Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

shiksa posted:

njpws "levels of heelishness" system is great especially with all the large factions they have.

it makes so much sense and it's basically exactly how I would want to classify wrestlers if I ran something.

LIJ v SZG matchups 4evr

The units aren't perfectly homogenous either. For example Bullet Club has Ishimori who mostly just cheats to help out his partners but can have a clean fight and his promos are mostly about boosting himself, and Jay White as an unrepentant fuckhead who will never show fighting spirit and completely hates the crowd and other units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Low Desert Punk posted:

what's the best match Big Show has ever had?

One Night Stand 2008, Show/Punk/Morrison/Chavo/Dreamer. That's a lot of participants but it's absolutely a Big Show showcase match.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Anyone have that completely incoherent HHH promo where he goes "If you cut the tail off a dog...it dies" or something batshit like that

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

They might have had eyes on him as a pillar for the US expansion but crowds booing him out of the building overseas nixed that, so he was left aimless in the increasingly stacked NJ midcard. The depth of talent in the company in 2019 was bounds above their 2015 roster and he never improved.

Seriously, in the time he was on, the roster got:

- the entire SZKG back from NOAH
- the entire LIJ aside from Naito
- Switchblade
- Juice
- Full Time Ibushi
- R3K
- Ishimori
- Ospreay
- Zack

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 24, 2020

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Any excuse to post this pic of the Korakuen Hall stairway, which is all graffitied up. While I was snapping the shot a scottish guy looked at me, looked at it and laughed "well, THAT's not ever happening"

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Two mediocrities botching their way into a lovely heatless WMOTYC happens all the time.

But it's particularly damning when two of the best talents in the world completely whiff their highly anticipated clash with the worst match layout possible and it ends up a lovely heatless WMOTYC despite technical competence. Has there ever been a worse one of these than Okada vs Ishimori?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

D.N. Nation posted:

Triple H at Mania. The ones in bold are the ones I think are bullshit.

23: injured

Touching on this one - HBK was the main event challenger that year and he used the DX theme and gear through the build to and at Wrestlemania (going back to his solo act the night after), just so you would have no chance of forgetting it was supposed to originally be HHH in there. It was really offputting.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Lily Catts posted:

drat, that's tragic.

I've been following King of Gate and I'm bewildered by the fact that Dragon Gate has a lot of wrestlers in their early 20s, when fresh New Japan talent typically perform years of service as Young Lions (then they have to go on excursion for years). So is the Young Lion/young boy system just limited to New Japan? How do other Japanese promotions handle their trainees?

I mean, SB KENTo is feuding with Dragon Kid, a guy more than twice his age, and he is absolutely killing it. How does DG do it lol (sorry if these are a lot of questions)

It's fairly traditional in japanese wrestling, somewhat dependent on promotion. DG is in an interesting spot because they were approaching NOAH levels of eating their young in the mid to late '10s, with the legends and Big 6 being established stars and anyone young getting an incredibly slow stop-start push and often having trouble getting over with the crowds as a result, which looped back into them not pulling the trigger on these floundering prospects because of the tepid crowd response. A feedback loop.

Then the 2018 split where president Okamura and CIMA's faction left the company happened.

Now, DG was left in a position

- with a bunch of star power and future prospects gone between the split, Tozawa, Shingo about to jump...
- with the established stars getting old and possibly beaten by injuries, even the Big 6 generation
- with new management.

So they course corrected super hard because the only option left was rocket packing a bunch of rookies, and here we are.

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 6, 2021

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

sticklefifer posted:

It's also that Dragon Gate (and Toryumon prior to that) was never really beholden to puro traditions because it mainly took inspiration from lucha. The way they set it up, having the young boy dynamic isn't really necessary because they can just as easily add a rookie fresh out of the Dragon System to a unit and make a story out of it. That was pretty much the entire purpose of CIMA's Over Generation unit - basically We Are Team Veteran teaching rookies. To an extent it was also the Millennials unit being relative nobodies until they went on excursion to Mexico, then returned as punkass kids wanting to beat up the old guard.

In the sense that the rookies aren't doing a literal plain trunks no personality pineater thing, yeah. But compare like a Kaito Ishida or Eita coming up to the way KENTo or Kikuta is treated at a similar stage of their career. It's night and day.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Kzy was a middling heel loss post until his turn, where he started getting over as the scrappy underdog with flash pins and now is a credible main eventer

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Silly Burrito posted:

What is the best wrestler’s nickname and why is it Budge?

THE Andrew "King" Takuma amazes me every time I see the name on a card because I can't even begin to reason out the process that led to a wrestler being called that.

what the gently caress he's the former dinosaur takuma? now I have even more questions

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Defenestrategy posted:

lol no. Both existed.

This unlocked a memory. The WWE universe was a message board. It was instantly overrun by Benoit roleplay accounts and shuttered

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

MassRafTer posted:

Wasn't that WWE Fan Nation?

Could be, tbh. I can easily believe there were more failed official WWE social media pushes I've never heard of.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Some companies do recruit and train referees though. One of my friends actually applied when New Japan did a recent recruitment for new referees (the one they got Yuya Sakamoto and Taito Nakabayashi out of) but got rejected for being too small.

Genuinely nutty that their height obsession extends to refs lol. A short ref makes the stars looks huge!

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Hiromu/KUSHIDA from Sakura Genesis 2017 is a perfect match and it goes two minutes. No amount of changes could make it any better. Star ratings systems break completely when applied to a nontypical match layout and are a boring way to assess wrestling as a result

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Satoshi Kojima is becoming an excellent pick with the addition of his late career "NJPW doesn't care and just lets him work big singles matches everywhere" phase.