Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

has alberto el patron ever had a great match?

Looking at his WON ratings, his best rated matches are multimans, ladder matches and assorted gimmick matches, and Rumbles, with his highest rated straight singles match being the Edge match at Mania 27, which got 3.5 stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Cavauro posted:

lol at the owner of Flex-N-Gate just absolutely not being able to get TV without chris jericho. maybe it would have been 90 minutes at 6pm. i'll give you that

I can see the argument that they wouldn't have gotten TNT without Jericho, but they could probably have gotten a similar slot on a smaller network on the other talent they had, especially if we're including Moxley.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

WWECW Legend Trent Beretta

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I've been wondering the same thing, is it just that he's that dedicated to CZW?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Did we ever find out what the personal story about Vince Punk alluded to at the end of the pipebomb was?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Mil Mascaras. Any other answer is hilariously wrong and ignorant.

Mil hasn't wrestled in a year, I'm not sure he counts as active. If he doesn't count, then it's idk Ultimo Guerrero or CIMA? Caristico would be in there if he hadn't been IWGP Jr. Champ.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yukaichiban posted:

Interested in this but felt it isn't thread worthy; if wrestling died tomorrow and we knew it was happening in some weird hypothetical, what do you want the final wrestling match ever to be?

Chris Dickinson vs Kawada

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Obviously the best ring would just be two turnbuckles with a set of ropes stretched between them and an apron rail so the entire match would be built around springboards and moves on the hardest part of the ring, which in this case would be the only part of the ring

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

shiksa posted:

my wrestling question is: is joey ryan a bad wrestler who stumbled upon an over gimmick? and if so what is the difference between that and a good wrestler?

A good wrestler can work outside the gimmick and still deliver. El Generico was a very over gimmick, and after losing that gimmick he's still put in good performances despite his circumstances.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

I would like to see people who claim Jericho as the GOAT clearly articulate why he's a better pro wrestler than Kobashi, Misawa, inoki, Flair, Bret, Terry Funk, Sammartino, Race, even guys he was contemporaneous with like Rocky and Austin

It's just ludicrous imo, he isn't even top 15 or top 20 to me. but I respect the opinion

He's been able to keep himself fresh far longer than Rock or Austin, adapting to the times and promotions he finds himself in. I don't think in ring he's ever surpassed the best Bret matches, but as a character he's been far more consistently interesting. The comparison to Flair is a hard one, my instinct is that he's been better about developing new talent around him and staying exciting in his later years whereas later Flair became a schtick more than a character. Funk might actually be the perfect comparison, they're both excellent about giving their opponents opportunity to look great.

I don't think in the ring he's on the level of Misawa or Kobashi, and in terms of influence he can't touch Inoki, but I think there's a top 20 case.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

It came up lately about the recent NTX Takeover, but what does it mean for a match to be "overbooked" and "overwritten"?

If you take the simplest possible wrestling match as two wrestlers wrestling in full adherence to the rules inside the ring with no outside interference until one of them hits their finisher and wins, any run-in, ref bump, outside spot, weapon spot, finisher kickout, or other event that disrupts that simplest possible match is a complication. Complication can be great, it can really elevate the emotional stakes of a match (TLC 2 is my favorite example of a match that's full of interference but never becomes frustrating with it), but when people say something is "overbooked", that's when it's hit diminishing returns. At that point, the complications have stopped adding to the emotional reaction, and probably detract from it.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

That's probably like asking where the line is between confidence and arrogance. You obviously CAN just think you're better than you are and be a selfish deluded rear end in a top hat. People are everywhere.

That's easy. It's not confidence, it's all ego.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Vandar posted:

So I'm looking at some stats over on Cagematch, and uh...I've got a question.

What happened in the five years between 2006 and 2011 to cause Dave Meltzer not to hand out any five star matches in that period? Was wrestling worldwide in that big of a slump in that time?

