Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

I’m going to Kyoto and Osaka in mid January 2020 from the 13th to the 24th, is there any way to see if there are any pro wrestling shows happening in that area between those dates?

If you get a chance to catch a show in KBS Hall, Kyoto I highly recommend it. Wrestling with a stained glass window backdrop is very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Who do you guys think was the best OVW Booker? When it was a development territory. Why did it fail where NXT succeeded?

As a developmental territory it turned out John Cena, Randy Orton, Brock Lesnar and Batista. Off those four names alone I'd say it succeeded as a development territory far more than NXT ever has. If you're asking why it didn't succeed in becoming a third brand, it's because it didn't have the benefit of being available to watch for most of the country or frequent injections of indie names to put on fantastic matches. It was always treated as a development territory and not a third brand like NXT.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

The UK scene on cagematch is pretty good because I went to a ton of shows that are listed on cagematch and only one I can't find.

The owners are Germans who frequently go to Britwres so that makes sense

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Has there been a worse top babyface in WWE than Seth fr*cking Rollins?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

I really don't know where to put this but this seems to be the best place for it (I'd put this in the best/worst matches thread but it isn't exactly talking about an actual match), but does anyone use the GRAPPL app? I like the concept of listing and rating the matches you've seen but the interface leaves a lot to be desired (can't search matches very well, have to trawl down a list of shows per promotion, etc). Are there any good alternatives?

Cagematch I guess but there's no app.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

It is real media, the guy Naito often makes fun of writes for Tokyo Sports (I think) and they're old friends.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Thanks for the responses to my game question, everyone!

Here's another:

Recently Emi Sakura and Jericho talked about sharing a mentor in Kodo Fuyuki. It got me interested in looking up who trained who, which often comes up in NJPW English commentary. Who are the most prolific (and successful) trainers in pro-wrestling, east and west?

It's harder to say in Japan because with the way the dojo system works means a lot of the veterans are chipping in. You do get certain wrestlers taking a closer interest in certain rookies though (I know for example Nagata worked a lot with Fale and Oka, or Naito was a mentor for Hiromu and YOH).

Outside of the big companies with dojos I'd say Chigusa Nagayo, TAKA Michinoku, Meiko Satomura and Tajiri are probably turning out the best talent that go onto good things.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

this omits how he buried Moxley for leaving which imo was a big turning point for a lot of people

Especially because Moxley was very open and honest about suffering from depression in WWE and Seth Rollins came out with some bullshit about how Moxley couldn't cut it with the big boys and took his ball and went home and poo poo like that.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pollyanna who used to be in PROGRESS came forward with a story about being sexually assaulted by Ospreay's friend Scotty Wainwright. Ospreay posted something along the lines of "It's disgusting how people can come on here and say they were sexually assaulted".

That was probably the worst. The rest is just general being dumb as hell.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Ok my question is: what did Juice do that resulted in him deleting Twitter?

Nothing, he did it pre-emptively because he thought he might end up saying something stupid.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

YMZ have their shows in what I think must be a renovated house because it's in the middle of a quiet renovated neighbourhood. The ceiling is so low they can't do high spots (but did a spot last week where a wrestler tried to jump of all four ring posts only to get frustrated about the low ceiling). They also did a ladder match where Isami Kodaka just walked up and snatched the towel hanging from the ceiling.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

What does everyone think the Wrestlemania main event for 2020 will be?

Can anybody predict the main event of night 2 at Wrestle Kingdom? We could theoretically have Okada v White, Okada v Naito, Ibushi v White, Ibushi v Naito.

Okada vs. Naito is the most common assumption.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I wanna get a month of Stardom World. Is there anything particular I oughtta seek out on it?

Mayu Iwatani vs. Io Shirai from December 22nd 2016 is the match that got me into joshi

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t really understand the hype behind Kenny Omega. I get that he’s a good technical wrestler, and I liked his match with Okada (also I know about his whole thing with Ibushi), but most of my exposure to him is via AEW, where he seems very much on par with other wrestlers and isn’t like wow amazing or anything. Can I get an explanation of why he’s so significant?

