Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

It'd be Reigns if it weren't Rollins. It'd be Cena if it weren't Reigns, though eventually, Cena figured out ways to succeed in spite of how WWE booked him.

They don't know how to book a top guy and never have. Name the last one who got over because of them instead of in spite of them.

Agree 100% and I think if Cena hadn't found a way out he'd only be tanking things slightly less than the other two at this point but then again he might actually just be winning his matches instead of that HiaC bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Anyone have the gif of Big Show accidentally putting his foot through a table in a table match? He had an amazing ...oh poo poo... expression.

No, but you can have this.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

'With the deepest regrets, and tears that are soaked
I'm sorry to hear that your dad finally croaked
He lived a full life on his own terms
Soon he'll be buried and eaten by worms
But if I could have a son as stupid as you
I'd have wished for cancer so I would die too
So be brave, and be strong, get your life on track
'Cause the old bastard's DEAD and he ain't never comin' back!'

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

There was the time Vince wanted Kane's character in See No Evil to have a three foot dick. It's not wrestling but it's still Vince being weird as poo poo.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

If I were ever asked to associate the words Pro Wrestler with someone it would be Terry Funk.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Was it Funk that called Dusty an "egg sucking son of a whore"? Because that poo poo still makes me laugh.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

gently caress if I can remember but there's the one promo where he offers his daddy's watch to someone even though he hates them so they'll tag together. Terry Funk is the poo poo.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

What does catering mean? I mean, I know what catering is, but does it have a special significance here? e.g.:

It just means not being used on TV. You might make the house show circuit but you're just being paid not to work for anywhere else.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The more insidious thing about their current practice is the talent they are starting to buy is young enough that WWE can flat out stop them from making more of a name for themselves unlike guys like Kevin Owens or Finn Balor. I think Atlas signing is a huge mistake for him because in five years there can already be someone with way more buzz than he has once he's done with WWE if ever.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

TriffTshngo posted:

There's a wrestling renaissance happening right now and it has next to nothing to do with WWE, and is in fact happening DESPITE their best efforts. Aside from Britwres, though. They all pretty much bent over backwards to destroy their own scene to be able to call Triple H their dad on twitter and tell fans they're idiots and that the scene is alive and well as the coffin is being lowered into the ground.

This is the main reason I think no one should support WWE. If you really do love pro wrestling WWE has to go because they'll do everything in their power to kill the industry outside of their narrow view of what it should be.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

I actually found the conclusion of the third fall in that blow off match very unsatisfying. The match itself was great but I hated the finish.

Same, it pissed me off big time back then. If we're talking about the Austin and HHH blow off.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I loved The Two Man Power Trip but on the other hand I also loving loved Paranoid Heel Austin losing his loving mind while trying to lead The Alliance. I know blah blah it was bad for business blah blah I don't care it was some of my most enjoyable memories of WWF/E in the early 2000s. I loving love Steve Austin.

Paranoid Austin divorced from business really does rule. Especially when the whole reason he joins the Alliance is because VInce hugs Kurt Angle now.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Anyone else ever wear their Bullet Club shirts out and have gun nuts come talk to you about well... guns? I wore my Halloween one out to a Halloween themed dog shelter charity and one guy in a "Don't Tread On Me" shirt decided I was his kinda people.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

This is Michael Cole's best call. Also you can listen to it for ten hours.
https://youtu.be/A7b61zoFycY

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

Are we positive Vince sleeps though?

He does. I have a picture of it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I want to see Kane fight the Undertaker one more time at WrestleMania for the position of Mayor of Knox County, Tennessee.

Tragically you'll have to settle for Cain.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Whoever Davey Boy hit the running powerslam on after and then whoever received that wrestler's finisher etc.

So probably still Davey.

I seriously had to talk myself out of tracing this. I'm not gonna.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Yo which Smackdown vs. Raw game had an event where Lashley calls you on the phone and breathes heavy? I think of that poo poo every time I see him.... oh and the whole cucking thing now. Kind of hard to forget that.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Oh yeah and did all the games when they ran out of story just have Vince bring out a ridiculous randomly generated giant to try and kill you?

Those games seemed to know Vince very well.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

I can't imagine a polygraph would work on Hogan very well since I don't think he so much 'lies' as 'has lost all grasp on reality'

One of my favorite Hogan things is when he gets asked about the Montreal Screwjob and obviously has no idea what happened but just runs with it. Even mentions HBK physically holding down Bret for a three count.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

this omits how he buried Moxley for leaving which imo was a big turning point for a lot of people

gently caress him forever for this. But the joke is on Seth because now he's wrestling a Juggalo in the light bulb section of a Spencer's Gifts every week.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Yeah I think the gist of it was Jesse Ventura was going around organizing the boys in the locker room and Hogan crept out to tell on him.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The Cameo posted:

Because they don’t know how to book a face “king” despite the idea behind the tournament supposedly being “who’s the best wrestler in the company who isn’t already a champ?”

