Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Didn't Bret Hart refer to Melina as one of the top wrestlers in the world at some point? What is it with old legend dudes and Melina.

The Melina/Foley thing at least crossed over to the on-screen product a bit, as it was a focal point of the ill-conceived 2006 Foley vs Flair feud :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Pope Corky the IX posted:

One of my favorite J-E-DOUBLE-F-J-A-DOUBLE-R-E-DOUBLE-T-HA-HA moments is when his action figure couldn't have "Don't Piss Me Off!" on the shirt, so it was changed to "Don't **** Me Off!" which is so much worse.
There was also the extra-polite variation with “don’t make me mad!” printed on the guitar :kiddo:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Edge & Christian posted:

Here are the highest rated ones according to Big Dave:

WCW Uncensored 2000 - Hogan vs. Flair (Strap) ***** 1/4*
WCW Superbrawl III (1993) - Sting vs. Vader (Strap) **** 1/4
WWF In Your House Beware of Dog 1996 - Savio Vega vs. Steve Austin (Strap) ****
TNA August 6 2003 - America's Most Wanted vs. Swinger & Diamond (Strap) *** 1/2
WCW Uncensored 1995 - Hogan vs. Vader (Strap) *** 1/2
WWF Fully Loaded 1999 - Rock vs HHH (Strap) *** 1/4
ROH Best in the World 2017 - Adam Page vs. Kazarian (Strap) ***
TNA Slammiversary 2017 - James Storm vs. EC3 (Strap) ***

* Three extra stars granted for using Yapapi for the strapation, brother

Follow up question is how many of those matches have the finish where the face covertly taps the first three turnbuckles while the heel drags him around the ring, then finally "intercepts" the fourth for the dramatic win.

I swear like 99% of strap matches have done that, and I hate it because whenever they explain the rules before the match it sounds like it shouldn't even work that way.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Were the recurring jobbers on WWF Superstars mostly local workers, or was there of a handful of contracted job guys in there? Like I believe Brooklyn Brawler was with WWF full time despite performing exclusively as a jobber (correct me if I'm wrong).

And what about a guy like Barry Horowitz? I assumed he started local and eventually got signed when he did the angle with Candido/Skip.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 15, 2019

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Gavok posted:

But Luger didn't do the torture rack in WWF.
He def at least started doing it, because I distinctly recall the "Rebel Rack" being called and I didn't watch WCW. But yeah that wouldn've been way after his run as a potential top face. Pretty sure he just used the loaded forearm for the majority of his WWF run (with the face commentators suddenly having no problem with the "steel plate" after he turned, ha).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

FunMerrania posted:

One friend almost died taking a hiptoss and another one got concussed taking an armdrag.
re: extremely common moves, I saw an extremely scary back-bodydrop in a class and I'm honestly surpised there haven't been more injuries off that one.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Honestly that TV lawyer delivering his info via a drawn-out riddle is one of my favorite dumb wrestling things. Like the angle itself is played for stupid comedy but that aspect of it was handled relatively straight with no one in-universe really questioning it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Shamrock was in that "Ahmed Johnson zone" of guys who get pushed pretty hard and remain very protected but never really go anywhere. It's that awkward spot of being too over for the midcard but too green or unproven to build the show around. Typically they end up getting booked in one token title match, and then comes an ill-advised heel turn as WWE can't come up with anything else to do with them.

I think timing also killed him as he came in while Undertaker was champion, and the title then went from Bret to Shawn to Austin. That's a pretty airtight title scene (although Bret claims he would have dropped the title to Shamrock before the Montreal Survivor Series) and once Austin is in the picture it's drat hard to introduce another relatively new face to the top.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Dell_Zincht posted:

I'm partial to a casket match, AFAIK there aren't many major companies doing them and WWE only does them when Undertaker is involved.

It's such a silly concept but I love it.
Yeah I always hated the unwritten rule that a casket match HAS to involve Taker and/or Kane. I wanna be able to see like two high fliers doing sick spots with the casket involved.

