Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

fatherofmustard posted:

Shut Your Mouth was good.

As somebody who: both plays video games for story, and has always wanted to be a wrestler, Shut Your Mouth is the best wrestling game I've ever played.The storyline is incredibly long and has a lot of options on what you can do. I noticed a lot of games after SYM were very short and very linear and I hated it because they wouldn't let me be a Heel.

Granted, I haven't played a wrestling game since 2007.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So there are a few places I could get every episode of ECW Hardcore TV but what about supercards or PPV's? Those seem harder to come by and I dunno if I'd be missing a lot.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Why does the WWF/WWE make heels win King of the Ring? All the ones I can think of - Mabel, Austin, Booker and now Corbin - were bad guys. You don't want bad guys to win big tournaments. It leaves the crowd blue balled, basically.

Naturally Austin went on to be the most over face of all time. Then again, he's the only one there who didn't incorporate the King part into his gimmick. Maybe that's the key.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Shine posted:

Chris Benoit's diving headbutt was so stupid. He'd be like *throat cut gesture* and then jump on the guy and then roll around like "OH MY GOD WHY DID I DO THAT" and then cover the guy and he kicks out.

Does anybody have the gif handy?
Random question:

What is the difference between RVD's Five Star Frog Splash and a regular one? I seem to remember he always clutched at his stomach or something after doing it too, at least in the video games so I guess it even hurts him more?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

How big a name was Kevin Sullivan once upon a time? I always hear his name come up when discussing WCW. He always seemed to be wrestling top guys or in a prime position backstage., But in an older Retro Nitro I just listened to they mentioned he is now wrestling in front of 12 people. That's the most I've heard about him since the death of WCW.

Seems like quite a fall.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Which tag teams had equally good members?

It's like, I've heard Dynamite was way better than Davey, I know Bret was way better than Jim, Shawn was way better than Marty and right now I'm listening to Retro Nitros where Vinny said Robert Gibson and Scotty Riggs were the lesser halves of their tag teams.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I got two random little questions:

1. What is Raven's accent? I know it's just his regular real life accent, I just don't know what it is and it's so thick I always notice it.

2. How legitimately impressive are power moves? Think the hanging vertical suplex or press slam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TvytrosXRI

How much of this is the strength of the lifter and how much is just the other wrestler jumping or holding themselves up?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is Waltman actually bigger than Michaels, especially in their prime? He was always thought of as the little guy of the group but I'm not so sure.

Nash has apparently insisted that Shawn was over 6 feet tall, possibly to justify his heightism for being a star, but nobody else seems to believe that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Why didn't Ken Shamrock take off more in WWF? Everybody knows him and he certainly had presence as a character and in the ring He wouldn't have been top guy with Rock and Austin there but he wasn't even a main eventer or a sort of main eventer.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I can't see very good which is part of why pro wrestling has never lost its magi to me. Everything looks like it hurts as much as it appears to hurt, I don't see the trick behind a lot of the moves.

But what I'm curious about is, with all the re-evaluation of chairshots to the head that has happened since the Attitude Era, is Edge and Christian's con-chair-to as bad as it looks?
;

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Who are some of the "loudest" sellers?

I can't say if he's the best but I always remember how vocal of a performer Lex Luger ws. I know it's him from his very distinct grunts of pain.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sorry I got another question.

I guess it shouldn't surprise me but the flying elbow is apparently a very dangerous move and I recall hearing a big name really hurt somebody with it once. Was it Savage? I don't think it was Shawn and those are the only two I know of who used the top rope elbow. I just remember hearing somebody got something crushed or caved in. Not a whole lot go go on, sorry.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

On the topic of Jericho's moveset, I totally forgot he used to do a double powerbomb. Why in the world did he do that? He has several books, right? Does he ever got into why he, a pretty tiny cruiserweight-y dude, used such a blatant power move?

Slamming somebody down and lifting them up with obvious effort is the kinda thing I'd expect to see out of guys with 100 pounds more muscle than Chris Jericho.

