Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

fez_machine posted:

Are there any other contenders for greatest heel stable/unit/faction other than NWO or Bullet Club?

I have a special place in my heart for the Dangerous Alliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've got a question about something I've heard about but never been able to read about: what were the "Philly Indie Wars" I've heard them called? If they were something not nearly so grandiose as to warrant the name, I would buy that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Cameo posted:

He basically did rehab until he hit the bare minimum threshold to be cleared to work, and came back for Survivor Series because he knew he was on the run of his career (little did he know it would be to the level of the biggest star in wrestling history to that point). He didn’t get the surgery to correct the compression his spine had gone through until late 1999, when he was written off with the getting hit by a car angle. For that giant period of his world title run, he was working with a compressed spine and in constant pain, which is insane.

Wow. I knew all that on some level, but reading that really reminds me of Paul Orndorff not taking time off to take care of his arm. The money with his run with Hogan was just... ridiculous.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hedgehog Pie posted:

On that note, I wonder what everyone's favourite commentary team across any wrestling promotion is. I have a fondness for JR and Heyman: it lasted less than a year and Heyman was occasionally sleazy in the manner of Jerry Lawler, but most of the time they combined good play-by-play with legitimately insightful colour analysis, and they could be funny too. They seemed to really enjoy working together.

That's honestly a really good pick. We don't have, I think, peak JR here but Heyman pushes him to be very close. Nostalgia choice is Gorilla/Bobby, of course.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vandar posted:

Honestly it's this for me. Tony's sheer joy at seeing modern wrestling after almost two decades out of the business is infectious as gently caress, and Excalibur gives him someone good to play off of. JR is usually whatever, but he still has his moments where he adds to the table and it would be weaker overall without him.

If you were wondering who Sting telling Tony to get over here and give him a hug was targeted at, it was me. :unsmith:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Senator Giroux posted:

That and Heyman talking about giving an amazing promo in WCW only to come backstage and have Dusty disappointedly say “that was entertaining, but where’s the money?”

It's always been really depressing that two of my favorite years in wrestling, being '89 and '92 (for NWA/WCW) from both story and work perspectives, didn't draw a dime. :negative:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Yeah, I actually forgot that he used that line to quickly segue into talking about the useless yes men, specifically calling out Laurinaitis. I imagine him bringing Laurinaitis up was one of his "tick boxes" since Johnny became an on-screen character not long after. If it wasn't, did they just decide to introduce him because Punk mentioned him?

Reminding the crowd he was Animal’s brother and thus was the brother of one of the members of the most famous tag teams of all time whereas he’d been exceedingly average his entire career was great. I only wish Punk had worked in a Dynamic Dudes reference.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TL posted:

That said, his match with Bret at WrestleMania is pretty much the last worthwhile match he ever had, and his work by the time he got to WCW was abysmal.

Even the mic work is pretty bad outside of (maybe) Piper's initial promo. Then you have that whole 'Piper's Tryouts' segment and... woof.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ray Traylor was super underrated at selling.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

If I recall right, he was so good at selling for the big stars when he was an enhancement guy, particularly at "going up light" that they quickly pulled him off the air so they could repackage him as Big Bubba and make him a proper character member of the roster himself?

The most repeated story is he was brought in with a small crew of enhancement guys and paired up with Tully Blanchard and being like twice Tully's size nobody thought he could give this big chunk his slingshot suplex finisher but Ray insisted he could and lo, Tully did. I think it's on YouTube. Dusty saw that and the wheels started spinning.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There's a gif of him going wild in AJPW against Kobashi, and he looks slick af. Bossman was legit.

I'd love to live in the alternate reality where Boss Man did a lot more Japan work and was Hansen's tag partner for a good stretch.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I didn't hate the smooth Chucky T's hand grenade.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Arn was a great seller; loved it when he would start swinging at air.

What OSW termed 'Aloha Arn' (Arn fighting a sunset flip) was fun too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Red posted:

I don't think anybody gets into wrestling to make a career out of impersonating a more successful wrestler, but hey, good for Jeff Farmer.