On a similar note, there could be some spectacular imagery in a Kane-less inferno match. Although it would still suck for the wrestlers involved, and probably still wouldn't amount to an actual good match. The whole "setting your opponent on fire" win condition kind of limits what you can do as well, so they might has well open that up.

btw that got me thinking about Bray's debut in an inferno match, which I remembered ending in a pinfall, but now that I look it up it was apparently a "Ring of Fire" match? Huh, okay.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I like how Earl Hebner smacked the mat for a three count, good full arm extension.
Nick Patrick did a stupid little T-rex flailing forearm slap that I always hated.
Tim White always sounded like he was counting the 1 when he dropped to the floor, leading to many confusing 2-counts that sounded like 3-counts, or actual 3-counts that sounded like 4-counts and hurt the finish a little.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Slam Jam (2)

Profile:
New York City, september 18/19. 1995 - Manhattan's Electric Lady Studios witness the added power of some of the biggest talent in rock. Combine five players from some of the most important U.S. metal and underground rock acts with two rappers from german crossover kings Such A Surge and you got the the Super-All-Star-Project group Slam Jam.

Members:
Gary Meskil, Jon Oliva, Kenny Hickey, Michel Begeame, Oliver Schneider, Scott Rosenfeld, Tim Mallare

Singles & EPs:
Slam Jam (2) - Full Metal (The Single)
The World Wrestling Federation Superstars* & Slam Jam (2) - Full Metal (The Single) ‎(CD, Single) Concrete (2) 0086365 CTR 1995

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Re: PatriotChat, Tom Brandi later "bought" the gimmick from Del Wilkes (which Del has claimed never actually happened) and worked as The Patriot at a bunch of indy shows. I guess I have no reason to believe one over the other, but I worked with the Brandi version in a local tag match and he seemed cool enough v:shobon:v. Also got a tag match with the third-most-remembered version of Doink on my résumé !

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Watching some of these WWF Superstars episodes from 1992 and it got me wondering - was there any particular reason Jim Powers was relegated to enhancement talent in the early '90s? He's Vince's prototypical muscular dreamboat and looks really out of place among all the schlubby jobbers. It's especially odd since they were repackaging Hogan-era midcard guys left and right at the time.

bartok posted:

The only thing that I hate about the Wrestlemania X ladder match is how everyone downplays Scott Hall's role in the match, but that might be the Razor Ramon fan in me talking. I also think Bret/Owen was the better match.
Anecdotally, I was the biggest Bret mark but found myself liking the ladder match more at the time. But as the years went on, Bret/Owen overtook it in my mind. Interesting that it seems that way for a lot of people. :)

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Edge & Christian posted:

The real prequel to all of the Developmental Names was the period in the late 1980s/early 1990s where they'd take established wrestlers and give them a goofy rear end gimmick that would essentially replace their names. Sometimes they'd still acknowledge (sometimes) that it's THE DRAGON ricky steamboat or EL MATADOR tito santana or THE MODEL rick martel but just as often "Mister Perfect" or "The Repo Man" or "I.R.S." or ""Skinner" or "Texas Tornado" or "Red Rooster" would effectively replace the name they used elsewhere.
Crush is a funny one from that period. He doesn't even change his name, but they speak about him as if he is a completely new character debuting in the World Wrestling Federation. Then after a few months he keeps the name/look but is retconned to be a thickly-accented Hawaiian, interjecting "shakka bra!!" in his promos and things like that. I find the sudden origin change especially funny since his initial re-debut vignettes featured flashbacks to his (non-Hawaiian) childhood.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 22, 2020

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

bartok posted:

Besides we all know Slow Chemical from Finger Eleven would win hands down.
Slow Chemical was basically commissioned by WWE; Discogs only has the song appearing on international versions of Forceable Entry before it showed up on the Punisher soundtrack.

And even the Punisher soundtrack's status as a non-wrestling release is supsect, when you read down the tracklist and notice how much material has shown up in WWE in some form.

Yes I know too much about early/mid-2000's buttrock.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Not letting them beat the heel 6 times before they beat them at the PPV would help, I think.
okay so Cena might be able to totally clown on The Miz & R-Truth on his own... but can he beat them if he teams up with The Rock??? $59.99

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Edge & Christian posted:

It was ostensibly a face vs. face match and in those the champion is always kind of the defacto heel, and Michaels seemed fine with playing that up.