In NJPW he was working against some of the very best wrestlers in the world and regularly getting to out on great matches with the likes of Okada, Naito, Ishii, Yano etc. He doesn't really have opponents on that level in AEW. The best wrestler that they have for his type of match is Shida and I'm pretty sure that isn't happening.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

anakha posted:

Someone like ZSJ might be able to wrestle into his senior years given his style. gently caress impact finishers, just tie your opponent into a pretzel.

Yoshiaki Fujiwara still going strong at 70 so undoubtedly.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Marvelous is loving great. I have no idea what Shien is and Shooto is shoot fighting. I'd go with Marvelous.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

flatluigi posted:

Aubrey is proof that refs can genuinely help tell matches instead of being interchangeable nobodies and that's a very good thing

Nikkan Lee is really good at injecting emotion into the matches she referees with subtle facial expressions. Shuji Ishikawa vs. The Bodyguard from Champion Carnival a few years back where Bodyguard was injured told a really good story for a three minute match where the whole story was told by Bodyguard limping to the ring, Lee's facial expressions and a resigned Shuji squashing him.

She's a huge contrast from AJPW's other ref Kyohei Wada who is very much a "character" referee, and there's only so many times you can see him pulling Kento's hair and yelling in his face. (He was a perfect choice for the first Taichi/Naito match where his bullshit fit their bullshit though)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

(Parts of?) next week's Dynamite happening on Jericho's boat got me thinking... Would any of this, you know, AEW and poo poo, be happening, at all or to this extent, if WWE had just approved NXT talent to appear on Jericho's first cruise like he wanted to?

There are so many what ifs with WWE where if they'd treated talent/prospective talent better we'd end up with a vastly different landscape right now. What if they'd let Cody stop being Stardust? What if Bill DeMott hadn't abused Kenny when he was in DSW? What if RVD and Booker T weren't so gotten to about the Bucks not respecting them enough in TNA when they had their WWE tryout? What if Gedo hadn't turned them down for offering him a racist Japanese stereotype character to play when they tried to sign him in 2007 and the NJPW revival never happened?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cavauro posted:

The biggest name they have is christopher daniels.

Japanese deathmatch legend Luther

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

Japanese Deathmatch Legend Luther was not signed because of Japanese Death Match Legend Chris Jericho; but actually because of Japanese Death Match Legend Emi Sakura

The NJPW/AEW alliance finally comes when Gedo, Jado, Jericho, Luther and Emi start an FMW revival stable to destroy both companies.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Actwres girlZ also put on theatre performances. (The "act" part of Actwres I guess). I'm not sure which of them came from a theatre background though. I know Miyuki Takase's background is YouTuber.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Are there any children of wrestlers who found notable success in fields that aren't adjacent to wrestling or even sports?

Seiji Sakaguchi of NJPW fame is the father of Kenji Sakaguchi who was an actor and is now a coffee roaster. (he's also the father of Yukio the DDT wrestler but that doesn't answer our question)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Oh I think Tanahashi's daughter is trying to get into acting too?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Yeah, when they bought Stardom one of the Japanese wrestling blogs did a survey of whether they should integrate Stardom into NJPW and the men's responses were mostly positive or ambivalent and the women were strongly against it. Kinda puts the whole white dude podcasters demanding NJPW introduce a women's division into perspective.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Tadao Yasuda. IWGP Heavyweight Champion in 2002. Dude won a tournament for the vacant title, beating Masahiro Chono & Yuji Nagata. Before that, career midcarder, usually the guy being pinned in tag matches. Then he did some MMA & beat Jerome Le Banner at Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye so of course he got a title run. 1 successful defence against Tenzan & that was it, dropped the belt to Nagata & everyone just tried to forget it.

Honourable mentions to the Bob Sapp & Brock Lesnar IWGP Heavyweight title reigns. Both very short but bad for different reasons.