Blood Generation vs Do Fixer was just that good

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

All the 4.75 matches between Do Fixer/Blood Generation and Cena/Punk:

12.08.2006 Ring Of Honor Bryan Danielson vs. Nigel McGuinness
16.09.2006 Ring Of Honor Bryan Danielson vs. KENTA
29.10.2006 Pro Wrestling NOAH KENTA vs. Naomichi Marufuji
15.07.2007 Pro Wrestling NOAH KENTA & Taiji Ishimori vs. Kota Ibushi & Naomichi Marufuji
25.08.2007 Ring Of Honor Bryan Danielson vs. Takeshi Morishima
29.12.2007 Ring Of Honor Austin Aries vs. Nigel McGuinness
05.04.2009 World Wrestling Entertainment Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker
06.09.2009 Dragon Gate USA Bryan Danielson vs. Naruki Doi
27.03.2010 Dragon Gate USA BxB Hulk, Masato Yoshino & Naruki Doi vs. CIMA, Dragon Kid & Gamma
28.03.2010 World Wrestling Entertainment Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker
19.06.2010 Ring Of Honor Davey Richards vs. Tyler Black
26.06.2011 Ring Of Honor Davey Richards vs. Eddie Edwards

So I guess the story of the five star drought is "Danielson wasn't quite good enough"

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Okay this sounds dope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw9TTtqldZs

It owns

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Can you explain the context? Like, I can see a round robin scoreboard at the start? Is it a tag team tournament?

Apparently it was part of the Nippon TV Cup Junior Heavyweight Tag League 2007, as was the match that immediately followed it: Kotaro Suzuki & Ricky Marvin vs. The Briscoes in a time limit draw

I Before E fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 9, 2020

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Memnaelar posted:

What's the story on the merch money bit?

Allegedly Matt's wife stiffed Ibushi on Golden Elite shirt royalties and that caused bad vibes between him and the Elite guys, I don't think it's been particularly substantiated though.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Juice Robinson on commentary has always been fun.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Given that Edge and Christian are supposedly brothers, did we ever get their last name?

Same question for The Undertaker and Kane. Although it could be Kane Bearer, but I don't think Paul married their mum.

Harlem heat is easy, as their last name is clearly T, after Booker won the rights to that name off of Ahmed Johnston.

Christian Cage and Edge Cage

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lamuella posted:

In practical terms, what's the bare minimum number of people that would be needed to be on site for a 5 match card wrestling show produced to a TV-broadcast quality?

How low are you going for the definition of "tv broadcast quality"

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Would Norman Smiley have been in the WCWBFA

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Having not been familiar with him before he came to NXT, what is Matt Riddle's appeal? I can't in good faith enjoy a guy who's character is "literally every stoner douchebro you met in college".

He doesn't seem to have changed much in terms of "MMA guy who likes weed", but he was much more "amiable guy who enjoys marijuana as a side hobby while focusing on doing MMA moves in a ring" than "I just saw Half Baked and here are all the jokes from it" on the indies. His match with Dan Severn from Spring Break 1 is much better than a match involving a very old Dan Severn should be.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Origin posted:

He was not wronk.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I didn't follow TNA, but I gather that the only person making Sting look like poo poo in TNA was Sting.

Hulk Hogan probably also made Sting look like poo poo a few times

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

The day after Vince dies, Dave Meltzer's book will be released and he'll disappear forever to a castle made out of gold bricks

Can it be accessed via gold boat

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Here's a question:

Apart from Owen Hart and Koko B Ware, I can't think of many inter-racial tag teams. Or even stables, (Owen again here is the exception that proves the rule.) Can anybody remember any prominent tag teams/stables that were inter-racial?

What got me thinking about this was WWE/Vince's racism and the way that he always seems to put his Black wrestlers in teams together eventually.

World's Greatest Tag Team and American Alpha are the ones that come to mind

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

I'd be more upset about it if I felt like anybody in the mid-late 2000's was really worth pushing. Watching him beat up everybody while never changing or becoming interesting was annoying but it wasn't until Punk's run got completely overshadowed by him that I cared about who was getting done dirty by SuperCena.