Maybe he's like Bret Hart and deceptively strong, I dunno.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Were all of Davey Boy's best matches with Bret?

Of course there's their bout at SS '92 but one of the earliest wrestling matches I can vividly remember is his match with Bret at In Your House 5. I can't find reviews for the PPV but Dave apparently gave this match 4.5 stars. That seems like very good praise and I liked it a lot upon a re-watch.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

What would people say is the most famous/iconic face turn in wrestling history?

Do returns count?

Triple H has made his career on being a heel, especially in 2000-2001 but his return in 2002 was loving amazing and everybody loved him and welcomed him back as the greatest hero ever.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Which wrestlers had the best mullets in wrestling history? The longer they had it the higher their ranking should be, I think.

I'm biased but I really wanna say it was early 90s HBK. Just looking at some old clips and he rocked that thing like nobody's business.

Speaking of early 90s HBK, do any female managers even come close to Sherri? I can't remember a one that was anything but a pretty face. Sherri was a true manager and excellent at her job.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 6, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Which Hart brother is it that is supposedly the extremely unpleasant, bitter and jealous one?

Is any of that true or has the Internet just played it up over my years online?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

As I continue my way through Retro Raw and Nitro, I askd previously about taping your fist and why that would hurt more. Somebody answered. But Bryan was always incensed about if taping your fist was illegal or not.

What about "loading your boot?" Is that illegal? And what exactly does that mean? Something about shifting a part of the boot around?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Who is the shortest wrestler to do the "step over the top rope" entrance?

It seems like something only the exceptionally tall wrestlers do but I'm not sure if that's just their gimmick to emphasize how tall they are or if only really tall wrestlers can actually manage it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This question is a bit more niche but for fans of F4WOnline, how were Bryan, Vinny or Craig as wrestlers? What about this Buddy Wayne? I've never watched Indie stuff but I am going through their Retro shows and I just got the one that was mostly a Buddy Wayne tribute from 3 years ago when he passed away and it moved me enough to want to look up his matches with Bryan.

I think it must be Wayne in some of the matches I found on YT but they were 2 minute squashes where Edge and Bam Bam killed him without him really doing anything. Then again, if listening to F4W has taught me anything, a wrestler managing to not gently caress anything up aka "doing nothing" is a rare talent.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Were super hard chairshots or other weapon shots to the head a product of the 90s or have they always been a problem in wrestling?

Still going through Retro shows and they note how Sgt. Slaughter, an old school vet, did the softest chairshot imaginable while everyone else on this '98 Raw was trying to kill each other with chairs, swinging as hard as they possibly could.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I would guess everybody asked this in the Rumble thread but I forgot the Rumble was last night an dam just listening to Dave and Bryan's recap.

What the heck, Edge can wrestle again? I though it was a case of if he took any more bumps, he could die or get paralyzed. Can stuff like that heal or change after some time?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sorry, a couple more "medical questions."

Bryan or Vinny said Rock in '98-99 wearing the tracksuit was to cover up surgery? I never heard anything about that. Surgery for what?

DDP can't wrestle any more because of his neck or spine? I never knew he was no longer cleared, I just thought he got too old and retired.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

DDP wrestled like two weeks ago including a spot where he did a dive from the top turnbuckle to the outside.

Really? I asked about him because I just saw Bryan talking about Edge's condition and said there was no way WWE would ever let DDP or Austin take bumps again. He used them as a contrast with Edge to show Edge must be in better shape while those two would never be cleared for anything.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

AlmightyPants posted:

They're talking about Paige, not Diamond Dallas Page. Paige's back/neck is totally hosed up, she knew even when she was active that she wasn't going to have a long run because of scoliosis I think?

Oh that makes more sense. I don't know that much about the lady so I forgot she existed.

My bad.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is The Sandman a truly bad wrestler or just a lovably sloppy wrestler?

Everybody I know of loves the guy but the "smarks" treat it more as a guilty pleasure. I think I've seen folks on here even say he's their favorite bad wrestler.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

in the Retro shows Bryan talks about how Mick Foley's body was falling apart in frickin' 1999. He uses it to criticze indie guys who kill themselves so that, by the time they make the big bucks, they can't even go anymore.