I don't know that Michaels had bombed as champion, but looking at his year prior to the match from a "smart fan" perspective:

1) Michaels got injured/'injured' and couldn't drop the IC belt to Shane Douglas, who by this time was back in ECW, so this may have soured 'smart' ECW fans on him
2) Michaels got injured/'injured' again with the Owen Hart Enziguri Concussion angle, which got called out by a lot as a bad/poor taste angle
3) This is only a few months after the "Curtain Call" angle in the same building, which I think most fans were fine with
4) The match was originally supposed to be Michaels dropping the belt to Vader but the Kliq allegedly politicked Vader out of the spot in favor of Sid, which was reported by the Observer/etc.
5) We're only a few months out from Shawn "losing his smile" and refusing to drop the belt to Bret at WM13 after quickly winning it back from Sid

Sid's charisma carried him a long ways, and I don't know if any of those single things is a smoking gun for people turning on Michaels, but he was definitely an rear end in a top hat circa 1996 (which they converted into his onscreen DX character within a year) and it's entirely possible that enough 'smart fans' in MSG knew about it and held it against them.
While not quite as overt or drawn-out as a Roman or Cena, Shawn had a bit of a superman push going on throughout 1996. It was most evident in the commentary booth; Vince was absolutely relentless in putting Shawn over non-stop. I have to figure there was a lot of smark resentment at the time, and the negative reaction on that show was so strong that Vince did a weird promo on Raw the next night about how a lot of people don't like Shawn but he proved he was a man's man in handling the loss, or something to that effect.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Randaconda posted:

Also, his gimmick was basically "male stripper". That's not gonna get the grown men behind you

haha

he would even occasionally do these weird striptease bits where he started pulling his pants down while dancing on the ring apron, all the while Vince would be getting uncomfortable on commentary and awkwardly bellowing "hohoho anything can happen in the WWF!!"

i grew up in a pretty PG household and this was my closest equivalent to "watchcing a movie with your parents and a sex scene comes on"

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Red posted:

His original HBK gimmick, with Sherri (where she literally sang his song), was that he was a gigolo, right? That explains the little hat and heart-shaped glasses back then, but .... 5 years later?
Not in the "mid-'90s-day-job-gimmick" sense, it was more of just a general look. He was a conceited gentleman who would pose in the mirror during his entrance, and insist that an announcment be made to the fans in attendance when he left the building. He just also dressed like a stripper and hosted a hotel-based talk show segment.

A weird pastiche borrowing from loosely-related ideas, kinda like Jon Morrison being Jim Morrison but with a Jimi Hendrix theme song.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What was the rationale behind Bret's untelevised title win 1992? I realize business was more heavily based around house shows back then, but as far as I know this was just a one-off match filmed for Coliseum Home Video, rather than the usual loops they would promote on the weekend TV.

Did they want to keep the Flair/Savage feud going but without the title involved? Was it just a shocking twist to drum up interest? Was home video business down and they felt this would give it a shot in the arm?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Going back a bit to Austin/Owen piledriver chat - Owen actually does that same spot but with a standard Tombstone vs Bret at Wrestlemania 10. Undertaker wasn't actually on that card, so I assume that's why they were okay with using the regular drop-to-knees version. This version of the spot was also in the Bret vs. Benoit on Nitro (Owen tribute) match.

I always assumed Owen made a last-second adjustment and sat out when he remembered that the Tomstone was already "taken" for that night. But based on the account from Ausin posted earlier, it sounds like the decision was made ahead of time (just with some unfortunate misunderstanding surrounding it).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I was just thinking about WWE's "the brand is the star" nonsense, and it occurred to me that you rarely hear wrestlers refer specifically to their own fans anymore. What I mean is stuff like "Hulkamaniacs" or the Rock referring to his millions AND MILLIONS of fans watching at home. Now wrestlers just love to entertain the WWE Universe and it's just another little dimension of everyone being replaceable and everything sucking.