I wouldn't put Sapp on Yasuda or Lesnar's level just because he was insanely over and charismatic.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

What is the best upgrade in terms of replacing wrestlers who were pulled from the card for injury or any reason?

Asking because I saw Jimmy Suzuki is replacing Cody Hall with Dylan James in light of Cody's recent controversies and that's a pretty massive talent differential (as would replacing Cody with anyone tbf)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

fatherofmustard posted:

What are the most divisive matches of all time? Matches like Kenny vs Moxley from Full Gear that some people loved and some hated.

Okada/SANADA matches seem to divide opinion between MOTYC and worst match ever with not much in between.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Nikkan Lee is probably the best referee in Japan. She adds to a match without being the centre of attention. I wish she had Kyohei's job.

There's also Mio Shirai in Ice Ribbon and OZ Academy (She plays a heel referee in employ the villainous Seiki-gun in OZ though), Natsuki Taiyo in SEAdLINNNG, Tommy in various joshi feds and another referee in OZ whose name I don't know. (e: it's Sachiko Ito)

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 20, 2020

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Memnaelar posted:

What's the story on the merch money bit?

Supposedly Matt's wife didn't cut Ibushi in on merch money from the Golden Elite shirt and he was pissed about it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Benne posted:

Dustin Rhodes was 50 for his match with Cody. Jericho was 47 for the Tokyo Dome match with Omega. Terry Funk was 45 for the I Quit match with Flair.

I think those are the three oldest unless I'm missing someone obvious.

Giant Baba was 56 when Meltzer gave a six man tag he was in 5 stars, but he didn't play much of a part in that. Dustin is the oldest for singles match.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think it's still Rey

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Claytor posted:

A year or two ago someone posted a link to a Japanese women's match in which one of the competitors was dressed in a crab costume and doing a bunch of crab-based comedy spots. Does anyone remember what this was or have a link to it? Googling "japanese women's wrestling crab costume" has not produced helpful results.

That was Sakura Hirota

Looks like the match was Sakura Hirota and Hikaru Shida vs.Yumi Ohka and Mika Iida but it may be hard to find with the WAVE Network being taken down. They're uploading a lot of their back archive to YouTube right now so maybe it will show up. Here's a YouTube tribute video anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfUvD3AHMUc

drat you literally asked on the 5 year anniversary of this match.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 19, 2020

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

OFFICER LIGER posted:

does south korea have any type of wrestling scene? i never hear about anything occurring there.

Yeah the company is called New Korea Pro Wrestling. They sometimes cross promote with Land's End in Japan and I think the All Asia Heavyweight title (like the original one) ended up there after The Bodyguard dropped it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4olzGrTNOk About 3/4 of the way through he says how people in the locker room have been calling him asking if he wants them to dog pile Lio Rush.

I always assumed when WWE wrestlers start dogpiling someone that it was an edict from management. If they're doing it of their own volition that's just pathetic.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

He didn't poo poo talk War Machine but pissed them off because as part of his making GBS threads on Cobb, he complained that Cobb would rather "hang out with War Machine" than spend time with Mike's sponsors. Pretty sure War Machine got a T-shirt out if it so they can't be too mad.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Typically they run 2 shows in Sumo Hall and one at EDION in Osaka each year. Though last year they just did the Tokyo shows. They are run of the mill house shows.

They were supposed to run Yokohama Arena next month

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

That was because Sumo Hall was blocked out for the Olympics though, right?

Yeah, it's a bigger arena though and their recent Sumo Hall attendances haven't been fantastic (~6-7k) so it might not have turned out so well.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Both Tsukka and Tsukushi were originally trained by Emi

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

He's the NWA World's Champion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

On a related subject, I wonder if Ikemen actually ever signed a contract, because he's openly wrestling for AJPW and DDT right now but Sareee is complaining that she can't wrestle and maybe wrestling for Diana under a mask