username JerryVonKramer, IIRC) who seemed to want to learn but would just kind of...assume everything that ever happened in wrestling happened in a way that directly paralleled Hulkamania-era WWF. I don't know if I can explain it especially well without driving myself insane looking up old examples, but this guy would start watching pre-Hogan MSG shows and somehow extrapolate a bunch of nonsense based on applying a business model with quarterly PPVs to a regional promotion.

Ok, I’m definitely a lot more interested in this guy than Shoemaker now.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

That was what convinced him to work with them on the dvd, but it was still several more years before he came back to actually work shows.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Lamuella posted:

A setup rather than a spot, but it's always fun watching people who have never in their lives ended up resting on the second rope just happening to end up their during the mid-stretch of a Rey Mysterio match.

I’m pretty sure I got this idea from someone here, but I have no idea who, but I justify that in my head like this: a top competitor who uses that as one of their signature moves is also going to be an expert at getting people into that position. Maybe that doesn’t work in real world logic, but for wrestling logic that’s good enough for me.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Can anyone give me an example of a "bad" top rope elbow? How do you do it wrong?

Big Show’s flying elbow would be terrible if it was done by anyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p_y7TBfMVY

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Re: Nitro becoming Raw, as crazy as it sounds, I want to say Smackdown was actually getting the better ratings at the time?

I’m not sure if SmackDown was getting higher ratings or not, but the difference between network tv and cable was definitely more meaningful at the time, so SmackDown definitely had a much bigger potential audience than Raw. Being on prime-time network tv was a big deal, even if it was on a lower-tier network.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

dracula vladdy AF posted:

I don't know a whole lot about wrestling history. Back in the 2000s there were a bunch of SmackDown branded games, before they started doing Smackdown vs Raw and eventually just having more general WWE games. Why was it SmackDown specifically that got games to begin with, instead of Raw? Was it a popularity thing, or was Raw meant for more developmental or less over talent or something like that?

It was just a name. The series started before the brand split, so SmackDown was just the name of one of their shows, and didn’t specifically denote only half the roster. And even after the brand split, the games still included both brands.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Rebel does the women’s makeup, I think?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Ehhh, it was unusual for a PPV, but their shows were pretty much all pre-taped in 1992. Spoilers weren’t really much of a concern at that point.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The one thing I’ll add about the Dark Order face turn is that before Brodie passed, they were essentially already playing the face version of the group on BTE. They had become a lovable bunch of goofballs on BTE, while remaining (somewhat) more serious heels on the main shows. After Brodie passed, they basically started playing the BTE Dark Order on the main shows.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

xK1 posted:

Raven had a brief AEW appearance as well, when they were teasing who would be the Dark Order's Exalted One there was an episode where they cut to him in the crowd and gave a shout out, but didn't really do anything else with him.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think they even acknowledged it was him. There was just a match that went into the crowd, right in front of him, and left it to the audience to be like “wtf is that Raven?”

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

Owen v. Bret at WrestleMania X depends on whether you consider it a superior match to Razor v. HBK, I guess.

I was about to post this one. It’s debatable whether it’s the better than the ladder match, but it’s still fantastic.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I personally get the impression that “Vince hates pro wrestling” is probably a misleading oversimplification. I think Vince genuinely loves wrestling, he just has a very narrow, close-minded view of what makes for good pro wrestling, while simultaneously being embarrassed by the stigma of “wrasslin”.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I don’t remember the Godwinns having the titles, but apparently they had two reigns lasting only nine total days, so it was pretty easy to miss.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It really depends on exactly how you define the parameters of the question. Do you only count the specific municipality where the show is held, or do you count the larger region?

Just as an example, East Rutherford, NJ has a population of less than 9k, but it’s part of the much larger New York metro area, and has had tons of WWE shows over the years between the old Continental Arena/Izod Center and more recently MetLife Stadium.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I thought pushing them off the stage in a dumpster was the reason for having a dumpster match at WrestleMania.

This is correct. They did a cage match the night after Mania, which was when the Outlaws officially joined DX.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I’ve seen a couple people attribute ROH’s decline to Bully Ray having too much influence. I have basically never followed the company, so what’s the deal with that? Is it a fair take? What specifically have they done or not done that’s caused this, and what, if anything, did Bully Ray have to do with it?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Lurks With Wolves posted:

If I remember correctly, TBS is also able to air Dynamite at the same time on both the east and west coast, vs TNT where it was shown on a three hour delay on the west coast. As far as I know that's a significant part of why Dynamite's ratings are kind of trash on that end of the country, so it should be a good change.

But other than that, yeah. It's a good sign for AEW's future, but it isn't that big of a deal.

It’s the other way around. Usually it airs on a three hour delay on the west coast, but was live the last few months on TNT because of hockey. Airing live sounds like it would be better, but 8PM is just a much better timeslot than 5PM.

But yeah, overall, TBS is really only better because it should mean a more stable schedule.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Has a War Games match ever ended before all the participants were in?

I don’t think that even possible by the rules, is it?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Can't speak for others at the time, but before Waltman came to the WWF, PWI and its sister publications were very high on him and made sure to tout him.

I was only 7 at the time, I knew him because of this. I wasn’t on the internet or reading the Observer, but I read all the Apter mags. Despite the fact that he was a name I knew, I still totally bought into him just being a jobber and was shocked when he got the win.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Minidust posted:

The recent Cody Rhodes and Jeff Hardy re-debuts had me thinking, who are some wrestlers who kept their exact same presentation between national promotions, right down to the theme music? The music would be the most limiting factor here, so I guess it favors guys who used classical/orchestral themes that were easier to license... so Ric Flair and Randy Savage are the examples that stick out to me (although I assume they used different recordings between WWF/WCW). Did Jerry Lawler use Also Sprach Zarathustra in Memphis? And of course, CM Punk may be the most notable modern example.

Even Flair had a knock-off theme in his original 90s WWF run.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Grey posted:

Who was the guy in WCW who banned moves from the top rope and removed the pads from ringside? I vote for him as worst booker.

Bill Watts. I’m far from an expert on the territories, but from everything I’ve heard, he would be in the running for the title of best booker based on his work in the 80s. He was definitely a bit out of touch by the time he was put in charge of WCW though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

BooDooBoo posted:

"Woo" echoed around the building

To be fair, I could say this about every WWE or AEW show I’ve ever been to.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Answers Me posted:

When a match has a guest referee - especially a non-wrestler - do they also take on all the duties an actual ref has to keep a match on track, or do the wrestlers have to muddle through without that stuff?

I figure there must be some anecdotes from wrestlers’ biographies about what a nightmare it is working with a celebrity/guest referee.

I think this is why a lot of non-wrestling celebrity guests will be special “enforcers” outside the ring, rather than just being straight up guest referees.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

When Angle announced that he was going to have his retirement match at WrestleMania, I joked to someone that it would be against Corbin, because it made no sense and the company seemed to involve him in every major program. Then they went and actually did it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It might be hard to understand if you weren’t watching and/or weren’t a kid in the 80s and early 90s but he was just an incredibly charismatic. Dude was larger than life both physically and in personality. He was the right guy in the right place at the right time.

His ring work wasn’t great, but it didn’t need to be in 80s WWF with the way the crowd bought into him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'd guess the 90s once Vince killed kayfabe and you could openly advertise a wrestling school, but I'd be curious if it happened earlier.

I don’t think there’s anything inherently kayfabe-breaking about advertising that you run a wrestling school. Even legit athletes need to be trained.