Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

What happened to that big WWE story Dave and Bryan said was probably going to leak over the weekend? They said it was NXT on USA big, and was a bad thing, and that it would inevitably get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I just have a few questions:

1. How come Vince never pushed Adam Bomb? The guy had a decent look, and he was no worse in the ring than plenty of guys who Vince had pushed.

2. Who is the most famous WWE wrestler without a Wrestlemania appearance? It’s gotta be Kamala right?
Ah, Bryan Clark. After washing out of Blood Runs Cold with everybody else in that angle, WCW did the same thing. He got a Goldberg/Ryback beat-a-bunch-of-jobbers push as Wrath for a hot minute and then Nash squashed him to prove he could end a winning streak on his way to Goldberg. Nothing happened after that until Kronik with a backwards k at the end, and even that was meh and then Undertaker said he was the shits and that was that forever.

I only remember him cutting one promo and it was okay.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Downtown Seattle is hard to park in so just keep that in mind
HOW DID YOU NOT TELL ME THIS WHEN YOU LIVED HERE?!!!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

LividLiquid posted:

HOW DID YOU NOT TELL ME THIS WHEN YOU LIVED HERE?!!!
I quoted the wrong post. Whoops.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TTBF posted:

I don't drive here.
Nobody drives here! There's too much traffic!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Are there any other wrestling Youtube/Video content providers other than Botchamania or BDWJ1989 worth checking out?
WhatCulture Wrestling isn't interesting, but it kills time and Simon Miller's enthusiasm is always good for that parasocial jolt.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

We knew DDP was a dork even back then, but he believed in himself so much and had such great matches that it became impossible not to believe in him too.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

forkboy84 posted:

Thunder was shown live from its launch until October 2000 when they started taping it after Nitro
I think it alternated between taped shows and live shows for a while, didn't it? Before the reboot, I mean.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sometimes you get distracted for a minute in the middle of typing up a post and somebody beats you to it before you realize you forgot to refresh.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What is Kevin Nash's best match from a workrate point of view?
Definitely Bret, but this is a man who went home instead of doing a job to the point that it extended to his role in John Wick.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Alaois posted:

wrong, it was that one match in TNA where he did an armdrag
The crowd erupted in a "this is awesome" chant for that, so Big Kev keeps proving you should work smarter, not harder.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

No no, she didn't sign a contract and get pregnant. She got pregnant, then entered into contract negotiations without telling them she was pregnant, got the guaranteed money and then revealed it. THAT is the grift, and it owns.
It super does. And to a nicer guy it couldn't happen.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Randaconda posted:

You can almost physically see the brakes being put on Austin as soon as Hogan, et all comes in.
Hogan constantly pushing his buddies wouldn't have been so bad if his buddies were actual good wrestlers or performers in any way whatsoever, but the people who get de-pushed in favor of them were mostly all time greats, which makes it that much worse.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

Ziggler's more because Nick Nemeth is like a cargo cult for Shawn Michaels.
Wow, that's the perfect way to describe him.

Waving palm branches and hoping planes will land, not understanding why the two were connected.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Hellblazer187 posted:

Didn't he say some not cool stuff on a podcast a few months back? Some "cancelled" stuff? I don't remember the details.
It was your usual transphobic bullshit about how trans women shouldn't compete with cis women because they're actually men. Worse yet, he was even talking about wrestling, where it isn't actually a competition.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Stone Pitbull 141 posted:

What the gently caress is it with people just having to look at a transgendered person and go "UM ACTUALLY THEY'RE REALLY-". Let people be, I guarantee your transphobic rear end is fine.
For the most part, I've been super lucky with stuff like this. I use the bathroom three or four times a night at the bar at which I work and every time a woman sees me in there, they have this moment of "OH!" and then you can almost see them get excited that they have an opportunity to just be decent to a stranger and they're polite as gently caress. They get to walk away feeling like a good person and I get to walk away feeling like the world has some good in it and it's great for both of us.

But it really highlights to me how it costs you nothing to be kind and not be a bigoted poo poo to the point that it's like "My dude, Santino, this was a totally unforced error and you could've just kept that poo poo to yourself." What's even the impetus? What is to be gained? Are you gonna' get new fans over it? If you do, are those the fans you want? I super don't get it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

fez_machine posted:

When people talk about MJF and Cody they frequently mention Lex Luger and Sting.

What were they like? (Plus Lex Luger is a beef boy and Sting is a crow ghost, how did they have friendship?)
Oh my god, please somebody better than me write this up.

This has huge paragraph potential.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Randaconda posted:

Things like this make me really miss NWA/WCW

:smith:
I have great news! They're both back!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pope Corky the IX posted:

We couldn't enjoy that match as much as we would've liked because we were at my friend's house for the PPV and his wife's special needs little brother was there and he was inconsolable as a huge John Cena fan.
I feel so terrible for both him and that little kid who kept yelling "Let's gooooo CeeeeeeNaaaaaaah" the whole match.

Poor kids. They're the best wrestling fans, but sometimes you have to watch them get their hearts broken and it's so sad.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TriffTshngo posted:

Kevin Owens was using a pop-up powerbomb as his finisher until this year when he came back from injury and started using the Stunner as a finisher because REMEMBER WHEN YOU ALL LOVED WWE?!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Ken Shamrock jobbing in 1988 blows my mind.

Also the Hardy's did mocap work for one or both of WrestleMania 2000 and No Mercy.
Makes sense why it all looked so good.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lid posted:

Rollins is tanking the entire business.
It'd be Reigns if it weren't Rollins. It'd be Cena if it weren't Reigns, though eventually, Cena figured out ways to succeed in spite of how WWE booked him.

