Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I didn't want to put this in the AEW thread because it moves fast and seems more focused on their weekly show, but... where do I start with AEW?

A friend and I have started sporadically catching up, but so far we both find it a little confusing. I know who like 90% of the people are, but it kind of seems like AEW was heavily banking on insider fans with heavy knowledge of indies & international feds being the core audience. So I find myself having to explain to my friend who everyone is and what's going on. We watched Double or Nothing and enjoyed it, but I'm not sure whether we're supposed to go straight into All Out next, or if "Fyter Fest" was a real thing that a wrestling promotion actually titled a full PPV and if we should watch that next. I assume once we get to the point where Dynamite starts weekly, it gets a bit more focused?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Nice, thanks. I'll probably do select matches from FF and FftF (that's a lot of Fs) and then go straight to All Out.

Do any more OWE/DG guys show up? I was pretty stoked about Cima's crew showing up on DoN.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I feel like pre-existing songs by established artists shouldn't count. As fitting as Cult of Personality and All the Things She Said are for the characters, it's kind of goofy to put them up against a bunch of Jim Johnston/CFO$ stock songs. At that point they might as well include all the real songs people used on the indies when nobody bothered with licenses, like Enter Sandman.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

JERICHO PLAYIN' GAMES WITH YOUR CODPIECE

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Shine posted:

Pretty girl put your hand in my buttcheek!

Here we go eatin' jam with your corn flakes!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Why did WWF get rid of the North American title in favor of the Intercontinental title? If they already had the NA title at the time, why did they need to pretend there was a South American title/tournament to unify it?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
That's so Vince it has to be true.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Oh Christ I totally forgot about TNA Asylum posters constantly writing terrible song parodies that didn't even fit the meter. I could've lived the rest of my life not remembering that.

oldpainless posted:

It’s a joke. During Brock and romans match at WrestleMania it somehow became a thing that Brock was pissed off and people referred to Brock using “shoot f5s” on Roman as evidence.

Like there would be some major difference in execution or technique between a real and fake spinout pancake. Brock must increase the gravity when it's a shoot.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Having not been familiar with him before he came to NXT, what is Matt Riddle's appeal? I can't in good faith enjoy a guy who's character is "literally every stoner douchebro you met in college".

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I never said I liked those guys either. I skip a lot of matches and segments.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Julio Cruz posted:

Jake Roberts is another one

Yeah, it's really strange that Jake never got ANY title at all in any of his runs in major promotions. He got a few midcard titles in like, Smoky Mountain and Mid-South, but I think the closest he ever got to a recognizable title run was the NWA TV title, and even that was just whatever version they had of it in Georgia at the time.

MorrisBae posted:

How dare you forget about King Duggan
Kinda surprised they missed the opportunity to make Jake Roberts into "King Cobra".

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
In the first episode of Lucha Underground, they show Dario Cueto at Triplemania XXII offering a briefcase full of money to a bunch of the wrestlers on their roster if they'd jump ship to his new promotion. But I went back and watched that Triplemania and that segment was nowhere to be found. Was that a dark segment filmed just for the LU pilot episode, or did that actually air during the live broadcast and was cut out later?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Halloween Jack posted:

If Big John Studd counts, he was legitimately strong. Haku and Umaga were both pretty heavy for their height and famously strong. All guys who didn't look obese but didn't have a bodybuilder physique either.

How come Studd is never really mentioned along with the 80s icons? Promotional nostalgia stuff from that era always focuses on Hogan, Savage, Warrior, Andre, and to a lesser degree Dibiase, Roberts, Rude, and Perfect or the tag division at the time. Over the years I rarely heard them mention Big John Studd as a mainstay of that era, but he was a pretty big deal back in his day and he was even a Royal Rumble winner.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Red posted:

His original HBK gimmick, with Sherri (where she literally sang his song), was that he was a gigolo, right? That explains the little hat and heart-shaped glasses back then, but .... 5 years later?
I always liked Sherri's version better. Shawn singing his own song fits the egotistical character, but entering to a song that's sung by your biggest groupie just feels that much more sleazy. Also, Sherri actually sang it, where Shawn just sort of half-raps, half-speaks it.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

So I guess my question is - and this might be more suitable to a thread of its own - what are your favourite matches that don't seem to be talked about very much?
At the height of John Morrison's "prince of parkour" gimmick in I want to say 2011 or so, there was a feud where it turned out he had unexpectedly great ring chemistry with Sheamus of all people. I don't remember what PPVs the matches were on, but there were at least a couple of them and they were all surprisingly good.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Red posted:

- Sean O'Haire ended up being packaged into a devil's advocate character that went nowhere, and he disappeared before he died a few years later.