Wasn't Foley wrestling people like Vader and Funk in big time promotions? He was a big name before WWF I thought.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So what happened to Test? Did they have big main event plans for him during the Stephanie stuff? He was feuding with the top heels in the company but then he just...fades away even though he had a lot of babyface sympathy after she turned.

He seemed like a guy the company had a lot of faith in. Shortly after being brought in he does a big angle with the McMahons and then he's pretty prominent in the mid-card for the next three years. He had a good look and a killer finisher once he started using the Running Big Boot. But he eventually went to TNA from what I heard. Last thing I remember with him was the feud with Scott Steiner.

I had no idea he had a load of concussions. I knew he was dead but didn't know how. I don't recall him being a hardcore guy but I guess you can get concussions from anything in this sport, especially if you were in the WWF of the late 90s/early 2000s. I'm sadder about him ding now.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 11, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Randaconda posted:

Trips stole Stephanie and he never got revenge, then the normal lovely booking happened. He could have been a solid upper midcarder, probably, maybe headlining a B-ppv every now and then.

And Kane never got revenge for X-Pac stealing Tori, right? Trips steals Steph and she turns heel and X-Pac steals Tori and she turns heel. And both Test and Kane are left looking like total losers.

Kane survived 'cuz he's Kane. Big Show, too. Pretty sure he loses the WWF Title in ignoble fashion and is just forgotten but he obviously stays as a fixture of WWE. And then Test is just left by the wayside to kinda do okay in the midcard for a few years.

I remember liking the McMahon Helmsley era when I was younger. I was dumb.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I've heard that Brain was not especially keen on Tony as a person, especially after Tony shot down the idea of doing a tribute to Gorilla Monsoon on Nitro? Tony could play off of Brain, but he often seemed a bit reluctant or even outright snide about it, perhaps due to his own disillusionment with WCW. That might have played a part in Brain not bothering anymore, but in general I feel like it was just that WCW didn't care, so why should he? If he can get drunk on live TV with no repercussions, then why not?

I mean, the people in charge were doing that for years before WCW actually became unbearable so why not.

And they weren't alone. I dunno about Vince ever being on anything on TV but Shawn and others definitely were.

My weird minor gripe with WCW is the refereeing. I dunno what it is, they just don't seem to "count right' in my mind. I was raised on WWF and maybe it's all in my mind but WCW counts were never dramatic enough.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

If I ask "why" are you going to tell me some horrible thing about Gorilla Monsoon that's going to ruin him for me forever?

https://whatculture.com/wwe/18-wwe-easter-eggs-references-and-in-jokes-you-never-noticed?page=10

Apparently it could have just been a bad joke about him being gay, the kind of thing JR did to Patterson as late as at least 1999.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

My understanding is that Reigns was over and was talented but was pushed too hard and fast. He sounds a lot like Diesel in 1995. We all know Kevin Nash can be a popular star but not in the way Vince booked him. Vince seems to have one idea for his Top Guy and he wants to force everyone into it, even if it prevents the would-be Top Guy from getting over like they should.

Speaking of Roman, I've always wondered about how many women like wrestling. I'm told it's rather high. Bryan in a Retro show from early last year talks about how you don't hear the women screaming for the male stars like they used to every time Jeff Hardy took off his shirt. Roman seemed to be the last big female draw but hen he got sick for a good while and the women stopped screaming.

His theory was that women come to see studly men and not because of the women's revolution. I wonder if there's any way to confirm this.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 14, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Was Vampiro actually untrained? I think he just got over while he was really green and never got good.

Bryan says Vampiro told him or said somewhere that he never learned to take a "flat back bump."

That was apparently a big problem for him. They roll a lot in lucha instead I think he mentioned?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think I'm finally gonna get into ECW. I never saw any of it back in the day and have always been curious.