“Yup.”

One of my favorite spots I recalled was Don Muraco eating like a hero sub while having a squash match.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheKingslayer posted:

Ok I'm glad someone knew who Ken Patera was because that was the only one I couldn't name.

Orton threw me but to be fair I couldn't see his cast which I have literally never seen him without.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

It's Choshu. He's the guy that people instantly name when they find out I'm into pro wrestling. Like even people in their 20s who weren't even born when he was in his prime. His retirement event two years ago was even shown in cinemas.

Interesting. I'd always heard you were asked if you were an Inoki fan or a Baba fan.

(I would have said Jumbo.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It is kind of funny that ends with 'one of the worst world title matches on PPV... three stars.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Much like sneezing, sleep is something Vince can't ultimately control, and thus must hate it.

I always remember that bit about Jericho going to Vince's (Mc)Mansion in his first book and even at home Vince was immaculate with his hair done and a suit. Like you'd think business casual would be fine for hanging out at your house and trying to figure out if Too Much or the JOB Squad goes over with Bruce Prichard.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LionYeti posted:

So I love so bad its hilarious stuff. What are some really bad matches that go all the way around and become amazing. I'd prefer not heroes of wrestling/old guy lucha matches where the participants can barely move and it makes the viewer sad.

Let us indeed start with TNA as Cerebral Bore wisely recommends and begin with the 'electrified cage' that was in no way electrified but Team 3D and LAX had to make it seem like it was. To be completely fair WCW did something similar many years earlier at Halloween Havoc where Abdullah the Butcher was thrown into an electric chair and 'shocked' but the TNA match is next level.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

D.N. Nation posted:

Triple H vs. Scott Steiner, '03 Royal Rumble. Hunter tries to do his usual 30-minute NWA epic match, except Steiner can barely move.

Yeah. This might be peak Trips thinking he can cosplay Flair. Flair probably could have carried (literally) a one-legged Scott to a watchable match. Hunter not so much.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Claytor posted:

Any match involving Alabama Doink.

Is he the one that eventually had to go by 'TV's Wrestling Clown?'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

davidbix posted:

They all did.

Ah, gotcha. I'd always heard WWE was surprisingly lenient about the Doink gimmick being used in the indies but there was somebody who used it who got the C&D way before anybody else did.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lazy like a Fox posted:

What's the most inexplicably over catchphrase/call and response crowd chant? For me it's that time when DX came back and they would do a variant of the original "suck it" chant, where they would tell the entire crowd to Suck It, to which everyone would gleefully applause, then they would say "if you're not down with that, we've got two words for you" which would of course be responded to with another Suck It. Really creates a damned if you do damned if you don't time loop.

What?

Actually, honestly probably that one that just sandbagged WWE for ages after. Props to the guys who figured out how to pattern their talking so it didn't invite the opening.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is the Overdrive/Playmaker too easy? I don't care. It's still "My finisher is messing up my own knee."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wonder who has the safest piledriver. Lawler?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Karma came calling when they had to do all those jobber matches for the Steiners later.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Red posted:

Can someone explain in interesting detail:

- Why did Ron Simmons get the world title? Was he the right guy to get the 'lottery' pick?
- Did he have good matches as champ?
- What was his initial long term plan?
- How did he do on top, business wise, versus what was expected?
- Did he ever get another look at another run on top after he lost the belt?
- Did Vince consider making him champ in the WWF?

Pulling a lot of this from Foley's first book, Watts, despite being a large (in several senses of the word) was/is a huge racist but also knew black folks liked wrestling and would probably pay to see a black person as champion. It worked with Junkyard Dog in Mid-South* but... I love Ron, but he didn't have JYD's charisma (few do) so he didn't really draw but I don't think '92 was a great business year all around. The rest is as Bix says. The biggest angle he had was with Barbarian and I love Barb but he wasn't pushed as a main event challenger until suddenly he was. Cactus was injured. They just didn't have anybody for him to face they were willing to have him go against. I know they brought in the Miracle Violence Connection for the Steiners but it might have been fun to see Doc or Gordy challenge him.

