Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Maigius posted:

What happened at the '98 Survivor series?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klUv8q21kFY

This is a pretty good summary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tato posted:

Does anyone know exactly what The Heartthrobs did on WWE Byte This that got them immediately shitcanned and pretty much cancelled the show?

So many weird internet exclusive 2000-2010 things that just fell down the memory hole. I remember Tax and Cole got an internet show where they used a bunch of curse words and raged against people who said Smackdown was inferior to RAW.

I googled out of curiosity because I remember that happening but totally forgot why and all the other insanity that happened with the show...

quote:

On the July 13, 2005 episode, Lita was an in-studio guest and Matt Hardy called in. This was an interesting show to say the least, as it was at the peak of their on-screen drama. Lita eventually got fed up and walked off the show. Despite Hardy constantly advertising his appearance in Ring Of Honor later that week, (later edited from the archived broadcast) some who watched the webcast that night believe the whole situation was a work.

On September 28, 2005, when The Ultimate Warrior was asked to come on Byte This!, he refused, issuing a paragraph-long statement, calling Todd Grisham a "queer", and frequent contributor Droz (who was left a paraplegic by a wrestling accident) a "cripple." This led to Matt Striker coming on to Byte This! and doing a less-than-flattering impression of Warrior, including numerous references to steroids. He, Grisham, and Droz had several jokes at Warrior's expense, resulting in an edited version to be released on WWE.com days later that takes a more light-hearted approach.

On November 9, 2005, Michael Cole and Tazz unexpectedly appeared on Byte This! and aired their grievances with WWE on the air, specifically discussing the supposed company perception that favors RAW over Smackdown. In addition, they talked about how RAW's announcers and other personnel have commentary forums on WWE.com, yet somehow they do not. Michael Cole also made a remark concerning WWE "repeating storylines" directly on the air. Tazz froze for a minute then pointed an "air" rifle and shot Cole. They promised some future changes to WWE.com and proceeded to storm off the set. When Grisham tried to deal with it in a non-serious way, they came back on-camera emphasizing that it was not a "storyline" or "work", then left again, vowing to "take this to Vince and Kevin Dunn" if they had to. This segment was edited from the archived version of the episode on WWE.com.

In December 2005 and January 2006, Byte This! came under attack through its live caller system. Each week, at least one person called in to make some reference to the wrestling promotion Total Nonstop Action Wrestling. The remarks themselves were varied, ranging from "TNA is better than WWE" to "Todd, you dodge TNA questions just like you dodge the women." Grisham responded to the criticisms by referring to the callers as "retards" or something similar and subsquently hanging up on them. One notable response made by Grisham came during an episode late in 2005 in which he told a TNA caller to "call up TNA's show, it airs at 4:00 AM in...Japan" (in reference to the late night timeslot of TNA's flagship TV show, TNA iMPACT!). Surprisingly, even WWE mainstay Mick Foley got in on the joke by telling Todd that his children were watching TV and that there were horrendous things that he saw, before he said, "Oh wait, it's just TNA!"

The Wednesday February 8th 2006 webcast of Byte This! was a very controversial one, however was not the final episode despite much speculation. The show featured a guest appearance from The Heart Throbs. The Heart Throbs went off topic in their segment, making sexual references and at one point stripping Todd Grisham of his clothing, among other things. WWE management immediately released the Heart Throbs, though claimed they were not released specifically for their appearance on Byte This. There is also a theory that the first caller from this show had something to do with the removal of the episode. The first caller was David from California that asked the question," ...Who will win the Fatal Four way and challenge that ------ Booker T..." The caller was hung up and the show went on. This might be another reason that the show was removed, however this reason could be doubtful as Byte This is heavily edited for language when it is archived. The producer of the show was not fired, despite many reports claiming the opposite. The show featuring the Heart Throbs was never archived, and a show was never produced the following week. Two weeks later Byte This! was removed entirely from WWE.com along with all of it's archived episodes, although the archive has since returned. The last archived show is currently Rob Van Dam from 1st February 2006. Byte This will return as part of WWE.com'sanding digital services.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
He never told his brother Geno about the guy he murdered 'cause his brother Geno would have killed the guy he had already murdered and he didn't want his brother going to jail.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Insert a Name Here posted:

So, Kayfabe is sort of like strong bad from homestar runner saying "fqwdads" or Bart Simpsons saying "qwijibo" It's gibberish that means "dont drop your act, in the act."