I remember having really high hopes for that, but although the vignettes were really cool, I have no idea how you'd translate that to a wrestling character even if they did push him well after that. Telling people to indulge in bad things only goes so far if they don't do what you tell them. I guess he could slowly corrupt all of his enemies, but you'd have to invest in that angle for a long time to make that effective.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MathMathCalculation posted:

I'd imagine it would be as simple as him convincing other wrestlers to follow his bad advice and then those wrestlers coming back for revenge after it blew up in their faces.

His devil's advocate stuff could be done with backstage promos/segments or like how the Godfather gave them a choice before a match: give them the opportunity to do leave the ring so they could accomplish their goal or he gets pissed when they rebuke him and they fight.

That did kind of happen, but it didn't play well on TV. He convinced Brian Kendrick to streak. And then he did. And that was it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Red posted:

There were a bunch of teams that had these kind of informal names:

Tyson Kidd and Justin Gabriel were sort of called International Airstrike. They were never billed that way on TV, but I think commentary might have mentioned the name all of like, twice.

Then there was Kyo Dai, the Tajiri/Akio/Sakoda trio, where they used the name on their website but never on TV.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I haven't watched WWE regularly in a long time, but did a little pandemic catching up on some PPVs with a free network trial. When Ambrose was leaving, they really harped on him not re-signing his contract on commentary, but didn't disparage him about it or anything, and actually sorta pushed him. Aside from Punk which was a work anyway, have they ever done the "wrestler is leaving soon, get it while it's hot" thing before? And were they trying to get him to stay, or just being really uncharacteristically positive about seeing him off?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Edge & Christian posted:

My understanding is that they believed Ambrose/Moxley/Good wasn't leaving WWE to wrestle elsewhere, but to try his hand at acting/"recharge his batteries" and so the assumption was that he'd eventually be back to wrestle in WWE so they gave him a slightly more dignified exit the way they have in the past for a Rock/Big Show/Jericho/Batista/etc. versus someone they feel the need to bury on the way out under the assumption they're headed to a competitor.

Then the "film" Ambrose was working on in the tail end of his WWE contract was the "jailbreak" video he posted the first possible second he legally could to signal he was going to go wrestle for NJPW, AEW, and anyone who would have him.

Good on him, though I imagine that must have caused some awkward work conversations for Renee.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Shine posted:

Pretty girl put your hand in my buttcheeks.

Jericho playin games with your codpiece

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The only time I can remember WWE implying that two dudes in the same bed wasn't icky was when Billy Gunn, Torrie Wilson, Jamie Noble, and Nidia had an orgy that somehow resolved their feud. They didn't imply that Gunn and Noble got it on directly, but they definitely implied that everyone was involved. There was even a scene of the aftermath where they were all laying under the covers together.

Red posted:

2. Did no one find it odd that bleeding during matches might get on fans? Looking back at Bulldog/Bret from December 95's IYH, Bret's blood gets on the fans, who just casually wipe it off. That's loving disgusting. I don't recall seeing this happen much, but was this ever a big deal in the press/from fans/etc.?

