Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

No-one has been abe to find the match because, to avoid confusion he was billed as Barbo Brazil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ChrisBTY posted:

Arn't his old money neighbors dead by now?
Or is he getting shade thrown at him by their children?
I will at least take some small comfort in knowing that Old Money Senpai will never notice Vincent Kennedy McMahon.

The money was old, not necessarily the neighbours.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Smoking Crow posted:

Diablo Velasco and El Satanico have trained a billion people in Mexico

Wasnt that a Trump campaign slogan?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TheKingslayer posted:

*Vince sighs and has Warriors bone saw dismembered corpse brought in*

"Just how ya like 'em, pal!"

Randy Savage is also dead.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Maybe it's a Mario Mario situation?

So their full names are "Edge and Christian" and "Christian and Christian"? Seems legit to me.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

BrigadierSensible posted:

Here's a question:

Apart from Owen Hart and Koko B Ware, I can't think of many inter-racial tag teams. Or even stables, (Owen again here is the exception that proves the rule.) Can anybody remember any prominent tag teams/stables that were inter-racial?

What got me thinking about this was WWE/Vince's racism and the way that he always seems to put his Black wrestlers in teams together eventually.

Rock and Sock Connection, William Regal and Tajiri, Tajiri and Eddie Guerrero, outside the WWE the Road Warriors in Japan. I'm assuming when you say "Stable" we arent including Wrestler + Manager as a stable? Because if we are there are more.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ganso Bomb posted:

Duggan, maybe? I mean he was always pushed as a lovable face in WWF but never won a title which he did in WCW.

I'd argue that lovable face was a better use of Duggan than handing him any kind of title tbh.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The start of Tajiris run in the WWE might count? He was essentially Regals comedy manservent, then went into the ring and tajiri'd the gently caress out of some poor bastard. Google tells me it was Crash Holly. If I'm honest what I mainly remember is Regals fantastic facial expressions as Regal realised that the man he'd been heaping with abuse was in fact a viciously competent wrestler.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Thats the good stuff!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

In a company like WWE I think Edge did unbelievably well for a guy with the body of a 13 year old.

Historically theres been people in the WWE who did much much much worse with the body of a 13 year old.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Roddy Piper pretended to be a Scot.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Davros1 posted:

Maybe not the most successful, but the Big Bossman character has to be up there. Then you'd also have to look at gimmicks like The Road Warriors and The Rock-N-Roll Express, which I'd argue are more successful than the Undertaker's, purely on the sheer number of imitators they inspired.

For similar reasons you have to at least entertain an arguement for Gorgeous George (not the WCW lady, the original one).

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DeathChicken posted:

I like to believe Flair's character constantly goes "This move won the biggest match of my life 40 years ago, it's sure to work this time too"

"I beat Harley Race with this move, and you sir are no Harley Race..."

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Punch McLightning posted:

Vince's hero is MLK Jr.

Although he does feel he'd have got more over if he dropped the "Jr".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lamuella posted:

It puts me in mind a bit of public speaking. I have to do talks and classes and stuff as part of my job, and there's really three ways you can do that. If it's a subject you don't know at all, you will probably have the text of exactly what you want to say. If it's a subject you've talked about before and you're comfortable with, you might have a few subjects or just a handful of bullet points. And sometimes you can just speak from the heart with no notes at all.

Of course, what makes it more complicated is doing it with at least one other person who has to cooperate with you. But again, the better you know that person, the better you'll be at knowing what needs to be done with them.

Its like acting: Some actors like to get very method, others are "have you tried acting, dear boy, its so much easier", some like a lot of improv, some like to stick exactly to a script. Audience ideally will never know as long as the performances work on camera/stage. Problems occur when you force an actor who is great at improv but bad at scripts to stick rigidly to the script, or when you force someone with no experience or aptitude with improv to wing it. Which is when we get things like "Oh, we hosed up that spot. Better just do the exact same spot again!"

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lamuella posted:

Funnily enough, the Summer of Punk happened AFTER he was offered a WWE contract.

it seems like he did a tryout match against Val Venis of all people in May 2005 and was offered a developmental contract off the back of that. The match is on Youtube and it's actually not bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHiajPlPXNg. He then used the contract with WWE as part of the heel turn in his ROH title run that became the "summer of Punk" with the threat being that he was going to take the ROH title to WWE with him without defending it on the way out.