Bryan and Vinny talk about how Mike Awesome was made to look super short next to people like Nash. His kayfabe height was 6'6 apparently but he was nowhere near that. Does anybody know how tall he was legit? Is there like a big list of wrestlers' real heights out there anywhere?

Awesome was ECW Champion. So was Bam Bam, right? Was being ECW World Champion a notable thing? Bam Bam Bigalow has to be one of the bigger names to never have world titles in WWF or WCW but maybe a world title in another promotion is still something.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Can I just urge you that, if you're going to go throw ECW TV try to find rips of the originals rather than the dubbed mess that is the WWE Network versions and the music ECW used was a big part of their presentation and I think it hurts a rewatch to not have Misirlou playing over the Pulp Fiction promos (does the Network even have the Pulp Fiction promos? I forget), and there's no real point to The Sandman without Enter Sandman. Obviously it's :filez: so I can't just link you to stuff but I do think that the presentation is such a big part of ECW's feel & success that you need to try experience it fully if at all possible. Blows that music licensing fucks with the Network versions so much.

And yeah, Awesome was probably more like 6'3 from what I understand. By no measure a short dude but it's wrestling. The thing to remember about ECW (especially if you start from the first episodes of their TV) is that it's a north-eastern indie. Yeah, it was trying to be more than that at the end but it's an indie with weekly local TV that focused on running in Philly & the Delaware Valley area and used a lot of the talent other north-eastern indies would use. Prepare yourself for some Tony Stetson & Larry Winters & Tommy Cairo. For some Stevie Wonderful & Jay Sully on commentary. So just go in with appropriate expectations, this is a decade before workrate indies were a thing but the TV is fun to watch. There is so much to say for 1 hour weekly TV in wrestling, even if it's not great it's still so much easier & more pleasant to sit through and thus easier to focus on the positives, because the negatives aren't eating up the best part of 3 hours of your night.

Oh yeah, and prepare for walk & brawls. That part of ECW's reputation is definitely earned, there were so many walk & brawls. But I do recommend people watch ECW TV who haven't. It was far from perfect but it's fun.

MorrisBae posted:

Watch Hardcore TV from the beginning of 1995 through to Barely Legal in 1997

That's all golden and you'll see Raven's entire first run

Raven is definitely a bit attraction for me. I've always liked him but I saw him in WCW. Apparently his ECW stuff is the real deal and I wanna check it out from start to finish.

I was thinking of starting with Hardcore TV 1994, though and going to the end. I understand it becomes worse later on but I'm curious to see the whole deal. It'll take a while to get through it all of course and I gotta try and look into how to get the supercards or if they are even worth tracking down.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So everybody warns me about ECW on the Network but what about the classic tape libraries from places like WCCW? Were those ruined?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

David Arquette is another gimme.

Wouldn't every single title reign in 2000 in WCW be a candidate for worst title reign ever? Oklahoma was Cruiserweight Champion.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I thought Austin was a bigger draw than Hogan? I used to be a huge Hogan mark and was told a lot that Austin was the actual biggest star in WWF/E history.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 16, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Could Rey Mysterio Jr. count as a GOAT? The guy overcame all the odds to be a legend in this business and all over the world.

And if we're talking influence I would imagine his success helped a lot of others who didn't have the traditional wrestling look get into the business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hirez posted:

Godfather was a face at some point right? As a pimp with a ho train, I don't know how but knowing the attitude era he was prolly over as hell as a Pimp.

I'm pretty sure a pimp could always get over in any time or promotion. They're out there with a bunch of sexy women.

I watched the Hardy Boys and Lita vs. T&A and Trish from Fully Loaded 2000 the other day and was like "of course they don't boo Trish. She might be a heel but she also has huge boobs." And sure enough the crowd just chanted about "we want puppies!" for most of it. But then at the end I was impressed they got genuine heat on Trish for her whipping Lita.

It just made me wonder how the audience changed over the last twenty years. You can't force these things as seen with folks like Roman. And yet when was the last time there was a crowd chant for puppies? So obviously things have changed substantially.