Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i half remember an anecdote about Norman Smiley working three shots a day in mexico and having a car trunk full of money so those guys get some matches in. i hope this data useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Aye Doc posted:

all the most honest and truthful wrestling rumors were found on angelfire and geocities web pages that used randomly varying fonts, font sizes, and font colors for each different rumor

IS ERIC BISCHOFF IN TALKS WITH YOKOZUNA??! ***CLICK HERE FOR MORE***

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Nystral posted:

I see you frequently visited LordsOfPain as well.

i was hardcore rajahwwf. it was probably the same poo poo with a different style sheet tbf

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i think around "The Goon" period they were experimenting with having a regular jobber crew with crazy gimmicks

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

big show was cool but his chokeslam looked like absolute poo poo after the glory days of WCW. he made up for it by doing that cool cobra-clutch backbreaker to helicopter throw for a bit which was absolutely top-notch. he has that jericho thing where he was a good worker searching for a satisfying finish for a long while until he realised "just hit a bitch in the face." we got there in the end but we had to suffer through the Hog Log along the way

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

jesus WEP posted:

ZSJ just screaming HURRAH! ANOTHER YEAR, SURELY THIS ONE WILL BE BETTER THAN THE LAST; THE INEXORABLE MARCH OF PROGRESS WILL LEAD US ALL TO HAPPINESS while wrenching on several body parts at once

ZSJ is really good.

edit: hang on let me rephrase that as a question

ZSJ is really good?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

A clothesline is when you stick your arm out and don't move it and someone runs into it.... A lariat is when you throw your arm at someone.

i always think that this is a bit of a retcon and originally the difference was whether it happened in the WWF or WCW

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

raven vs. chris benoit. benoit works his way through the whole flock and then in the climactic battle the last half of the match is mostly benoit beating the poo poo out of raven for loving him over so much

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Alaois posted:

the original irish whip was more like an ippon seoi than what we call an irish whip now

the whole logic of running off of an irish whip is based on that being the counter to the original version, crazy to think about

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

goozle is the carny name for the single arm pre-chokeslam choke

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i think the superstars theme music legitimately had no lyrics, the vocal part being jim johnston spouting nonsense syllables with a pissed off affect

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

harperdc posted:

Rollins in a workrate match in NJPW would depend entirely on who he's faced with but would likely be as poorly received as Cody's work there. just like polite applause, that's all.

he would be literally chase owens

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

taker gave hhh a stinger off of a tombstone when he ran in on the rock/hhh ironman match and so piledrivers were banned. piledrivers are still banned save for the taker/kane tombstone and canadian destroyer

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

NikkolasKing posted:

How big a name was Kevin Sullivan once upon a time? I always hear his name come up when discussing WCW. He always seemed to be wrestling top guys or in a prime position backstage., But in an older Retro Nitro I just listened to they mentioned he is now wrestling in front of 12 people. That's the most I've heard about him since the death of WCW.

Seems like quite a fall.

he was a top guy in the territories and feuded with hogan in wcw. now he is 70 years old and does scummy little indy shows ran by scummy indy people who would book a 70 year old in a match. i am hoping he just does it to keep busy rather than out of financial necessity

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Maxwell Lord posted:

And they seem to work consistently until sometime in their 70s.

americans should start doing rolling bumps

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

A few years ago there was a show, PPV I think, where Vince McMahon does a backstage segment. After the segment he's left alone in the room and turns around and has a vision of himself from the 80s (blue jacket and all) and looks startled, then moves on. I can't remember if it was a cardboard cutout of himself or if it was an Ultimate Warrior style mirror hallucination, and to the best of my knowledge NOTHING ever came of it. I think it might have been meant to be the start of some kind of angle where Vince realizes what a monstrous caricature of himself he has become, but if so it got abandoned almost before it began. Does anybody remember the particular show or have a screenshot/gif/clip?

this definately happened but i saw it years later as a youtube and can offer no further context

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

jungian wrestling entertainment

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

troposphere openweight title when coward anthony?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Karl Ontario posted:

I think it is a nostalgia thing, most people associate him with their first memories of watching wrestling and assume he must have been good since he was in WWF/WWE for so long.

I feel the same way about Aubrey Edwards in AEW. Everyone says she is a great ref, but seems more like a hivemind thing than anything based on reality. Every match I watch Aubrey is over the top and draws attention to herself and away from the in ring action.

I think a ref should be almost invisible unless enforcing the rules or counting.

aubrey is cool but if you want an invisible ref she does not do that. honestly i did not mind earl back in the day, but he is too slow now

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

main roster money for who, though

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

bryan carried marko stunt to perfectlyfineindiemidcardmatch/***** fairly recently

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i am fully convinced josh barnett believes wrestling is real

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

it's blond and yet it's silken, like that of a chinese man

Hedgehog Pie posted:

He's very protective of his blonde Chinese hair and skin of a hot dog because that's how he channels the power of Hulkamania.

goddam it

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Coaaab posted:

Is the Japanese dojo system within, say, the last 10 years as rough or rougher than the PC? If so, is it your opinion that the ends justify the means?

it is a health risk

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

it gives everybody crabs

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

the canonical pro-wrestling finale is the kenny and ibushi wedding episode

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

the whole concept of a goat is some great man of history bullshit tbh. no i will not stop voting in the goat thread

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Twin Cinema posted:

Speaking of Edge & Christian, when did they drop the Brood gimmick and become wacky heels? Was it gradual? I think this change occurred during a brief time that I stopped watching.

They were almost completely mute then one day they did colour commentary and they burst from their chrysalis fully formed.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Terri Runnels was briefly involved. They did the Terri Invitational Tournament. IT'S A TIT JOKE. YOU GET IT?! YOU GETTING IT? IT IS A JOKE ABOUT TITS.

jesus

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

I remember that there was a team called The Jung Dragons, but not anything else about them (and certainly not that they had a.... manager? Valet? female wrestler as a wider part of their stable?) .... was one of them in 3 Count too?

I think they were blood enemies with 3 Count. Tank Abbot was somehow involved.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Butterbean won a shoot with a kimura or americana. I do not know what my point is.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Answers Me posted:

When, how and why did new WWE workers start getting given really loving dumb names?

Hulk Hogan

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The subtle bassline of the RTC song

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

"The Shooter" Mark Curtis

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Hellblazer187 posted:

I don't know about the prevalence but I tend to prefer people with a wrestling background to people with a football background when it comes to pro wrestling.

There are suplexes in football. I have seen gifs.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Curious that the fake Brandon Lee working under the karate obsessive Eric Bischoff incorporated no kung fu into his act.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Sid is the platonic ideal of "galoot." Also he pooed himself once, fighting "The Undertaker"

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I am fond of Sid's weird punches

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I just remembered how tan Sid was and that activated some neuron which remembered a pamphlet which "Powerslam" magazine put out. It was about the "Ten Best Paid Wrestlers" and in the Hulk Hogan entry they listed his main strength as "Excellent Promo" and his main weakness as "Skin cancer seems inevitable."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Moist & Chewing, that was the way back then