Back in the day I remember hearing that if the WWE were interested in you, they'd put you in a dark match with Val Venis or another Journeyman wrestler. He's a steady hand that they know works a fine enough WWE style match, so if the match sucks out loud its probably not going to be his fault, but hes no shining star either so if the match is amazing its not because Venis is doing the worlds greatest carry job.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TheKingslayer posted:

The Doomsday Device always seemed really hard to safely bump from.

I always felt like if they did the version where animal fell over backwards with the victim it was probably safer/easier to take than if they did the version where animal just stayed standing (and sometimes gave the victims legs a shove up) and they rotate through 270 degrees before hitting the mat.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Vagabundo posted:

Here's a fun experiment: what would this look like if this were to take place on Raw next week?

I mean, a lot slower for a start.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Did anyone mention Mordecai using the Cruxifix Powerbomb yet?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

sticklefifer posted:

But we all agree that Marilyn Manson Prince David Bowie 100% got ribs surgically removed so he could blow himself, right?

Fixed it for you.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

It was usually the middle rope with Harley rather than the top. And it really was kind of a "stand on the middle turnbuckle, fall forward" type of affair which doesnt look nearly as high impact as other versions of the move, but then again Harley lived to his mid 70s and I believe all his kids are still alive so I'll give it a pass.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

sticklefifer posted:

Piggybacking on this: Ishin Iihashi in Dragongate is promoted as their first ever "thoroughbred" because both his parents were pro wrestlers, and his father Ishinriki is still active and retiring in September.

1) What are some examples of wrestlers whose parents are/were both wrestlers, and
2) out of those, who has at least one parent who is/was still active during their kids' careers?

Paige (Sweet Saraya and "Rowdy" Ricky Knight), due to injury she wound up retired before her mum did.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Edge & Christian posted:

Everyone should use more and more wrestling slang until we perfect the Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo of using gimmick, i.e. This gimmick's gimmick was that he had a gimmicked gimmick that he sold as a gimmick

You mean the Tatanka tatanka Tatanka tatanka tatanka tatanka Tatanka tatanka, surely.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MassRafTer posted:

Because it's a bad idea to leave yourself prone and defenseless.

A worse idea than being hit by a rainmaker?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

A lot of years ago a couple of friends of mine were trainee wrestlers, and they were going to have their first match with the promotion associated with the school. Okay, they were mainly going to be warm bodies making up the numbers in a top rope battle royale, but they were tapped to at least get some offense in on other trainees before being eliminated by the guys whose names were on the poster. the evening of the show a visiting wrestler (whose name I wish I could remember, he'd had like a cup of coffee in the WWE in the 90s, and his best days were very much behind him. He looked a lot like a bald egg in a black singlet) asked what my pals finish was, and he said "Its a sort of arm trap sit out cutter" to which the veteran (whose finish was essentially the stone cold stunner) responded, and I'm told this is a direct quote "AS LONG AS MY ARSE POINTS SOUTH YOU WILL NOT BE USING A CUTTER AS A FINISH IN THIS OR ANY OTHER FED". So thats how my mate was assigned a submission finish which he had to make the best of for the rest of his (brief) wrestling career.

ETA: He was also billed as being i think 4 inches taller than my mates (shoot) height, despite being visibly much shorter than him.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Didnt he go on to work for colesium video or something similar after he quit as an active wrestler or am I thinking of someone else?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Not jobs for life, but Val Venis and I think the Godfather were kept around in the WWE for much longer than you would expect because they were seen as "good hands", solid journeyman wrestlers who could be used for try-out matches for new talent. If you couldnt have a decent match with Val you probably werent much use to the WWE. Plus their gimmicks could get a nice easy pop in dark matches to warm up the crowd.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Muscle Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark (match).

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why did they call him Harley Race? He didn’t look very fast to me.

Because it was his name.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Dawgstar posted:

Wasn't the problem also Sean couldn't deliver his Devil's Advocate promos without cracking up?

Thats what I heard at the time too, for whatever thats worth.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If I say Roddy Piper do I get They Live and Hell Comes To Frogtown, or is it just their in-ring work?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Just once I want to see a wrestler get trousers made with belt loops big enough to take the championship belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ganso Bomb posted:

Some mysteries may never be solved. They made a whole show about it!

I think I saw that show, it had something to do with stunt grannies.