I almost can't believe how recently this happened, but Lucha Underground did this a bunch of times. Their deathmatches would always spill out into the bleachers and get all over anyone surrounding them.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Red posted:

2. You know, watching Bob Backlund, his style looks incredibly realistic, but it's also a great style for a long career. He doesn't really take crazy bumps, so he very easily could've wrestled longer than he did, if he wanted to. Is there anyone else at his level who had a style that also lent itself to longevity?
Different style, but the first one that comes to mind for me is Regal.

quote:

But to be serious, Jeff Farmer made out pretty well playing an impostor of a well-known wrestler, at least for a little while. Rick Bogner and Glen Jacobs, not so much. Has anyone ever successfully played a replacement or impostor of someone else?
It's me, I'm the one person who liked the dueling Sin Cara feud.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Defiance Industries posted:

Jake the Sanem is in bad shape but it's got nothing to do with the style he wrestled. His big spots were a short-arm clothesline and a flat-back bump. If he'd been... an entirely different person... he would probably still be able to go today.

If I remember right, Honky Tonk Man long-term hosed up Jake's back with a hit from a legit guitar that was accidentally swapped out from a prop breakapart one. Obviously the addictions were his main problem, but freak accidents and random injuries can happen to anyone in wrestling no matter how safe your style is.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Little late on the themes talk, but Asuka's theme is pretty similar to a King Crimson riff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgcK6gtx9aw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SkaPAPzxyo

A much more obvious ripoff is Jericho's WCW theme just blatantly being Evenflow, and it's not remotely subtle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gUNsskAEis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkbgtVFlyCQ

And this is just WWE ripping themselves off, but Val Venis's theme was a rework of Rick Martel's Model theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKJmlMXPbm4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdSFkbrKfq4

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Don't forget Tyson Tomko, Maven, Vladimir Kozlov, Kenny Dykstra, and The Highlanders!

Also Kenzo Suzuki, who they literally were going to debut as Hirohito.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What is routinely the worst looking spot that you see consistently? For me, it's probably the "low bridge" spot where someone pulls down the top rope so the guy barreling toward him flies to the outside. 99% of the time it just looks like the oncoming dude's entire purpose was to throw himself over the top. I can see it working for really big guys who get a huge head of steam first, but it happens all the time with people who are more than agile enough to stop.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Kennel posted:

Everyone patiently waiting in a big pile to catch the guy who dives on them.

You mean you don't lazily drape an arm over your buddies' shoulders and all face the same way when you help them up?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
^^^Un! Be! Lievable!

Shine posted:

Ditto counters to the (big) back body drop. I haven't watched WWE in a long time and maybe they are better about this now, but I feel like I went years without seeing somebody actually land the Irish whip into back body drop combo. Instead, it just became a recurring bit in wrestling matches that someone will Irish whip their opponent, and then bend over for no reason other than to be kicked in the face or sunset flipped.

It's also that you can tell the difference right away: If the move is going to succeed, the guy lowering down doesn't go down until his opponent is actually coming at him so it looks spur of the moment. If it's going to fail, the guy goes down right away and just waits there.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Is there any recent information about the AEW game? I need to finally realize my dream tag team of Kip Sabian & Kazarian with entrance music by Kasabian.

Nobody finds this joke as hilarious as I do.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

rujasu posted:

Whoa, someone else knows who Kasabian is
Mostly because I'm a big Richard Ayoade fan and he directed some of their videos, but they had a couple decent singles a while back.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

they can feud with my team of Orange Cassidy and PAC who come out to Orange Goblin
Orange Cassidy might be pulling double duty because I'd be teaming him with Pineapple Pete and QT Marshall in a fruit salad-based stable.

And if they let you create your own storylines, QT Marshall will eat apples to keep Britt Baker away from him like a vampire avoiding garlic.

AEW should let me write for them.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The title thing also highly depends on the working relationships between promotions. ROH, NJPW, Impact, AEW, NWA, etc. all generally recognize each other and many of them share rosters.

One thing I find interesting is Cage being able to carry the FTW title in AEW, even though ECW is the sole property of WWE. Even if you say on TV that it's an "unsanctioned title", it was still part of the IP's produced content. I imagine WWE could technically make a stink about that if they wanted to.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

They couldn't because it's owned by Taz. Certain IPs created in ECW were created by the wrestlers who were not under a contract that gave the company the rights to everything created by the company. Others like the Dudleys were considered to be created by the company and thus now owned by WWE although many of the wrestlers disputed this.
I wonder if that hits a grey area of copyright though, since WWE Network hosts all of the footage where it appeared. I think they'd probably have to (and want to) replace the Taz nameplate at the top with ECW, but if they ever decided to reboot the brand again, based on the fact that they own the property it came from, couldn't they theoretically bring 'back' an "ECW FTW Championship" without legal repercussions?