Anyway, when is the last time a WWE wrestler referred to their own fanbase on a regular basis? I'm thinking "Cenation" (which didn't even last too long) may have been it?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

RAW IS WAR'S A THORN

IN YOUR EYE
The old raw theme is credited to "Slam Jam," which according to Discogs includes "two rappers from german crossover kings Such A Surge." So now I'm wondering if everything aside from the title line is actually unintelligible German, rather than unintelligible English. Those lyrics remain one of the great unsolved mysteries of our time.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

SLUM KING posted:

Rey is the easily the most mistreated world champion of all time. A better, less racist company would have built around him (and Eddy) and made some huge loving money but Vince is a dumb bigot who booked the greatest face of the last 30 years as a joke.
My favorite piece of bad Mysterio booking from that time period was his match against RVD. It's non-title of course, and the finish was RVD placing a chair on top of Rey and going for a frog splash. Rey manages to toss the chair away right before the moment of impact, and then just... gets pinned anyway.

Like the obvious story directions would be Rey taking the devastating chair-assisted move and losing valiantly, or getting the chair out of the way just in time and kicking out at 2.99999... but lol nah they came up with a 3rd option that made everyone look less cool

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

britishbornandbread posted:

Currently enjoying Survivor Series 1996 with a beer. Is there a deeper reason for the smarky crowd cheering Sid and booing Shawn? They seemed “normal” for Bret v Austin before.
Vince McMahon was still doing full-time commentary and was rather insufferable in his non-stop praise for Shawn. Just imagine a typical WWE superman push, but with the owner of the company literally telling you how great the wrestler is throughout the entire broadcast. A solid year of that got 15-year-old me to be resentful of the HBK push, so I have to imagine a crowd of smarky adults felt the same (especially when given a likeable foil like Sid to latch on to).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

JOHN CENA posted:

theres that one image where shawn michaels is somehow completely vertical and upside down

That’s what I immediately thought of, it looks like he’s balancing himself on the top of his head with no other support.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

D.N. Nation posted:

Yep, both came out to "Break It Down," as did Chyna separately; they basically kept the song going for 5 minutes
I looked this up and the clip i found made it look like Shawn got a "currently in the ring" jobber entrance lol. But I assume he did the full bit before the commercial break and the clip just started after.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

MassRafTer posted:

At one point WCW was going to get Raw and WWF would get Smackdown. The plans changed several times and included that idea and WCW being its own touring brand with a show late nights on TNN, and then finally the invading faction we got.
Was that the one with a handful of working titles that included *ahem* "Hard-On Saturday Night"?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

bessantj posted:

Thanks for the answers. It was a serious shift in tone. But unless you know what actually happened then you are likely to give a fawning eulogy because Benoit had been so important to WWE at the time. They way they talked about how he just broke down after Eddie's death a well it did seem like he was on a course fro something like this to happen but you wouldn't know until the event happened and you could look back and piece it all together.
This reminds me, who was it that was said to be on "death watch" after Eddie's passing? I think I was mostly reading 411mania boards at the time so I'm not sure how widespread of story it was. Certainly seems very clickbaity in retrospect!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Bruiser Brody
Magnum TA
David Von Erich
Marc "Black Tiger" Rocco
Dick "Destroyer" Beyer
The Sheik (Ed Farhat, not the Iron Sheik)
Bill Dundee
"No Class" Bobby Bass
Hijo Del Santo
Dory Funk Jr.
Shinya Hashimoto

Dory was in, if Rumble appearances count.
Brody might count if WWWF matches get grandfathered in!