Interesting post. Can't remember which one but there's a wrestling bio which explains it as the word "fake" run through one of the old carny word generators. Modern wrestlers would just say "fizzake" for example, so it's not exactly gibberish.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
What's the background to Cody's "gently caress on you" soundbite?

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
It's the opposite of a sunnersault, duh.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Who started using the Sharpshooter / Scorpion Deathlock first out of Sting and Hart, and was the second guy ripping on the first or was it just coincidence?

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

britishbornandbread posted:

Has there been a match where the two competitors facing one another have come out separately but to the same theme music? Shane v Vince at WM17?

Fenix vs Pentagon, mexi-kings met in the ring.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Most opinions I heard back when the original brand split happened were derisively assuming they were trying to create a false division so they could redo both the feel of the Monday Night Wars and an eventual Invasion angle, because they'd realised how badly they'd hosed up and wouldn't do it again.

lol

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Didn't Bullet Bob Armstrong and Road Dogg win the tag titles in TNA/Impact at some point?

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Kennel posted:

Would Batista count? IIRC He was basically a standard big muscle bodyguard without personality until he turned against HHH.

Not really struggling, but guys in that kind of role tend to disappear after 6-12 months and at least to me it felt like he jumped from meh to Top Star in a couple of weeks.

A lot of that was because they were pushing for the very green and very unlikeable Randy Orton to be the foil to Triple H out of the Evolution split and Batista was just in the background being effortlessly cool while Orton was being a tryhard dork week after week. The fans latched on to him in desperation to avoid face Orton vs HHH at Wrestlemania and we wound up with the Batista instant mega-push because they actually listened to the fans and didn't try to punish him for getting over. What a thought.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Admiral Joeslop posted:

When someone asks about solid, safe, and reliable hands in the ring, a few names come to mind; Chris Jericho, Bret Hart, Ric Flair, etc.

Have any of them, or any other generally safe wrestler, ever botched so badly they injured someone else or ruined a match? I feel like every botch I've heard involving Bret was either injuring himself or it was the other person's fault.

Chris Benoit got the Crippler nickname because he accidentally broke Sabu's neck in a match.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Edge & Christian posted:

Then after a month of feuding for the soul of Gangrel, Gangrel is booked in a Deadly Games qualifying match against Gangrel. Gangrel tries to interfere on behalf of Gangrel, Gangrel kicks both their asses and beats Gangrel, but then Gangrel comes in and attacks Gangrel to reunite with his brother. Gangrel fights all three of them off and they run away. And then they were just blood loving fanged gothic lifestyle aficionados for awhile.

Gangrel.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
It seems like anyone in AEW can have the opportunity for a Dynamite main event, a memorable feud or signature match, something for the highlights reels, and even lower card guys are treated respectfully and generally get to have strong win-loss records thanks to Dark/Elevation, so unless you're fixated on title belts I don't know how much this idea of getting a spot at the "top of the card" really holds. Wrestlers like Sonny Kiss and Joey Janela might be getting less screentime on Dynamite than they otherwise would with all these new names coming in but at the same time they're still doing indy shows where their AEW exposure is growing their fanbase.

And the fact that a guy who main evented Wrestlemania a few months ago is apparently on his way is pretty drat huge. The message that sends is not "Danielson is coming to take my spot", it's "being at the top of the card in the WWE is worthless".

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
I don't think anyone looks back at it as "great", but the Fingerpoke of Doom was turned into a wrestlecrap moment once WCW started its decline as if it was the first snowball in an avalanche, but ratings analysis showed that it didn't have any real immediate effect. It was just a convenient milestone that the IWC latched onto.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

edogawa rando posted:

Yeah, his big promo when he returned as Unkillable Matt Hardy needs to be seen to be believed. "Ah hope yew and yore chawldren dah in a car accident y'all. Bawss Hawgg y'all."