They don't know how to book a top guy and never have. Name the last one who got over because of them instead of in spite of them.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The guy who's booked to never, ever win a big match? That's who you think is more over because of WWE's booking and not in spite of it? Because I'm not seeing it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lid posted:

This is recentism, with a very liberal definition of recent, BRAUN was the worst Wyatt member easily (Rowan was a better member at the time) and put in the group because they Had Plans For Him like Toman in The Shield. Notoriously he was referred to as the worst ever applicant for the performance centre, including everyone who has been rejected, and his signing was just in line with Big Huge Stiff in a time where being both big and talented is needed. Then he went solo had atrocious matches and was dying a death... and then through sheer booking sudden Braun Strowman who the "fickle fans" had every reason to give up on turned a corner and he became BRAUN. And shockingly he got better as a character and even wrestler when this happened, its a true home grown successfully executed build and push that the fans got behind.

Then they just used him to try and elevate Roman instead because their plan was Roman the Ordained, Lex Luger in a time when the fans believed in Daniel Bryan Hart.
You're absolutely right.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

Here's something to gently caress with your head: Bret Hart learned the Sharpshooter from Konnan.
Shut the gently caress up. No way!

When did Sting start doing it?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not comfortable with the assertion that Sting ever learned how to do the Sharpshooter.
Back then I actually weirdly viewed them as different moves, despite being so similar because they did them so differently. Did they use different legs? Either way, Sting's whole build between starting the move and locking it in was way different.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Randaconda posted:

that was a good feud

Raven was underutilized in WCW, especially considering how over he was
I agree with you, but he was hooked on heroin at the time.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Aye Doc posted:

real world superheroes
WWE's commentary about Ricochet has ruined this for me forever.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DeathChicken posted:

I forget who it was that had Carcinogenic Right Hands. Big Show had a typewriter-like head
Taker.

Iskanderson posted:

I'm pretty sure it was Undertaker.
Yepper.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Schneider Heim posted:

What's the best WWE game, gameplay-wise? I remember going through several iterations of Smackdown vs RAW and I thought 2006 was the most solid? I made The Prince of All Cosmos from Katamari Damacy as a heel CAW there
Wrestlemania 2000.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Explosions posted:

Fascism requires that its paper enemies be both impossibly vast and powerful, but somehow at the same time pathetic nothings. Like The Big Show.
:lol:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Whiskey Sour Larry Sweeney. Wait. No.

Drop shot drinks called Jurassic Express. Maybe.

Jello shoots.

It's Jello shoots. Make Jello shoots.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Okay.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

forkboy84 posted:

I'm not going to buy that "thinking Imagine Dragons is bad" is an outlier position.
People keep telling me to hate Imagine Dragons, and near as I can tell, the only reason to do this is so you can feel cooler than somebody who likes a thing, which a stupid reason to do something.

It doesn't make sense to hate music anymore. Back in the day, if something you hated became popular, record labels would stop signing bands you liked and start chasing that trend, so if you didn't like Nu Metal or Rap Rock in the late 90s, you were hosed. There was only so much airtime on MTV. There was only so much shelf space at the Tower Records. There was only so much radio play. So while having a visceral hatred of a genre or band was still kinda' stupid, there was at least a case to be made for why.

Now? Nobody's making you listen to poo poo. You can listen to whatever you want. Bands don't need to be signed to be heard. There's no good reason to hate a band. Just don't listen to them if you don't enjoy them and stop being a loving child about it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

forkboy84 posted:

You can say exactly the same thing about wrestling. Having opinions and discussing them with other people with opinions is fun.
You absolutely can't, because wrestling is far more finite than music. There are only two North American companies of note right now.

Defiance Industries posted:

Have you never worked in a place where they turn the radio on and leave it on the whole time?
So hate your employer. That's not the band's fault.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm starting to think you have never worked a service industry job if you think hate needs to be rationed
I'm starting to think you're an apologist for capitalism if you think your employer making you listen to music you don't like is a band's fault.

I'm not familiar with Imagine Dragons beyond Monster and Radioactive and both of those songs kick fuckin' rear end, and one was a part of the best WWE video package they've produced since the My Way Wrestlemania vid, which itself was amazing even though I loving hate Limp Bizkit, and the other's music video is about muppets knife-fighting one-another to death in an underground club.

There are no good reasons to hate music you don't like now. There are only good reasons to dislike things that don't ring your bell.

If you can tell me this is bad, I just don't know how to argue with you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsX1ATcyQxU

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 9, 2019

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Also, I work in film a bit, but the way I've been paying my bills since 2003 is DJing, KJing, and being a master of ceremonies.

This doesn't make your opinion on what music you like more important than mine, but it does mean I get to speak to how loving stupid it is to hate things and people and bands needlessly with some degree of authority.

Which is very. It's very stupid.

Let people like things.

Are you seriously asking me to think of how not liking them isn't fair to the famous musicians that make lots of money with capitalism?
Not at all. I'm saying gatekeeping people's taste? Super bad. Stop it.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 9, 2019

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If I had it to do again, I'd say I dislike Limp Bizkit's music. Your little gotcha' moment here doesn't render my point null.

Let people like things.

quote:

This doesn't make your opinion on what music you like more important than mine,
Also, I said this backwards.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Critical posted:

It was a full on Warrior in the mirror gimmick and I cannot for the life of me find anything about it. But it definitely happened.
I remember it too.

It was right up there with Kane having a fantasy sequence we could all see on Raw that time as the dumbest loving thing I've ever seen in wrestling.

Shine posted:

I call m— some people call me "The rear end-itcher."
FTFY.

I still can't believe he slipped up and almost admitted he makes up nicknames for himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I wanna' say it was 2006, 'cause I remember watching it when I lived in Texas.