Sandman McMahon posted:

I know what you’re referring too and I’m pretty sure it was Kurt Angle.
ah yeah that tracks... I recall thinking it might be Kurt when he abruptly left the company after "refusing to go to rehab." It was long enough ago at this point that I have trouble sorting out what was actually reported and what was just my own speculation.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Eat My Fuc posted:

drat that sounds good
The one thing that bugged me about the Final/Fatal Four match was that they changed the rules shortly before the show to include over-the-top eliminations, along with the originally announced pinfalls/submissions. And then I think every elimination in the actual match ended up being over-the-top. At the time it felt like a cop-out (I guess they wanted to protect Undertaker more going into WM13?) but at least it made thematic sense, since the match was essentially a do-over of the Rumble finals in kayfabe.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Are there any wrestlers you think look like another person? I've just remembered Static X and Wayne Static (RIP) and I cannot unsee Matt Hardy.
This isn't a joke about his recent baldness, but Shawn Michaels reminds me of Bruce Willis in a weird way. Not like directly in the face, but in a lot of his facial expressions and mannerisms.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

DLC Inc posted:

Why has Trent Beretta used the "Trent?" name with the question mark, is it some kind of inside joke? Is it because he can't use Beretta/Baretta or something?

On a similar note, Billy Gunn was announced with his full gimmick name on Dynamite last week (rather
than then the carefully-phrased “BILLY of the GUNN club” they had been doing). Did WWE just let that one slip through the cracks? I would’ve expected them to clamp down harder after Cody got Rhodes back.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Stone Cold leaving and the Brand Split/HHH reign of terror is the last major stretch I remember before bailing until the CM Punk Pipebomb. So 2003ish to mid-2011 is a blindspot for me when it comes to WWE; was there ANY gold in there? Or is it just fond memories of some good stuff (Smackdown 6, the early ECW revival attempts, Edge’s big heel push) in a sea of garbage?
You've got most of Shawn Michaels' comeback run in that time period, which is chock full of fantastic wrestling. Honestly "comeback run" sells it short as he was effectively full-time, at least in terms of the televised product, and the standard of workrate he maintained was ridiculously high IMO. Some of it may depend on your level of HHH tolerance (most people see their 2004 HIAC match as the nadir of "big match" indulgence), but there's a ton of gems including the Kurt Angle match/feud brought up a few posts earlier.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The WWE releases last week got me wondering, is Enzo Amore the only WWE wrestler ever released while holding a title?

Closest I could think of was Madusa going to Nitro or various injury scenarios, but those obviously aren't "releases" per se.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Karma Tornado posted:

Cody and Ted DiBiase were mystery opponents for Cody and Bob Holly, if I remember right, so sort of
Yes Cody turned heel, joined forces with Ted Jr., and beat Bob Holly in what became a handicap match. Thus technically losing the tag titles to himself.

Not quite what the OP was asking but a funny little footnote for sure. Hard to believe Russo was nowhere near it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What did the announce team do when Nash tore his quad on RAW?
it was in like an 8-man tag match so relatively easy to cover up for, I just saw a vid where JR mumbles something about a leg and they mostly gloss over it and move on IIRC

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Ganso Bomb posted:

I feel like even as a kid, I knew Golga was Earthquake/Tenta. Was it ever referenced on commentary? I was on the internet and maybe still RSPW if it was still around then, so maybe I just knew it from that + other newz sites of the time but it didn't feel like a well-kept secret.
Considering the era it's honestly surprising we didn't get a worked-shoot Golga unmasking promo at some point. You can almost guarantee that would've happened if he had been around for another 6 months.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Beth Phoenix got a 2-0 win over Candice Michelle after Candice had a terrifying botch and they called an audible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5d6PQgHKxg&t=420s

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The funny thing with the Owen/Austin piledriver is that Owen/Bret did the same sequence at Wrestlemania X, but with a regular tombstone. Benoit/Bret also did it on Nitro, and I'm pretty sure I saw a clip from an old Stampede match with that spot as well (possibly with Davey Boy?).

Of note is that the only one of these instances that also featured Undertaker on the card was Summer Slam '97. So I've always suspected that Owen specifically adjusted the spot with that in mind, considering how weird WWE gets about sharing trademark moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Even without the insane controlling whims of a Vince-like figure, a good color guy should speak within certain parameters. Like wrestler X is on this level of the card feuding with wrestler Y and/or Z; here's where a storyline is at and here's where it's probably going, etc. It's probably a challenge to stick to that in the booth and not end up producing rambling wild speculation that doesn't get anyone over in the long run.

Note: insipid/inspired Taz commentary is exempt from this