*Amusingly Watts had tried the same thing earlier in Mid-South with Ron's future tag partner Butch Reed (RIP) but it also didn't work because the Dog was easy to love and had some great angles.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Red posted:

He had some great moves (his spinebuster was great, and he had a neat flip over the ropes), but hell if I can recall a singles match with Simmons that stands out in my mind. Most of his WWF stuff paired him off against Ahmed, and he had a meh match with Owen. I don't recall his matches with Rocky being great outside of the crowd-popping spots (and Rocky wasn't THE ROCK yet), but then, most guys didn't get a lot of time for matches during that era, so only the main events got decent time.

Watts pushed him mostly because he had the legit athlete sheen the Cowboy craved so. It's funny watching Doom under the masks because Butch is on a different level work-wise.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Red posted:

I haven't seen that match in 20 years, but I think that's when Faarooq still had Crush and Savio (for some reason), but also had a big entourage of random people like Clarence Mason, (the unnamed) D-Lo Brown, PG-13, and whatever local jobbers they could find. They also had a woman that never did anything outside of a few appearances - who was she?

Did Wolfie and Jamie ever wrestle an actual match as PG-13 (or at least as a tag team) in WWE?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DeathChicken posted:

He comes across as a casualty of WWE's insane travel schedule. Whenever he actually got any time off, he'd always come back looking like he dropped 50 pounds and was in the best shape of his life. Then he'd gain all the weight back until it was time for his next vacation.

Imagine if Show had been booked as an attraction and not a full timer. Of course where would he go? Another casualty of we can’t miss him if he never leaves.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Punk is an odd cat. In his RF shoot Hornswoggle tells the story of how he used to ride with Punk and by all accounts though they were friends until one time Swoggle asked for somebody's phone number and Punk decided that Hornswoggle was using him and froze him out. I don't even think he and Cabana are friends anymore, although admittedly that might be Cabana's doing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhonda Sing, too. She tore up Stampede and Japan as Monster Ripper but went to the WWF and became... Bertha Faye, Harvey Whippleman's girlfriend. She got to wrestle more in WCW but they also made her a Nitro Girl called Beef because she was a larger woman and the Nitro Girls were skinny and that's funny.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Of note is that that was the immediate PPV follow-up to Austin 3:16.

(edit: actually he beat Marc Mero at the previous In Your House, lol)

It’s always been a fun part of WWE rewritten history to claim Austin was immediately turned into a red hot superstar after he said whatever he said then I forget, but it took at the least a few weeks before they were like ‘okay we’ll push you I GUESS.’

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I always wondered why Mitch Ryder (one of the aforementioned charismatic heels) stopped working for Chikara but given Chikara's... everything coming out I may not like the answers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Specifically his gear, which is funny since Quack's gear is terrible

I didn't realize Quack had been quite that catty in his emails, comfortable ensconced in his pleather pants as he was.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I had no idea Quack's Wrestling Is whole thing was because he was trying to get out of divorce stuff. Like a true comic nerd he created an entire crossover event to avoid paying alimony. Wild.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SG Bamboo posted:

I know that Johnathan Gresham was a member of Osirian Portal for a short time as Hieracon, I remember him being real fun in one of the king of trios

He also had a super fun little match with Brodie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

I remember Jackal coming out after Faarooq and Bradshaw both lost separate singles matches on Metal or Heat and whispered something in their ear. It was supposed to demonstrate his powers of persuasion.

Callis apparently wanted them to have a Satanic gimmick of some sort and that's how they got folded into the Ministry, from what I understand.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn’t Hania turn most of the Impact locker room against her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Even with Quack being a POS I'm still grateful CHIKARA showed me a lot of stuff I'd never have seen otherwise, like a bunch of joshi talent or Johnny Saint and Johnny Smith wrestle.