The loving state of your promo, mate.

"Adam, yew ruined mah chances of evuh having a famuhly!" - actual quote from man who was apparently castrated by Edge???

Also, referring to Adam "The Feces" Copeland like he had delivered the sickest burn imaginable.

I'm still in shock to this day that Matt turned things around and became the character(s) he has since those dark times. Kudos to you Matt Hardy, kudos.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
What is the most extreme example of a wrestler improving solely as an in-ring performer? I'm not talking about how Britt Baker reinvented herself as a heel and left her face persona in the dust, but someone who was a mediocre wrestler who became a five star technical wizard or otherwise amazing. It seems like a lot of the top tier talent have been like that from very early on in their careers, and most of the ways wrestlers improve over time is with their character work or little nuances in the ring.

What got me thinking was Serena Deeb. I don't know too much about her overall career but I remember in WWE she didn't stand out at all but in AEW she's this absolute machine. Did she get crazy good in between or was she always like that and it was just WWE stifling her back in the day?

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Kevino07 posted:

I feel like that almost every wrestler who starts with a prominent national company young or early will show dramatic improvement if they don’t wash out simply through working with talented and experienced wrestlers. The Rock improved rapidly after a year for example and John Cena was awful in ring in his first year.

I don't mean just "got better through experience". I mean, "was capable of putting on five star matches that didn't rely on smoke and mirrors or over the top character work", you know what I mean?

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Nigel McGuinness was featured on 20/20 in his first match and as you might expect completely sucked. But he was bad for several years, upgraded to boring, and then in 2006 went from boring to maybe the best wrestler on the planet in a space of a few months.

Thank you, that's exactly what I was after. I only ever saw him from 2006 onwards and had no idea about his back story.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Does a draw count as a successful title defence? He's still got the title, and he didn't lose the match. I need to know for statistical purposes.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Thank you!

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Sabu and RVD vs Jinsei Shinzaki and Hayabusa from Heatwave '98 is one of my all-time favourites but I don't know how well it would hold up to someone watching it for the first time now.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
I don't think any wrestler has integrated botching into his actual character as successfully as Sabu did.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
"The Widowmaker" Barry Windham. Cool look, cool name, cool finishing move. My wrestling buddy and I only ever saw one (?) match of his in the few months he was around but that didn't stop us fantasy-booking him into everything wrestling-related we did for years afterwards. It wasn't until he came back as the Stalker that the illusion was finally shattered.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Lamuella posted:

What examples are there in WWE of poorly received booking that "played out" into something actually good?

Some of their midcard stuff in the mid 2000's turned out OK after starting badly - Mr Kennedy (says his name twice, WTF?) and Carlito Caribbean Cool (spits an apple, WTF?) but they stuck with the characters and people really got into them. You know, before the poo poo hit the fan with both due to their respective issues. Finlay is another one who debuted to groans and turned out to be a really entertaining crazy old man with a feral leprechaun.

Of course this was all in the midst of the Tatanka and Road Warrior Animal returns, Shelton's mama, Chris Masters and his pointless 10 minute heat segments, etc. etc. so it's not like you can point to the few rare examples of things working and say they knew what they were doing.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
How do interim title reigns work in UFC? If AEW follows the same logic is Sammy Guevara a two time TNT champion now? If he beats Cody in the unification match is he a three time champ or still two? Or does the interim title exist in its own universe, separate to the actual TNT lineage?

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Thauros posted:

not a mononym but i was talking about this with a friend and we were having trouble finding an example predating TAKA Michinoku for a guy using all caps romaji for part of his ring name. in japanese the michinoku part is written in hiragana if anyone didn't know and was curious (TAKAみちのく).