I wonder also if the same would apply for Zack Ryder's Internet title, since that was never officially recognized. Does WWE own that copyright too, or does Matt Cardona?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

TheKingslayer posted:

Stupid as it sounds, Demolition used to twin magic during matches. Even though it doesn't take a genius to tell that Axe and Crush aren't the same guy.
Demolition were wearing black masks at the time, though I don't know if that was always the case when they pulled a switch.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Why did AEW keep the dumb Fyter Fest name for a second year? The name and logo being references to Fyre Festival were already dated by the time of the first event. Was it a trademark thing?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Ken Shamrock had no organs. He was just a large sack of blood and sometimes he leaked, okay?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I think the deathmatch poo poo that squicks me out the most is when they do needles. I saw a clip of some promotion - I want to say Big Japan? - where someone literally shoved a syringe straight through someone's entire cheek and you could see the needle inside his mouth. I just don't get why you'd ever need to do something like that in a wrestling promotion. I guess the effect is that I'm still talking about it, but I don't want to watch it.

I kind of feel the same way about still seeing thumbtacks anytime past the 90s. Just... you don't need to do that kind of poo poo in major promotions. I'm cool with just watching wrestling, dudes.

Red posted:

Edit: Otherwise, they had a few other matches as jobbers or whatnot in 95 or 2000; the latter on JAKKED.
Wolfie D as "Slash" occasionally tagged with a pre-Mordecai Kevin Thorn, who was called "Seven" at the time. I used to watch the weekend shows pretty regularly, and Slash & Seven were the rare jobber tag team that they let get occasional offense and look good, but of course they never won.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Regarding Awesome and Taz, it still blows my mind that in the year 2000, a WWF wrestler fought a WCW wrestler in ECW, and everyone involved allowed it to happen.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Funny story about that terrible neverending promo: I got all my wisdom teeth out the week this segment aired, so I was all doped up on prescription painkillers, and I had set my VCR to record all the wrestling that aired during the week. So Taker gets in the ring and starts saying some weird poo poo about motorcycles, and I doze off from the loopiness of the meds. I woke up several hours later, it's dark outside, and Taker's still in the ring rambling about riding his bike out to the desert.

I later figured out that my VHS tape ran all the way to the end, rewound, then auto-played again, and I just happened to wake up during the exact same scene, give or take a couple minutes. But from my drug-addled post-surgery perspective, the Undertaker came to the ring and rambled for several hours about this time he buried the Big Show up to his neck in the desert. So however long it felt like that promo was for you, it was about the length of 3 Raws as far as I knew.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I can at least buy Marko Stunt as a novelty part of Jurassic Express who picks his spots and then perhaps snags a surprise rollup, but the trick with Stunt is that they never push him beyond his station. There's a certain crop of wrestlers who always get booked above their ability because they're marketable. So their strikes always look too weak and/or the bigger & faster opponents slow down to wait to take their move, or have to oversell to make it look credible. The Riho/Nyla Rose feud in AEW made me feel that way. It just didn't feel like Riho could realistically beat her, where I could totally buy Shida winning.

Sexy Star had several matches in Lucha Underground that stretched credibility too. Her strikes were OK but her opponents, especially in intergender matches, had to slow down to take her athletic moves. By contrast, I always bought Ivelisse as a credible threat to the men, and I wish they'd made her the champion instead.

Koskinator posted:

Eddie Kingston gives me this feeling.
I feel the same but for a more personal reason. He looks and acts exactly like every rear end in a top hat kid I went to high school with who tried to act like a "wrong side of the tracks" tough guy bully but never actually followed through. They were always all talk and never got into fights. I'm sure he's talented, but I can't shake that image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I get that she's been in the business for a long time, but her offense always looks weak to me.

Alaois posted:

new to sticklefifer posts, huh
Oh cool, I have a reputation for hot takes with <checks notes> Alaois