Oh I thought the winner just received a stupid new gimmick and faces weren't dumb enough to fall for it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

His acceptance speech where he annihilated what was left of Billy Gunn's credibility turned him face

I still laugh at, "Billy Bitch Cakes"

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Schneider Heim posted:

I have asked a similar question before, but what basic/weak-looking moves are deceptively injury-prone? I got surprised upon reading that the leg drop hosed Hogan's body up, and I have several other accounts from wrestlers (some have been injured by a botched hiptoss, a lock up, or even a simple stomp on a grounded opponent).

Cena tore his pectoral on an arm drag if I remember right. Or a hip toss. Either way he just sold it bad and got hosed up.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Randaconda posted:

Wasn't that because Kennedy did it all weird?

Honestly I'm not sure, I've only heard Meltzer talk about it but I wouldn't be shocked if it was Kennedy's fault.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Sandman is one of my favorite wrestlers and I'll never apologize. Joey Janela is like my neo Sandman.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

TheCool69 posted:

Goddamnit can somebody help me find, which Lapsed Fan episode has them reading Julie Harts book. I know it the Montreal episodes but i cant find it.

I need to hear Boss reacting to Brett loving Julie and saying "one more for the road" and then divorcing her

I'm pretty sure it's in the Prelude to Montreal episodes. Specifically episode 2 because that's where they get into all the Harts and their perspectives. At the very least I know it's where they read Diana Hart's book.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Is there any place to watch old Continental Wrestling Association shows?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Amazon Prime has collections of shows

Well I'll be damned. I never thought Amazon would have this much wrestling stuff. This rules.

I was mostly looking for the Jimmy Hart's First Family stuff from back then. I could be asking for the completely wrong promotion though.

Edit: Oh I'm about to fall down this rabbit hole hard. Old poo poo from the 80s and early 90s is my favorite winter viewing fare.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 21, 2019

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

So I got into a couple episodes of CWA and my personal takes so far.

Jimmy Hart is the only good promo I've seen.

Tons of ugly guys on the roster.

Also a poo poo load of masked wrestlers. Not luchas or anything, just dudes in masks. I'm guessing this was pretty common in the territory days or just in the Mid-South territories?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I've only seen one Lawler promo against Ken Patera and he just seemed kinda boring. I figured it wasn't the best of his work though.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Go to youtube, watch McMemphis in order. Trust me on this. TONS of good promos, as WWE invades Memphis. With lead heels Bret and Owen Hart, and a prototype Mr.McMahon.

Lawler cuts multiple strong promos.

Oh poo poo, thank you. I'd just heard about that whole angle last week but wasn't sure where to find it. Bret and Owen getting involved in some southern wrasslin' sounded great.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Saturn's interview with I think... Jericho was super super sad. Talked about where he'd been all that time. I liked Saturn a lot so I was stoked that he was at least alive and getting clean.

As of that recording anyway.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Was waiting to catch the first overt racism in these Memphis videos and

"I hate Orientals"

-Jimmy Hart

I knew Memphis had a rep, but godamn.

Oh and there's Joe Leduc slinging the F slur.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Nov 22, 2019

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I thought Edge and Christian were both pretty equal. That is if we're talking skills and not the heights they reached.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It was even more upsetting because Joe Leduc was being hateful AND attacking The Fabulous Ones and I'm just not ok with either of those.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

Some of the biggest disparities in talent I can think of in a tag team are:

Shane McMahon, Batista and HHH
Shane McMahon and Drew McIntyre
Shane McMahon and The Miz
Shane McMahon and Vince McMahon

It's a bit unfair to compare middling talents like that to The Best In The World.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Deathlove posted:

Once again, imagine the hell world where Nakamura gets Glorious and Bobby Roode got Nakamura's theme.

Nakamura would have still gotten it over and Roode would have signed with TNA again after surfing catering for a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

Are there any matches where the stipulation was "Multiple refs at ringside to make sure the heels don't cheat after a ref bump" and if yes how did the heels manage to cheat?

Only thing I can recall immediately is the match where Shane and Daniel Bryan were both reffing the match and kept getting in each other's way and eventually fighting.