I think I remember JADO and GEDO being billed like that in the mid 90s, and when I was in Japan someone told me the all caps romaji was to denote heels originally but by the early 00's it was just done to look cool.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
When I first started watching TNA in that weird pre-Spike period there were consecutive episodes of Impact with Jarrett doing lengthy heel promos in the ring, the first week he said he was going to "break [someone]'s freaking neck" (which was Kurt Angle's catchphrase at the time) and the next week he said he was a "wrestling god" (which was JBL's catchphrase at the time). Like he was some bottom-tier indy guy trying to get heat by directly aping something he'd seen on the real wrestling shows, which is exactly the perception I have of Jeff Jarrett as a wrestler.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Defenestrategy posted:

Has there been a time where thrown together single stars lose to an established tag team cleanly without shenanigans? For example HBK/Austin, Omega/Hangman, Rock/Mankind. I cant think of a time off hand, but it seems like everytime it doesnt happens it kinda buries the rest of the tag division as not only are these people not good enough to see success by themselves, their supposed expertise and familiarity with the rules doesnt matter as well.

Didn't the Young Bucks beat a few thrown together singles guys reasonably cleanly during their title run? MJF & Jericho, Moxley & Kingston, PAC & Penta? I don't remember how "clean" they were but the story of the matches was usually that despite how good the singles guys were they just couldn't hang with an established tag team on the level of the Bucks.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Has there been a working relationship between a major Japanese promotion and WWE, WCW, TNA or ROH where the American one hasn't screwed them over, or tried to, at some point?

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Manwithastick posted:

In your opinion, what is keeping AEW from doing better in the ratings?

Many of the storylines feel like they are missing some connective tissue that would help them feel like you have to watch on a weekly basis to see what's going to happen next. You look at episodes of Raw or Nitro from the Monday Night Wars and the best ones had this chaotic energy where anything could and often did happen. Whereas in AEW, most of the matches will have a foregone conclusion and most of the stuff in between matches is Tony Schiavone interviewing someone who gets interrupted, or someone is jumped backstage, or people stand in a ring and fire verbal insults at each other. (Often you can go a week or more without any progression on an angle at all until suddenly a match pops up seemingly out of nowhere). There is nothing inherently wrong with any of that, but it can give the shows a feeling of sameness - like it's great TV, but it's not must watch TV, you know what I mean? I'd like to see it have more of an episodic feel, like the Wardlow-MJF storyline, that has been fantastic so far and is the exception that proves the rule in my opinion.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

flatluigi posted:

honestly i just fundamentally disagree that being able to predict how a match is going to end or even see where storylines are going in general is a bad thing?

I mean, I literally said it's not inherently a bad thing. I've been watching wrestling since the 80s and AEW is by far and away the best wrestling promotion I've ever seen. But is it perfect? No. Could it be better? Yes. I've said it before, I think Tony Khan is an absolute wrestling genius for the way he can see big picture storylines and work towards them over a significant length of time. But he needs someone to help him flesh that stuff out along the way, or stop that sense of recycled ideas and give a bit more life to the roster. Britt Baker is a good example, she got herself over massively and was destined to win the women's title, but as soon as she did her booking just went into this weird modern-day Honky Tonk Man dead zone which took away the part of her character that people had really latched on to.

All I was really trying to say was that AEW's booking style doesn't create a sense that you've got to watch every episode. Death Triangle are my favourite faction, but they're just biding time until their PPV blow-off match with House of Black right now. I'm not looking forward to this coming Dynamite to find out what happens next in their feud because the odds are it'll be House of Black cutting a promo backstage that gets interrupted with a brawl. The week after that HoB will get the upper hand with mind games (i.e. the lights will go out then they will beat them up) following a Death Triangle victory over, say, Bear Country and Serpentico. Then we'll get to the PPV blow-off and it will be an insane match with a bunch of MOTY nominations that I will love. But the story beats along the way are going to tread the same ground as a good chunk of AEW's storylines. Again in and of itself this isn't a bad thing. The moments will be enjoyable and it won't be bad television like when you try to watch WWE and your eyeballs bleed out of your skull from the eldritch horror of their booking, but it's not must-watch TV. Am I making sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Austin’s theme was a hard rock version of Razor Ramon’s theme, which itself was just a rip off of the Eagles “Those Shoes”.

I always thought Austin's theme was influenced by Korn's Blind but that trajectory is spot on.