And then he took clean losses to Bryan, Styles, and Steen

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The difference between WWE homers and NJPW homers is that NJPW doesn't embarrass itself often enough or badly enough that people need to get desperate to defend it the way people say that Owen Hart deserved to die in defense of WWE.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Elgin has a bad habit of being very hard to work with and also being mediocre so he keeps falling into companies bad enough that he's the best thing they have so he has leverage to behave the way he does

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Maigius posted:

Can you give more more info on that? From the people involved it sounds like it was from the Ruthless Aggression era, but that also sounds like a pure Russo angle. Mostly is just want to know why?

This was in like 2004, and probably involved Jamie Noble's trailer park millionaire gimmick that also involved Nidia going blind for some reason. Basically the match stip was that whoever won between Billy and Jamie got a night with Torrie, but it eventually worked out that Whoops! All Orgy!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jeff Jarrett at least had some good matches, a Ted Dibiase Jr. or Bray Wyatt doesn't even have that.

E: If you're going by whose lows are most excruciating Shane McMahon has to be up there.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 15, 2020

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Alberto is a horrendous human being and a replacement level worker at best

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

fatherofmustard posted:

Shane has had good matches like his Kurt Angle one.

Jeff Jarrett's cocaine brawl with Angle was way better

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Cena had a great match with RVD in 2006 so he's at least as good as Jerry Lynn

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Cena's career arc is an odd one. In 2011 he can't quite carry someone to a great main event (see Mania 27), but he can rise to the level of an opponent like Punk. I have trouble remembering just when he started to really go to the next level, perhaps around 2014. (The matches he had with Orton weren't great but that was because by that point he'd faced Randy Orton some 10,000 times.)

I don't think anyone could carry a concussed Miz to a good match

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lid posted:

I've asked this before in historical WON awards, especially in runner ups, but I don't think I've had a clear answer how this happened:

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
1. Daichi Hashimoto (552) 3,018
2. Uhaa Nation (23) 650
3. Takumi "Sho" Soya (24) 509
4. Obariyan (17) 315
5. Archibald Peck (15) 242
6. Fenix (3) 235
7. Dragon Lee (11) 185
8. Tommaso Ciampa (15) 111
9. Mike Dalton (2) 78
10. Dark Dragon 72

How did Daichi Hashimoto of all people crush the award in 2011 over Uhaa Nation, SHO, loving FENIX, Dragon Lee I (now the current Mistico), and Tommaso Ciampa? Like he got 552 votes and second place was 23.

Looking at Daichi's cagematch and just looking at 2011, he was given a lot of time in tag matches with big talent whereas Uhaa has one Dragon Gate tour and some scattered matches in American promotions, plus that DG tour was late in the year going into December, so depending on what made tape (which was harder to get in 2011) he wouldn't have as much exposure as a guy who'd been working since March. Fenix mostly worked AAA undercards and dark matches. Ciampa worked a lot of indies and had 5 minute matches in 2011 ROH.

Also Sho is a different guy, Takumi Soya retired a while back.

E: f,b

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

With Rookie of the year you really just have to look at the year itself and not the whole career for it to make sense

Yeah, there are a lot of Adam Morrison situations with Rookie Of The Year where a guy looks like a sure thing and flops while a guy who didn't look like much all year becomes the hottest thing on the planet and you look like a dummy in hindsight

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Deathlove posted:

*whispers* Archibald Peck in 2011 was better than all of them

(Also probably wasn't a rookie but I digress)

The general rule for Rookie Of The Year is that they have to have debuted in their first major promotion and by that rule he shouldn't have been eligible until he started with ROH.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Deathlove posted:

the unenviable position of having to defend CHIKARA :negative:

I'm not even talking about quality, just in terms of prominence and drawing power it was never on the level of other promotions that were counted as "major promotions" for Rookie voting, at least at the time. Even now with more and more Chikara size promotions being accessible through streaming, Evolve is the only promotion of their size that's produced a Rookie Of The Year winner (Riddle), and that's combined with his PWG run at the height of their Super Indie status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Easy defense, a CHIKARA guy won RotY 2009

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR 
1. Frightmare (205) 1,451
2. Ricky Steamboat Jr. (89) 1,074
3. Brutus Magnus (94) 751
4. Ryota Hama (50) 694
5. Cody Deaner (23) 269