Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The old thread is almost certainly the oldest thread I still followed on SA. It's a little sad to see it end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

bladeworksmaster posted:

Was Summerslam the big circlejerk match those two had, or am I thinking of another match? I swear there was one him and HBK had around that time which was a total slog.

Nah that was Bad Blood in a Hell in a Cell. HHH Epic at its worst.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I would say that submissions are heel coded by default. Yes, faces do submissions and some of them are more associated with face wrestlers, and I would also say that in lucha libre, submission wrestling is not quite as heel coded, but, in the end, even when a face does a submission hold ,there is a certain amount of aggressive intent to harm involved that can often draw some boos.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

I'd disagree, possibly down to the wrestler I most associated with submissions as a kid was Bret, and he was basically THE good guy in WWF at the time. And then Jericho was my favourite for a long time in the early 00s and he was often a face.

And, obviously, John Cena (yes, his STF is bad, but he still does it), and Bryan Danielson.

I think maybe I could amend my statement having thought about it a bit and taking this into account. I would say that submissions get more heelish the longer they are held. A heel should tap almost immediately to a face submission hold. This brings me to Bryan Danielson, who in AEW, face or heel, has always had the most heelish submissions regardless. Bryan Danielson murders people in an uncomfortable way, no matter whether you are supposed to cheer him today or not, but that is of course why I love the man.